Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Whay was the halfway point of leveling?

More in terms of time, although if someone has the actual XP number I’d be interested.

I think my first two 60s (PvE) took 13 days and 10 days /played, and I think the halfway point was somewhere in levels 45-48.

The 50s were a slog IIRC.

Edit: Prior to patch 2.3.0, when leveling was reduced by roughly 1/3:
    http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Formulas:XP_To_Level
    The total experience needed to reach level 60 was 4,084,700.

The total number of same-level mobs that must be killed to reach level 60 with no rest or quests was 16,971 which would take approximately 76 hours at 16 seconds per kill.

An amusing but probably not very significant figure is that the half-way point to 60 for raw experience point accumulation is 12,550 XP into level 48.

Found this, seems 13 days is roughly top 25%, many people were in the 20+ days /played for their very first toon.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...Vanilla/page30

BTW it appears the world record for 1->60 was 116 hours, done in 7 days with 5 hours sleep/night. https://www.furiouspaul.com/wow/
    Last edited by garicasha; 2018-04-09 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it depended on how active the PVP server was, and if you did STV. When it came to my warrior, half way point was at 36-38. For my mage, it was low 40s, pobably 42 in badlands/hinterlands

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    For me, it depended on how active the PVP server was, and if you did STV. When it came to my warrior, half way point was at 36-38. For my mage, it was low 40s, pobably 42 in badlands/hinterlands
    I'd have to go with something like this, between the mount and 31 talent points, a lot of the leveling process does become easier at about 40, even if you have to travel to more remote spots of the world as you continue to level for me at least that part seemed to be faster than the stuff that preceeded it. I'd have to go with the high 30's as being the "half way point".

Mid 40's since the quests become less available, you are more likely to run into the opposite faction and there is less content available for these levels.

5+ Year Old Account
    I remember the first 40 levels being quite slow, then it improved quite a lot. Around lvl 56-57 it stalled again, because you just ran out of quests, at least until Silithus was revamped.

As Alliance? Probably mid 40s. From 1-40 you should be fine. At around 42 there's plenty of quests in Tanaris until 45, but beyond that it slows down until 48 when you can go to Felwood/Searing Gorge. At 54 the Alliance can start the Onyxia chain which involves BRD and a healthy chunk of XP.

Part of the reason I made the post is because I couldn't remember, but there is no way in hell that 36 is the halfway point of leveling. Levels 1-10 don't even count, so that would be 26 of the early levels vs 24 of the hardest. No way.

Come to think of it though...I bet halfway through Tanaris questing is a pretty good answer.

And although I remember 50->60 taking a super long time, it was possible back then to start on BRD like you said, so players could start working on end-game gear before hitting max level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Part of the reason I made the post is because I couldn't remember, but there is no way in hell that 36 is the halfway point of leveling. Levels 1-10 don't even count, so that would be 26 of the early levels vs 24 of the hardest. No way.
    This definitely revolved how active your PVP server was. STV was huge slowdown if you went there for initial Nessy quests. STV, then Searing Gorge, were the biggest pvp spots for my server. Between dodging mobs as a warrior (before you got whirlwind axe) and dodging the huge groupof gankers in STV was brutal. Past this zone, you only needed to dodge path to Blackrock Mountain.

I didn't have any trouble with lack of quests as groups were constantly doing dungeons, and though warriors were a dime a dozen, good tanks were harder to find so it was easy to do full clears of dungeons like ZF or ST for good xp. When you got to the 50s, there were a good number of quests in Un'goro and Blasted Lands to level up.

Must be only my experience though as the rest are saying low 40s which was more consistnt with my mage

Probably once you've done early Tanaris so 43-45.

Yah the halfway point may have been a little different on PvE vs PvP. Stranglethorn was obviously a VERY different experience without ganking on the PvE servers I was on.

10+ Year Old Account
    somewhere around 50. Late 50s you literally run out of quests and have to beg people to let you go on Strat/Scholo runs as a 5 Man
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Definitely mid to late 40s when you had to start scrounging for quests in Un’Goro and shit. I spent most of the last 15 levels grinding on ogres and undead.

I preferred mob grinding to pure questing for vanilla, since I was on an extremely active PvP realm, and grinding mobs in a secluded area felt more productive than dealing with distractions like murdering opposing faction, or the obnoxious "travel halfway across the planet" type quests that became common 30+

I can say that time spent per level purely grinding scaled up pretty harshly... and that 50-60 started out at roughly 8hrs/level and ended at ~11hrs/level NON RESTED

So about 90 hrs purely from 50-60.... is like 3.5ish days? and it took ~8-10 days for most people to level cap from scratch, if they knew what they where doing. So you're looking at a median point maybe in the 45-47 range.

I will say that things get CONSIDERABLY slower at 30-40 (STV @ 30 is a nightmare on a pvp realm and having no mounts makes it feel considerably slower), and it picks up again briefly in the low 40s (having the mount, and the leveling zones start getting VERY spread out) but the experience scaling kills that pretty fast and it really slows down from there...

One trick I did learn (that I probably shouldn't publicize that much, but meh) Go into Alterac Valley at 51, and kill Gnolls/Harpies in their respective caves (depending on faction)... This enables you to passively gain Alterac Valley Reputation while leveling 51-60 and puts you in a significantly better spot to unlock the epics from the rep there at 60. It's completely mind numbing mob grinding, but it saves some time in your gearing up process, particularly for alts.

OMG I remember doing that!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    13 days and 10 days /played
    I'm confused. That means you were leveling for 18 hours a day for 13 days. That... doesn't seem physically possible.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I agree that the early to mid 40s was a significant turning point in the leveling process.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

I seem to recall reading an article a while back where someone had figured out the XP needed to level, and calculated level 54 was about the half way point in terms of pure XP needed.

I also think this made no account of the fact that at later levels, more XP was earned from killing mobs than it was at lower levels.

7+ Year Old Account
    Mid 40's. 40-50 was painful to level. 50-60 actually wasn't too bad. Eyes on the prize.

30-40 = <3 due to the beautiful place called scarlet monastery.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm confused. That means you were leveling for 18 hours a day for 13 days. That... doesn't seem physically possible.
    You misread it; first toon was 13 days /played and second toon was 10 days /played. I don't know how much real-life time it was spread out over. I lost the damn hard drive that had all my screenshots, something I am still very angry at myself about.

I found this post as well, updating OP with it.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...Vanilla/page30