Looking to upgrade or new build with $1,200 budget

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on upgrading or doing a complete rebuild of my computer (5 yrs old). I have a budget of about $1,200 but if I don't need to spend that much that would be good too. I mostly just play WoW, but would like to be able to play other games at a good setting in the future if needed. Other than that, I don't do anything like video or editing just your everyday basic stuff. I appreciate any advice you could offer. Current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950

Thank you

Get a better gpu, and if you are running out of ram, another 2x4 matching memory kit; then, overclock that 3570k to at least low to mid 4 GHz.

The other games you want to play, list a few of them, as it really doesn't seem you need to update your PC besides the GPU and if you are capping RAM. The difference in IPC isn't that much if you are overclocked to make more than a few fps difference IF your GPU isn't bottlenecking you.

Finding a reasonable priced gpu might be an issue. A couple second search showed a couple 980ti for around $500 new? That is 1070-1080 performance depending on title (wait for turing tbh, maybe you can snag one in your price range for msrp if you are lucky at launch, the 1080 stuff might drop a bit at that time, hopefully mining stays crashed and they fix the memory shortage).

But really, other than that 950 being a bit weak (but I did used to run WoW at max with a 560ti years ago), getting an extra GHz on your cpu would net you some decent results and last you several years still for your purposes.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Quote Originally Posted by rythis View Post
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on upgrading or doing a complete rebuild of my computer (5 yrs old). I have a budget of about $1,200 but if I don't need to spend that much that would be good too. I mostly just play WoW, but would like to be able to play other games at a good setting in the future if needed. Other than that, I don't do anything like video or editing just your everyday basic stuff. I appreciate any advice you could offer. Current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950

Thank you
    What these guys is saying about GPUs is correct... HOWEVER, in the next few months Nvidia will be releasing its new line of GPUS. They have already said they are going to try and limit how many per person people can get to try and deter bitcoin miners and scalpers (Hopefully they will follow through) These cards should be reasonable priced if you can just wait a little while longer.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    What these guys is saying about GPUs is correct... HOWEVER, in the next few months Nvidia will be releasing its new line of GPUS. They have already said they are going to try and limit how many per person people can get to try and deter bitcoin miners and scalpers (Hopefully they will follow through) These cards should be reasonable priced if you can just wait a little while longer.
    nvidia gpu prices will continue increasing through q3
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Keep in mind that a lot of the very high prices atm are mostly from scalpers and not the big retailers, if supply was plenty we would see higher prices, but not x2 orso like now, it would be more something 20-50$ over msrp due to increased memory prices.

you can see this on newegg/amazon, if they have cards it's usually from some 3rd party seller.