Thread: Hardcore?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    It just doesn't work for a game like WoW where people can appropriately be two-shot, or even one-shot. Especially for classes that have few defensive and healing capability. The time commitment is also not great.

If the game were different, perhaps more geared like EVE, where 'gear' could be farmed safely, or bought (after farming mats/gold), and being killed means you only lose your gear, or a percentage of... It might be feasible. But you'd also have to include a much more massive list of abilities for each class to kit out properly.

But at that point, we're looking at virtually a completely different game with WoW sprites and maps.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

i'd be down with a hardcore mode as a side thing (any kind of progression raiding would be impossible, obviously) but i can see why blizzard wouldn't implement it. the bitchfest "omgg i lagged unfair death!!" type emails would be endless.

and really if you're that into the idea you can just delete your character after you die. like with the ironman challenge.
    Last edited by Broken Fox; 2018-03-05 at 06:22 AM.

Your professor is a derp

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    This idea sounds like a mod of WoW. I'm a big fan of mods, but WoW does not allow them....should it? Well..if it did there would be LOTS of them...and i myself would probably not play this specific one. I can think of a lot of other things i would like to try out in modded WoW.

As to this specific idea: It clashes with the class-design of WoW. Certain classes (and races) would be FAR stronger than others...so you would basically reduce the game down to 3 or 4 options. Seeing as you would also remove basically all PvE content from the game, which includes all of the max-level zones...it seems like there would be very, very little left to actually play?
    I agree. The more I thought about it tried to make it "viable" or even playable, the more it just became a WoW private server mod. Still, I think it sounds like a fun idea.

I also agree that there probably would be a problem with class balance, and it would only come down to a couple viable classes. I know Vanilla classes had little to know equalization when it came to fairness (If that makes sense?)

But yeah, it'd end up being just an open world arena full of Rogues, Shamans and Pallys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saiona View Post
    Your professor is a derp
    Thanks for your insightful information, and adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It just doesn't work for a game like WoW where people can appropriately be two-shot, or even one-shot. Especially for classes that have few defensive and healing capability. The time commitment is also not great.

If the game were different, perhaps more geared like EVE, where 'gear' could be farmed safely, or bought (after farming mats/gold), and being killed means you only lose your gear, or a percentage of... It might be feasible. But you'd also have to include a much more massive list of abilities for each class to kit out properly.

But at that point, we're looking at virtually a completely different game with WoW sprites and maps.
    Yeah, I hadn't considered WoW's customer support. I can't even imagine what Runescape's CS goes through, and I know WoW's complaints would be 100% worse.

And I agree it probably wouldn't work without heavy modifications. I still think it's an interesting idea that would make for a fun private server or mod if Blizzard ever ran out of ideas and went down that road.