Poll: Which do you prefer as an allied race?

Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Would you rather Void Elves or High Elves?

Now we have had a few weeks to digest the controversial concept of void elves over high elves, which would you prefer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Void elves. There is absolutely no difference between high elves and blood elves aside from skin complexion and eye color. Don't @ me because there's no debating the truth

You should create a poll. It would be easier to parse the results.

Personally I think Void Elves are way cooler. High Elves don't bring anything new to the table, but Void Elves are going to play a massive role in the fight against the Old Gods and Void Lords as the DKs did in Northrend against Arthas and DHs did in Legion against the Legion.

We already had high elves, the only real difference is the name. A political thing, nothing more. So void elves all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchbishopBenedictus View Post
    Now we have had a few weeks to digest the controversial concept of void elves over high elves, which would you prefer?
    Like we don't already have 50 of these stupid threads. High Elves are identical to belf's, just a different eye color. That was never going to happen, no matter how badly people wanted it.
    Kthxhugsbye

Quote Originally Posted by brbshower View Post
    Like we don't already have 50 of these stupid threads. High Elves are identical to belf's, just a different eye color. That was never going to happen, no matter how badly people wanted it.
    Link the last one please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieldon View Post
    We already had high elves, the only real difference is the name. A political thing, nothing more. So void elves all the way.
    It's like saying Blacks/Latinos/Whites/Asians are different races because some vote Democrat and some vote Republican.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

I'm not a great fan of either, but at least void elves have some customization options, high elves would be worse than lightforged draenei in the aspect of skin and hair colours, they would all be like "skin: fair, hair: white". At least nightborne got black and grey hair colours because they would suffer the same problem, they have 3 skin colours and from hair colours except the aforementioned black and grey all others are "some kind of white".

Lorewise neither are really great options, void elves don't really fit well into alliance faction identity (who am I kidding, faction identity is gone anyway), while high elves would be similar to gnomes - small group of people who lost everything and doesn't really contribute to anything just serves as a background.

From player perspective, void elves are better not only due to customization but especially BECAUSE they break away from typical faction identity that is attributed to the alliance. Same thing with worgen, unfortunately they suffer from lack of model update. Worgen and Void Elves are "underdogs" and "morally grey" races (Genn, leader of the Gilneans, is not exactly your typical goody two shoes guy, he's actually a quite underhanded person).

But yes, by adding variety of races like darker races to the alliance and elegant races to the horde, the faction identity is lost. The gain is, within the same faction players have wider variety of thematic to pick from. It was too boring from a player choice perspective to have several flavours of savagery on the horde and several flavours of "mostly lawful good" races on the alliance (and I've seen several posters who hate Blizzard for making night elves more "goody two shoe" than "savage" to fit this narrative).

...both?

Personally, I hope that the High Elves (and Blood Elves) that are seemingly interested in wielding the Void are eventually integrated into the political fold of the Void Elves -- allowing for them to become "Void Elves", in the sense that they're drawing power from and utilizing the Void, without actually undergoing any extreme transformations themselves (i.e. they wouldn't have Void-ed skin or hair, though perhaps their eyes would reflect their predilections).

This would exaggerate the existing distinction(s) between High Elves and Blood Elves, with the former becoming engrossed by the Void and the latter remaining staunch allies of the Light. If Blizzard wasn't kidding about extended customization for existing races going forward, shifting the visual emphasis of Blood Elves from Fel to the Light would be one welcomed by virtually everyone (perhaps excepting Warlocks and DH's, though they could quite simply leave the green eyes as an option).

Deleted
    High Elves, because they are canon, and not something some dev pulled out of their ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    They could've given High Elves slightly different skin tones, hairstyles, hair colors, builds, face paint, and even animations (like Nightborne & Zandalari) to differentiate them more from Blood Elves. It could've totally worked and it's not like Lightforged Draenei are that different from regular Draenei other than golden tattoos... and Nightborne are very similar to Night Elves. High Elves could've easily been implemented instead of Void Elves which feel like a last minute, thrown together idea that we don't need.

We already have Sylvanas as the dark Elf Archer Windrunner sister and now Alleria too? :/
    "Being bad never felt so good!"

I think both would have been cool, but I'd say void elf have more opens for interesting lore than High elf just because of the massive void / old god lore they can be related. People say they lack developpement right now because they appeared during Legion and there was a little void plot on Argus, but their storyline has just started, when the lightforged one is already over.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would've rather had High Elves instead of Void Elves but that's only if Horde never got Blood Elves. They went a different way with the story than I would have but whatever, I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchbishopBenedictus View Post
    High elves.

Void elfs are weak on several point to me. ( only strong in racials).

they look like a dreanei has mated with a high elf. ( the skin color + the glowing hair looks like horns). Also their story makes NO sense at all. If a future patch was void based maybe. Or in a void expansion. But right now it makes no sense lore wise. Just like lightforged they are a weak ( story AND design wise) race.

But lets be honest. Out of all the allied races horde has 4 races ( dreanor orcs being 4th) that have a lot of story potential + 3 of them look cool ( cows less cool) + getting all new druid forms. ( while alliance only has 2 druid races. 1 who uses the same but slightly alter models for druid forms of the other).
    vs
    Alliance who has 1 race with story potential ( DI dwarfs) , who happen to be the only cool looking race at that.
    Because lets be honest:
    - void elves are just ugly painted high elves.
    - light forged are just dreanei with demon hunter tatoo's and a naruu mark that does not turn of. ( and are a sub class of paladin but only for the alliance?!?!)
    - kul tiran humans...do not get me started on them. Instead of giving us those ugly models + normal looking proudmoore models/khadgar models we only get the ugly models. who look REALLY ugly. Yes they look cool in some armor. But most armor they look really bad in. Next to that storywise the ruined a great race. Kul tirans where a great strong navel race. Now they look like inbred fisher(wo)men ( weak and sleazy , criminal ones at that).

should've just been a toggle option in char creation... similar to how you choose horde/alliance

when you toggle blood elf, x y z customization pops up with the appropriate lore.

when you toggle high elf, a b c customization pops up with the appropriate lore.

Other games kind of have things like this.

7+ Year Old Account
    High elves. Void elves are just so lame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranj View Post
    High Elves, because they are canon, and not something some dev pulled out of their ass.
    This is why we cant have nice things.

A person from Blizzard made the high elves. A person from Blizzard made the void elves.

Its the same fucking people.

Just because it wasnt introduced in the RTS games doesnt mean its not canon.

Why isnt it possible to enter these threads without getting a headache due to the sheer fucking ignorance of some people

10+ Year Old Account
    Would rather have High Elves. Then again, just complete a questline for the Blood Elves already and Horde will have the High Elves.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyersing View Post
    ...both?

Personally, I hope that the High Elves (and Blood Elves) that are seemingly interested in wielding the Void are eventually integrated into the political fold of the Void Elves -- allowing for them to become "Void Elves", in the sense that they're drawing power from and utilizing the Void, without actually undergoing any extreme transformations themselves (i.e. they wouldn't have Void-ed skin or hair, though perhaps their eyes would reflect their predilections).
    If Blizzard was going to do that, they wouldn't have made Void Elves in the first place. You know this. Once again, if you want to play a High Elf you have to play a Blood Elf. If you can't stomach the Horde, you can play a 95% match that happens to be blue and has some tentacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyersing View Post
    This would exaggerate the existing distinction(s) between High Elves and Blood Elves, with the former becoming engrossed by the Void and the latter remaining staunch allies of the Light. If Blizzard wasn't kidding about extended customization for existing races going forward, shifting the visual emphasis of Blood Elves from Fel to the Light would be one welcomed by virtually everyone (perhaps excepting Warlocks and DH's, though they could quite simply leave the green eyes as an option).
    But they don't have distinctions because they are the same race divided by ideology and not physiology. And if they consume the Void, they turn into Void Elves.

What you are hoping for defeats the point of Blizzard making Void Elves, which was to give the Alliance a 'close enough' High Elf variant that was still distinctive from a real High/Blood Elf.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bryrida View Post
    They could've given High Elves slightly different skin tones, hairstyles, hair colors, builds, face paint, and even animations (like Nightborne & Zandalari) to differentiate them more from Blood Elves.
    They did exactly this and called them Void Elves and you still aren't happy.

Void Elves even had a more muscular build to start with but that was toned down during testing to a more Blood Elf style, likely due to feedback.

What you really want is something that looks exactly like a Blood Elf.