Question How To Play FFXIV With 5 Man Party?

My friends and I are giving WOW a break and got FFXIV (3 of us already had it). Well we started last night, after we got all the airship points etc. First raid/dungeon................4 man only. So question is, what can we do (no hacking, cheating of course) to play like this? When a raid/dungeon comes up, split up and say do it twice, one DPS sits back each time? How much of the main story is raid/dungeons and we will have to make this sit and wait thing happen? We really like the game, its fun but we hit that brick wall, one friend got called for work (oh lovely on call) so we stopped. If there is an answer already, please close this and point me to the answer, thanks!

all dungeons, deep dungeon and the like are 4 man. raids and large events are 8-24 man. but they are lvl.50 onwards.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    get 3 more people

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    You could split into to parties, one 2-man and one 3-man. Not ideal, but this game is kinda built around 4 party members, so there's not really a way around it... The main story requires you to do a fair share of dungeons too.

Light party content (dungeons) are all 4 man only. There are hard/extreme mode trials and raids later on that are 8 man, and then there's alliance raids which are 24 man (3 sets of 8 man parties). You'll have to either do a 3/2 split like the above poster mentioned, or someone will have to straight up pug it. If you do split up into 2 groups, hopefully you have tank in one group and healer in the other for the purpose of faster queue times.