What's with overpower in warcraftlogs?

Can't post links yet, but if you're on warcraftlogs and for example look at heroic garothi and then filter to arms talents, overpower is on the top.

None of the guides recommend Overpower - either Dauntless or SS. Why is Overpower showing up like this in the logs?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Overpower was never far below dauntless IIRC. The 2-pc set bonus disproportionately improves OP because it nearly always crits. I am still uncertain whether or not it could outscale dauntless.

EDIT:

Just ran raidbots on my warrior. He is ~965 equipped with 990 weapon, 910 arcanocrystal, and 1000 regular pantheon trinket. Overpower simmed at 2.1% dps loss versus dauntless.

IIRC the difference was much bigger for me at ~930 ilevel, OP was like 4% behind. Maybe the mythic people have enough ilevel to reach a breakpoint
    Last edited by mrchee; 2018-03-05 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrchee View Post
    Overpower was never far below dauntless IIRC. The 2-pc set bonus disproportionately improves OP because it nearly always crits. I am still uncertain whether or not it could outscale dauntless.

EDIT:

Just ran raidbots on my warrior. He is ~965 equipped with 990 weapon, 910 arcanocrystal, and 1000 regular pantheon trinket. Overpower simmed at 2.1% dps loss versus dauntless.

IIRC the difference was much bigger for me at ~930 ilevel, OP was like 4% behind. Maybe the mythic people have enough ilevel to reach a breakpoint
    You're right that Overpower was never far from Dauntless, but the ranks on WCL are less about breakpoints and more about the fact that they're so close, you can easily be successful using it. Remember, there are a lot of factors which go into ranking, often the least of which is the difference between two competitive talents or pieces of gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchee View Post

EDIT:

Keep in mind that the number simcraft spits out is the statistical expected value. But for high ranking, the statistical variance can be more important.

Its perfectly plausible for Overpower to have a higher DPS at two standard deviations (for example). And thats going to make it superior specifically for #1 parses.

In other words look at the DPS at +2σ, not at 0σ.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2018-03-06 at 11:35 PM.