Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by plagueshard801 View Post
    It's no mystery why this is happening. Blizzard created hype when they announced classic. There are people who are excited, and don't want to wait for a time that hasn't even been announced, so they are playing on private servers to pass the time.
    Or the people that does not give a shiit about classic because it probbaly wont be free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    And you came to this mind blowing conclusion how, exactly? Is there any paid Classic alternative atm? Ah, that's what I thought
    You really think people will stop playing on private servers once classic will be released?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Not a surprise, seems like a lot of the people who want classic just want to play wow without paying for it.
    Your argument is outdated buddy, sorry :s

Yeah, thats why people cry when its brought up that they will have to pay for it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    You really think people will stop playing on private servers once classic will be released?
    Not everyone ofc, but I can speak for me: I've played pservers for a long time because retail simply wasn't my cup of tea. I returned for Legion, I think it's just mediocre, and I could care less about B4A. In fact, I've already unsubbed. But I would gladly sub again to play Classic on an official server. Presumably, a noticeable portion of the pservers crowd might do the same, which means more monies for Blizzard. Which is the main point of everything it does, after all.

Freeloaders playing private servers because they don't want to pay, who knew?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The classic announcement gave private servers more publicity, and since the release date of WoW Classic is still unknown, people go play whats available right now, because gamers are a impatient breed.

Some might even play on them to practice leveling routes for when Classic release

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    What is the current paid alternative?

What is the current paid alternative?
    Let's not kid ourselves... even if Classic was available right now a LOT of people would still play on private servers simply because it's free. That, or they don't want to commit on official rates and instead opt for high rated servers.

And I ain't talking just about WoW, I am talking about players who play on any private server of whatever MMO, etc. in general. WoW is no exception to this.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-03-07 at 06:26 PM.

Let's not kid ourselves... even if Classic was available right now a LOT of people would still play on private servers simply because it's free. That, or they don't want to commit on official rates and instead opt for high rated servers.

And I ain't talking just about WoW, I am talking about players who play on any private server of whatever MMO, etc. in general. WoW is no exception to this.
    And just how do you know this? The only objective fact relevant to what was said was that there is currently no paid-for alternative.

One thing alot of Vanilla fans have in common however, is that they agree early iterations of WoW are a completely different game, one that cannot be found with Legions. Some play both current and Vanilla; some play only Vanilla.

PS-One of the mentioned very popular places has already announced they are shutting down when Blizzard launches Classic. It's hard to play for free when there is no server to connect to. The players there are already committed to official legacy when it comes out. People love populated servers, as you said. They will come.

Deleted

Would many people still play on private servers afterwards because it's free? Absolutely.

Would the majority refuse to pay for classic? Hell no.

I've been playing on vanilla, tbc and wotlk servers for years because there's literally no alternative. And believe me, out of all the people I met, all the guilds I played with, the vast majority was in the same situation (roughly 70-80% of the private server community is in that case in my honest opinion).

I'll admit that I'm a bit annoyed everytime someone says something like "you guys just don't want to pay, you'll play anything in order to avoid paying", because that's very far from being true: the private server scene has evolved A LOT these past 4 years, and that's partly because of nostalrius and the legacy movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    And just how do you know this? The only objective fact relevant to what was said was that there is currently no paid-for alternative.

One thing alot of Vanilla fans have in common however, is that they agree early iterations of WoW are a completely different game, one that cannot be found with Legions. Some play both current and Vanilla; some play only Vanilla.

PS-One of the mentioned very popular places has already announced they are shutting down when Blizzard launches Classic. It's hard to play for free when there is no server to connect to. The players there are already committed to official legacy when it comes out. People love populated servers, as you said. They will come.
    And I wish them the best when Classic is available.

Was merely pointing out the fact that a lot of players simply play on private servers because it's free, and even then there are private servers for official F2P MMOs because they got higher XP and drop rates.

They are the closest thing to Vanilla available, what do you expect? Most people dgaf about legal stuff (which is quite a grey area btw) anyway.
    It is more to do with the forum rules of not discussing them. Even linking to sites that discuss them is usually not allowed. People can't go 5 minutes without talking about them and in turn naming the servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arckos View Post
    Most people only go there because of a lack of alternative. Sure we'll get one in the future so I'm not complaining at all, but since there's been literally 0 feedback so far, the community is starting to get impatient.
    Who freaking cares how impatient they get? They can get impatient all they want and go and do whatever they want about it, does not excuse them for breaking forum rules.

And I wish them the best when Classic is available.

Was merely pointing out the fact that a lot of players simply play on private servers because it's free, and even then there are private servers for official F2P MMOs because they got higher XP and drop rates.
    There are definitely down sides to playing an unofficial version of a game. Lack of account security, GM accountability, moderating chat channels, stability, and server longevity, as examples. It's not all rose gardens.

When a game can no longer be experienced any longer, the good outweighs the bad for many. But if the game is currently out, there becomes fewer and fewer reasons to put up with the hassles and frustrations.

I expect some countries will continue to use private servers more than others. Poorer countries with slower computers and older operating systems. I recall an article indicating that XP is still the popular OS in some parts of the world.

As for emulators of games currently out - that's kind of weird to me. I would rather pay for the real deal if it's available. To see the game with other people as it was meant to be seen and experienced.

Blizz is certainly taking its sweet time to announce anything beyond the fact that "they are committed to making Classic servers", like Mr. Brack said.
    Taking away from the new expansion would be a poor marketing strategy currently. I would put money on it that you hear next to nothing until BFA is launched. Then there will be some info trickled out with the hype machine going full steam ahead at next Blizzcon. Blizzcon attendees/virtual ticket holders will get Beta access and a launch early in the new year after the second raid goes live in BFA. This is the most logical timeline for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Because going from announcement of a game to full release is the same as pressing 1 button.
    Of course not, but the game is literally already made for them. They have to patch some bugs and exploits, make the game function on modern hardware, setup their infrastructure, and train GMs/server techs etc. to run the servers once they're up.

I'm sure all of that is time consuming and somewhat complicated, but it's not like they're making the game from scratch again.

This is a gross misunderstanding of the actual Private Server community. Yes, a small amount of people do just want to freeload and will play any version of WoW as long as it's free... but the majority of them are on MoP-Legion servers, of which there are many, and most are VERY low quality. Those people are idiots.

The majority, however, just want to play Vanilla-WotLK, whether Blizzard provides it (at a cost) or a private server provides it (for free).
    Last edited by Marxman; 2018-03-08 at 02:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't do threads about illegal private servers here.

Closed.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ate-servers***
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."