Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Adding more weapons than what was available in vanilla is what they did in retail and look how that turned out!
    What the most successful MMO in the history of MMO's......yup really proving your point there.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    People asked for all kinds of things. Blizzard added many of them in the expansions over the years. Classic is about the version of WoW we had in the beginning, not some new, odd mix of Legion-vanilla-whatever.
    Classic is not Vanilla......Repeat after me Classic is not vanilla......now breathe deeply. There will be changes, additions, code cleanup, likely the new API's as they are more secure and stop many hacks that were available in classic through addons. There is a reason they have said it will be Vanilla like experience because they know they can not take a vanilla server code and DB and dump it on hardware and expect it to run well and be secure. The faster you get that through you head that faster you will be able to accept this reality. Look at it logically, PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Classic is not Vanilla......Repeat after me Classic is not vanilla......now breathe deeply. There will be changes, additions, code cleanup, likely the new API's as they are more secure and stop many hacks that were available in classic through addons. There is a reason they have said it will be Vanilla like experience because they know they can not take a vanilla server code and DB and dump it on hardware and expect it to run well and be secure. The faster you get that through you head that faster you will be able to accept this reality. Look at it logically, PLEASE
    Yes, it's as close to vanilla as possible while of course fixing actual technical bugs and such. Or at least, thats what they said they would do.
    Adding new stuff, changing how classes, encounters and items work and so on would be an absolute disaster.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Yes, it's as close to vanilla as possible while of course fixing actual technical bugs and such. Or at least, thats what they said they would do.
    Adding new stuff, changing how classes, encounters and items work and so on would be an absolute disaster.
    I have the feeling that one thing is what Blizz says, and quite another what they actually do, as it has happened several times already. I am already expecting a Patchwerk-wow, with pre-Cata zones but with LFR, pet battles, heirlooms, tokens, achievements and homogeneized classes. It's going to be a real treat

10+ Year Old Account
    The framework was laid in Vanilla except the quests actually took ability to play the game and we not face roll like they currently are.
    today's blizzard doesn't make quests like that.

everyone should be able to complete everything in the game (on some difficulty or other) without much trouble.

Accessibility is the A in A/B.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I have the feeling that one thing is what Blizz says, and quite another what they actually do, as it has happened several times already. I am already expecting a Patchwerk-wow, with pre-Cata zones but with LFR, pet battles, heirlooms, tokens, achievements and homogeneized classes. It's going to be a real treat
    We already call this the Frankenstein server here. Frankenstein is not an unsympathetic name, at least in the novel, and while I didn't think of calling them Abomination Servers, it would seem to be a rather pejorative name, comparatively.

Patchwerk probably works as well if not better than frankenstein, though, for existing players. I cannot remember now if frankenstein was a single animated corpse or cobbled together in the original (I think he was, he was 'unspeakably ugly'), but patchwerk certain is/was.

there are some great graphics possible once they start discussing specific changes, take a close-up of an abomination, have arrows with text showing where each change came from, keep the skin as 'classic wow 1.x' or whatever. the intestines hanging out 'multiple raid difficulties 3.x', the third arm 'pet battles 5.x?' etc etc

Another one would involve Igor stealing Abby Normal's brain in Young Frankenstein.

edit - ooh, you posted in that thread
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-03-10 at 02:43 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    there are some great graphics possible once they start discussing specific changes, take a close-up of an abomination, have arrows with text showing where each change came from, keep the skin as 'classic wow 1.x' or whatever. the intestines hanging out 'multiple raid difficulties 3.x', the third arm 'pet battles 5.x?' etc etc
    I legitimately giggled Even if Blizz is sewing the monster as we speak.

7+ Year Old Account
    There will likely be new models, sharding on a server by server basis at launch(only way to handle the influx of players), some QoL changes, etc. and there is currently no definition for what Classic WoW is, all they have said that it will be a vanilla LIKE experience.
    Ha-ha-ha-ha... No!
    Indeed. It was like - gotcha man! you just f* up your troll line

Although there was no need for such (both) detailed commentaries, just ask: where should stop snowball dropped from the mountain?
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2018-03-10 at 09:19 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Deleted
    Played vanilla and currently and clearly remember there was a thread on every forum weekly asking when and providing descriptions for what the weapon could be and the questline.
    I played vanilla and I dont remember this AT ALL.

The only thing I remember was all the hype about Ashbringer and how people through it could be fished up etc.
    https://www.engadget.com/2010/07/20/...ft-ashbringer/

Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    Ha-ha-ha-ha... No!Indeed. It was like - gotcha man! you just f* up you troll line

Although there was no need for such (both) detailed commentaries, just ask: where should stop snowball dropped from mountain?
    Oh a reply post where you pick and choose what will come from current game and what they can leave out....They will have to improve models if they want to be 4k compatible as well as the new new shaders to function better with the newer versions of Direct X. It is going to be built on the current game, I will say that the spell effects will have to be tamed down from current due to 40 man raids destroying computers with the rainbow.
    They are going to have to come up with a method to handle the 1000 people in every starting zone. Guess what Sharding is the best method of doing it as it allows the load to be balanced across multiple instances of the zone. I am not saying you will see CRZ but you will see sharding to handle the load. But once the majority of people realize that Classic is not the game they remember or thought it would be there will be a drop off and they can disable it once it is no longer needed.
    QoL changes.....you will see some, not major ones but things like mailing multiple items, the current AH layout, Guild banks.....things like these.

But hey keep dreaming of a vanilla server, cause that is where it will exist

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh a reply post where you pick and choose what will come from current game and what they can leave out....They will have to improve models if they want to be 4k compatible as well as the new new shaders to function better with the newer versions of Direct X. It is going to be built on the current game, I will say that the spell effects will have to be tamed down from current due to 40 man raids destroying computers with the rainbow.
    They are going to have to come up with a method to handle the 1000 people in every starting zone. Guess what Sharding is the best method of doing it as it allows the load to be balanced across multiple instances of the zone. I am not saying you will see CRZ but you will see sharding to handle the load. But once the majority of people realize that Classic is not the game they remember or thought it would be there will be a drop off and they can disable it once it is no longer needed.
    QoL changes.....you will see some, not major ones but things like mailing multiple items, the current AH layout, Guild banks.....things like these.

But hey keep dreaming of a vanilla server, cause that is where it will exist
    Old story. Still so-o-o-o weak, classic supported 4k and also working good with new DXs. You want more links about "models"? I can arrange this for you. Also don't tell me about "huge numbers of effects" - Classic didn't abuse it much in contrast to retail

Sharding can be bypassed by a good launch time - when there will be a minimum number of "tourists" and launching several servers/adding a hard cap of population which will change over time (ex.: 1000-1st week, 2000-2nd week, 2500-1st month, 5000-half year). Not looking at fact that you obviously hate classic, for some reason you think that there will be millions of people there, so it's more convenient for your line. In half a year after launch situation will settle down sufficiently to have an idea of necessary number of "virtual areas". It will be clear after that how many servers to leave (= merge) and no shards will be required.

I'm not a system administrator, not a programmer, but even I have some dilettante ideas about how to get around those or other problems. I was at the start of several privat servers (not for play, but for lanch experience of how it looks), it wasn't fatal problem even for people who aren't developers. Fear has big eyes. - But I suspect that it is more correct to say here that "fat troll is fat".

Those, who really wanted classic will still play it without QoL added - so why waste time adding something that wasn't and isn't key part of the game? Again "changes for the sake of change" philosophy. Moreover, I knowingly cited the snowball effect as an example - Classic was an integral game with unbroken dependencies between different parts of it (it's not retail with its division into pieces that are not working). So one change hooks some more part of the game, an attempt to balance it will cause even more changes, etc. So where we going to stop then?

FORWARD>>
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-02-04 at 10:48 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    I played vanilla and I dont remember this AT ALL.

The only thing I remember was all the hype about Ashbringer and how people through it could be fished up etc.
    https://www.engadget.com/2010/07/20/...ft-ashbringer/
    I frequented the Lock and Warrior forums mainly, some rogue but that was to troll them on how they could not kill a Demo lock. The lock ones were filled with quests which involved enslaving demons, beating demons or sacrificing your life to gain more power in the form of a weapon, things like a demons spine in staff form, Teron'gor's staff, or other powerful relics. The warrior one ranged from Varian's sword, Gorehowl and a weapon forge by the dark iron dwarves.

Deleted
    I frequented the Lock and Warrior forums mainly, some rogue but that was to troll them on how they could not kill a Demo lock. The lock ones were filled with quests which involved enslaving demons, beating demons or sacrificing your life to gain more power in the form of a weapon, things like a demons spine in staff form, Teron'gor's staff, or other powerful relics. The warrior one ranged from Varian's sword, Gorehowl and a weapon forge by the dark iron dwarves.
    There was no such thing as a demo lock in vanilla. Your story is getting more and more strange lol.

Well... Yeah, probably. Or should I say sadly.

Vanilla had a lot of loose ends I feel they could tie up. The questline involving the Essence of Eranikus would be a great one.

Feral Druid Tanking weapons: Unyielding Maul (DM North Tribute run) or the Warden Staff (BoE world drop) Pre-raid

After AQ40, Silithus
    Feral Druid Cat weapons: Blessed Qiraji War Hammer (AQ40 Quest), The End of Dreams (Naxx), Mace of Unending Life (AQ REP)
    Then ofcourse the Legendary staff that added 400'ish AP in Cat or Bear.

Vanilla had the items, just have to find them.

10+ Year Old Account
    improvement might be image of the room in undercity where an abom. is being assembled, that way components lying/hanging around could be identified and the nature of the beast more explicitly illustrated.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HavokHeart View Post
    Exactly. They literally did exactly what the OP is suggesting in Legion.
    My understanding is that in Legion the players literally get handed their class weapons. That's rather the opposite of classic, where if your Priest was packing Anathema or you got whacked upside the head by a Hunter with Lok'delar, you knew those players were both good at their class and had gone through the Twisting Nether to get them.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    There was no such thing as a demo lock in vanilla. Your story is getting more and more strange lol.
    LOL, demo lock in pvp were 1v1 kings, give me a healing pali and we could hold Lumber mill all day long. There were no demo locks in PVE(unless you count demo sac). Use soullink with a voidwalker and you take 50% less damage and 60% less physical + armor reduction. Rogues would do almost nothing to you.
    Last edited by Chaelexi; 2018-03-12 at 01:43 AM.

I'd say No to this. Yes, it would be cool - I'm all for greater class customization, or questlines that make you feel special as that class, but adding new content to Classic goes against the spirit of a Classic realm. One of my biggest, non-selfish reasons for wanting Classic is so we have this snapshot to look back at the history of how this game started. If you add things to the game, that snapshot of history loses itself and no longer reflects the starting point of the game.

All these requests to add or change the game confuse me. We started playing this game 13 years ago, and we LOVED it - so much that many of us no-lifed for many months afterwards. Yes, some changes have improved gameplay, some haven't really affected gameplay itself but have filled out the world, or made tedious things easier - many, many good things have happened since Classic was released. Others have been negative - good on paper, but in practice took away from the feel of the world. Regardless of these improvements, the base game was really good! We wouldn't have gotten so hooked if it wasn't really good to begin with. Why do we want to change things? Why can't we just return to how it was?

Please don't.

It literally was the selling point for Legion, a unique weapon for every spec. Just enjoy it there, ugh.

I'm fine with new content to classic that fits the classic-like experience. Since we're talking about weapons, I can use that as an example:

Current Live Class-Weapon Experience:
    - Acquire quest from the start, get legendary

Classic Class-Weapon Experience (For those classes that had them):
    - Progress through raid content to acquire quest item (Priest, Molten Core. Warrior, Onyixa. Hunter, Molten Core. etc)
    - Complete additional raid content to progress quest (e.g. Hunter killing Onyxia for sinew)
    - Go on long world quests to complete (sometimes) difficult objectives

If Blizz approaches new content from the classic methodology, I see no problem there. I think a lot of people get hung up on adding new content as if it would be identical to current live content. Considering their goal is to make this classic-like, it's more likely that new content design would be focused on a classic-like model.

Just my 2c. I'm fine with or without.