1. #25541
    Herald of the Titans Ardenaso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Nope, that was waaaaaaay after he said we would never get them.
    I see; anyway, if you don't mind me moving the goalpost: Blood Elves are still High Elves
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

    I make Warcraft 3 Reforged custom models that intends to fill the gaps in the Reforged campaign

  2. #25542
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    They should give velves the worgen treatment. Two forms one void one not. You're able to custom both and able to be out of combat as either. But in combat you go void. I think that's the best compromise that wouldn't crap on the velve's VOID identity and still keep you helfers happy.

    Also I've been thinking about my stance on race/class combos and honestly to pull the ripcords on race restriction and come up with w/e crazy lore to justify it.

    My biggest gripe against that was maghar locks and DH's. But then I realized that belf locks can have light eyes so maybe blizz could spin it so that maghar locks meditate hard to not succumb to fel corruption and maghar DH could be the only DH without visible demonic corruption and instead something else to further emphasize their iron will.

    So there, somehow make velf pallies to SOMEHOW not implode on themselves.
    Well, undead usually burned when exposed to the Light, yet we've seen several Undead using the Light, most recently Calia Menethil.

    As for paladin class, tauren and zandalari are not in fact "real" paladins either. Tauren are sunwalkers, basicaly druids focusing on Light of An'she, who took more militant approach. Zandalari are prelates and they draw their power from Loa, not from the Holy Light or Naaru.

    Considering this, Void elf paladins could be similar case, being basicaly "Dark paladin" archetype. They could come back to original Blood Knight concept of bending the Light to their will, possibly with the connection the the Naaru cycle of Light and Void. I can certainly imagine story where Void elves find dying Naaru somewhere in Telogrus and began to use it as a source of their power.

    Only thing that matters is if Blizzard will ever want to add Void elf paladins or not. There is lore which can make it possible. Now, I'm not super interested in that option (I'd rather see night elf and kul tiran paladins first), but I'm not saying it's impossible.
    Last edited by Vaedan; 2021-09-21 at 10:32 AM.

  3. #25543
    The Patient Shadowtwili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaedan View Post
    (I'd rather see night elf and kul tiran paladins first)
    Hear me out!

    Gilnean. Worgen. Paladin.

    It must happen!

  4. #25544
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaedan View Post
    Well, undead usually burned when exposed to the Light, yet we've seen several Undead using the Light, most recently Calia Menethil.

    As for paladin class, tauren and zandalari are not in fact "real" paladins either. Tauren are sunwalkers, basicaly druids focusing on Light of An'she, who took more militant approach. Zandalari are prelates and they draw their power from Loa, not from the Holy Light or Naaru.

    Considering this, Void elf paladins could be similar case, being basicaly "Dark paladin" archetype. They could come back to original Blood Knight concept of bending the Light to their will, possibly with the connection the the Naaru cycle of Light and Void. I can certainly imagine story where Void elves find dying Naaru somewhere in Telogrus and began to use it as a source of their power.

    Only thing that matters is if Blizzard will ever want to add Void elf paladins or not. There is lore which can make it possible. Now, I'm not super interested in that option (I'd rather see night elf and kul tiran paladins first), but I'm not saying it's impossible.
    Calia is not a regular vanilla undead and was raised by the light. Regular Undead priests channel light, causing them great pain, but they're not imbued with it like a paladin is.

    Also tauren and zanda are both paladins. Just a different flavor. Like how blood knights are a different flavor. If sunwalkers weren't paladins then they'd be chilling with druids in their order hall and not be contributing to the paladin's forces in legion.

    They all use light, despite drawing from different forces.

    Velves using light the same way a paladin does is like ragnaros using water magic

    Lore that would justify velves would have to be outlandish.

  5. #25545
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    Calia is not a regular vanilla undead and was raised by the light. Regular Undead priests channel light, causing them great pain, but they're not imbued with it like a paladin is.

    Also tauren and zanda are both paladins. Just a different flavor. Like how blood knights are a different flavor. If sunwalkers weren't paladins then they'd be chilling with druids in their order hall and not be contributing to the paladin's forces in legion.

    They all use light, despite drawing from different forces.

    Velves using light the same way a paladin does is like ragnaros using water magic

    Lore that would justify velves would have to be outlandish.
    Similarly, void elves could feel great pain while using Light. Void elves exploding or imploding when trying Light is just headcanon, we actually never seen that. Also, we have seen Lightforged (a beings imbued with the Light) being raised as Death Knights. Light and undeath were always strongly opposite, basicaly Light burning down undead effectively. We've not yet seen such effect of the Light on Void based beings. In fact, it appears there is a connection between Light and Void as confirmed in Naaru's lifecycle. Also, Xal'atath calls Naaru beloved siblings when you enter Netherlight Temple. It's not that outlandish.

    Sunwalkers were born of a druidic sect which decided to fully embrace Sun to complement traditional Lunar based elven teachings and set balance in the Order. So yes, they are different flavor of a paladin. The point is that they approach Light differently (by more druidic approach), so there is a precedent for Void elves to use Light differently too.

  6. #25546
    The lore is trash, anyway, might as well go all the way. I'd like to see magh'ar orc paladins, there's at least some lore to justify it, as some of them did convert to light-worship.

  7. #25547
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaedan View Post
    Similarly, void elves could feel great pain while using Light. Void elves exploding or imploding when trying Light is just headcanon, we actually never seen that. Also, we have seen Lightforged (a beings imbued with the Light) being raised as Death Knights. Light and undeath were always strongly opposite, basicaly Light burning down undead effectively. We've not yet seen such effect of the Light on Void based beings. In fact, it appears there is a connection between Light and Void as confirmed in Naaru's lifecycle. Also, Xal'atath calls Naaru beloved siblings when you enter Netherlight Temple. It's not that outlandish.

    Sunwalkers were born of a druidic sect which decided to fully embrace Sun to complement traditional Lunar based elven teachings and set balance in the Order. So yes, they are different flavor of a paladin. The point is that they approach Light differently (by more druidic approach), so there is a precedent for Void elves to use Light differently too.
    See, I hear you. But the duality of light and void is more of a priest gimmick. Paladin are all about the light and light only. Undead/velf priests only feel pain and not implode since they only channel the light.

    As for LFD, DK's are a special kind of undead. I would assume they're a similar case to calia, between being light forged and a DK.

    Yeah sure blizz could use the priest gimmick and apply it to velf pallies somehow but theirs a difference between a mortal channeling light and void in harmony and then being of being of pure void becoming imbued with light. But who knows what they can come up with.

    It's just outlandish based on current lore.

  8. #25548
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    See, I hear you. But the duality of light and void is more of a priest gimmick. Paladin are all about the light and light only. Undead/velf priests only feel pain and not implode since they only channel the light.

    As for LFD, DK's are a special kind of undead. I would assume they're a similar case to calia, between being light forged and a DK.

    Yeah sure blizz could use the priest gimmick and apply it to velf pallies somehow but theirs a difference between a mortal channeling light and void in harmony and then being of being of pure void becoming imbued with light. But who knows what they can come up with.

    It's just outlandish based on current lore.
    Yes, the most important part of your argument is current lore. I agree to make them work, they'd need to explain it properly, but there are already hooks to make it happen. If Calia and LFD DKs can be special kinds of undead, why could not be void elf paladins special kind as well? Other option is that void elf paladins would be one of the sugggest class skin, using void animations and being paladin only through gameplay, but they'd use void instead of Light canonicaly.

    On the other hand, I think there are more interesting race/class combinations. Paladins are not crucial part of high elf identity either, so I don't feel that void elves/high elves are incomplete without the class. I personaly would prefer void elf shamans as kind of dark shamans and exploring connection between Void and Elements (we know that elements were enslaved by the Void back before).

  9. #25549
    I saw this on Wowhead, what are your thoughts on this? I very much enjoy this concept a lot:





    With some Blood Knights exiled for their research in M'uru, it was realised that so too can other Dark Naaru powers be bent to their will.
    With the teachings of old former High Elven paladins of the Silver Hand, some Void Elves have begun to attempt to cleanse their void.

    Blood Elves can be Paladins - why can't Void Elves?

    The idea here is one that builds off the old Blood Knight Lore. Back in the day, Blood Elves drained magic from the Naaru M'uru to acquire their power which later lead to the collapse and creation of a Dark Naaru. The concept here was to build upon that old idea of using energies from the Naaru to acquire Light-based powers, but flip it upon itself to drain those energies for Void themed powers.
    This, of course, could lead to a rift within the Ren'dorei and lead some to lean more towards the light-side of the Naaru while others fully embrace its dark, twisted form.

    The concept on the left (above) would essentially grant Void Elves a base-Paladin skin (for all those High Elves out there) while still leaning into the Void themed with the idea of a 'Void Paladin'.

    The Riftblade spell kit would easily transfer to Void Elf Priests, Mages and even Warlocks to give them all a 'Void theme'

    https://it.wowhead.com/news/goblin-p...n-races-324234


    I love the idea of Ren'dorei "dark paladins" siphoning their powers from a Dark Naaru. Not only because it ties back to what the Blood Knight did in TBC (they did it with a Light Naaru), but it also ties into Alleria herself, who absorbed a Dark Naaru in Legion.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2021-09-21 at 10:01 PM.

  10. #25550
    I am Murloc! Geisl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I saw this on Wowhead, what are your thoughts on this? I very much enjoy this concept a lot:

    Should definitely happen. Class/Race restrictions are super out-dated imo. For how often the WoW team asserts being 'gameplay first' they sure do restrict a lot in terms of character customization department 'due to lore'.

  11. #25551

  12. #25552
    I am Murloc! Geisl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post

    Oh man.........


  13. #25553
    Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    Should definitely happen. Class/Race restrictions are super out-dated imo. For how often the WoW team asserts being 'gameplay first' they sure do restrict a lot in terms of character customization department 'due to lore'.
    Class Skins definitely would bring so much in terms of fantasy, we been knew.

  14. #25554
    The Patient Shadowtwili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Posts
    210
    It would, thats why we're not getting it!

  15. #25555
    Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    Should definitely happen. Class/Race restrictions are super out-dated imo. For how often the WoW team asserts being 'gameplay first' they sure do restrict a lot in terms of character customization department 'due to lore'.
    Indeed, and honestly Ren'dorei Paladins make as much sense as Tauren Paladins.

    I.e. They don't make sense if you only think about it for 10 seconds, but once you think about it for 11 seconds, you can start seeing where Blizzard is coming from.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I don't think any race should be able to be any class, because no one wants pandaren or gnome demon hunters, but I think Ren'dorei Paladins should be playable, and there is a story to tell there.

    The patron of these paladins could be Alleria herself, who shares her Void Naaru energy with these chosen champions of the Ren'dorei to empower them.

  16. #25556
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Indeed, and honestly Ren'dorei Paladins make as much sense as Tauren Paladins.

    I.e. They don't make sense if you only think about it for 10 seconds, but once you think about it for 11 seconds, you can start seeing where Blizzard is coming from.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I don't think any race should be able to be any class, because no one wants pandaren or gnome demon hunters, but I think Ren'dorei Paladins should be playable, and there is a story to tell there.

    The patron of these paladins could be Alleria herself, who shares her Void Naaru energy with these chosen champions of the Ren'dorei to empower them.
    Which is nothing unique and a purple ripoff from the original blood elf story and I dont think they should be paladins honestly, why should they anyway? It was never a high elf thing or a void thing. Seems out of place..
    Last edited by Alanar; 2021-09-22 at 11:14 AM.
    Please read this blizzard: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...m_source=share also what could have been possible with Nightborne--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLr5dDXn5nE

  17. #25557
    I am Murloc! Geisl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Which is nothing unique and a purple ripoff from the original blood elf story and I dont think they should be paladins honestly, why should they anyway? It was never a high elf thing or a void thing. Seems out of place..
    Because they've already been doing it anyway? That is, bending how their lore is portrayed in game. Tauren Paladins aren't actual Knights of the Holy Light. They're simply Sun Druids. Same for Zandalari Paladins, they're from worshipping a Holy Loa yet they'll still play with the Human based Paladin spell effects.

    Blizzard has time and again made exceptions for trivial reasons. Heck this whole thread stands as a testament to that, they first said 'No' to High Elf looks for Void Elves, then gave them eventually anyway with the reasoning that was always stated for their inclusion in the first place, "it makes sense".

  18. #25558
    Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    Because they've already been doing it anyway? That is, bending how their lore is portrayed in game. Tauren Paladins aren't actual Knights of the Holy Light. They're simply Sun Druids. Same for Zandalari Paladins, they're from worshipping a Holy Loa yet they'll still play with the Human based Paladin spell effects.

    Blizzard has time and again made exceptions for trivial reasons. Heck this whole thread stands as a testament to that, they first said 'No' to High Elf looks for Void Elves, then gave them eventually anyway with the reasoning that was always stated for their inclusion in the first place, "it makes sense".
    NGL, the whole paladin debate feels so pointless to me. Like VE's (and HE's) don't need them, but it would be cool if they had -mostly because class skins are just a cool concept-

    But to say that "Void Elf Paladins make as much sense as Tauren Paladins" is kinda silly with how the lore for paladins currently is; even if Prelates and Sunwalkers have their own orders and beliefs, they are STILL channeling holy light. The difference in belief does not change from where their power actually comes from.

    Class Skins could change that, and it would be awesome, but right now, with paladins only being able to channel Holy Light, it really doesn't make sense for Void Elves to even be paladins on the first place, so we DO need the idea of a paradigm shift through Class Skins for it to really work.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Which is nothing unique and a purple ripoff from the original blood elf story and I dont think they should be paladins honestly, why should they anyway? It was never a high elf thing or a void thing. Seems out of place..
    While I personally would like the idea of expanding the idea of what a paladin is and how it would lend to a more expansive class fantasy, I have to agree that unless "Void Knights" come with a unique story that's good, what's the point? They are unnecessary; the paladin archetype as it is has nothing to do with Void -it's literally anathema right now- we might as well get Dark Shamans.

    Like it would be neat to expand the classes fantasy, but VE nor HE *need* to be paladins, and as much as I'd love a HE paladin, I really think Shaman would be a far more interesting choice to see a void aspect of it through Void Elves.

  19. #25559
    Herald of the Titans Ardenaso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,661
    instead of Paladins for Void Elves we could get "battlemage" class; something like the Night Elf Wardens, the Void Knights, the Blood Elf Spellbreakers, the Forsaken Dreadguards, etc.

    but of course, Tinker class first
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

    I make Warcraft 3 Reforged custom models that intends to fill the gaps in the Reforged campaign

  20. #25560
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    instead of Paladins for Void Elves we could get "battlemage" class; something like the Night Elf Wardens, the Void Knights, the Blood Elf Spellbreakers, the Forsaken Dreadguards, etc.

    but of course, Tinker class first
    Honestly I'm not very hopeful about new classes at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •