1. #6041
    Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsBrenda View Post
    Personally I don't understand why they WOULDN'T be added at this point, those who don't want to play another elf character don't have to make one. Problem solved?
    In short, because it would lower the standard for playable races in terms of distinctive identity, in particular between factions.

    Blizzard has been committed to introducing new and creative races for either faction, and it's important that they maintain that pursuit, or we risk losing a wider breadth of options in favor of filling in the insignificant details in between. From Blizzard's perspective on this specific topic, the issue is that the fantasy of this particular race is embodied by Blood Elves, and they are something that is intended to make the Horde appealing. To recreate that fantasy on the other faction, especially with 2018 levels of quality, would take something unique and valuable to the Horde, strip it of its distinctiveness, and overshadow its quality. That would only serve to make the Blood Elves, the Horde, and in turn the game as a whole less appealing, all for the sake of adding redundant pieces that lack the unique identity we have come to expect for playable races in terms of visuals, fantasy, and story. That is not a direction I want to see Blizzard take the game, because I think it discourages creativity and panders to a minority at the expense of the game's overall quality. I believe that adding them would placate a small group of players in the short term, but wouldn't be worth it to any of us in the long term.

  2. #6042
    Quote Originally Posted by JdRobespierre View Post
    And who do You think You are, to show people the doors?
    maybe the one who want Warcraft to be somewhat unique from common fantasy worlds where dakr = evil, light = good, elves, dwarves, humans = goodguys, orcs, trolls, undead, goblins = bad guys?

    Create, then waste. Create, then destroy. As now is destroying idea of Blood Elves from TBC.
    "desctruction is done". Chronicles cemented it. 0,0001% chances that blizz will retcon after releasing chronicles.
    So information about it being irreversible - presented both in game, and in it's description - is also just my headcanon? Yeah. And for sure any prof, that I have some point about abandoning previous ideas for Blood Elves.
    corrupted land can still be taken and trown out of there if needed. i don't think it's deep enough corrupted soil with no chances of actually clear it. But okay

    You are contradicting yourself in this paragraph. High Elf fans don't create anything new, so You are sad, that they wasted energy in creating new appearances, for development of their race. Traycor used old concept as a base, for new population - similar for example to Highvale Elves. There is nothing to be sad for people invest their work in what they see most worth it, wven if You dion't agree with their decision. I myself, in contrast to what You say - suggested here few ideas for news settlements - actually having no current visual precedence in WoW, but consistent with conceit of classic elf.

    You perfectly know, that this aesthetics will never be useful for Blood Elves, but You still oppose High Elf fans to reuse it, and game to serve more diverse tastes.
    so list please "aestetics" wich won't be used by Blood elves and WHY they won't be used? Hairstyles and tatto (later mostly) not there only because we lack them FROM THE START ON EVERY F**CKING RACE! Every race have some kind of warpaint/tattoo, but they started implement them with AR. So what stopping them from ACTUALLY adding them to normal races AFTER BfA (because they said that main focus in BfA are Alied Races)?

    And You state this on the basis of observation of how they loyally wait for their race for more than actual decade, yes?

    I'm not sure, how to discuss with such prejudices. Nothing I see here, reflects behavior You describe. High Elves fans who spoke up since I joined, were creative, flexible, willing to compromises and clear in message, that they want classic elves independently derived from the High Elf story. Not Blood Elf remake, not Blood Elf story continuation, not Blood Elf model etc.
    decade of demanding of return to classic fantasy world so Warcraft will end up again another "meh" mmo lorewise, where cool guys Human, dwarves, elves, and gnomes overpower everything on their path. Oh and i just can't stop imagining how many "High elves" would start scream on horde that they are "loyal, proud, clear, etc, etc. (holly hypocrites)" just because they play for the "right faction". And how much damage it will do to faction population AGAIN, and then AGAIN Aliance will scream "horde bias" when after adding "High elves" blizzard would try to AGAIN balance faction by adding something cool to horde race (dragonkin for example). But yeah - Horde bias.
    Also - tell me. Where is Ogres for Horde thread of 300 pages and ancestors knows how much posts on bnet forums? even if they were part of the horde from start. i don't see any. Where big thread of 300 pages for San'layn? i don't see it. Taunka? Wildhammer? Dragonmaw? I. DON'T. SEE. THEM. show how "biased" aliance and hore eh?

    I dont't ask You about opinion of in game politics and sympathies, as they can only in fact blur the image, that people sympathizing with other side of that coin, have in fact equal to yours right to their own interpretation, and continuation of their side of story.
    you can do whatever you want, without "High elves" being added to Aliance.
    Last edited by Zorish; 2018-05-21 at 10:54 PM.

  3. #6043
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    maybe the one who want Warcraft to be somewhat unique from common fantasy worlds where dakr = evil, light = good, elves, dwarves, humans = goodguys, orcs, trolls, undead, goblins = bad guys?


    "desctruction is done". Chronicles cemented it. 0,0001% chances that blizz will retcon after releasing chronicles.
    corrupted land can still be taken and trown out of there if needed. i don't think it's deep enough corrupted soil with no chances of actually clear it. But okay

    so list please "aestetics" wich won't be used by Blood elves and WHY they won't be used? Hairstyles and tatto (later mostly) not there only because we lack them FROM THE START ON EVERY F**CKING RACE! Every race have some kind of warpaint/tattoo, but they started implement them with AR. So what stopping them from ACTUALLY adding them to normal races AFTER BfA (because they said that main focus in BfA are Alied Races)?


    decade of demanding of return to classic fantasy world so Warcraft will end up again another "meh" mmo lorewise, where cool guys Human, dwarves, elves, and gnomes overpower everything on their path. Oh and i just can't stop imagining how many "High elves" would start scream on horde that they are "loyal, proud, clear, etc, etc. (holly hypocrites)" just because they play for the "right faction". And how much damage it will do to faction population AGAIN, and then AGAIN Aliance will scream "horde bias" when after adding "High elves" blizzard would try to AGAIN balance faction by adding something cool to horde race (dragonkin for example). But yeah - Horde bias.
    Also - tell me. Where is Ogres for Horde thread of 300 pages and ancestors knows how much posts on bnet forums? even if they were part of the horde from start. i don't see any. Where big thread of 300 pages for San'layn? i don't see it. Taunka? Wildhammer? Dragonmaw? I. DON'T. SEE. THEM. show how "biased" aliance and hore eh?

    you can do whatever you want, without "High elves" being added to Aliance.
    So why does this sound so personal for you? Like someone's trying to steal your dog and claim it was theirs originally? No one has asked for anything their faction does not already have...at least at the baseline. There are Blood Elves in the Horde and High Elves in the Alliance. Its been that way since the Blood Elves joined the Horde. No one is stealing from you in any way.

    If you think High Elves will steal from the Horde, than the Horde has a problem with retention, because Blood Elves wouldn't go away. This isn't a request for making the Blood Elves into High Elves, its a request to make the High Elves that are already in the Alliance playable.

    As to why do you see 300+ pages for High Elves and not the others? The other races aren't contested by people. There aren't multiple appearances of Ogres in the Alliance settlement, nor screen time given to them even in the Horde much. Their aren't San'layn in any Alliance questing hubs, and only recently in Horde questing in BfA. Wildhammer's aren't seem in Horde questing hubs, nor do they get much screen time in the Alliance story.

    But High Elves? We have them in multiple questing hubs in the Alliance. In Stormwind. We see them in Dalaran and they are given a relatively large amount of screen time relative to several playable races. And than, on top of that, there is the Blood Elves that get their own screen time for the Horde and several questing hub, plus of course Silvermoon, though you don't see all that many Blood Elves in the other Horde cities (NPCs). So both sides have these similar elves in their questing content, quest hubs, and a share of screen time in their faction questing content. Yet one version is playable and the other is not. The one that is not has been requested to be playable since before the other joined the Horde. So therefore 300+ pages of thread due to a fairly unique situation within the World of Warcraft. A species that is divided between two faction for a decade (our years, not game years), one playable, one not. Of course people are going to want to play the group that isn't playable, yet is present and given screen time.

  4. #6044
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    Warcraft to be somewhat unique from common fantasy worlds
    It is already done - orcs and undead are one of most important protagonists, drows have been shown without any corruption. Future development, especially dome by allied race system - offering only secondary race choice - will not change it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    chances that blizz will retcon
    Are always huge. However I don't think, if such acts, as for example new knowledge, would count as retcons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    so list please "aestetics" wich won't be used by Blood elves and WHY they won't be used?
    Those concepts won't probably be used, because they are abandoned since WC2. Because never since that time there was no need for specially highlight that aspect of Thalasian elf concept. Because story of Blood Elves went on the other tracks - and so we get rather new runic tattoos on the cover of the TBC, and totally new light theme today. Despite already having rangers in Quel'Thalas - we didn't get any elf looking like Alleria before in WoW, because that was never chosen as crucial in way of presenting them and leading their story.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    another "meh" mmo lorewise, where cool guys Human, dwarves, elves, and gnomes overpower everything on their path.
    Do You have some complexes or something? I agree, that faction balance in numbers are important thing. And so I hope for Blizzard to succeed in recreating Blood Elves result, in favor of the Horde - I already told You this twice. I would never take myself way of implementing High Elves, that would in fact be harming for Horde - like popular lately idea of retaking Silvermoon for example - as acceptable solution.

    I have rather specific taste when it comes to sympathizing with races and characters on my own, but I would never think of prohibiting others to experience fantasy world in their own way, no matter what I would think about it. You already have Your non evil orcs and undead as protagonists, in world, that still gets more complicated, and even starts to portray classically good associated force of light, as nuanced. And no one is taking it back from You - with High Elves or without them. I fully support portraying Alliance as more morally ambiguous as well, and even giving them races that not look obviously "good" at first place.

    But during growth in complexity of the Warcraft universe, little more narratives can start to coexist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    Where is Ogres for Horde thread of 300 pages (...) Where big thread of 300 pages for San'layn?
    You know why they do not occur?

    Because despite these races being frequent demands, mentioned all the time in many threats - there are no people searching occasion to mock their fans. No people willing to discredit or disgust the object of sympathy, convince that it is unachievable, impossible, that you have to "grow up" or acknowledge something, invent various kinds of the even most absurd arguments, present aggression, envy or just troll.

    Look at the thread about Botani - it doesn't grow, because no one is willing to fight with people just because they want some work done on particular race. Same under the topic of Broken - people just take a comments about how would they like to implement particular race. This also could be another thread like that - just with people particularly interested in what High Elf is, and what it could be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    you can do whatever you want, without "High elves" being added to Aliance.
    People who direct so much aggression towards High Elf fans, would't be the ones, whom I would ask for permission for anything - sorry for that. Apart from the fact that this is neither mine, nor yours decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    Blizzard has been committed to introducing new and creative races for either faction, and it's important that they maintain that pursuit, or we risk losing a wider breadth of options in favor of filling in the insignificant details in between.
    However - even from that perspective High Elves are case on their own, as there is no precedence for such longstanding popularity, and so - hard to justify on the basis of the decision made for them any new general rule.
    Last edited by mmoc5cb4a68957; 2018-05-22 at 12:17 AM.

  5. #6045
    Quote Originally Posted by JdRobespierre View Post
    However - even from that perspective High Elves are case on their own, as there is no precedence for such longstanding popularity, and so - hard to justify on the basis of the decision made for them any new general rule.
    It would take the place of something with an identity of its own, and would damage faction lines. Even if you view it as an exception, it still does harm.

    All of the proposed ways around that damage to faction identities have problems too. The reality of the situation is that no matter how they are introduced, there will be permanent damage to the game. Simply not adding them avoids all that entirely. The only problem with not adding them is that some people don't get quite exactly what they want. The more prudent option not only prevents that damage to the game, but is entirely reversible should the circumstances change. Once added, however, they could never be removed or changed.

    That popularity is also somewhat misleading, because people simply don't mean the same thing when they say, "We want Alliance High Elves to be playable." Even within this thread, there is disagreement about what exactly that means. Some believe it should be the Silver Covenant, with a strong arcane connection, others believe it should be the Quel'Danil High Elves, with their strict rejection of magic, and still others believe they should be taken from the Allerian Stronghold, as if they were trapped in the wild with some older version of high elf culture. There are numerous other ideas as to what high elves might be, including lightning based concepts, blue dragon based concepts, and many more. Blizzard cannot possibly satisfy all of the people who want High Elves, because their expectations are often contradictory. Considering the opposition to making them playable in the first place, High Elves would be a disappointing addition to a large number of people in a variety of ways that any new playable race would not.

    Ultimately, High Elves are a very controversial request, and not adding them risks nothing. It simply doesn't make sense to make them playable, and I don't think it's right to blame Blizzard for making the responsible decision for the game. Even if some players don't agree with their decision, I would hope that those players could at least see value in the fact that Blizzard made the choice that did the least to change the fundamental identity of the game. I would hate to see them chip that identity away just to try to give everyone what they want.

  6. #6046
    Banned MechaCThun's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"
    Posts
    3,062
    /sigh



    EDIT: Awww, boohoo I get infracted. So because I had a picture going along with my sentence of "Stop trying to make high elves happen" I get an infraction. just lol @ at this website.
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2018-05-22 at 05:00 PM.

  7. #6047
    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    It would take the place of something with an identity of its own, and would damage faction lines. Even if you view it as an exception, it still does harm.

    All of the proposed ways around that damage to faction identities have problems too. The reality of the situation is that no matter how they are introduced, there will be permanent damage to the game. Simply not adding them avoids all that entirely. The only problem with not adding them is that some people don't get quite exactly what they want. The more prudent option not only prevents that damage to the game, but is entirely reversible should the circumstances change. Once added, however, they could never be removed or changed.

    That popularity is also somewhat misleading, because people simply don't mean the same thing when they say, "We want Alliance High Elves to be playable." Even within this thread, there is disagreement about what exactly that means. Some believe it should be the Silver Covenant, with a strong arcane connection, others believe it should be the Quel'Danil High Elves, with their strict rejection of magic, and still others believe they should be taken from the Allerian Stronghold, as if they were trapped in the wild with some older version of high elf culture. There are numerous other ideas as to what high elves might be, including lightning based concepts, blue dragon based concepts, and many more. Blizzard cannot possibly satisfy all of the people who want High Elves, because their expectations are often contradictory. Considering the opposition to making them playable in the first place, High Elves would be a disappointing addition to a large number of people in a variety of ways that any new playable race would not.

    Ultimately, High Elves are a very controversial request, and not adding them risks nothing. It simply doesn't make sense to make them playable, and I don't think it's right to blame Blizzard for making the responsible decision for the game. Even if some players don't agree with their decision, I would hope that those players could at least see value in the fact that Blizzard made the choice that did the least to change the fundamental identity of the game. I would hate to see them chip that identity away just to try to give everyone what they want.
    Most of those variety of High Elf concepts are to give the likes of Blizzard options and a way so it can be done. All they need to do is pick one and run with it.

    As for this being a fundamental identity of the game, I would think not. Especially since they already have High Elves in the Alliance in the game. Its not like they are taking something from the Horde and giving it away to make something playable. They would be using what already exists in the Alliance to make a playable race. That's all. The Blood Elves have their own story. Nothing the Alliance, nor High Elves do, can change it or take it away from the Horde players. It is set, done, and following its own path. So leave the Alliance with their High Elves to make their own path as well, separate from their Blood Elf cousins.

    I mean you might not be able to tell a High Elf from a Blood Elf, and I can assure you, they can tell the difference.

  8. #6048
    The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Posts
    20,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
    Most of those variety of High Elf concepts are to give the likes of Blizzard options and a way so it can be done. All they need to do is pick one and run with it.

    As for this being a fundamental identity of the game, I would think not. Especially since they already have High Elves in the Alliance in the game. Its not like they are taking something from the Horde and giving it away to make something playable. They would be using what already exists in the Alliance to make a playable race. That's all. The Blood Elves have their own story. Nothing the Alliance, nor High Elves do, can change it or take it away from the Horde players. It is set, done, and following its own path. So leave the Alliance with their High Elves to make their own path as well, separate from their Blood Elf cousins.

    I mean you might not be able to tell a High Elf from a Blood Elf, and I can assure you, they can tell the difference.

    It's not just the looks, its the stepping stones so many people just try to handwave away or change.

    Once again, why even ask for high elves? People are willing to compromise on the model, doesn't matter then they wouldn't be high elves anyways. The model would be edited to differentiate them and then you'd have a dozen more sob threads that they weren't high elves when Blizzard has made it abundantly clear on why the "high elf" remains on the Horde. And no matter the hand waving, the main, the core of the race is Horde.

    instead of focusing on something obtainable, like say, half elves, people still cling to the idea of high elves when that dead horse has been beaten for over ten years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

  9. #6049
    Half elf has always been an option in the thread. Its usually tied to using the human model with an elf skin, or the dragon aspects elf models which are different from the High Elf/Blood Elf model. Those have been given too. Usually the response is "there shouldn't be many hybrid anythings around the world". (many hybrid species can't breed), We know all the Windrunner sisters were into humans, and two of them produced hybrids (Sylvanas appears to not have done so with Nathanos prior to their deaths.) We do not know how common this is or if any of the hybrids can breed with either elves, humans, or other hybrids. (and Mr. 404 hybrid son a hybrid orc/draenei mixed with human is an oddity).

  10. #6050
    As of now, High Elves are one of the cards that Blizzard is gonna play only when the subs count or the talk about wow goes down again. The same, perhaps, can be said about races like Ogres and Nagas and a proper Housing System similar to that of FFXiV.

    I feel its gonna be the same thing that happened with the Classic servers. People want them, Blizzard doesnt, so people are just gonna keep asking for these things (High Elves, Ogres, Nagas, Houses, etc) until Blizzard gives up to pressure and finally deliver, just like with Classic.

  11. #6051
    Dreadlord Hawkknight97's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Stormwind to other places.
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    It's not just the looks, its the stepping stones so many people just try to handwave away or change.

    Once again, why even ask for high elves? People are willing to compromise on the model, doesn't matter then they wouldn't be high elves anyways. The model would be edited to differentiate them and then you'd have a dozen more sob threads that they weren't high elves when Blizzard has made it abundantly clear on why the "high elf" remains on the Horde. And no matter the hand waving, the main, the core of the race is Horde.

    instead of focusing on something obtainable, like say, half elves, people still cling to the idea of high elves when that dead horse has been beaten for over ten years now.
    What does Half Elves have?

    Are they even truest High Elves we have seen from Warcraft 2? No.

    Do they look like Ranger Woodland Magic Base Elven Society Warcraft 2 Inspiration? No.

    Are they even Quel'dorei High Elves? No.

    So why should some of us even brother with Half Elves if they don't have no lore, No Big name Lore Characters, or anything that is even Quel'dorei theme.
    I mean Half Elves almost sounds more like a asspull than Void Elves.
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

  12. #6052
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenKnight1 View Post
    As of now, High Elves are one of the cards that Blizzard is gonna play only when the subs count or the talk about wow goes down again. The same, perhaps, can be said about races like Ogres and Nagas and a proper Housing System similar to that of FFXiV.

    I feel its gonna be the same thing that happened with the Classic servers. People want them, Blizzard doesnt, so people are just gonna keep asking for these things (High Elves, Ogres, Nagas, Houses, etc) until Blizzard gives up to pressure and finally deliver, just like with Classic.
    House allied race.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

  13. #6053
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
    But High Elves? We have them in multiple questing hubs in the Alliance. In Stormwind. We see them in Dalaran and they are given a relatively large amount of screen time relative to several playable races. And than, on top of that, there is the Blood Elves that get their own screen time for the Horde and several questing hub, plus of course Silvermoon, though you don't see all that many Blood Elves in the other Horde cities (NPCs). So both sides have these similar elves in their questing content, quest hubs, and a share of screen time in their faction questing content. Yet one version is playable and the other is not. The one that is not has been requested to be playable since before the other joined the Horde. So therefore 300+ pages of thread due to a fairly unique situation within the World of Warcraft. A species that is divided between two faction for a decade (our years, not game years), one playable, one not. Of course people are going to want to play the group that isn't playable, yet is present and given screen time.
    i would just list you this:
    WotLK - elves done nothing big, they "existed there just to be for being opposition to blood elves"
    Cata - again nothing "big" achieved, apart from "just existing"
    Pandaria - BIG APPEARANCE! As Jaina hounds and part of Kirin Tor Offensive "faction"
    WoD - nothig - orc expansion
    Legion - Again "Big appearance". As another tool to develop Blood elf and Nighborn story they come WITH TYRANDE. You see? While horde part was represented only by elves - Aliance need 2 different "faction" of elves to be equal. And even more - Elisande consider "High elves" are PEASANTS WHO MINDLE WITH LESSER RACES. Wich lead to NOT bigger numbers (when you bring this argument) but rather growing number of HALFBREED. Even Elisande consider them as "dying" offshot.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by JdRobespierre View Post
    It is already done - orcs and undead are one of most important protagonists, drows have been shown without any corruption. Future development, especially dome by allied race system - offering only secondary race choice - will not change it.
    future development by returning warcraft on rails of common fantasy? i see "good" development there.


    Are always huge. However I don't think, if such acts, as for example new knowledge, would count as retcons.
    new knowledge can only exist in place where we lack of knowledge. in current one? WE DON'T HAVE EMPTY HOLES.

    Those concepts won't probably be used, because they are abandoned since WC2. Because never since that time there was no need for specially highlight that aspect of Thalasian elf concept. Because story of Blood Elves went on the other tracks - and so we get rather new runic tattoos on the cover of the TBC, and totally new light theme today. Despite already having rangers in Quel'Thalas - we didn't get any elf looking like Alleria before in WoW, because that was never chosen as crucial in way of presenting them and leading their story.
    new "Light theme" represented ONLY by eyes, and new military wing of quel'thalas - Blood knights. They not abbandoned their past. They just developed new. Farstriders are still there - hello Halduron who brough them to hunter order hall!. And Alleria got Unique model only because she is "main story character". Do you remember Sylvanas look before she became important for plot? NIGHT ELF! Varrian? Anduin? Velen? Bain? Thrall? Garrosh? Tyrande? Malfurion? I would name you EVERY f**king leader who get unique model when he needed. Where are this customizations? Where? where my white warpaint on green orc like saurfang? Where are my Antlers on Night elf? Where my scars on human face? Where are this fancy armor and clothes like on this npc?

    Do You have some complexes or something? I agree, that faction balance in numbers are important thing. And so I hope for Blizzard to succeed in recreating Blood Elves result, in favor of the Horde - I already told You this twice. I would never take myself way of implementing High Elves, that would in fact be harming for Horde - like popular lately idea of retaking Silvermoon for example - as acceptable solution.
    We both know the level of shitstorm what can happen if blizzard would sell Silvermoon (and Sunwell) to Aliance. 0,000000000001% that this gonna happen on this reason AND because it's part of BC content wich they have problem editing.

    I have rather specific taste when it comes to sympathizing with races and characters on my own, but I would never think of prohibiting others to experience fantasy world in their own way, no matter what I would think about it. You already have Your non evil orcs and undead as protagonists, in world, that still gets more complicated, and even starts to portray classically good associated force of light, as nuanced. And no one is taking it back from You - with High Elves or without them. I fully support portraying Alliance as more morally ambiguous as well, and even giving them races that not look obviously "good" at first place.

    But during growth in complexity of the Warcraft universe, little more narratives can start to coexist.
    not in the current state of the game.

    You know why they do not occur?

    Because despite these races being frequent demands, mentioned all the time in many threats - there are no people searching occasion to mock their fans. No people willing to discredit or disgust the object of sympathy, convince that it is unachievable, impossible, that you have to "grow up" or acknowledge something, invent various kinds of the even most absurd arguments, present aggression, envy or just troll.

    Look at the thread about Botani - it doesn't grow, because no one is willing to fight with people just because they want some work done on particular race. Same under the topic of Broken - people just take a comments about how would they like to implement particular race. This also could be another thread like that - just with people particularly interested in what High Elf is, and what it could be.
    yeah and do you rememebr your aliance friends idea that maghar will be Aliance race under saurfang? One of the Hilarious things. And sethak who are on Zandalar? This thread didn't grow because how ridiculus they were. And by seeing what happening there and in HE discord i see that biggest part of this "HE fans" only want "cool elves" on their side and they don't care about lore at all. And i especialy love reasons they bring: they wanted to be Moraly right, they didn't betrayed old aliances (nonexistant, this was totaly coexisting for benefit of both races), i see this type of people only as hypocrites who don't care about lore at all and just want fancy elf on good guys side.

    People who direct so much aggression towards High Elf fans, would't be the ones, whom I would ask for permission for anything - sorry for that. Apart from the fact that this is neither mine, nor yours decision.
    then what are you doing in this thread and why you even created account for posting there? Why i am not shouting on every corner for Dragonkin race (and yes i want them, but i will wait)?

  14. #6054
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    i would just list you this:
    WotLK - elves done nothing big, they "existed there just to be for being opposition to blood elves"
    Cata - again nothing "big" achieved, apart from "just existing"
    Pandaria - BIG APPEARANCE! As Jaina hounds and part of Kirin Tor Offensive "faction"
    WoD - nothig - orc expansion
    Legion - Again "Big appearance". As another tool to develop Blood elf and Nighborn story they come WITH TYRANDE. You see? While horde part was represented only by elves - Aliance need 2 different "faction" of elves to be equal. And even more - Elisande consider "High elves" are PEASANTS WHO MINDLE WITH LESSER RACES. Wich lead to NOT bigger numbers (when you bring this argument) but rather growing number of HALFBREED. Even Elisande consider them as "dying" offshot.
    So a full fledged playable race has more screen time and development than an NPC race.

    Even as NPC's, even as supporting NPC's for blood elf development... they are still more represented than some playable races, they had some development over the years. They basically existed for a long time, and that's more that can be said about most allied races.

    So that's hardly an argument against anything, specially when it comes to allied races, considering that every allied race comes with whatever lore is needed to justify them as a playable race.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

  15. #6055
    Pit Lord Sigxy's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Your heart!
    Posts
    2,299
    So I know there's a couple of people who outright refuses to accept that you CAN attempt to look like a High Elf, while playing one of the other elves. Y'all should know by now that I am not pro-high elf in the sense that they should be their own allied race. BUT I still support the idea of making blue eyes an option for the Blood Elves.

    I even rolled a new character. He's just around 20 and I think he already look High Elven like crazy! Totally going blue eyes for him when it's a thing. And until then, gold once they are around.

    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...78/unknown.png
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...20/unknown.png

    Sure, it's Horde side - but I like High Elves enough that I am willing to cosplay one while not Alliance (even though I like Alliance more than the Horde. Only time I liked the Horde was when I was so young I hadn't even turned into a teenager. x_x). I feel like I don't need High Elves as their own race just to accomplish this satisfaction I'm having. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Sigxy; 2018-05-22 at 11:29 AM.

  16. #6056
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    So a full fledged playable race has more screen time and development than an NPC race.

    Even as NPC's, even as supporting NPC's for blood elf development... they are still more represented than some playable races, they had some development over the years. They basically existed for a long time, and that's more that can be said about most allied races.

    So that's hardly an argument against anything, specially when it comes to allied races, considering that every allied race comes with whatever lore is needed to justify them as a playable race.
    And that has basically been my point for most of this thread. They are there and have been there the whole time. They have more development than Gnomes for sure, and more screentime than Worgen. They have about as much as the dwarves presently among Alliance races, with Magni the Diamond Dwarf starting to edge them out of that spot. Compared to the Horde races? They have more time than Goblins, Darkspear Trolls, probably Tauren, and are just under Blood Elves right now, since the Forsaken and Orcs are the main focus races, with Blood Elves third and not nearly as often.

    With as many appearances as they have, of course people are going to want to play them, and get frustrated with Blizzard when told you can't for reasons...some of which don't make sense anymore given how they've implemented Allied Races. Before that the population argument made at least some sense because of the need for a Staring Zone (even though Trolls and Gnomes didn't have one of their own until CATA, and even that is more like a glorified starting hub/sub-region). Now Allied Races only need starting hub for character creation and a place to pick up their heritage armor. Anything else they might need would be part of, whenever they are implemented, the most recent content. Be that a zone they are invested in, or a campaign they are involved with, or even just a tangent questing ideal that give someone the idea to go seek them out for the unlock quest chain.

    Since the Highmountain quest chain sent you all over the place, it is entirely possible for a hypothetical High Elf unlock chain being to go gather up the surviving High Elf groups for a meaning with the two allied Windrunner Sisters. Its time to reunite and either forge a destiny, or commit to retaking Silvermoon from the Horde. That sort of thing. A unification of the scattered High Elf leaders and forces. Some will come, some won't. All might need aid from the Champion of Azeroth with a local issue, or some reasoning as to why should they help the Alliance, or why should they reunite the remaining High Elves at all. This could be the best excuse to rename them for their new Allied Race.
    Last edited by Ithekro; 2018-05-22 at 01:21 PM.

  17. #6057
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    i would just list you this:
    WotLK - elves done nothing big, they "existed there just to be for being opposition to blood elves"
    Cata - again nothing "big" achieved, apart from "just existing"
    Pandaria - BIG APPEARANCE! As Jaina hounds and part of Kirin Tor Offensive "faction"
    WoD - nothig - orc expansion
    Legion - Again "Big appearance". As another tool to develop Blood elf and Nighborn story they come WITH TYRANDE. You see? While horde part was represented only by elves - Aliance need 2 different "faction" of elves to be equal. And even more - Elisande consider "High elves" are PEASANTS WHO MINDLE WITH LESSER RACES. Wich lead to NOT bigger numbers (when you bring this argument) but rather growing number of HALFBREED. Even Elisande consider them as "dying" offshot.
    WotLK: They were the main Alliance representatives in Dalaran and the Tournament and were featured as opposition to a major Horde race. That makes them big enough to stand on their own feet.

    Pandaria: You forgot to mention they conducted the Purge of Dalaran, and Vereesa was the main character (and boss level, like Jaina) that we quested with during the opening of Isle of Thunder. Also, the "Kirin Tor Offensive" has more Silver Covenant troops than dalaran ones, and even the Dalaran ones have high elves in their midst. Just take a walk around Violet Rise!

    Legion: First, don't forget the Hunter campaign, in which the Silver Covenant is the first ranger order to ally with the Unseen Path, and is put as one of the main ranger orders, together with the Farstriders and getting more screen time than Sentinels and Dark Rangers. Vereesa is also featured in the Thas'dorah storyline.

    As for the remarks about halfbreeds, that only shows they are a true offshoot. The reasons you put them down are the same ones a lot of people like them. We feel fine with them being a mongrel race that is slowly finding their own path.
    Last edited by DeicideUH; 2018-05-23 at 01:09 PM.
    Whatever...

  18. #6058
    So what you are saying is high elves need to die for other alliance races to get screen time
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

  19. #6059
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    So what you are saying is high elves need to die for other alliance races to get screen time
    you know i like your idea maybe from now "High elves" start losing screen time to not agitate their fans, and slowly will be forgotten.

  20. #6060
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    It would take the place of something with an identity of its own
    We heard, that they were talking about like 20 races as considered as possible for BfA. Ion said, that his personal limit is 40 per faction. When I have been counting on existing races, that I would like to see implemented in time - I ended with number 61.

    As the Warcraft universe grows, significance of single exception becomes less important with time, and so - more likely. Moreover I'm not sure, if ailed race system is at this point even designed to maintain current race diversity, or it is already compromise, and lowering the bar - as we saw Dark Irons and Void Elves, and see much demands for Wildhammer also.

    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    and would damage faction lines.
    You probably know, that I already addressed this one - I absolutely do not agree with such statement. Factions actually benefits on close parallel storytelling, or so called "mirroring". It's easier to make tension on such conflicts grow. I personally perfectly understand, why they didin't remove Silver Covenant. However I'm afraid, they won't be able to keep the cake, and eat the cake, at the same time anymore with allied race system.

    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    The reality of the situation is that no matter how they are introduced, there will be permanent damage to the game.
    That's very far-going statement... Especially after Pandaren, and Void Elves.

    I understand Your points, and consider them important too. Lowering the bar for new races should nor become a rule. I even hope there still will be still some fully implemented races, outside allied race system. However - we just get system designed perfectly to introduce some of well established in WoW more classic races. And that is why I assume, that compromise is under consideration.

    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    people simply don't mean the same thing when they say, "We want Alliance High Elves to be playable." Even within this thread, there is disagreement about what exactly that means. Some believe it should be the Silver Covenant, with a strong arcane connection, others believe it should be the Quel'Danil High Elves, with their strict rejection of magic, and still others believe they should be taken from the Allerian Stronghold, as if they were trapped in the wild with some older version of high elf culture. There are numerous other ideas as to what high elves might be, including lightning based concepts, blue dragon based concepts, and many more. Blizzard cannot possibly satisfy all of the people who want High Elves, because their expectations are often contradictory.
    I see those differences to. However where You see only danger, I could see also opportunities.

    First of all - there is still common ground between that ideas, even in contradictory in particular - they all fall under the umbrella of more classic elf representations, than we usually met in WoW. When introduced, they were just balancing between high-elf-niche and forest-elf-niche, now - they have multiple connexions with many elements of the world.

    They also show that the possible flexibility of High Elf concept, and field of compromises is in fact huge. Lest's think - golden eyes, and green eyes seem to prove, that Blizzard is able to portray one race, as based on more than one pillar, right? Tirasian story, is prof, that ideas of trace mixing can be implemented not just under open banner of "half elves" but also as secondary feature. Idea of stormforged elves can be integrated to story about searching new ways of balancing arcane and/or nature, and give some more customization options. "Celtic elves ideas" is in fact highly compatible with ranger themes. Presence of tendency to reject magic seem to be in fact compatible with... even having mages as playable class, as it is seen with Night Elves, right? Silver Covenant and Blue Dragon cooperating elves could be in fact beginnings of the new racial factions, and institutions, even if not main source of playable race population - like Highborne are way of preservation of Arcane practices in Night Elf society, or like Farstriders and Magisters are pillars of Blood Elven one. And least but not last, as I said few times Silver Covenant can act like a conductor in scenario bringing other High Elves to Alliance.

    Maybe there would be scraps, as there always are some. But it is highly untrue, that nothing interesting and unique can be sculpted from this puzzles. Such variety of motifs offers possibility of creating many new stories, introduce new tensions and conflicts. And yet, they are all much likely to be recognized as High Elves, than Void Elves, or Blood Elves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Once again, why even ask for high elves?
    Because ideas of having classic elves, and close parallel stories, with so called "mirroring", are both very appealing and strong. And so is nostalgia. Those are three reasons, that could easily sustain requests for another decade.

    When it comes for Half Elves - this is not a Blizzard favorable solution, to introduce half-breeds under open banner, as it limits diversity, rather than stimulates it. So if ever - they gonna be anyway fused with High Elven concepts, in way similar to Mok'Nathal and Tirasians. This is not solution totally unacceptable as compromise - if only grounded in High Elf story and classical elven aesthetics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    future development by returning warcraft on rails of common fantasy? i see "good" development there.
    Better than You might think. Creativity, despite what people might think, is not the art of creating from nothing, but rather art of rearranging existing and known images in appealing way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    We both know the level of shitstorm what can happen if blizzard would sell Silvermoon (and Sunwell) to Aliance. 0,000000000001% that this gonna happen
    Lesser, than ten decade of High Elf conflicts? These are bad ideas I agree. Houever Blizzard is not master of subtlety, so maybe compromise would be better? Fair share of Thalasian motifs instead of fighting upon them all, no matter, if they are useful for current choice of development?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    don't care about lore at all.
    I stated in my first post, that I don't care about lore anymore. I once cared a little bit, and liked lore based discussions, but in recent 12 years I have grown up to understand, that It is not worth any effort, when someone constantly changes and rewrites story, being interested only in how to sell it at the current moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    they wanted to be Moraly right
    Yes, and so?

    If I was the one, who was writing the Warcraft story, it would be probably more darker, much more dystopian, tragic. Significantly limited when it comes to happy endings, and redemption motifs, with all actions and decisions resulting in some inevitable consequences, lack of easy answers and lack of ones who You can trust. But If people would want to identify oneself with the moral high ground - I would let them with proper cost. Ethical disagreement is still potent in Thalasian elf story, and game itself should not decide who was right, but instead - show different outcomes. High Elves do not have their homeland, and should never have it again - isn't that goos point to start a story, about those who came to terms with it, and those, who will never do?

    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    So what you are saying is high elves need to die for other alliance races to get screen time
    Possible, but rather unlikely, as well as reunion, or giving Blood Elves blue eyes. Cause - why would Blizzard chose to resign from the trope, that sells well, and catches attention?
    Last edited by mmoc5cb4a68957; 2018-05-22 at 02:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •