1. #6121
    Legendary! Obelisk Kai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The north of Ireland
    Posts
    6,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Your story tool statement is extremely subjective considering the amount of races that receive little to no attention, yet are playable.
    By virtue of being playable, a race is conferred the status of being a major and important part of it's faction. Every race that makes up the Alliance has at one point or another carried a narrative that contributed to the overall plotline. Some races have done so to a lesser degree than others, but they still did it.

    The unplayable Alliance High Elves have never done that and have merely served as a glorified prop thus far. A prop for the Blood Elves. A prop for the Kirin Tor. A prop for Jaina. And now a prop for Alleria and the Void Elves. But never by themselves.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Everyone is a story tool then.
    The devs are not wrong to use high elves as a story tool, but they are wrong to constantly use them and then act surprised when people want to play them.
    The devs are not surprised by the desire. That some people wish to play Alliance High Elves is not a fact they have suddenly become aware of, they have known about it for many years. They simply have no wish to grant that desire because of the damage it would do to the divide between the factions and because Alliance High Elves are redundant as an option for a playable race, given that High Elves are already playable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Anywho, my point stands that high elves have been the center of attention in the alliance along with humans, you can't deny that. And that alone is a reason to request them being playable.
    Actually I very easily can. I have several Alliance characters and leveled one as recently as last year. During my travels on my Alliance Hunter I found that I was predominantly dealing with Humans and to a lesser extent Night Elves and Dwarves. Draenei began to heavily predominate as I moved into Draenor and Legion content for obvious reasons. Gnomes and Worgen were also healthily represented.

    The few High Elves I encountered stood out because I was specifically looking for this 'massive' High Elf presence within the Alliance. I encountered a few, but mostly related to the Silver Covenant as i expected.

    All playable races within the Alliance, the real Alliance, were adequately represented.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    There's not a single unplayable race in the horde that's receiving the same treatment as high elves.
    Undead Elves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Also why are you including your speculations about their future? You don't know what's going to happen, keep things in the present please.
    If we keep it to the present then Alliance High Elves have been ruled out without any possibility of being added. You can't limit the discussion to the present without conceding the discussion entirely.

    Your prospects in the future are almost as bleak but we have to entertain they hypothetical if exceptionally unlikely maybe. After all, we have Blizzard's rationale for not adding playable High Elves. They would be basically identical to Blood Elves. All attempts at reimagining them have just been attempts at reinventing the wheel, they don't go far enough whereas Void Elves did go far enough.

    So either Alliance High Elves will be the equivalent of reinventing the wheel so that it isn't round or Blizzard has to be convinced that the faction wall isn't important anymore.

    Given the former is impossible, you must aim for the later and hope to convince Blizzard to dismantle the two most iconic factions in videogaming, which is the consequence of the removal of the faction wall. Good luck with that one.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2018-05-25 at 03:59 PM.

  2. #6122
    I am Murloc! FlubberPuddy's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Undead Elves.
    Such pompous blathering and then this ^. Equating Undead Elves to Alliance High Elves then trying to say Pro-HE fans are the ones reaching.

    There continues to be no equivalent Horde group comparable to the High Elves of the Silver Covenant. Having continuous story progression as a consistent group and consists of an unplayable race of its Faction alignment.

    Undead Elves simply being a "prop" under what Obelisk constitutes as a prop (npcs just being placed there) makes them unequal to Silver Covenant High Elves. Nor those Allerian Stronghold High Elves, nor Highvale Elves.

    All of those Alliance High Elves have their own stories. What specific stories do Undead Elves have since WoW and before BfA?
    Last edited by FlubberPuddy; 2018-05-25 at 05:48 PM.

  3. #6123
    Pandaren Monk OreoLover's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Irvine-to-Anaheim, California
    Posts
    1,837
    The main story of the High Elves is still "went Hordin', see ya." Isn't it, since Burning Crusade?

    I don't think there needs to be an "equivalent group" to justify the thought.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

  4. #6124
    Pit Lord shade3891's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Boat to the Dragon Ilses
    Posts
    2,298
    Maybe give the Alliance High Elves touched by the void! That would be so cool.

  5. #6125
    Bloodsail Admiral Aldo Hawk's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Silvermoon.
    Posts
    1,239


    @Obelisk Kai You don't even have an excuse for this. Stop hiding behind fallacies, you have to explain your points like everyone else.

  6. #6126
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    By virtue of being playable, a race is conferred the status of being a major and important part of it's faction. Every race that makes up the Alliance has at one point or another carried a narrative that contributed to the overall plotline. Some races have done so to a lesser degree than others, but they still did it.

    The unplayable Alliance High Elves have never done that and have merely served as a glorified prop thus far. A prop for the Blood Elves. A prop for the Kirin Tor. A prop for Jaina. And now a prop for Alleria and the Void Elves. But never by themselves.




    The devs are not surprised by the desire. That some people wish to play Alliance High Elves is not a fact they have suddenly become aware of, they have known about it for many years. They simply have no wish to grant that desire because of the damage it would do to the divide between the factions and because Alliance High Elves are redundant as an option for a playable race, given that High Elves are already playable.



    Actually I very easily can. I have several Alliance characters and leveled one as recently as last year. During my travels on my Alliance Hunter I found that I was predominantly dealing with Humans and to a lesser extent Night Elves and Dwarves. Draenei began to heavily predominate as I moved into Draenor and Legion content for obvious reasons. Gnomes and Worgen were also healthily represented.

    The few High Elves I encountered stood out because I was specifically looking for this 'massive' High Elf presence within the Alliance. I encountered a few, but mostly related to the Silver Covenant as i expected.

    All playable races within the Alliance, the real Alliance, were adequately represented.



    Undead Elves.



    If we keep it to the present then Alliance High Elves have been ruled out without any possibility of being added. You can't limit the discussion to the present without conceding the discussion entirely.

    Your prospects in the future are almost as bleak but we have to entertain they hypothetical if exceptionally unlikely maybe. After all, we have Blizzard's rationale for not adding playable High Elves. They would be basically identical to Blood Elves. All attempts at reimagining them have just been attempts at reinventing the wheel, they don't go far enough whereas Void Elves did go far enough.

    So either Alliance High Elves will be the equivalent of reinventing the wheel so that it isn't round or Blizzard has to be convinced that the faction wall isn't important anymore.

    Given the former is impossible, you must aim for the later and hope to convince Blizzard to dismantle the two most iconic factions in videogaming, which is the consequence of the removal of the faction wall. Good luck with that one.
    With trolls and taurens being props to orcs, yet they're playable. Thank you for proving my point.

    You don't know the "damage" it would cause.

    I'm not referring to your questing experience, I'm referring to the lore in which high elves are very present in pretty much every expansion, cinematic and book. Also the allied races don't make an appearance during your questing experience except for a few DI dwarves and AU orcs, so by that logic the allied races are a huge mistake and shouldn't exist.

    I would gladly support the addition of undead elves though...that being said, I haven't seen undead elves having their own factions/settlements like high elves have so I don't think that's really comparable. The forsaken is unique in that way since they're more than one race within a race and are the only group to be lead by an unplayable race.

    What I'm trying to say is your assumptions of the future lore are meaningless in this discussion, like I said, stick to the present. You are not a Blizzard writer, you're not a Blizzard emissary.

    Regarding this faction wall that'll supposedly be destroyed with the addition of high elves, have you completely ignored the fact that Blizzard added night elves to the horde? The alliance got a purple blood elves, while the horde got same skin colored night elves. The equivalent to the nightborne could have easily been high elves and would have made more sense then asspull void elves.
    Last edited by Grythletubs; 2018-05-25 at 09:49 PM.

  7. #6127
    I am Murloc! FlubberPuddy's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Regarding this faction wall that'll supposedly be destroyed with the addition of high elves, have you completely ignored the fact that Blizzard added night elves to the horde? The alliance got a purple blood elves, while the horde got same skin colored night elves. The equivalent to the nightborne could have easily been high elves and would have made more sense then asspull void elves.
    He will somehow deflect this by saying "they're different enough" or some shit even though there's a literal quest titled, "Not our Purple Elves" for Alliance in which they go against Nightborne.

    Therefore showing that Purple Elves which used to be unique to Alliance are not unique to them anymore.

    By this logic, doesn't matter if it's High Elves or other types of Elves, Ion's reasoning on "fair skin" staying unique to Horde is already stupid in its own right.

    By this logic, "fair skin elves" shouldn't be unique to Horde either.

  8. #6128
    Immortal Darththeo's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    7,709
    Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    Such pompous blathering and then this ^. Equating Undead Elves to Alliance High Elves then trying to say Pro-HE fans are the ones reaching.

    There continues to be no equivalent Horde group comparable to the High Elves of the Silver Covenant. Having continuous story progression as a consistent group and consists of an unplayable race of its Faction alignment.

    Undead Elves simply being a "prop" under what Obelisk constitutes as a prop (npcs just being placed there) makes them unequal to Silver Covenant High Elves. Nor those Allerian Stronghold High Elves, nor Highvale Elves.

    All of those Alliance High Elves have their own stories. What specific stories do Undead Elves have since WoW and before BfA?
    Yes, Dark Rangers which for the most part appear as undead High Elf/Blood Elf totally not like Alliance High Elves.

    As for your question, *points to Sylvanas who is literally an undead Elf* ... the current leader of the Horde is literally an unplayable race. You can play ever major leader in the alliances race. Honestly, Undead Elf and High Elf are pretty easily to state are even ... yes, more background High Elves exist than undead elves, but undead elves by definition are more important to the Horde than High Elves to the Alliance.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  9. #6129
    Wow, this thread is still going? Hey Blizzard reps, it's me, the guy that fought for taller Zandalari and thanks for listening to us about that. Can you do me another favor, I was wondering if you could add blue glowing eyes to the Blood Elves like you did the golden ones. I think it would help you get the point to these people, and it is a simple addition, just an emission color change on a model. 320 pages so far, I don't get it.
    Zandalari are now the right height! https://i.imgur.com/4Tgu3K0.jpg Thank you to everyone that helped make this happen! https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...9447661?page=1

  10. #6130
    Void Elves are closer to High Elves than Nightborne are to night elves. If you're honestly going to argue that they're the same, you should have no problem accepting Void Elves as a substitute. It's not a deflection, it's a issue of degree. If I want to play out my Malfurion fantasy on the Horde, I'm going to have a hard time, because actual night elves aren't on the Horde. Nightborne have transformed physically and culturally over the course of 10000 years. High Elves took an extended internship in Stormwind. It's just not comparable.

    The role of High Elves in the story is only a small issue in the question of whether or not they should be playable, and the solution to that problem with the fewest drawbacks is to simply feature them less going forward, either by leaving them as they are or by concluding their story.

    Personally, though, I just don't think Blizzard is willing to sacrifice a part something unique to WoW for a fantasy trope. Blizzard shouldn't be forced into creating a more familiar fantasy universe; it's the things that make WoW different that make it interesting.

  11. #6131
    I am Murloc! FlubberPuddy's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Yes, Dark Rangers which for the most part appear as undead High Elf/Blood Elf totally not like Alliance High Elves.

    As for your question, *points to Sylvanas who is literally an undead Elf* ... the current leader of the Horde is literally an unplayable race. You can play ever major leader in the alliances race. Honestly, Undead Elf and High Elf are pretty easily to state are even ... yes, more background High Elves exist than undead elves, but undead elves by definition are more important to the Horde than High Elves to the Alliance.
    What was being disputed was that there isn't a single unplayable race on Horde side that receives the treatment High Elves do. Sylvanas's story I'd argue doesn't equal the story of the Undead Elves. They are just there in the sidelines, a force that's needed whenever Sylvanas sends them to do something.

    The Alliance High Elves, specifically the group of Silver Covenant have their own stories progressing them further on, we see that there is infighting between them and Sunreavers in MoP. That they hate the Blood Elves with a passion during BC. Then that they're part of the overtaking of Suramar. Then there are those Highvale Elves which are shown to have given up magic out right.

    Those are some pretty major events that show/explore/progress the Alliance High Elf story. Is it much? No, of course not. And it makes sense given their previously stated smaller population. They aren't a major race and of course shouldn't be getting major race equivalent story progression. Yet that is enough for uniquely them to still have stories moved forward and on this topic of Allied Races.

    It's a stark difference than looking at Undead Elves who are mostly just NPCs fitting as soldiers. You could replace the Undead Elves with Forsaken Undead Humans and it would not change much of anything for their story or Sylvanas's story. Because again, her story is not the story of Undead Elves specifically.

    This can't be said for the situations that Alliance High Elves have found themselves in. You cannot switch TBC Alliance High Elves out to show their animosity against Blood Elves, the Purge of Dalaran is another incident that's showcasing the animosity between the 2 Thalassian Elf groups. Elisande's comment to the Quel'dorei can only make sense to Alliance High Elves and not any other Elf group. Also neither does the story of the group of Highvale Elves makes sense with any other race or elf group, since it was specifically dealing with the magic addiction of Thalassian Elves and being away from the Sunwell and/or trying to stave off the magic cravings.

    Not sure how Undead Elves "by definition" are more important to the Horde. We see in BFA that there are Forsaken Guards used by Sylvanas. You place Undead Elves there, it would make no difference. They're completely interchangeable with the game content we know to date.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Anax View Post
    Wow, this thread is still going? Hey Blizzard reps, it's me, the guy that fought for taller Zandalari and thanks for listening to us about that. Can you do me another favor, I was wondering if you could add blue glowing eyes to the Blood Elves like you did the golden ones. I think it would help you get the point to these people, and it is a simple addition, just an emission color change on a model. 320 pages so far, I don't get it.
    They just internally changed their file names for High Elves and Blood Elves to keep them separate and not have what's happened in the past where some Blood Elves would spawn with Blue Eyes and some High Elves with Green Eyes.

    They've specifically made this change so that High Elves don't spawn with Gold Eyes and so that Blood Elves made going forward won't run into having Blue Eyes.

    So I'd say it's safe to say "Blue Eye Blood Elves" won't ever happen.

  12. #6132
    Bloodsail Admiral Aldo Hawk's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Silvermoon.
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    Farstriders were founded around the time of the Troll Wars and the Magisters are speculated to have been founded around the time of the founding of Silvermoon; unless I'm missing some vital info, how the hell are those the least BE things? They are foundations of High Elf culture and according to Blizzard and lore Blood Elves are High Elves.

    Wtf are you on about?
    Other races in warcraft have magisters and rangers, they are not exclusively BE, the farstrider name is what make farstriders blood elven.

    Goddamn even Nightborne had somekind of rangers.

    Is not my problem if you can't see this, a magister is not an exclusive blood elf thing, Bloodnight are an exclusive BE thing (using the light by manipulating it instead of get it by their convictions and believfs), not paladins.

    Come on dude, this is common lore knowledge...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Actually I very easily can. I have several Alliance characters and leveled one as recently as last year. During my travels on my Alliance Hunter I found that I was predominantly dealing with Humans and to a lesser extent Night Elves and Dwarves. Draenei began to heavily predominate as I moved into Draenor and Legion content for obvious reasons. Gnomes and Worgen were also healthily represented..
    So basically if you don't see something it doesn't exist.

  13. #6133
    I am Murloc! FlubberPuddy's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,383
    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    Void Elves are closer to High Elves than Nightborne are to night elves. If you're honestly going to argue that they're the same, you should have no problem accepting Void Elves as a substitute. It's not a deflection, it's a issue of degree. If I want to play out my Malfurion fantasy on the Horde, I'm going to have a hard time, because actual night elves aren't on the Horde. Nightborne have transformed physically and culturally over the course of 10000 years. High Elves took an extended internship in Stormwind. It's just not comparable.
    You can have issues with Void Elves because they are not High Elves, they are Blood Elves. Their introduction supports this and even the new lore from the Beta supports this going forward. They are not the Alliance loyal High Elves that have stuck with Alliance since the beginning of WoW, they are not the Silver Covenant, Allerian Stronghold, Dalarani/SW, nor Highvale Elves.

    So yeah I don't know what is so hard to understand. You talk about "playing out a Malfurion fantasy" well there is no "Alliance High Elf fantasy" to be found by playing either Blood Elves nor Void Elves who are exiled Blood Elves.

    That fantasy is currently unplayable, it exists within the game right now, but it is just something players cannot access.

    Whereas the Highborne Mage Fantasy? That was playable since Highborne Night Elves joined back with the Alliance in Cataclysm. That is the reason for getting access to Night Elf Mages.

    This isn't about a "malfurion fantasy" at all. The fantasy being talked about is Highborne Night Elf, which was unique to Alliance, being blown up and given over to Horde when it already was something that existed for the Alliance.

    That's what people mean when they say Horde got a version of Night Elves, and that's basically true in its own right. Nightborne are the old-school Night Elves that were the high society of the Kaldorei people, the people like Queen Azshara. So Horde did get a version of Night Elves.

    Trying to say that "Blood Elves are High Elves so Alliance got Void Elves which are Blood Elves which are, in turn, High Elves" is completely and ignorantly missing the entire point of what is being asked about when it comes to Alliance High Elf request.

    This is why even when Ion talks about Void Elves in his reasoning for over High Elves, he references Void Elves being a sort of Blood Elf given to Alliance. He's not understanding exactly what is wanted by when people speak about "Playable Alliance High Elves."

    If the crowd that wanted "Blue Eyed Blood Elves on Alliance" actually wanted that then they would've been 100% okay with the introduction of Void Elves. Because that is literally what Void Elves are: Blue Eyed Blood Elves on Alliance.

    This is also why people have taken to start referencing the groups such as the Silver Covenant, Highvale, Allerian Stronghold etc. Because some people, like Ion, can't seem to grasp what is actually being asked for.

    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    The role of High Elves in the story is only a small issue in the question of whether or not they should be playable, and the solution to that problem with the fewest drawbacks is to simply feature them less going forward, either by leaving them as they are or by concluding their story.
    This would be the smartest thing going forward. Because you can be damn sure that if they continue to spotlight Alliance High Elf groups after Ion's response then it'll just bite them in the ass. This is probably why that one major High Elf NPC got changed to a Blood Elf NPC and the High Elf Spellweaver NPCs changed to humans after his statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    Personally, though, I just don't think Blizzard is willing to sacrifice a part something unique to WoW for a fantasy trope. Blizzard shouldn't be forced into creating a more familiar fantasy universe; it's the things that make WoW different that make it interesting.
    Well what I can at least be happy about is that we're finally done seeing variations of blue/purple elves. I can rest easy knowing that the next time an elf is added to the Alliance, it for sure won't be blue/purple. That is good enough for me.

  14. #6134
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Hawk View Post
    Other races in warcraft have magisters and rangers, they are not exclusively BE, the farstrider name is what make farstriders blood elven.

    Goddamn even Nightborne had somekind of rangers.

    Is not my problem if you can't see this, a magister is not an exclusive blood elf thing, Bloodnight are an exclusive BE thing (using the light by manipulating it instead of get it by their convictions and believfs), not paladins.

    Come on dude, this is common lore knowledge...
    Blood knights haven't wielded the Light in that manner since BC.

  15. #6135
    Bloodsail Admiral Aldo Hawk's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Silvermoon.
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    And yet when someone says the Magisters they tend to think of the Blood Elf Magisters, same with the Farstriders. You're the one that mentioned them, don't blame me for you falling flat on your points.
    Are you trying to make as i'm disconnected to reality by saying i'm the only one who don't immediatelly imagine a BE when someone says Magister?

    Try harder dude, BE are not the only warcraft race who have magisters.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DercMerc View Post
    Blood knights haven't wielded the Light in that manner since BC.
    Instead of using the powers of a Naaru they use it from the Sunwell now, the difference is that they are not stealing it anymore, and the difference between a Bloodknight and a Paladin is that Paladins doesn't use the light from the same source and by the same principles.

  16. #6136
    Officers Academy Prof. Byleth's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fódlan
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Long story short in a crisis take a deep breath, keep calm and do whatever the fuck Grand Magister Rommath says.
    I never thought of it this way, but you know what, you're right. I'm pretty sure if you kept digging you'd find more and more examples of this.
    Here is something to believe in!

  17. #6137
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigby View Post
    With Calia being set up as a replacement for Sylvanas and the very, very low chance she'd ever lead them against the Alliance, I can't help but wonder if they're just going to do away with the factions at the end of BfA.

    If that were the case, it would certainly make some sense why they'd so desperately be gripping the 'No High Elf Allied Race' wheel when in less than one expansion the difference would literally be an eye colour swap in-game and no faction barrier between them.
    Been thinking this myself. That BfA will be the last Horde vs Alliance expansion. BfA ending with Old Gods then the factions finally will understand that they Need to fight together.

    They are setting up the hatred Sylvanas has for the Alliance(humans spesifically) and Jainas hatred towards the Horde now before BfA comes. It might come to the part were those two either will be get rid of, or they will redeem themselves and then the Void gets full focus. And think about a full joint Silvermoon again. Glorious.

    Now, this is fanfiction from me, but there are reasons to believe that the faction-barrier might be gone after BfA. The faction conflicts are getting tiresome and make less sense overall. And to think to be in 2018, where you can't get the full enjoyment of playing with friends just because you really love that one race on the other side of the barrier. Blizz is doing changes to make it more modern so to speak, this might be a thing they consider, if they are not already on it.

    Warcraft was about Humans vs Orcs. But this was 20 years ago. Times change

  18. #6138
    Legendary! Obelisk Kai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The north of Ireland
    Posts
    6,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    With trolls and taurens being props to orcs, yet they're playable. Thank you for proving my point.
    Some notable Troll storylines include the retaking of the Echo Islands, discovering Druidism and the interactions with the Zandalari. These were carried by notable Troll NPCs for Troll purposes.

    Some notable Tauren storylines include their struggles with the Centaur, Magatha's coup attempt, the Sunwalker's experiences in Pandaria and most recently bringing the Highmountain into the Horde. These were carried by notable Tauren NPCs for Tauren purposes.

    Alliance High Elves have never featured in any similar content for themselves, always for someone else.

    So bringing the trolls and tauren up is just a false equivalence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    You don't know the "damage" it would cause.
    Yet Blizzard, who have a holistic view of the entire game, seem to think that there would be damage which is why they are so resistant to acceding to this. Anyone who wants playable Alliance High Elves has to start from a position where they make the intellectual choice to deny that the Blood Elves ARE the High Elves of the Warcraft Universe. Once you do that, you no longer have a holistic view of the game and are willing to tolerate or minimise the damage Alliance High Elves would do to the foundational faction wall.

    Either we accept what Blizzard says, that there will be damage, or we accept the viewpoints of fans with an agenda who will suffer anything to get playable Alliance High Elves. Of course, people should listen to the former.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    I'm not referring to your questing experience, I'm referring to the lore in which high elves are very present in pretty much every expansion, cinematic and book.
    High Elves are not present in every cinematic. If we are talking about CGI cinematics that open every expansion, they are in precisely zero.

    If we are talking about cinematics that occur in game, they are present in only one cinematic that I can recall. Alleria's transformation into a Void Elf. Which also marks the end of her being a High Elf ironically enough.

    The Alliance epilogue cinematic, which has members of all Alliance races gathered to hear Anduin's victory speech, has zero High Elves. I counted three Pandaren however, there maybe more.

    I cannot recall of any cinematic prior to Legion containing a High Elf.

    In terms of books, yes there are a lot of High Elves in those novels. Particularly the ones dealing with the time frame prior to them becoming Blood Elves, leaving the Alliance and joining the Horde. In the books set after this time period, Alliance High Elves in the novel become extremely rare. In fact the only one I can think of is again, Veressa in the god awful Night of the Dragon by Knaak. Here a High Elf finally has their own story...except that's in the book and not in game.

    So I am afraid this 'm referring to the lore in which high elves are very present in pretty much every expansion, cinematic and book' doesn't cut it. It appears to be more wishful thinking unsupported by lore or actual examples.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Also the allied races don't make an appearance during your questing experience except for a few DI dwarves and AU orcs, so by that logic the allied races are a huge mistake and shouldn't exist.
    That is a leap of logic in of itself. You are the one who asserted that High Elves should be playable because of their presence within the lore. I have proven that both in game and in the supporting medium, you are wrong about their presence. Previous presence is not a criteria for an Allied race.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    I would gladly support the addition of undead elves though...that being said, I haven't seen undead elves having their own factions/settlements like high elves have so I don't think that's really comparable. The forsaken is unique in that way since they're more than one race within a race and are the only group to be lead by an unplayable race.
    The Undead Elves are fully integrated into the Forsaken. The leader of the Horde is an Undead Elf. I have seen Dark Rangers several times over the years. I don't desire them to be playable myself, I see them for what they are, a story prop, but there is a certain equivalence between the two groups. Not an exact one, and if you want to point out differences you will no doubt succeed, but the equivalence IS there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    What I'm trying to say is your assumptions of the future lore are meaningless in this discussion, like I said, stick to the present. You are not a Blizzard writer, you're not a Blizzard emissary.
    It is more than possible to extrapolate certain likely directions to be taken with the story. Are they guaranteed? No, but they are very plausible and in some cases very possible. That the Blood Elves are becoming more focused on the light as a void based variant is brought into the game and the very light-shadow conflict moves to the forefront is something that should not be ignored. Nor should it, just because the logical light-shadow struggle leaves no place really for the Alliance High Elves to participate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Regarding this faction wall that'll supposedly be destroyed with the addition of high elves, have you completely ignored the fact that Blizzard added night elves to the horde? The alliance got a purple blood elves, while the horde got same skin colored night elves. The equivalent to the nightborne could have easily been high elves and would have made more sense then asspull void elves.
    Nightborne are more of a jet blue colour. They are also similar to Void Elves, a variant of an existing race with SOME physical differences but completely thematically different. A Nightborne is as far thematically from a Night Elf as it is possible to be. They are arcane focused and urbane. Contrast that with the Druidic focused and arboreal Night Elves.

    To say Nightborne are Night Elves is simply to ignore all evidence to the contrary.

    But Blood Elves ARE High Elves, biologically and culturally and thematically and so High Elves are playable.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2018-05-26 at 11:55 AM.

  19. #6139
    Pit Lord shade3891's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Boat to the Dragon Ilses
    Posts
    2,298
    Why do blood elves have green eyes and high elves blue eyes? Doesn't that set them apart?

  20. #6140
    Banned MechaCThun's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"
    Posts
    3,062
    Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    Why do blood elves have green eyes and high elves blue eyes? Doesn't that set them apart?
    Courtesy of their exposure to fel magic (the practice of which spread in a similar fashion to the orcs' own exposure to the substance, tainting even those in its proximity who chose not to dabble in it), blood elf eyes produce an emerald glow. This is a natural reaction to spending time around fel magic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •