10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Which is why I think Blizzard wants to eventually merge high elves and void elves. It pains me, since I'm a high elf fan, but after introduction of a "race" that is not a race at all, more like a small cult, I'm thinking Blizzard has plans of increasing their numbers by making more high elves go void. It would make no sense to keep void elves as this small cult while still featuring high elves everywhere...
    Void Elves are the answer to the request for playable thalassian elves on the Alliance. They may not have been the answer you wanted, but they are the one I told you for many years you might end up getting, a variant.

Of course my theory was that you'd get sentient wretched but the gist of my point was proven right, that Blizzard would not grant the Alliance a duplicate of a core Horde race.

The Void Elves are a compromise. I am not keen a model I felt was Horde unique ended up being shared as it has been, and I feel the same way about the Nightborne which should have been Alliance unique. However, that is done, and it is a mercy that both Void Elves and Nightborne are as far thematically from their parent races as it possible to be. They can at least be their own thing.

In regards to the overall thrust of this topic, I believe that the Silver Covenant should be phased out. If we are lucky, the constant High Elf spam on the forums here and on the official side might have provoked Blizzard to write that into a future story point, but I doubt they are going to be moved by forum spam into doing something like that. Although poor High Elf Archmage Ilira WAS converted into Blood Elf Archmage Ilira during the beta and it wouldn't surprise me if the forum noise made Blizzard realise they were being too liberal with their use of High Elves, and so scaled back.

As for your theory, the Void Elves are heavily implied (without it being directly stated) to be able to convert other thalassian elves into Void Elves. Sure, it's only implied, but the primary objection to the implication is not rooted in any real lore reasons, but the sense that if the Void Elves are able to increase their numbers (which they likely are) then the population issue objection to High Elves has not been invalidated by the addition of Void Elves. Worse, given that the few remaining Alliance High Elves are the likeliest source of new Void Elves, admitting Void Elves can increase their numbers means accepting the already tiny pool of High Elves remaining is decreasing even further.

The only real objection to your theory I have is your belief Blizzard will convert a large chunk of Blood Elves into Void Elves and give Silvermoon to the Alliance and destroy the Sunwell. That is not going to happen.

The Blood Elf-Void Elf storyline is going to be THE storyline of thalassians for the future. The Void Elves are infused with void energies. The Blood Elves draw on the light via the Sunwell (note this does not make Blood Elves something mad like Sun Elves. That would be ridiculous, laughable headcanon. Blood Elves remain High Elves). This mirrors the upcoming struggle between the Void and the Light that is going to dominate the game for the next couple of expansions. For this dichotomy to work, the Blood Elves need to keep drawing on the Sunwell. And to keep drawing on the Sunwell, they need to keep it AND Silvermoon city.

Not to mention the gameplay necessity of the Horde maintaining a city in the eastern kingdoms. Same reason the Horde isn't conquering the Exodar.

Far likelier is the Void Elves absorb most of the High Elves in the Alliance and that makes them large enough to be relevant but not overwhelmingly so.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2018-07-24 at 06:47 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    In regards to the overall thrust of this topic, I believe that the Silver Covenant should be phased out. If we are lucky, the constant High Elf spam on the forums here and on the official side might have provoked Blizzard to write that into a future story point, but I doubt they are going to be moved by forum spam into doing something like that. Although poor High Elf Archmage Ilira WAS converted into Blood Elf Archmage Ilira during the beta and it wouldn't surprise me if the forum noise made Blizzard realise they were being too liberal with their use of High Elves, and so scaled back.
    Just a note on this point. They later added more High Elves through 7th Legion War Mages after the Archmage change.

So, as it has always been, I think Blizzard are just as wishy washy as they've always been with High Elf representation in-game. It speaks volumes that their internal team can't seem to come to an agreement of how little or much they should represent the Alliance High Elves. Probably because, just as us players are, they are also of differing opinions on the significance of that specific group of elves.

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    I don't believe there is an endgame planned for them. They're an Allied Race, not a main race. If Blizzard spent more time fleshing them out (in what way really anyway?) then that means every Allied Race that comes out with little lore would need an endgame as well which would then become insurmountable work and effort very quickly.
    If that "endgame" is intertwined with current expansion's storyline, why wouldn't they do it?

My proposed scenario opens up the possibility for a mag'har "revenge" on (Azeroth's) draenei, for instance, which would be a development for them.

I just believe anyone expecting some WoD level treatment like with the Draenei culture are going to be disappointed when that doesn't happen for Void Elves.
    Not at that level, but some treatment should happen, IMO.

Not to mention the gameplay necessity of the Horde maintaining a city in the eastern kingdoms. Same reason the Horde isn't conquering the Exodar.
    I did cover the Horde invading the Myst Isles. I could totally see it as patch content.
    Last edited by DeicideUH; 2018-07-24 at 06:52 PM.
    Whatever...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    I did cover the Horde invading the Myst Isles. I could totally see it as patch content.
    Yet the Alliance has a gameplay need to have a city in Kalimdor.

There are strong gameplay reasons for the Exodar and Silvermoon to remain in Alliance and Horde hands.

There are extremely strong lore reasons also as to why Silvermoon should not fall to the Alliance as I discussed. Not only because it would ruin the Light Blood Elf versus shadow Void Elf angle I believe Blizzard will pushing on us because the Blood Elf connection to the light would be severed, but it would also mean sentencing the thalssian elves to death, either through withdrawal or from slowly going mad due to being turned into a Void Elf as you proposed.

Silvermoon COULD be invaded during the course of BFA. It would be an appropriate moment to overhaul those zones, merge them into the EK map and make them flyable. But the scale of that task means that an invasion of Silvermoon is arguably unlikely. If it did happen, an invasion does not necessarily mean the Alliance will win (they probably wouldn't).

And IF it fell, and the Exodar fell in response, then we would see some of the ungainly narrative architecture underpinning the game. Yes, if one side loses something then the other side would likely lose something also. But to lose half our cities in one campaign? That is just tit for tat for the sake of it.

If Silvermoon is invaded, put all the effort there, just leave the myst islands out of it, have a thrilling story, have lor'themar die so Liadrin can succeed him as Blood Elf leader and to give the Alliance some kind of win, but have the Horde force the Alliance back.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2018-07-24 at 07:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    And a dying elf. Presumably Vareesa.
    And why are you presuming it's Vareesa? She had no reason to be present in that area... It makes far more sense to assume it's a Night Elf.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    So, in this image, we see Sylvanas, Saurfang, Nathanos... And a dying elf. Presumably Vareesa.

If it is Vareesa, doesn't it make sense that Alleria would join and take over the Silver Covenant, leading them to the Void? They would establish themselves as anti-blood elves, their own race, and we'd finally hear the end of all of this playable high elf stuff. It'd end the conversation, there are no more high elves, they all joined the Horde or Alliance as Blood or Void elves.
    Vareesa is a military commander, if she dies, someone else within the Silver Covenant would step up in her place.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Vareesa is a military commander, if she dies, someone else within the Silver Covenant would step up in her place.
    Auric Sunchaser would be in charge. If that sadly happens or probably Vereesa's sons and Turalyon's Son to lead the remaining High Elves if that happen.
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Lionknight View Post
    Auric Sunchaser would be in charge. If that sadly happens or probably Vereesa's sons and Turalyon's Son to lead the remaining High Elves if that happen.
    They aren't really "remaining High Elves" they are the Silver Covenant, beholden to Dalaran. The vast majority of them may be High Elves, but to say that a High Elf from outside of the Covenant would be a "leader" for them is inaccurate. They are simply an organization.
    Think of it this way, if they were all Humans would they have a claim on the throne or would an influential human from outside of their organization somehow come to lead them because of their Race? Not really feasible. I get that they are an organization of the last of the "High Elves" but if all the Blood Elves suddenly died off and the only organization of them that were left was the Sunstriders, would they suddenly become the Blood Elf nation?

As a group, and an identity they are as much high elves as the Blood Elves. They may have come from a time when their nation was the High Elves, but that's not who they are, nor does it drive their future.

I think Void Elves and High Elves hanging out together in Stormwind and the Rift shows they're more cooperative than disapproving. o_O
    High elves yeah, but the Silver Covenant isn't there. My memory is foggy but I seem to remember lore tidbits implying the Silver Covenant disapproving of the blood elves' fel taint. I could be remembering wrong though.

I'm not sure how much truth there is in this but I always figured the Silver Covenant were their own thing and only a small group of an already small group of remaining Alliance-loyal high elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Why do some still want High Elves though? Void Elves are basically that, just with a different colour palette.
    Except they were blood elves and not high elves, thus having different crucial alignments. Like, most of the current High Elves have never been on the horde.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    All this talk about High Elves and Void Elves, and I just want Naga.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    High elves yeah, but the Silver Covenant isn't there. My memory is foggy but I seem to remember lore tidbits implying the Silver Covenant disapproving of the blood elves' fel taint. I could be remembering wrong though.

I'm not sure how much truth there is in this but I always figured the Silver Covenant were their own thing and only a small group of an already small group of remaining Alliance-loyal high elves.
    Isn't just the Silver Covenant that disapproves the Blood Elves's Fel taint of sucking out magic beings. There are other High Elves like Allerian Stronghold, Highvale, Dalaran High Elves AKA Magus, Stormwind High Elves and Etc all have disapproved of the Blood Elves path down to fel and the horde as well. Because of this they were exiled except for Dalaran ones. They aren't into the Horde and Alliance conflict. They're pretty much neutral just like the Human Wizards of the Kirin Tor.

- - - Updated - - -

There are strong gameplay reasons for the Exodar and Silvermoon to remain in Alliance and Horde hands.

There are extremely strong lore reasons also as to why Silvermoon should not fall to the Alliance as I discussed. Not only because it would ruin the Light Blood Elf versus shadow Void Elf angle I believe Blizzard will pushing on us because the Blood Elf connection to the light would be severed, but it would also mean sentencing the thalssian elves to death, either through withdrawal or from slowly going mad due to being turned into a Void Elf as you proposed.

Silvermoon COULD be invaded during the course of BFA. It would be an appropriate moment to overhaul those zones, merge them into the EK map and make them flyable. But the scale of that task means that an invasion of Silvermoon is arguably unlikely. If it did happen, an invasion does not necessarily mean the Alliance will win (they probably wouldn't).

And IF it fell, and the Exodar fell in response, then we would see some of the ungainly narrative architecture underpinning the game. Yes, if one side loses something then the other side would likely lose something also. But to lose half our cities in one campaign? That is just tit for tat for the sake of it.

If Silvermoon is invaded, put all the effort there, just leave the myst islands out of it, have a thrilling story, have lor'themar die so Liadrin can succeed him as Blood Elf leader and to give the Alliance some kind of win, but have the Horde force the Alliance back.
    Horde has been forcing the alliance back since very beginning of BFA and Lordaeron. Let the alliance get their chance to win for once.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a note on this point. They later added more High Elves through 7th Legion War Mages after the Archmage change.

So, as it has always been, I think Blizzard are just as wishy washy as they've always been with High Elf representation in-game. It speaks volumes that their internal team can't seem to come to an agreement of how little or much they should represent the Alliance High Elves. Probably because, just as us players are, they are also of differing opinions on the significance of that specific group of elves.
    Wasn't there a High Elf Mage during the Arathi Highlands Warfront during the beta?

Can't we just agree to kill all the elves and then celebrate? Is that too much to ask?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Can't we just agree to kill all the elves and then celebrate? Is that too much to ask?
    No. Lets not kill all the Elves. Also stop spamming it everytime there's a High Elf Thread/Bash Thread of them.

Its getting so old and very spammy.

7+ Year Old Account
    No. Lets not kill all the Elves. Also stop spamming it everytime there's a High Elf Thread/Bash Thread of them.

its not more old and spammy than the HE threads itself
    Wasn't there a High Elf Mage during the Arathi Highlands Warfront during the beta?
    as far as we know, they are changed and now are proud void elves

Because high elf threads aren't already. Seriously, I'll stop when people stop asking for even more elf races to play. We have plenty as is.

I feel obligated to inquire about why you feel this is a gameplay necessity?

If every portal and/or ship that currently leads to Exodar/Azuremyst were suddenly re-directed to Ratchet or Gadgetzan, I can't really see how this would affect "gameplay" in any impactful way. I just input "/who Exodar" on US-Sargeras (Alliance), an enormous popular server, and there are four people there -- in total.

Just give the Void Elves normal skin options, i.e. something akin to Alleria's model.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyersing View Post
    I feel obligated to inquire about why you feel this is a gameplay necessity?

If every portal and/or ship that currently leads to Exodar/Azuremyst were suddenly re-directed to Ratchet or Gadgetzan, I can't really see how this would affect "gameplay" in any impactful way. I just input "/who Exodar" on US-Sargeras (Alliance), an enormous popular server, and there are four people there -- in total.
    He's just saying what he said because he actually doesn't want Silvermoon to turn into a Warfront or anything to happen to it unless it results in an improved Modern Silvermoon for Blood Elves only.

Thus having to support that the Exodar needs to exist so that in turn Silvermoon must exist as well.

Which is funny because in the same post Obelisk also refers to how it's so drab to have things be tit-for-tat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    as far as we know, they are changed and now are proud void elves
    The latest I've seen are these guys apparently that exist AFTER the Archmage Ilira change:

And then this new HE npc that's apparently a portal trainer and quest giver in the new Stromgarde/Arathi:

If you have something newer that'd be surprising, but I haven't been up to date on the HE happenings since the discussion thread.

It's Delaryn Summermoon, the leader of the night elf defenders during pre-patch.

Also way to go OP by igniting a high elf discussion with your anti high elf sentiment. Could've posted your idea in the official megathread. You can't really complain that people request them when you reingite the discussion in a new thread instead of using the existing one.