1. #12801
    Quote Originally Posted by Strippling View Post
    "Blood elves are our high elves" - Chris Metzen



    High elves have been playable since TBC, not much he can do about people not accepting that. It is what it is.



    Makes sense that VOID elves would get more VOIDY looks when they do eventually get more customization options. Why would Blizzard give them light skin options? That'd make them more blood elf... It's like asking for DID to receive lighter skin options so they can be more like regular dwarves. If you want to play a light skinned thalassian elf, the Horde is there waiting for you. Blood elves might receive blue eyes and tattoo options soon, so if you want that type of aesthetic then great news... it'll be available to anyone with a subscription!
    Blood Elves aren't High Elves ! Is it really so hard to understand ? They don't have the same values, the same principles. They are turncoat, magic-addicted arrogant asshats who'd seel mother and daughter just to avoid having to endure arcane withdrawal. The High Elves are stoic, dedicated to a fault to their allies and unwilling to compromise their values to find a easy fix to their suffering.

    They were the same, but if even Metzen said that, then he didn't understand the difference between High Elves and Blood Elves.

    And I certainly don't want to be forced to play in the Horde to get an Alliance-exclusive group. Because, face it, High Elves are and will always be Alliance, baring absolute shit retcon which would definitively divorce me from WoW.

    If The Horde get a fuckton of Orc clans and Trolls tribes, things which have been requested with far less intensity than High Elves, if they even receive High Elves customization options for Blood Elves, I'll still be asking for High Elves, because Pandaren rpove that there is no need for different visuals between factions, and Void Elves already gave us the skeleton. All we need is some reskin.

  2. #12802
    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    Blood Elves aren't High Elves ! Is it really so hard to understand ? They don't have the same values, the same principles. They are turncoat, magic-addicted arrogant asshats who'd seel mother and daughter just to avoid having to endure arcane withdrawal. The High Elves are stoic, dedicated to a fault to their allies and unwilling to compromise their values to find a easy fix to their suffering.

    They were the same, but if even Metzen said that, then he didn't understand the difference between High Elves and Blood Elves.

    And I certainly don't want to be forced to play in the Horde to get an Alliance-exclusive group. Because, face it, High Elves are and will always be Alliance, baring absolute shit retcon which would definitively divorce me from WoW.

    If The Horde get a fuckton of Orc clans and Trolls tribes, things which have been requested with far less intensity than High Elves, if they even receive High Elves customization options for Blood Elves, I'll still be asking for High Elves, because Pandaren rpove that there is no need for different visuals between factions, and Void Elves already gave us the skeleton. All we need is some reskin.
    Metzen was referring to the generic fantasy High elf concept, which is indeed closer to Blood elves.
    Wow High elves are actually quite unlike most High elves in fantasy in general.

  3. #12803
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity River View Post
    Sadly from how they mentioned there won't be body options from the way they mentioned no sliders, these new customisation options are going to be purely hairstyles, eye colours, facial features and skin tones maybe also tattoos which isnt a bad thing within itself.

    - - - Updated - - -



    But sadly the Blood elves ARE High elves it's not as if they are a different generation because they are not they are EXACTLY the same people.
    No, they are not. Genes does not make a culture. The High Elves are fervently loyal to the Alliance and willing to endure great suffering to cling to their ideals. The Blood Elves are none of this. They are absolutely not the same. Playing a Blood Elf as if he was the same as a High Elf makes no sense because it's an Horde character without any shred of the nobility and inspiring story of the High Elves.

  4. #12804
    Dreadlord Phaelia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quel’Thalas
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    No, they are not. Genes does not make a culture. The High Elves are fervently loyal to the Alliance and willing to endure great suffering to cling to their ideals. The Blood Elves are none of this. They are absolutely not the same. Playing a Blood Elf as if he was the same as a High Elf makes no sense because it's an Horde character without any shred of the nobility and inspiring story of the High Elves.
    Give me one good example of this “inspiring story” of the High Elves? Surely it’s not part of Arthas’s siege of Quel’Thalas as every Blood Elf in existence was a part of that. Surely it’s not simply Alleria who, while brave, was but one elf. Has there been a whole a High Elf campaign that I’ve missed? Has there been a whole book dedicated solely to their story?

    The answer is no, you’re just building a headcanon about how noble and amazing the elves you wished you could play are. Liadrin is one of the most noble beings on Azeroth. She atoned for her mistakes, even Velen himself forgave her sins.
    I do like the idea of this horrible chaotic evil Blood Elf headcanon you’ve created, but since BC they have been more interested in being scholars and archaeologists than stone cold bastards you paint them out to be. Sure, there’s been a bad egg now and then but let’s not talk about how many evil Humans there are. Not long ago Lor’themar considered rejoining the Alliance until Jaina came and screwed that up, and he was instrument in defying both Garrosh and Sylvanas.

    Not that you need a history lesson, since I’m sure you’ve poured over every inch of lore you can to find something to prove you are correct.
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

  5. #12805
    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    No, they are not. Genes does not make a culture. The High Elves are fervently loyal to the Alliance and willing to endure great suffering to cling to their ideals. The Blood Elves are none of this. They are absolutely not the same. Playing a Blood Elf as if he was the same as a High Elf makes no sense because it's an Horde character without any shred of the nobility and inspiring story of the High Elves.
    Oh please, they are not loyal. There are only a fraction of these people who are loyal to the Alliance. Alleria was special exactly because she was acting differently as the majority of their people.

    It's like having 1 family somewhere which belongs to the Japanese who still behave 100% like in the feudal times, while the rest of their people are already modern. You would not call the one outlier the "main people" because there are so many others out there who have moved on and developed into a different kind of society.

    What is wrong with your logics? The majority of High Elves has decided that they are Blood Elves now. End of story.
    And if you think that Blood Elves have nothing "majestic" on them anymore - well, this is a pretty heavy delusion on your part. The only races which are comparable in the Horde are the Nightborne and the Zandalari, and these have joined only recently. There is a reason why so many "true horde" players reject the Blood Elves even now, after all these years. Because this race is still an anomaly compared to the others.
    Last edited by scubi666stacy; 2019-11-07 at 09:44 AM.

  6. #12806
    Bloodsail Admiral Aldo Hawk's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Silvermoon.
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity River View Post
    But sadly the Blood elves ARE High elves it's not as if they are a different generation because they are not they are EXACTLY the same people.
    No.

    I am not playing a High elf, you can say he is a High elf and be right, but he is not a High elf, my character is a Blood elf, I can't go to the Silver enclave or to Quel'danil, because they are not the same people, I cannot go to Stormwind because my character is not a High elf, my character is not Alliance, and, on the other side, we have these elves that still call themselves High elves that are members of the Alliance.

    From what I read about your last posts on this thread, I think you may feel somewhat done with the whole thing.

    Well, if that's the case I have to kindly ask you to not spread defeatist messages since pretty much everyone is kind of settled on and we have enough with these individuals who only come here to be against every single word that support the request.

  7. #12807
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity River View Post
    Again wrong because they are only re branded High elves they share all the nobility and inspiring stories of the past they only re branded to honour their dead who were all killed by a human.
    Actually, undead. Who was controlled by an orc. Who was also undead by that time.

  8. #12808
    If I remember correctly, he was technically undead from the moment he got Frostmourne and lost his soul to the blade. Some interview (?) later established that it was the proximity to Frostmourne (and hence his soul) that kept him from collapsing to a pile of bones.

    That's also the reason he gained all the undead looking characteristics by the time he returned to Lordaeron. He never died as the usual Scourge. But he was certainly undead (although at which point he became an actual one, someone better educated in the lore and all the retcons might be able to help here), as later on he ripped his own heart and didn't break a sweat.

  9. #12809
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity River View Post
    You cannot tell me where too or where not too post, freedom of speech buddy but also you are wrong they ARE the same people and just because I don't agree with you anymore makes me a defeatist Blood elves are Warcrafts equivalent of High Elves end of story.

    The other elves you speak of are traitors and dishonour their dead after the Prince of their people renamed them in honour of the fallen.
    Those elves are heroes, unlike the scum making up Quel'thalas to this day. They chose values over kin, to stand to what is right despite all odds instead of groveling at the feet of the monsters of the Horde, who murdered their people long before Arthas ever came.

    The Silver Covenant and the Lodge of Quel'Danil have shown more nobility and heroism in their short history as a distinct people than the BE and former HE did.

  10. #12810
    Bloodsail Admiral Aldo Hawk's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Silvermoon.
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity River View Post
    You cannot tell me where too or where not too post, freedom of speech buddy but also you are wrong they ARE the same people and just because I don't agree with you anymore makes me a defeatist Blood elves are Warcrafts equivalent of High Elves end of story.
    I just asked you, since you are not helping. Your freedom of speech is not getting attacked, you can do whatever you want, just please calm down...

    They are not the same people, and you even recognize it on your second paragraph:

    The other elves you speak of are traitors and dishonour their dead after the Prince of their people renamed them in honour of the fallen.
    Doesn't matter how traitorous they are or what you or anybody personally think of them, they aren't the Blood elves and their alignment is with the Alliance, that is the sole reason why the request keeps standing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    Those elves are heroes, unlike the scum making up Quel'thalas to this day. They chose values over kin, to stand to what is right despite all odds instead of groveling at the feet of the monsters of the Horde, who murdered their people long before Arthas ever came.

    The Silver Covenant and the Lodge of Quel'Danil have shown more nobility and heroism in their short history as a distinct people than the BE and former HE did.
    Yeah whatever, the Blood elves were the ones who tried to stay united to keep and defend the realm that now High elves want back, I would not say Blood elves are scum if I were you.

  11. #12811
    Ok so I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, a couple of questions.

    Regardless of how many times Blizzard says "Blood Elves are High Elves" the seven of you just seem to stick your fingers in your ears and go "nanananana" and ignore it, why is that? It's been stated by pretty much every iteration of the lead design team since Cataclysm that this is the way things are, the detractors keep posting links to tweets, interviews, posts, and comments by the design team, lore designers and lead devs and yet they are dismissed. Why? I mean I get that you really want it, but at this stage, five years and almost 700 posts down the line the "if we keep asking for it" line isn't going anywhere.

    Secondly, with the new custom character designs coming probably with the Shadowlands pre-patch there is a VERY high likelihood that Blood Elves will get the blue-eyed character customization, that would kinda blow a hole in your arguments wouldn't it?

  12. #12812
    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    Blood Elves aren't High Elves ! Is it really so hard to understand ? They don't have the same values, the same principles. They are turncoat, magic-addicted arrogant asshats who'd seel mother and daughter just to avoid having to endure arcane withdrawal. The High Elves are stoic, dedicated to a fault to their allies and unwilling to compromise their values to find a easy fix to their suffering.

    They were the same, but if even Metzen said that, then he didn't understand the difference between High Elves and Blood Elves.

    And I certainly don't want to be forced to play in the Horde to get an Alliance-exclusive group. Because, face it, High Elves are and will always be Alliance, baring absolute shit retcon which would definitively divorce me from WoW.

    If The Horde get a fuckton of Orc clans and Trolls tribes, things which have been requested with far less intensity than High Elves, if they even receive High Elves customization options for Blood Elves, I'll still be asking for High Elves, because Pandaren rpove that there is no need for different visuals between factions, and Void Elves already gave us the skeleton. All we need is some reskin.
    Blood elves are high elves, and it's baffling that some players are in such denial over this fact. High elves of the alliance are arrogant just like their blood elven kin. And many of them still sated their addiction by stealing magical artifacts and siphoning the magic from them. Only a few handful of them overcame this addiction (literally talking a small group living in a small lodge). So don't act like high elves are this 'holier than thou' group of elves. They were quick to murder blood elves in the purge of dalaran. And you say they're unwilling to compromise their values... lol. Vareesa (the most noteable high elf) was willing to forsake everything she had and join her sister in the underworld... it was a late minute cold feet that stopped her from doing so, but doesn't change the fact she was willing to.

    I'm sure Chris Metzen understands more about blood elves/high elves than you do. The fact you question that in and of itself shows how naive some helfers can be toward the debate at hand.

    Pandaren were introduced as neutral... completely different situation to blood/high elves and not applicable whatsoever.
    Blood elves are our high elves - Chris Metzen

  13. #12813
    I am Murloc! FlubberPuddy's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Issilian View Post
    Secondly, with the new custom character designs coming probably with the Shadowlands pre-patch there is a VERY high likelihood that Blood Elves will get the blue-eyed character customization, that would kinda blow a hole in your arguments wouldn't it?
    Nope, doesn't blow any arguments. But people seem to keep sticking their fingers in their ears and go "nananana" regardless.

    There are High Elves on the Alliance, High Elves that fight for the Alliance.

    This is a fact. You can even see them at the beginning of Stromgarde Warfront if you're an Alliance player. The Warfronts Alliance won btw, so another victory for High Elves and the Alliance. That's a fact

    If anything, when people keep asking for High Elves post Blue Eye customization on Horde Blood Elves then it should make Blizzard see a little more this isn't about having a 'Horde High Elf on Alliance' and most Alliance High Elf fans just want to play the race they see on their side and helping them in their battles against the Horde as recent as even BfA.

  14. #12814
    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    No, they are not. Genes does not make a culture. The High Elves are fervently loyal to the Alliance and willing to endure great suffering to cling to their ideals. The Blood Elves are none of this. They are absolutely not the same. Playing a Blood Elf as if he was the same as a High Elf makes no sense because it's an Horde character without any shred of the nobility and inspiring story of the High Elves.
    Abandoning your own people is not exactly what I'd call 'inspiring'.

    Also, I think you need to remove the window wipers in front of your eyes. You're misguided in thinking high elves are this noble group. Here's a quick list of things that high elves have done which are anything but 'noble and inspiring':
    - several high elves became assassins and joined the cult of the dark strand. These high elves are hostile to alliance players
    - in cata some of the high elves at Quel'Lithien Lodge found an item of magical energy and succumbed to their addiction, becoming wretched. So much for being "willing to endure great suffering to cling to their ideals"
    - purge of dalaran
    Blood elves are our high elves - Chris Metzen

  15. #12815
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    Nope, doesn't blow any arguments. But people seem to keep sticking their fingers in their ears and go "nananana" regardless.

    There are High Elves on the Alliance, High Elves that fight for the Alliance.

    This is a fact. You can even see them at the beginning of Stromgarde Warfront if you're an Alliance player. The Warfronts Alliance won btw, so another victory for High Elves and the Alliance. That's a fact

    If anything, when people keep asking for High Elves post Blue Eye customization on Horde Blood Elves then it should make Blizzard see a little more this isn't about having a 'Horde High Elf on Alliance' and most Alliance High Elf fans just want to play the race they see on their side and helping them in their battles against the Horde as recent as even BfA.
    Those are just the wild ravings of someone grasping at straws completely ignoring what the devs have been saying for YEARS. You are literally putting your own fan fic as up against canon. Your post is a fantastic example of the kind of wilful ignorance that I was talking about, but thank you for providing an example for me.

  16. #12816
    I am Murloc! FlubberPuddy's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Issilian View Post
    Those are just the wild ravings of someone grasping at straws completely ignoring what the devs have been saying for YEARS. You are literally putting your own fan fic as up against canon. Your post is a fantastic example of the kind of wilful ignorance that I was talking about, but thank you for providing an example for me.
    You can go on an Alliance character and see that High Elves do exist on and are members of the Alliance. Nothing fan-fic about that. Nice try at being condescending though.

  17. #12817
    Ok here is the thing
    Is a biological principle in wow universe that using or absorbing any kind of magic/energy will change you in some way (Green orcs and nightborn for example)
    Some magics make a bigger effect than others, but the principle is there.

    So, what is the diferente between one race and another of the same spices?
    - Facial features, skin color and predisposition to suffer from certain diseases, are characteristics that differentiate one race from another

    what make that difference in real life?
    -The genetic code that can change only with the interaction that the individual has with the environment they live (Interaction with fel magic in the case of blood elves)

    Can you justify these changes genetically?
    - yes. You can si African people and people from the Andes characteristics. The different between their genetics codes.

    Looking at it from this perspective, we can say that the simple fact that high elves have blue eyes and pale skin, in addition to a different code of conduct, makes them a different race from blood elves.
    (Knowing also that both belong to the same species)

  18. #12818
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    You can go on an Alliance character and see that High Elves do exist on and are members of the Alliance. Nothing fan-fic about that. Nice try at being condescending though.
    Yer, what, all 80 of them?

  19. #12819
    Legendary! Obelisk Kai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The north of Ireland
    Posts
    6,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    Here you go again presuming things and being wrong. I have followed WoW since I started in 2010 in Wrath of the Lich King. I have known about MMO-C and followed it's front page/forum/general discussions since then. I would check MMO-C everyday even when I wasn't subbed to WoW for years at a time, just to keep up with its development of things like LFR/Transmog, MoP and all that brought, WoD and its challenges/abrupt end etc etc.

    The topic of players asking for High Elves was almost non-existant. It didn't explode until Allied Races became a system.

    Maybe you're the one spending 99% of your time hoping High Elves never happen and thus cannot lift your gaze from the fact that the request has been pretty niche compared to everything else until AR system came. Now we have almost every convention some media person asking about High Elves status updates or Blue Eyes on the Blood Elves - something that was never a thing because of how niche the ask truly was before.
    Untrue. I could ask @Zaelsino to confirm that the topic of High Elves was, prior to the introduction of the Allied race system, seasonal, given that at the time he was the moderator who had to intervene the most in those debates and likely remembers doing so. Prior to a Blizzcon with an expected expansion announcement, High Elf threads were fairly common on MMO Champion's general discussions. Once an expansion announcement was made and the possibility nuked for another two years, it would fade away. A particularly bad period was the period around Warlords of Draneor which had multiple threads on the go on this topic. As I said, your personal experience that the topic was non-existant isn't relevant to the fact it did flare up quite severely in the past. The difference between the past and the present was that Allied races, as a potentially evergreen feature, opened up the possibility of High Elves being added without having to wait for an expansion announcement. This is what transformed what was previously a seasonal debate into one that has ground on constantly until today. However I do believe we are entering the endgame of this particular discussion.

    Of the two routes towards Alliance High Elves, both have now been foreclosed. The factions restrictions governing existing races will continue, meaning no Alliance Blood Elves (who after all, are High Elves). And the Battle for Azeroth Allied race cycle has come to an end with each faction getting five races a piece. Alliance High Elves were not among the races chosen and, given that Allied races are now slated to become much, much rarer, they are unlikely ever to be a thing. The lure of adding something genuinely new and exciting to the Alliance will always win out over the addition of a duplicate of an already available Horde race, particularly if that is fated to be the only addition every two to four years.

    With both lanes towards Alliance High Elves now closed, we are left with the road to the ersatz high elves, also known as Void Elf customization.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    Actually, I said Ion chose his words very carefully that if they wanted to implement faction-grouping, his talks of it not being a mercernary system would still be correct. That's what I said for the article.

    Also, I do listen: "It's always possible in the future, but no plans in the near term for High Elves as an Allied Race" - Ion Hazzikostas, also "It's possible, it's always possible. Don't give up hope! Just be respectful about it" - Alex Afrasiabi (you keep referring to him as Holinka. SWOLEinka is the Class Design dude, he was part of the deep dive panel this year).
    I think your response to that article proves that you really hear what you want to hear sometimes. After all, Ion was fairly clear the faction divide wasn't going anywhere and yet you persisted in saying faction-grouping was still a possible outcome. In the end, there was no hidden agenda or carefully parsed words from Ion Hazzikostas, what he said was what he meant.

    Just as with Afrasiabi, you hear what you want to hear. Afrasiabi did not volunteer anything about Void Elves getting fair skins. He merely said it was possible. As for his 'don't lose hope' line, given that immediately segued into a talk about being respectful on the forums (and which was the meat of his answer, he spent a lot longer talking about forum decorum than the void elf skin line answer which, should we forget, was just 'it's possible) it sounds to me that he was mindful that people who don't lose hope are less prone to rage and give their CMs a headache. After all we know the developers know about this request and likely regard it as a flaming, toxic dumpster fire.

    Same thing with Ion being nice to that guy who talked him with at Blizzcon 2017, you saw it as progress whereas I spoke with a friend of mine who actually worked for Blizzard and worked a convention for them and who basically explained it as Ion being nice to someone and not wanting to spoil his day.

    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...thread/page480

    You keep seeing progress where none is even implied. Even when they state something directly without equivocation, i.e. when you should be paying attention, you still persist in drawing the opposite conclusion. From the initial crackpot theory you put forward that High Elves were being kept under wraps so that they wouldn't overshadow Void Elves, despite Ion stating High Elves weren't added because they were identical to Blood Elves to seeing Afrasiabi's comments as some kind of promise when they were just a plea for the more radical amongst you to calm down, you keep drawing the wrong conclusions from developer commentary because you try to make it conform to your own end goal.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    Actually, from what you should be able to see, many do not consider it the "lynchpin of their request" as many continue to say that they will keep asking for High Elves despite whenever/if Blood Elves get Blue Eyes as a customization.

    It's almost as if it's about more than an eye color, and hopefully once people continue to ask about Alliance High Elves post blue eye customization then Blizzard finally sees that as well. Only time will tell.
    Time doesn't need to tell. Fyresing was already talking about how High Elves are defined by their loyalty to the Alliance which, should Blood Elves get the blue eyes customization as is widely expected, will be the last acknowledged difference between the two groups. And fundamentally agrees with what I have said for the past two years, the only real difference between a Blood Elf and a High Elf is political and that is not enough. Regardless, whilst some may continue to ask, the granting of the last apparent physical difference to Blood Elves is going to erode a substantial amount of the tiny piece of argument the pro High Elf community has left.

    You will have nothing to hide behind when asking for High Elves anymore if all that is different is their allegiance. It will be asking for the ability to play a Horde race on the Alliance. That is actually the case now mind you, remember, a blue eye colour is just that, an eye colour. A piddling little eye colour. If anyone is desperately hoping Blizzard DOESN'T give Blood Elves blue eyes so as to preserve the imagined differences between Blood Elves and Alliance High Elves, I reckon they would have to ask themselves how they are justifying Blood Elves and Alliance High Elves being different.



    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    This is where your bias continues to show, as you very aptly below try to explain why High Elf skins on a Void Elf wouldn't be enough for a person to say "yay I finally can play a High Elf on the Alliance!"

    Btw, a generic jungle troll finally getting customization to become a desert troll destroys your argument here. A desert and jungle are completely different environments and the societies they develop will be different too.

    Let's also not forget that Blood Trolls are apparently coming as well, who are batshit insane cultists as per your words I think. Yeah that'll totally jive with the whole 'relaxed vibes' that Darkspear voice-lines/greetings/etc give. Blood Trolls were also directly against the Horde so even that customization doubles down on how different it is from your explanations.

    Again, for most people - it will be enough. Though I really wonder how sappy it'll look when you try to go individuals that refer to their characters as "X troll type" and say 'nuh uh you're still a jungle troll!!" Most people will probably respond to you and others that say that as most RPers do -> /ignore. Might even report people if they do it enough times for harassment. You know it's gonna happen with some, as there's already asshats across the forums being uppity over the added people of color customization coming to Humans for instance.
    Void Elves ARE High Elves. This is why the clever thing would have been to declare victory on this topic two years ago following their reveal. But Void Elves are a type of High Elf, a variant. They are not the original High Elves who are present on the Horde. Not all races are equal. Some will be better able to carry the advanced customization options they are getting and facilitate the fantasy. Void Elves are at the very bottom of the list, because their specific origin precludes anyone from playing them as anything other than what they are, a Void Elf. Even in the unlikely event Blizzard gives them perfectly fair skin and glowing blond hair, the moment Entropic Embrace procs is the moment the illusion shatters.

    So how do you solve that? Perhaps give those Void Elves with unique skins unique racials? Perhaps different voice lines? Perhaps the ability to tag themselves as High Elves rather than Void Elves? Or perhaps you do none of that and whatever customization options are intended for Void Elves aren't intended to undermine the fantasy of the Void Elf or disguise the fact they are Void Elves and that Void Elves will get whatever Void Elves will get whilst remaining unambiguously Void Elves.



    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    They also said they are not doing customization for Allied Races at this time, though that they can bring the expanded tech (like separate eye color from face) to them as well.

    And did I not tell you, that people were going to ask for expanded customization on their Allied Races? See, it is very likely that once original race customization finishes, they will expand customization later on for Allied Races. And since we see from the examples they've shown that they're not sticking to the original color palettes (pale Undead -> now getting Dark/Murky/Mucky options, blue trolls -> now getting Tan/Dark/Black options) this means the goal of these new customization updates is purely to increase aesthetic diversity.

    Comfortably, I can deduce that for Allied Races - when it's their turn, will also get the same treatment. You should hope that they decide to keep AR within a specific aesthetic, but like I already said - judging by desert trolls and blood trolls who have completely different environments at aesthetics to jungle trolls -> Blizzard doesn't seem to care. As the goal is purely, increase the aesthetic diversity for any given race.
    Everyone and their mother knows Allied races will be getting some attention at some point. Although Vulpera and the Mechagnomes have so many options I figure they have been built as expanded customization ready and may not get the same level of attention.

    The key issue with you looking to the core races and presuming Blizzard doesn't care about the aesthetic is however somewhat easy to dismantle. Because, as stated, there is a certain level of flexibility with the core races the Allied races do not have. For example, would Lightforged Draenei be expected to have red Eredar skin tones?
    Why should they not? After all, your argument is that Blizzard doesn't care and it would be expand customization options for Lightforged Draenei and there are plenty of people over the years who have asked to play Eredar, why not use Lightforged as the way to deliver it?

    Because the lore of the Lightforged makes a nonsense of the idea, that is why. Just as the lore of the Void Elves is highly limiting towards what can be done with them as well, as a Void Elf is the result of a specific process wherein they are bombarded by void energy to provoke a transformation. And on that topic, it is slightly ridiculous to suggest that the customizations Blizzard are likely to provide are the ones you crave, because there is already a traditional high elf type within the game already. Why would Blizzard want to do something as boring as that? Why would the artist assigned to build void elf customization options even be briefed to do that?
    I figure it is far more likely Blizzard will 'lean in' to the void concept. More tentacles. More shadowy effects. And any fair skin options heavily tainted or mottled with void energies. In other words, making a Void Elf like a Void Elf.

    Void Elves should not be used as the vector for a true original High Elf fantasy for the Alliance faction because that infringes on the racial identity and faction integrity of the Blood Elves and the Horde faction. And as they literally said three or four times this week, faction integrity matters. The faction divide matters.

    They keep saying this and you keep not hearing their answer.

    This debate ends the day Void Elf customization is previewed on the PTR, probably in just under two years. If, as expected, Blood Elves get the blue eyes (and glowing tattoos) and if Void Elf expanded customization is about making them actual Void Elves rather than the ersatz high elf result (which is still a Void Elf)...then that will be that. A pass on both races will have been made and Void Elves would not have gotten high elf like skins (although, once again, a void elf with fair skin will still have void elf racials and void elf lore. An ersatz high elf is still a Void Elf).

    That will be game over day.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2019-11-07 at 08:30 PM.

  20. #12820
    Quote Originally Posted by Issilian View Post
    Yer, what, all 80 of them?
    More than void elves (elite squad = 5 to 15 soldiers)

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad

    Yet they are a playable race
    Last edited by Ignaz; 2019-11-07 at 02:45 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •