1. #13601
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    Or even just pink skin customization options, it doesn't have to be a racial ability.
    Giving void elves "pink skin" options would essentially just be making them more like their parent race. This would somewhat break the barrier of distinction between the parent race/allied race counterpart. I highly doubt blizzard would do that, given they've already expressed their desire to avoid blurring faction lines and maintaining faction and racial identity.
    Blood elves are our high elves - Chris Metzen

  2. #13602
    Quote Originally Posted by Strippling View Post
    Giving void elves "pink skin" options would essentially just be making them more like their parent race. This would somewhat break the barrier of distinction between the parent race/allied race counterpart. I highly doubt blizzard would do that, given they've already expressed their desire to avoid blurring faction lines and maintaining faction and racial identity.
    The problem is, they should be like their parent race. They should be like Alleria, who was the first void elf and teased them to us. I mean, I can make my Mag'har look like Grom or Garrosh Hellscream, why can't I make a Void elf who looks similar to Alleria Windrunner, the first void elf and their leader?

  3. #13603
    Legendary! Obelisk Kai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The north of Ireland
    Posts
    6,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
    The problem is, they should be like their parent race. They should be like Alleria, who was the first void elf and teased them to us. I mean, I can make my Mag'har look like Grom or Garrosh Hellscream, why can't I make a Void elf who looks similar to Alleria Windrunner, the first void elf and their leader?
    Because Alleria is a hero character, like Anduin the plate wearing, sword-wielding priest and thus is subject to different considerations.

    Also because Alleria ate the heart of a dark naaru in order to become a Void Elf. The other Void Elves were the victims of an abortive transformation process, Different processes have different results.

  4. #13604
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
    The problem is, they should be like their parent race. They should be like Alleria, who was the first void elf and teased them to us. I mean, I can make my Mag'har look like Grom or Garrosh Hellscream, why can't I make a Void elf who looks similar to Alleria Windrunner, the first void elf and their leader?
    Undead haven't ever been able to be customized to look like their racial leader (Sylvanas).. why should void elves be given special treatment?
    Blood elves are our high elves - Chris Metzen

  5. #13605
    Legendary! Obelisk Kai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The north of Ireland
    Posts
    6,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Strippling View Post
    Giving void elves "pink skin" options would essentially just be making them more like their parent race. This would somewhat break the barrier of distinction between the parent race/allied race counterpart. I highly doubt blizzard would do that, given they've already expressed their desire to avoid blurring faction lines and maintaining faction and racial identity.
    This is a good argument against them getting a normal skin range.

    This argument will very likely prevail once they sit down and work out how they are going to expand Void Elf customization. But for the moment, the possibility does exist that they may get options of this sort, as Afrasiabi did say they were possible.

    Of course, should they get those options, that will still be a Void Elf, a thalassian elf transformed by the void, rather than a traditional High Elf. That this debate has basically collapsed onto this possibility merely demonstrates that the chances of the High Elf exiles getting their own dedicated race slot truly has become virtually non-existent.

  6. #13606
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignaz View Post

    So why are they an allied race and not a customization for regular orcs?
    Mag'har never drank the demon blood, frostwolf clans. They are the "uncorrupted" orcs. Would not be a customization for normal orcs that drank the demon blood.

  7. #13607
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    Mag'har never drank the demon blood, frostwolf clans. They are the "uncorrupted" orcs. Would not be a customization for normal orcs that drank the demon blood.
    Exactly. Regular orcs are corrupted Orcs.

  8. #13608
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHR View Post
    I'm not sure why this is even a discussion still

    Blizzard will do with Alliance High Elves as they did with private servers, something they were equally adamant about not happening, until it did.

    Playable High Elves require even less effort
    Show me those high elves on private servers, i never knew that D:

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignaz View Post
    Exactly. Regular orcs are corrupted Orcs.
    Yep. And not putting even into account that Mag'har themselves, are proud to be uncorrupted and that they have 3 skin colors too, enough to make another race (allied race):

    Black skin - Blackrock Clan-
    Gray - Burning Blade, laughing skull, etc
    White - Bleeding hollow, Frostwolf, warsong, shadowmoon, etc

    Overlord Geya'rah: Strength and honor. Blood and thunder. Mere words to others... but everything to us. We are the last survivors of a proud tribe. The uncorrupted... the unbroken... the Mag'har!

  9. #13609
    Legendary! Obelisk Kai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The north of Ireland
    Posts
    6,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    Show me those high elves on private servers, i never knew that D:
    I think what he means is that Blizzard will give the Alliance High Elves, just as they introduced classic despite saying they would never do so. Until classic became a thing, only private servers allowed players to live the classic experience, and Blizzard was notoriously resistant to doing a classic version of WoW. The idea is that Blizzard will cave under the persistent pressure.

    The problem with his argument is that it is incredibly sloppy thinking. It argues that because Blizzard changed their mind on one thing, they will inevitably change their mind on something else. This ignores that these are two completely different topics. That this topic is incredibly niche, whereas the demand for classic servers was vast.

    And that when Blizzard introduced the Allied race system, they had the perfect vehicle for introducing High Elves to the Alliance (in fact Ion Hazzikostas had used High Elves as one of two examples of what could be added in a sub-race system when asked about the possibility of such a system in 2014, the other being the now playable Mag'har Orcs) and they created Void Elves instead rather than add High Elves.

  10. #13610
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    I think what he means is that Blizzard will give the Alliance High Elves, just as they introduced classic despite saying they would never do so. Until classic became a thing, only private servers allowed players to live the classic experience, and Blizzard was notoriously resistant to doing a classic version of WoW. The idea is that Blizzard will cave under the persistent pressure.

    The problem with his argument is that it is incredibly sloppy thinking. It argues that because Blizzard changed their mind on one thing, they will inevitably change their mind on something else. This ignores that these are two completely different topics. That this topic is incredibly niche, whereas the demand for classic servers was vast.

    And that when Blizzard introduced the Allied race system, they had the perfect vehicle for introducing High Elves to the Alliance (in fact Ion Hazzikostas had used High Elves as one of two examples of what could be added in a sub-race system when asked about the possibility of such a system in 2014, the other being the now playable Mag'har Orcs) and they created Void Elves instead rather than add High Elves.
    Ye, well i always thought void elves creation was a response as to "high elves are not happening" to us.

    So i was skeptic after void elves creation and addition to the game.

    To be honest, i still am.

  11. #13611
    Legendary! Obelisk Kai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The north of Ireland
    Posts
    6,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    Ye, well i always thought void elves creation was a response as to "high elves are not happening" to us.

    So i was skeptic after void elves creation and addition to the game.

    To be honest, i still am.
    Void Elves were clearly created as a compromise. They likely sat down, considered adding High Elves to the Alliance, and after thinking it through realised Blood Elves pretty much are High Elves. This meant adding the High Elves to the Alliance was firstly redundant in that the option to play a High Elf is already in game, and secondly damaging to the faction divide as it would essentially making taking a Horde exclusive option and making it available to both sides.

    Void Elves are an attempt to give the Alliance their own kind of High Elves, thus appeasing those who coveted the thalassian elf model, whilst maintaining enough of a difference that the division between the factions are maintained. The current demand to make Void Elves more like Blood Elves to simulate a High Elf ideal shows that Blizzard was successful in creating a level of difference.

  12. #13612
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    This is a good argument against them getting a normal skin range.

    This argument will very likely prevail once they sit down and work out how they are going to expand Void Elf customization. But for the moment, the possibility does exist that they may get options of this sort, as Afrasiabi did say they were possible.

    Of course, should they get those options, that will still be a Void Elf, a thalassian elf transformed by the void, rather than a traditional High Elf. That this debate has basically collapsed onto this possibility merely demonstrates that the chances of the High Elf exiles getting their own dedicated race slot truly has become virtually non-existent.
    Agreed, anything is possible but I'd be surprised if they did give void elves "high elf" customization's. Their entire thematic is about "void and shadow", it would make no sense to "devoid" their thematic simply to offer a customization that is already available via the blood elves. It'd be a disservice to both void elves and blood elves.

    Plus, Alleria underwent a different transformation to the playable void elves. Void elves have no reason to have normal skin tone/hair options. And what baffles me more is players who claim they want high elves for lore reasons, yet are happy to butcher the lore and thematic of the void elves just so that they could play out their alliance high elf exile fantasy. If you appreciate the lore then you'd appreciate that A) blood elves are our high elves, they're the legacy of the high elves and the high elven fantasy is fulfilled through them, and B) there is no clear example of who or what an alliance aligned high elf exile is (as was specifically stated by the lead WoW developer).

    Also, directly from Ion: And so, the Void Elf angle, as it tied into the story of Argus, the powers of Alleria awakened and was able to train others to harness, was able to give something that felt a bit like a Blood Elf but had a unique flavor of its own to the Alliance.

    They intended void elves to have a unique flavor to blood elves. Giving them "high elf" customizations would certainly contradict this.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHR View Post
    I'm not sure why this is even a discussion still

    Blizzard will do with Alliance High Elves as they did with private servers, something they were equally adamant about not happening, until it did.

    Playable High Elves require even less effort
    Classic WoW had a significantly greater following and level of support from the community. The classic petition had over 200,000 signatories, plus multiple successful private servers.

    The high elf petition had 600 or so signatories. Your kidding yourself if you think the high elf situation is comparable in the slightest to WoW classic.
    Blood elves are our high elves - Chris Metzen

  13. #13613
    Quote Originally Posted by Strippling View Post
    Agreed, anything is possible but I'd be surprised if they did give void elves "high elf" customization's. Their entire thematic is about "void and shadow", it would make no sense to "devoid" their thematic simply to offer a customization that is already available via the blood elves. It'd be a disservice to both void elves and blood elves.

    Plus, Alleria underwent a different transformation to the playable void elves. Void elves have no reason to have normal skin tone/hair options. And what baffles me more is players who claim they want high elves for lore reasons, yet are happy to butcher the lore and thematic of the void elves just so that they could play out their alliance high elf exile fantasy. If you appreciate the lore then you'd appreciate that A) blood elves are our high elves, they're the legacy of the high elves and the high elven fantasy is fulfilled through them, and B) there is no clear example of who or what an alliance aligned high elf exile is (as was specifically stated by the lead WoW developer).

    Also, directly from Ion: And so, the Void Elf angle, as it tied into the story of Argus, the powers of Alleria awakened and was able to train others to harness, was able to give something that felt a bit like a Blood Elf but had a unique flavor of its own to the Alliance.

    They intended void elves to have a unique flavor to blood elves. Giving them "high elf" customizations would certainly contradict this.
    That's true, couldn't agree more in that sense. Always felt that to have high elves now, they don't mind messing lore with blood elves or void elves to have it. It's like it doesn't matter destroying the lore of those 2 that are in game, in order to make alliance high elves.

    Kind of reminds me of Hitler/Nazism wanting Aryan races (blue eyed and blond), master race, and exterminate all others.
    Last edited by Shakana; 2019-11-25 at 12:29 AM.

  14. #13614
    I agree with @Strippling and @Obelisk Kai here.

    In my opinión, the addition of customizations that resemble the uncorrupted visual of HE to void elves would in some way violate the visual identity of blood elves, since they share the exact same model.

    I do not exclude the fact that this may happen in the future (It's blizzard), neither I say that the idea is a small thing (each idea has its own light); but I think that making VE more similar to BE than they already are, would be redundant. In that case they would have integrated HE as they already are in-game (just a recolor)

    on the other hand, seeing HE practicing void magic together with VE makes me think that Blizzard wants to do that.
    Last edited by Ignaz; 2019-11-25 at 03:48 AM.

  15. #13615
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Because Alleria is a hero character, like Anduin the plate wearing, sword-wielding priest and thus is subject to different considerations.

    Also because Alleria ate the heart of a dark naaru in order to become a Void Elf. The other Void Elves were the victims of an abortive transformation process, Different processes have different results.
    Because nobody gives a fuck about this. Alleria was the first void elf, it is bullshit that she looks completely different from her people. Like, fuck even if they have normal void elves all have blue skin, there is not reason why we couldn't get at least tattoos, a hairstyle and a heritage armor resembling Allerias or at least the Locuswalkers style.

    And yeah, I can't get the super rez look of Anduin, but I can make my character look like he's from the same race as Anduin. And a priest wearing plate and wielding a sword is still a fucking paladin. Especially with mass rez being a paladin ability.

  16. #13616
    Quote Originally Posted by Strippling View Post
    Giving void elves "pink skin" options would essentially just be making them more like their parent race. This would somewhat break the barrier of distinction between the parent race/allied race counterpart. I highly doubt blizzard would do that, given they've already expressed their desire to avoid blurring faction lines and maintaining faction and racial identity.
    It wouldn't break anything. Void elves would still go voidform due to their racial proc in combat, so you'd have to be blind to mistake one for a Blood elf.

    Like, I don't want to sound rude, but if you can't tell this isn't a Blood elf you need some glasses:


  17. #13617
    If Blizzard gives Faceless Ones looks to VE, instead of real customization to make them less like the lore-breaking, ridiculous little group of abominarions one step away from losing it to the Void, they are, well, it'll be the Mechagnomes fiasco all over again.

    If I want to play a blue/purple Alliance character with tentacles, I have the Draenei (who still are my favorites, male draenei model is the best). Blizzard so called differenr flavor of thalassian elves for the Alliance was to give us cheap recolored TBC blood elves. And the anti-HE crowd is eating that shit up because "so different, much alliance".

    Well, I don't. If Blizzard is so fucking dumb as to refuse the addition of playable HE, the least they can do is allow VE to look like those, not like cancerous shit that nobody will use, reinforcinc the same face problem.

    And again, if the model is the problem, tweak it and change the old HE models like they did for the Zandalari trolls three times and a half !

  18. #13618
    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    If Blizzard is so fucking dumb as to refuse the addition of playable HE, the least they can do is allow VE to look like those, not like cancerous shit that nobody will use, reinforcinc the same face problem.
    Unfortunately, the people currently running the game care more about being #1 Horde Players who will stop at nothing to ensure the Alliance has nothing cool left, even if means stripping or omitting Alliance themes and whilst giving them to the Horde.

  19. #13619
    I am Murloc! FlubberPuddy's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    And two, human nature being what it is, giving human range skin tones to Void Elves would mean most Void Elves taking that customisation rather than thematically appropriate blues or purples. Void Elves as a group would lose something distinctive and they have a right to be their own thing, not forever treated as the next best thing to a high elf on the Alliance and made to suffer for that.
    This is not a good argument as both Death Knights and Demon Hunters have specific skins associated with them yet people choose the regular non-dead ones more often than those specifically dead skins. Nobody cares. This argument was dead-on-arrival.

    There's people that literally play their Blue Eyed Blood Elf DK as if they were never "Sin'dorei" at all. Blizzard isn't going around telling them they can't do that. Same for all other players who choose their Orc or Human to still have living skin tones.

    Source that Blood Elf DK is a Blood Elf, go to 5th post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/7592203059

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHR View Post
    Eh, Classic's current numbers far surpass any previous petition and a high elf implementation obviously would too

    There is no scenario where high elven implementation doesn't print money, it's only a matter of when Blizzard caves
    High Elves are still the most requested race for the game. It's crazy that even that is a thing. It is crazy that people who aren't invested into it have heard of this request still being a thiing. I see it often on places like Reddit/other WoW-related sites.

  20. #13620
    Quote Originally Posted by The Silver Covenant View Post
    Unfortunately, the people currently running the game care more about being #1 Horde Players who will stop at nothing to ensure the Alliance has nothing cool left, even if means stripping or omitting Alliance themes and whilst giving them to the Horde.
    Stop that accusation crap. It's about story integrity and racial integrity. When 90-99% of a race belong to a group, then the rest should be irrelevant.
    High Elves would automatically be claiming higher ground because "we have the original name". This will happen to 100% - and it should not.

    Blood Elves are the WoW interpretation of High Elves according to story and lore. As long as Blizzard does not start to write lore about some other hidden kingdom of High Elves which has been magically consealed the whole time, Blood Elves are the High Elves of WoW. This is how the story goes. Throw your tantrums about it, it does not matter.

    BTW, the Alliance has more than enough iconic races. And Night Elves are much more interesting than your generic High Elves. I don't want High Elves in the Alliance because of Night Elves. They are one of my favorite races there and should not be compromised even more. Void Elves are distnct enough, but High Elves would directly infringe on Night Elf specialities (like people speak about rangers). Night Elves recently got the Highborne back, so they also have their arcanists now. There is no reason to get High Elves on top to 2 already existing, distinctive Elven groups in the Alliance.

    They should rather give Night Elves their dignity back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •