1. #13881
    Legendary! Obelisk Kai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The north of Ireland
    Posts
    6,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    We have discussed this like 3 times now, not sure that we have to point out our arguments another time, but one thing you haven't answered:

    So, Alleria is a Void Elf you say, but she can be in her High Elf form as she pleases. She is a High Elf as you also say, not former Blood Elf. And you say it's more than fine that Void Elf players can RP as former Alliance High Elves, like Alleria. But I have seen you being opposed to the idea of High Elf skin for Void Elf players. Isn't that being a bit hypocritical?

    Surely it must be okay that those Void Elf players who RP as High Elves get a High Elf customization then?
    Alleria is unique because of her unique nature and the unique method by which she came by her powers. But I consider her a 'High Elf' only in the sense I consider all Void Elves as high elves, as Ion Hazzikostas described them, as 'another flavour of High Elf'. Void Elves are High Elves, but a variant. The blueberry icecream to the vanilla ice cream. The Samsung galaxy S10e to the S10.

    There is a difference that is fundamental to making a Void Elf, a Void Elf.

    The process that transformed Void Elves was being bombarded by void energies. This provoked a skin tone shift. The gameplay rationale for why it did this is not hard to figure out given Blizzard employed skin tone shifts on multiple allied races. It was to accentuate the differences between the allied race and the parent it was based off. Blue to purple skin tones are thematically appropriate for a race built on the theme of the void.

    Unlike the addition of the High Elven exiles as a distinct allied race which seems to have been comprehensively ruled out, Holinka's comments at Blizzcon 2018 shows that high elf like customization is possible on Void Elves. But possible does not mean guaranteed.
    I am opposed to Void Elves receiving high elf like customization as it undermines one of the key aesthetic differences between Void Elves and Blood/High Elves. I don't think it is fair to try and turn Void Elves into ersatz tradition high elves. They can never be that. While it is perfectly possible to roleplay a Void Elf who used to be a High Elf exile, it is impossible to roleplay a Void Elf as if they never became a Void Elf and remained a High Elf. It is still a Void Elf. It is always going to be the variant and roleplayers are free to have any story they want for their toon so long as it is consistent with the origin of the character.


    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassian Bob View Post
    1.) True, I did quite enjoy getting onto the MoP beta back when I modded on here!

    2.) That is regrettably true. But, as we mentioned earlier, some of them have probably been in Dalaran for years so I suppose a lot of them have probably become Kirin Tor first and high elven second, so I begrudgingly understand it.

    3.) No problem!

    4.) You could be right there. That's no doubt a huge part of it for a lot of people. But, I think it's a blend of the two to varying degrees depending on the individual in question.
    I don't particularly like betas, I prefer to keep as much content fresh as I possibly can. Should I get in all I will likely do is mess around with the new customization options and see how the class unpruning is going.

    In regards to the desire for high elves as a distinct allied race, every individual has their own rationale for wanting them. Some probably genuinely do want them for lore based reasons. But my experience has shown that the majority are in it for the aesthetics.

  2. #13882
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Alleria is unique because of her unique nature and the unique method by which she came by her powers. But I consider her a 'High Elf' only in the sense I consider all Void Elves as high elves, as Ion Hazzikostas described them, as 'another flavour of High Elf'. Void Elves are High Elves, but a variant. The blueberry icecream to the vanilla ice cream. The Samsung galaxy S10e to the S10.

    There is a difference that is fundamental to making a Void Elf, a Void Elf.

    The process that transformed Void Elves was being bombarded by void energies. This provoked a skin tone shift. The gameplay rationale for why it did this is not hard to figure out given Blizzard employed skin tone shifts on multiple allied races. It was to accentuate the differences between the allied race and the parent it was based off. Blue to purple skin tones are thematically appropriate for a race built on the theme of the void.

    Unlike the addition of the High Elven exiles as a distinct allied race which seems to have been comprehensively ruled out, Holinka's comments at Blizzcon 2018 shows that high elf like customization is possible on Void Elves. But possible does not mean guaranteed.
    I am opposed to Void Elves receiving high elf like customization as it undermines one of the key aesthetic differences between Void Elves and Blood/High Elves. I don't think it is fair to try and turn Void Elves into ersatz tradition high elves. They can never be that. While it is perfectly possible to roleplay a Void Elf who used to be a High Elf exile, it is impossible to roleplay a Void Elf as if they never became a Void Elf and remained a High Elf. It is still a Void Elf. It is always going to be the variant and roleplayers are free to have any story they want for their toon so long as it is consistent with the origin of the character.
    Then there wouldn't much point to RP as High Elf if there is nothing about about that character that resembles a High Elf. People might RP as they like, but I highly doubt people who are interested in High Elves would settle for that. If they could turn into the way Alleria turned into the void, a more controlled transformation then there could be a possibility.

    I mean, if they recruit now, it would be logical that they do it in a controlled matter, aka Alleria way. So far the Void Elves we play with are the ones that came with Magister Umbric. Giving a going out of form thing like Alleria would go with the idea that they are recruiting. If the story reflect this, then I can't see why not. It wouldn't make everyone happy, and nothing ever does, but that would actually show what are you are trying to get through, that Alliance High Elves also go the Void Elven way. So far nothing in the game reflect this directly, but changing this customization would change a lot.

  3. #13883
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Because you seek to use time to discount those events, not argue that things moved on.
    No, that's your misinterpretation of what I wrote. I never wrote or implied those events never happened. This is just you reading what you want to read because you want an argument.

    No, I am pointing out your hypocrisy.
    There is no hypocrisy because, again, you are basing your argument on a false premise.

    Pandaren don't face the same tests. They are already playable and have nothing to prove.
    Assuming you missed the point accidentally: the pandaren are proof that 'NPC representation' arguments don't hold water.

  4. #13884
    I expect lots of rage here and in other places when Blood Elves will inevitably get blue eyes as new customizations.
    It *will* feel like a slap in Alliance players faces and I don't approve it but it seems inevitable at this point.

    I'm also pretty sure, however, that Void Elves will see Alleria-like skins available at some point in the future as a final compromise but with things like Wildhammer dwarves, Sand Trolls etc being baked in as simple customizations I cannot see any future for High Elves as their own race/allied race, if there ever was one to begin with.

  5. #13885
    Bloodsail Admiral Aldo Hawk's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Silvermoon.
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Good thing you don't decide what we can discuss then. Stop coming into the discussion we have if you don't want to hear, we are discussing something, and when someone argues something, then I want to hear their side of the argument.
    Except that argument is detrimental to the thread, since it's giving importance to things that don't actually have it in regards to the matter at hand.
    Last edited by Aldo Hawk; 2019-12-09 at 12:12 AM.

  6. #13886
    Over 9000! Kithelle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere where canon still exists
    Posts
    9,485
    Quote Originally Posted by scubi666stacy View Post
    It's like having 1 albino exemplar of the species in a million and demand that this rare phenotype is the rule, and the majority is an outlier.
    Totally moronic.

    High Elves are a minority which will go extinct. No matter how hard they cling to their "true" name, they are irrelevant. And thus should not be in the game as PCs.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The blue eyes option should be there for Blood Elves, namely the arcanists.
    Void Elves have been drastically altered by the Void and should not look like High Elves anymore. And if they assimilate other Thallasian Elves, no matter where these come from, they also change to the Void pattern. Just like Lightforged Draenei have their specifics which differentiate them from normal Draenei.

    Enough with more Elves, anyway. Give Stormwind Humans a Half-Elf customization option if anything, and be done with that. Half-Elves have more future potential in the Alliance.
    You're right...you're right since we have no actual numbers and we keep seeing more new High Elven characters as expansions go by...but you're right. We also have a race that is literally described as a crack team...so numbers don't matter, but you're right.

    I'm sure there are also millions of Forsaken running around...has to be 10 million MechaGnomes...Goblin island was practically destroyed and it's safe to say many died because they couldn't escape...but there is probably least a few million Goblins running around? I'm sure the Draenei were lightforging everyone they could right? Safe to imagine the entirety of Orcs on Draenor managed to escape right?

    Stop pretending like made up numbers matter...especially when there isn't even a figure for said numbers.

  7. #13887
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswen View Post
    I expect lots of rage here and in other places when Blood Elves will inevitably get blue eyes as new customizations.
    It *will* feel like a slap in Alliance players faces and I don't approve it but it seems inevitable at this point.

    I'm also pretty sure, however, that Void Elves will see Alleria-like skins available at some point in the future as a final compromise but with things like Wildhammer dwarves, Sand Trolls etc being baked in as simple customizations I cannot see any future for High Elves as their own race/allied race, if there ever was one to begin with.
    No one is justified to feel that they're getting a 'slap in the face' over giving a playable race in the game now a new customization.
    Also....really don't believe you're giving helfers a fair shake by assuming they're immature enough to be raging over what Blood Elves get.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Hawk View Post
    Except that argument is detrimental to the thread, since it's giving importance to things that don't actually have it in regards to the matter at hand.
    Like it or not, Void Elves are part of the discussion of High Elves.

  8. #13888
    Quote Originally Posted by Starla View Post

    Like it or not, Void Elves are part of the discussion of High Elves.
    Only because anti-HE brings them here. They have zero reason to be evoked, because they are a different flavor of High Elves, like Ion Said. And if he had been correct, he should have said that they are a different flavor of Thalassian Elves.

    And they are one which has never been requested, and I suspect that their success come neither from their lore nor powers, but because a lot of people somehow either ended with one as a main whitout it being intended and don't want to spit a lot of money just for a race change, or because they RP them as High Elves.

    But beyond those points, the Void Elves have no bearing on a High Elven discussion beyond perhaps facilitating their addition to the roster of playable Alliance races, now that the Thalassian model is in the Alliance. And if Blizzard was a little intelligent, they could use the skin of a different skeleton, with differing emotes, stances, etc. and it'd be easier to differentiate a HE from a BE than a VE from a BE.

  9. #13889
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Hawk View Post
    Except that argument is detrimental to the thread, since it's giving importance to things that don't actually have it in regards to the matter at hand.
    I doubt 4 posts each, a page if you like would do anything to this thread. You don't suddenly stop responding to people either, but there is nothing wrong in doing that when you know you are correct about something. And this is a High Elf megathread, we have discussed everything from Night Elves to Gnomes here, some Void elf vs High Elf discussion is something within this thread's relevancy. And very much so.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    Only because anti-HE brings them here. They have zero reason to be evoked, because they are a different flavor of High Elves, like Ion Said. And if he had been correct, he should have said that they are a different flavor of Thalassian Elves.

    And they are one which has never been requested, and I suspect that their success come neither from their lore nor powers, but because a lot of people somehow either ended with one as a main whitout it being intended and don't want to spit a lot of money just for a race change, or because they RP them as High Elves.

    But beyond those points, the Void Elves have no bearing on a High Elven discussion beyond perhaps facilitating their addition to the roster of playable Alliance races, now that the Thalassian model is in the Alliance. And if Blizzard was a little intelligent, they could use the skin of a different skeleton, with differing emotes, stances, etc. and it'd be easier to differentiate a HE from a BE than a VE from a BE.
    I am not anti High Elf, but if you can't see that Void Elves got everything to do with High Elves you are in the wrong thread.

  10. #13890
    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    And if Blizzard was a little intelligent, they could use the skin of a different skeleton, with differing emotes, stances, etc. and it'd be easier to differentiate a HE from a BE than a VE from a BE.
    I am curious. How would they be easier to differentiate? How do you make two members of the same race, but calling themselves different names, look different enough that they would be easier to tell apart then void elves / blood elves?

    Interestingly enough, if you watch the sunwell, patch 2.4 trailerYou hear all about how they just changed their name to blood elves. You even see their original blue eyes. So you see that they are 1 in the same. So how would you really make them different to the point that at first glance, they look like 2 different races while actually being the same race?
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

  11. #13891
    Bloodsail Admiral Aldo Hawk's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Silvermoon.
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I am curious. How would they be easier to differentiate? How do you make two members of the same race, but calling themselves different names, look different enough that they would be easier to tell apart then void elves / blood elves?
    use the skin of a different skeleton, with differing emotes, stances, etc.

    Interestingly enough, if you watch the sunwell, patch 2.4 trailerYou hear all about how they just changed their name to blood elves. You even see their original blue eyes. So you see that they are 1 in the same. So how would you really make them different to the point that at first glance, they look like 2 different races while actually being the same race?
    Like Kul'tiran humans?

    I mean, Manariel even presented an idea that is not that drastic... A slight change on silhouette does wonders on differentiation. That is why you mistake Void elf and Blood elf players out in the world.

  12. #13892
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I am curious. How would they be easier to differentiate? How do you make two members of the same race, but calling themselves different names, look different enough that they would be easier to tell apart then void elves / blood elves?

    Interestingly enough, if you watch the sunwell, patch 2.4 trailerYou hear all about how they just changed their name to blood elves. You even see their original blue eyes. So you see that they are 1 in the same. So how would you really make them different to the point that at first glance, they look like 2 different races while actually being the same race?
    There is no reasonable lore friendly way to make them look different, imo.

  13. #13893
    I am Murloc! FlubberPuddy's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    On the frontline
    Posts
    5,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Starla View Post
    There is no reasonable lore friendly way to make them look different, imo.
    In a made up game with made up creatures and made up stories, it's unreasonable to say there's "no reasonable lore friendly way to make them look different", imo.

    As an example: Darkspear trolls are now going to get blood troll customization. The same blood trolls that still now are fierce enemies of the horde, and in shadowlands that's not changing.

    Because there will be no lore that explains why desert and blood trolls are now butt buddies with the Horde and Darkspear. It's just going to happen. Gameplay > Lore.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also @Thalassian Bob thank you. @Obelisk Kai keep thinking you can dictate what people can RP as or not. It just keeps looking more inane.

  14. #13894
    Bloodsail Admiral Aldo Hawk's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Silvermoon.
    Posts
    1,239
    High elves can always get customisation options that set them apart from Blood elves, it doesn't have to be too drastic of a change to make them be another thing and it would just have to be things that they don't share with Blood elves, period.

  15. #13895
    I am Murloc! KOUNTERPARTS's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)
    Posts
    5,542
    I'm glad to see the conversation of this "epic" thread -- which started with pro-HE people wanting and almost demanding playable HE's for the Alliance -- now having said pro-HE people compromising with HE customizations for Blood Elves instead.


    Which means they'd still have to play Horde... lmao.

  16. #13896
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I am curious. How would they be easier to differentiate? How do you make two members of the same race, but calling themselves different names, look different enough that they would be easier to tell apart then void elves / blood elves?

    Interestingly enough, if you watch the sunwell, patch 2.4 trailerYou hear all about how they just changed their name to blood elves. You even see their original blue eyes. So you see that they are 1 in the same. So how would you really make them different to the point that at first glance, they look like 2 different races while actually being the same race?
    Basically, i'd keep the High Elf skin, but remodel a whole different skeleton. So it'd be impossible to mistake the animations of a High Elf from the Blood Elf (unlike Void Elves who are a carbon copy of the Blood Elf skeleton), which would allow for a clear distinction, without the need of too drastic a resking. And even such a resking wouldn't bother me. High Elf already underwent one, from Vanilla to TBC, and the Zandalari got 3 and a half (Vanilla/Wrath;MoP + ToT and BfA) without necessitating any explanations. The fifteen years of a very different life of the High Elf could already be starting to show, especially if you join the Silver Covenant with the High vale elves.

  17. #13897
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Hawk View Post
    High elves can always get customisation options that set them apart from Blood elves, it doesn't have to be too drastic of a change to make them be another thing and it would just have to be things that they don't share with Blood elves, period.
    I don't necessarily disagree with this sentiment, but what kind of customization options would High Elves get that wouldn't (or shouldn't) also apply to Blood Elves?

  18. #13898
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I'm glad to see the conversation of this "epic" thread -- which started with pro-HE people wanting and almost demanding playable HE's for the Alliance -- now having said pro-HE people compromising with HE customizations for Blood Elves instead.


    Which means they'd still have to play Horde... lmao.
    Stop being a drama queen, no one is holding a knife to blizzards throat "demanding" high elves.

    People are simply requesting the current alliance high elves to be playable. The horde race you're refering to are blood elves so
    I don't see how there has to be any compromise over a race that's already there. But if it keeps people from throwing fits, I wouldn't mind seeing high elves receive altered models if they're ever made playable.
    Last edited by Grythletubs; 2019-12-09 at 04:25 PM.

  19. #13899
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Hawk View Post
    use the skin of a different skeleton, with differing emotes, stances, etc.


    Like Kul'tiran humans?

    I mean, Manariel even presented an idea that is not that drastic... A slight change on silhouette does wonders on differentiation. That is why you mistake Void elf and Blood elf players out in the world.
    The problem is though, would they want high elves that dont look like high elves? If so, void elves fill that role. As for mistaking them out in the world, haven't had that issue yet with void elves. Pandaren would be more likely to be mixed since they look the same regardless of faction
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

  20. #13900
    Dreadlord Hawkknight97's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Stormwind to other places.
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I'm glad to see the conversation of this "epic" thread -- which started with pro-HE people wanting and almost demanding playable HE's for the Alliance -- now having said pro-HE people compromising with HE customizations for Blood Elves instead.


    Which means they'd still have to play Horde... lmao.
    Like as if people wanted to be forced to play the Horde in terms of Forced Blood Elf Race.

    Yea ok. I hope High Elf Customization Options never happened to the Blood Elf Race. It would Lore breakly and damaging to the Blood Elf Race if you ask me since they are not Quel'dorei anymore. Besides people want High Elves such as the Highvale, Silver Covenant, and etc. Not the Void Elves or Blood Elves.

    In fact if the Void Elves were made more interesting like being more Alleria like than yea they can be High Elves. But they are not since they are more like Blue Blood Elves than Quel'dorei we seen from Warcraft 2 and 3.
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •