Quote Originally Posted by Talime View Post
    Yeah it is quite surprising that Blizz is currently trying to give Blood elves a more destinctive look and direction with golden eyes and stuff like that. Could be interpreted in some ways, but maybe to have them even more shifted away from potential High Elves.
    It could be many different things. For the purposes of this thread, I'll suggest possible reasons that relate to High Elves.

- Blizzard intends to release High Elves, so they are adding options to Blood Elves (new face geometry, new eye color) so the Horde can't cry bias.

- The work on High Elf models is being ported over to Blood Elves with new face geometry. They were building new eye color(s) for High Elves, so they made a new Blood Elf eye color while they were at it.

This is not a declaration that these things are true. These are just possibilities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Traycor View Post
    It could be many different things. For the purposes of this thread, I'll suggest possible reasons that relate to High Elves.

- Blizzard intends to release High Elves, so they are adding options to Blood Elves (new face geometry, new eye color) so the Horde can't cry bias.

- The work on High Elf models is being ported over to Blood Elves with new face geometry. They were building new eye color(s) for High Elves, so they made a new Blood Elf eye color while they were at it.

This is not a declaration that these things are true. These are just possibilities.
    That is what I am thinking aswell. It is noticeable that especially Blood Elves are receiving more and more changes and customizations. Blizz normally doesn't do this kind of stuff, except it is a byproduct from something else.

So I am quite certain this are some glimpses into the future.
    I mean we have had all these hints in the last few months, than we got the encouragement to specifically talk about high elves and give feedback. At this point it is just to much for it being a coincedence.

Deleted
    That is what I am thinking aswell. It is noticeable that especially Blood Elves are receiving more and more changes and customizations. Blizz normally doesn't do this kind of stuff, except it is a byproduct from something else.

I mean we have had all these hints in the last few months, than we got the encouragement to specifically talk about high elves and give feedback. At this point it is just to much for it being a coincedence.
    also don't forget the april fools joke (the one with everyone is an elf etc) . so maybe a new allied elf race is in the works and yes it was a joke but it won't be the first time blizz is teasing things through jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Jaikal21 View Post
    also don't forget the april fools joke (the one with everyone is an elf etc) . so maybe a new allied elf race is in the works and yes it was a joke but it won't be the first time blizz is teasing things through jokes
    This is what I posted on page 3 of this thread on March 9th:

They have designed things for the 1st before that are later actually used. I'd love to see an April 1st joke of High Elf designs to test the waters. That would be awesome! Great way to get feedback.

Deleted
    I didn't even think about that but you guys are right!

It could be a by product of Void Elves or future Void Elf customization options. I don't think Blizzard has decided what to do about high elves yet. They only blue-tagged the us-forum thread to get extra feedback a few days ago.

Several updates and major reworks in the OP:

Post YOUR design ideas! So far, the biggest roadblock to adding High Elves as an allied race seems to be their lack of distinction from Blood elves. This is a thread for brainstorming design options that could set them apart. I looked back at the Warcraft II concepts and in game characters, and here is what I came up with.

UPDATE: Over time, this developed into ideas that were not just for the Silver Covenant.

Customization Options

High Elves are, by their nature, fundamentalists/traditionalists. These older designs highlight the survivalist, nomadic lifestyle the Silver Covenant has been forced to adopt. Blood Elves are pampered, high society types that rely heavily on magic. By contrast, the High Elves would seem more "primitive" or back to basics. Plus, all these design changes fit right in with established lore, as seen in the examples.

Official Warcraft III Concept Art & Alleria Windrunner (Wacraft II era High Elf Ranger):
    These aren't the only updates, especially if you haven't seen it lately.

High Elf Class Options

Iconic Classes:

Mage

High Elves first trained the humans in magic, and the alliance between Dalaran and the High Elves remains strong to this day. This is perhaps the most iconic High Elf class available. It should be noted that Highvale elves no longer practice arcane magic.

Priest

High Elves and humans share the same religion. The close connection of High Elves to the Light has made their healing skills invaluable to the Alliance for many years and across many great wars.

Hunter (Ranger)

Archers and scouts. Many of these Rangers were sent to support the Alliance in the Second War. High Elves often look to Ranger-Generals for guidance and leadership.

Rogue (Ranger)

The stalker that fights with twin blades and leaps from the leafy shadows. These Rangers have been the advance scouts of the High Elves for many years. Their protection has prevented many losses and allowed the High Elves to stay one step ahead of threats to their people.

Appropriate Classes:

Paladin

High Elves were part of the alliance that created the first Azerothian Paladins. Their members joined the Order of the Silver hand before the Third War.

Warrior

High Elven swordsmen have protected their people with distinction for generations. Their traditions have been passed down to the High Elf exiles, bringing thousands of years of technique.

Monk

The calm and tranquility of the Pandarens was vital in helping the High Elf exiles deal with their lingering addiction. Today, High Elf monks are expected at every settlement to lead their people in meditation.

Proposed New Class:

Shaman

High Elves have never been shamans and we have no examples of this in lore. However, if a lore reason was given, such as training with Wildhammer shamans, it could be a possibility as something new. This would create an extra layer of distinction between High Elves and Blood Elves.

Unlikely Classes:

Druid

This theme is strongly 'Night Elf'. While it could certainly be appropriate for High Elves, and many High Elves have displayed limited nature magic in lore, it likely creates too much design/theme overlap with Night Elves.

Death Knight

The story of the Death Knights does not seem to work with High Elves and their particular themes. However, High Elves were killed by the Lich King in mass and would certainly qualify to be Death Knights. The real question would be if these Death Knights would join the Alliance or the Horde.

Prohibited Classes:

Demon Hunter

Much like the Blood Elves, Demon Hunters took on fel energies to gain their powers. This is the antithesis of who the High Elves are and what they stand for. The Demon Hunter class should be reserved for Blood Elves.

Warlock

We do have an example of a High Elf warlock that is a trainer in the Silver Covenant. However, it makes no sense that a spellcaster that practices fel magic is not a Blood Elf already. It also contradicts every theme of the High Elves. This one NPC trainer would be an exception that players could not duplicate.
    TLDR: Playable High Elves!
    Last edited by Traycor; 2018-04-20 at 08:34 PM.

Several updates and major reworks in the OP:

The aren't the only updates, especially if you haven't seen it lately.

TLDR: Playable High Elves!
    That looks great! Perhaps you could also add under the Demon Hunters, the main reason that High Elves can't be DHs is that the Elves that joined the Illidari were always Blood Elves, since those are the elves that came with Kael when he pledged his loyalty to Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by sammygm View Post
    That looks great! Perhaps you could also add under the Demon Hunters, the main reason that High Elves can't be DHs is that the Elves that joined the Illidari were always Blood Elves, since those are the elves that came with Kael when he pledged his loyalty to Illidan
    Great suggestion. Updated the OP.

Prohibited Classes:

Demon Hunter

Much like the Blood Elves, Demon Hunters took on fel energies to gain their powers. This is the antithesis of who the High Elves are and what they stand for. The Thallasian elves that joined the Illidari were all Blood Elves because they were followers of Kael'thas when he pledged his loyalty to Illidan.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    It could be a by product of Void Elves or future Void Elf customization options. I don't think Blizzard has decided what to do about high elves yet. They only blue-tagged the us-forum thread to get extra feedback a few days ago.
    It's also possible they already decided, so they are dropping hints and 'gathering feedback' to prime the pump for what they are already doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You bring up a good point though, we haven't talked much about High Elf racial abilities in a while. It would be great to see some more ideas for that.

Also, new Blood Elf faces in the Alpha. They seem to be doing a lot of updates to that elf model...

Probably because there are two races in game currently using it. You are reaching and without justification.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Probably because there are two races in game currently using it. You are reaching and without justification.
    Just fun speculation Kai. It's okay to have fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    I feel bad for Worgen/Goblin players. I know we'll see their updates at some point in this expansion, but it seems clear that Blizzard doesn't go by any adage of "we must update the oldest parts of the game before updating anything more recent" They clearly update things that align with their priority at the time so most likely something is going to occur revolving Elves of the Thalassian kind

Since we have yet to see the other existing races receive fixes/additions to character customizations. Blood Elves are the only ones sticking out This fix also probably helps with the new facial geometry doesn't it? I feel like it's more of an "under the hood" fix that they can apply to all Thalassian model variants

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    I feel bad for Worgen/Goblin players. I know we'll see their updates at some point in this expansion, but it seems clear that Blizzard doesn't go by any adage of "we must update the oldest parts of the game before updating anything more recent" They clearly update things that align with their priority at the time so most likely something is going to occur revolving Elves of the Thalassian kind

Since we have yet to see the other existing races receive fixes/additions to character customizations. Blood Elves are the only ones sticking out This fix also probably helps with the new facial geometry doesn't it? I feel like it's more of an "under the hood" fix that they can apply to all Thalassian model variants
    Agreed. I hope they announce lots of customization for all races, but it's highly suspicious that we're getting all these updates to Blood Elves first. Feels like change is in the air...

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally yes, but there is an atmosphere right now that anything, no matter how small, means they are secretly working on playable Alliance High Elves. You are very likely setting yourself up for a crushing disappointment come Blizzcon.

7+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. I hope they announce lots of customization for all races, but it's highly suspicious that we're getting all these updates to Blood Elves first. Feels like change is in the air...
    Definitely! I don't believe we'll see them very soon, but I hope Blizzard at least replies to that Forum Thread. Whether the answer becomes a no or yes, it's something that a lot of people are invested in so it should get answered at some point I feel. Whether at Blizzcon if someone brings up the High Elf threads and asks, or whether in an upcoming Allied Races Q&A or something. Did they ever do a specific Q&A for Allied Races only? I feel like they should

Quote Originally Posted by AndreiOptyck View Post
    Amazing! Totally support this.
    Thanks Andrei!

Also, here's an interesting story/relevance post from the official forums. I might add this to the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan
    In Vanilla, High Elves were quest givers and citizens in many zones around the world.

In TBC, High Elves of the Alliance Expedition, specifically Alleria's personal force, welcomed adventurers into Allerian Stronghold on Outland.

In WotLK, High Elves were front and center, representing the Alliance in Dalaran, through the Silver Covenant faction, and were again the Alliance representatives for the entire Argent Tournament. The Silver Covenant High Elves were THE Alliance's presence for all of WotLK, with our Kirin Tor and Argent Crusade going neutral.

In Cataclysm, High Elves' presence in the "old world" was updated, and they were more prominent than Vanilla, especially in the Hinterlands, defending Quel'danil from the Forsaken. Later, they joined the Blood Elf Farstriders in assaulting Zul'Aman in the "troll patch".

In MoP, High Elves had probably their biggest presence yet, as Vereesa, Jaina, and the Silver Covenant took 1/2 of the Alliance screentime for the entire expansion (other 1/2 goes to SI:7 and the Stormwind army). They were there for the bombing of Theramore. They commited the Purge of Dalaran. They assaulted the Isle of Thunder, and the Throne of Thunder, together with the Shado-Pan and the Blood Elves. They participated in the Siege of Orgrimmar, with Vereesa and Jaina even participating in a boss encounter.

In Legion, High Elves joined the various order halls, having roles in the mage and paladin ones, but especially the Hunter one, which Vereesa and the entire Silver Covenant joined. Later, Vereesa and her High Elves, together with their NE and BE cousins assaulted the gates of Suramar city, with High Elves being an equal force to the other two - enough for Elisande to lecture them just the same. Vereesa and Arator were later 2 of the -very few- lore characters to fly on the Vindicaar to Argus, where they were finally reunited with Alleria - the High Elves' greatest hero.

I want to play as a High Elf, because they are not only my favorite racial archetype in High Fantasy in general, but because in Warcraft in particular they are founders and staunch members of the Alliance, and through the years they have been so often represented, that they've eclipsed the majority of already playable races anyway.
    Source: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...217740?page=34

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Andrei!

Also, here's an interesting story/relevance post from the official forums. I might add this to the OP:

Source: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...217740?page=34
    Why did you emphasize the mistake? High Elves are not founders and staunch members of the Alliance. They were last in and first out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why did you emphasize the mistake? High Elves are not founders and staunch members of the Alliance. They were last in and first out.
    So when a larger government body makes a decision, the whole entirety of those governed have no disagreements about said decisions ever and everyone completely, undoubtedly, 100% agrees?

Just because Quel'thalas left the Alliance doesn't mean every single High Elf, how do you explain those High Elves that currently exist on Alliance and garner more spotlight for Alliance than other already playable Alliance races?

Try harder please, I love seeing all this

If you look at the source, it's bolded exactly as the original.

As for your point, that's debatable whether it's a "mistake". The alliance between High Elves and Humans was forged thousands of years ago in the timeline. Not all High Elves honored or respected that alliance, but the ones who did are the ones who are still Alliance High Elves today. And the High Elves of Dalaran would have been part of the founding of the human "Alliance" in it's current form. They are still High Elves and still loyal to the Alliance today.

Blood Elves abandoned ship, but the High Elves never did. They aren't the "first out" because they aren't out at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    So when a larger government body makes a decision, the whole entirety of those governed have no disagreements about said decisions ever and everyone completely, undoubtedly, 100% agrees?

Just because Quel'thalas left the Alliance doesn't mean every single High Elf, how do you explain those High Elves that currently exist on Alliance and garner more spotlight for Alliance than other already playable Alliance races?

Try harder please, I love seeing all this
    Obelisk is clearly referring to the events prior to the Blood Elf story.

If you look at the source, it's bolded exactly as the original.

As for your point, that's debatable whether it's a "mistake". The alliance between High Elves and Humans was forged thousands of years ago in the timeline. Not all High Elves honored or respected that alliance, but the ones who did are the ones who are still Alliance High Elves today. And the High Elves of Dalaran would have been part of the founding of the human "Alliance" in it's current form. They are still High Elves and still loyal to the Alliance today.

Blood Elves abandoned ship, but the High Elves never did. They aren't the "first out" because they aren't out at all.
    Then you really need to go learn your lore. The High Elves bailed on the Alliance before the Blood Elves were even a thing.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals