10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyersing View Post
    ...hear me out on this, boys and girls.

What if the reason Blizzard elected to go with Void Elves (and not High Elves) wasn't because they were too similar, but because they're planning on finally pulling the trigger on Blood Elves joining the Alliance?

This solves all issues of nuance in a single stroke.
    Honestly. I suspect they DO have HE plans but doubt this..

I DO however kind of wonder of they are going to remove the faction wall period given this expansion is supposrd to wrap up the faction wars or somesuch(very old thing about bfa)

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post

I DO however kind of wonder of they are going to remove the faction wall period given this expansion is supposrd to wrap up the faction wars or somesuch(very old thing about bfa)
    It was Alex Afrasiabi who said something to the effect of, "we wanted to give the faction conflict one last hurrah". Not exactly concrete evidence of any directives on their part, but maybe.

7+ Year Old Account
    I love how much discussion this has all sparked and with more new info coming in BfA there's still more to be discussed lol

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its an endless discussion with no real outcome that will please the high elf fans. Its cute they continue just to keep this thread.. they should just close this, I mean if you look at the last couple pages you only see the pandaren argument or void elf one. There is nothing to discuss realy.

10+ Year Old Account

They don't have HE plans, if by high elves you mean Alliance high elves becoming playable.

They bluntly told you they have no HE plans.

Saying 'I think they have HE plans' after they bluntly tell you they don't isn't even grasping at straws. There is no straw to grasp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Its an endless discussion with no real outcome that will please the high elf fans. Its cute they continue just to keep this thread.. they should just close this, I mean if you look at the last couple pages you only see the pandaren argument or void elf one. There is nothing to discuss realy.
    I suspect this thread is kept open for one reason only, to contain this never ending discussion. Prior to it's existence there were multiple pro High Elf threads as everyone and their mother came up with some new angle they felt justified another new thread, yet it always rapidly devolved back into the same topic and arguments.

By keeping this megathread open, the moderators probably think they are sparing the rest of the forums from being overwhelmed by countless High Elf threads. The moderators on the official forums took a similar stance as well recently and they now actively lock or delete High Elf topics outside of one main one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fyersing View Post
    It was Alex Afrasiabi who said something to the effect of, "we wanted to give the faction conflict one last hurrah". Not exactly concrete evidence of any directives on their part, but maybe.
    Source please, because I have never heard that said.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2018-05-18 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post

Source please, because I have never heard that said.
    Maybe referring to this:

https://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-ans...e-for-azeroth/

PC Gamer: For a long time the conflict between the Alliance and the Horde has been ignored in favor of dealing with external threats, like the Burning Legion. Why is now the right time to respark the animosity that started it all?

Alex Afrasiabi: We feel the Alliance-Horde divide is foundational and fundamental to World of Warcraft as a franchise and as a story, but we danced around it for a very long time. We've had run-ins, we've had close calls, but we've never been able to finish it—to have that resolution. We're coming out of this expansion, Legion, and the world is not in a great place—the players and the factions themselves are not in a great place because there is all of this old animosity that hasn't been resolved. It's time to resolve it.

As these battles begin to play out, what are the consequences for one side or the other?

Ion Hazzikostas: We are willing to permanently change the world where it makes sense and where it helps push that story forward. Actions need to have consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    The possibility of a resolution exists, but this is far from saying BFA is the 'last hurrah' for the faction war. The conflict could easily persist in the same or a new configuration once the plot of BFA plays out.

After all, BFA is the second Horde-Alliance War in the lifetime of WoW and the last one didn't end the conflict either.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    That makes sense from a character perspective, sure. Not so much from a franchise one. My interpretation would be that after a long period of relative peace, Sylvanas and Anduin feel that it's necessary to seek that resolution directly. Afrasiabi almost always describes character motivations in terms of when they make their choices. "It's time to resolve it" makes sense in the moment that Sylvanas and Anduin decide on total war, but that does not mean that they will achieve their goals.

Instead, Afrasiabi explains that the Alliance-Horde conflict is the foundation of World of Warcraft (I think there are some posters in this thread who should take note of that) and that it hasn't been approached directly for a long time. Rather than ending that conflict, it gives them an opportunity to focus on it, and give it further development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    That makes sense from a character perspective, sure. Not so much from a franchise one. My interpretation would be that after a long period of relative peace, Sylvanas and Anduin feel that it's necessary to seek that resolution directly. Afrasiabi almost always describes character motivations in terms of when they make their choices. "It's time to resolve it" makes sense in the moment that Sylvanas and Anduin decide on total war, but that does not mean that they will achieve their goals.

Instead, Afrasiabi explains that the Alliance-Horde conflict is the foundation of World of Warcraft (I think there are some posters in this thread who should take note of that) and that it hasn't been approached directly for a long time. Rather than ending that conflict, it gives them an opportunity to focus on it, and give it further development.
    Absolutely.

I have no doubt that after Battle for Azeroth the faction conflict will fade away again, particularly if we are launched headlong into a struggle against the Old Gods and their Void Lord masters.

But the conflict between the Alliance and the Horde is the pillar upon which the game is built, the foundation stone. The conflict may blow hot or it may blow cold, but it will always be with us in one form or another.

There are many fictional factions in videogaming, but none are as iconic as the brands of the Alliance and Horde. Blizzard would have to be completely off their rocker to want to end that.

Or maybe they have a new direction they want to take this story that no longer suits the factions are they are now. They did say something about 'what does it matter who wins the war if there is nothing left'.

Could it be possible that going forwards, the Alliance and the Horde are too small of factions to make and sort of real difference? With the defeat of the Burning Legion, we could be heading off to greater or at least more interesting threats (The Void, the Light, whatever). What if we need to stand together, As the faction of Azeroth against everything else?

Oddly, in thinking of that I can see an odd outcome for the war. The Alliance surrendering in order to save the world. I could see Anduin doing that. And somehow I think that would upset Sylvanas.
    Last edited by Ithekro; 2018-05-18 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion Hazzikostas
    "We currently have no plans to makes High Elves playable..."
    And then this...

Honestly. I suspect they DO have HE plans...
    Genuine curiosity, what makes you suspect it?

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    The possibility of a resolution exists, but this is far from saying BFA is the 'last hurrah' for the faction war.
    "We've had run-ins, we've had close calls, but we've never been able to finish it—to have that resolution. [SNIP] It's time to resolve it."

If you look up the colloquialism "last hurrah", I'm sure you'll see the interpretation isn't far off from what was said.

So this thread has had me captivated for some time. I never browsed through it, just watched it getting bumped over and over again, and its the same situation over on official forums, so I take it there's a good chance some of the posters here and over there are same people.
    What really made me finally post here is the fact that I just don't understand the reason why it is such a hot topic. There are many races (some of them even elves, like San'layn) that I'd like to see added.

But I just can't comprehend how people can argue about the fact that high elves are same model, practically same people as blood elves, except for eye color. How is it that in 310 pages and counting people can't get over the fact that they are not unique enough to be added? And I'm not even going to mention what some game developer said, although his response was pretty straightforward and hardly leaves room for hope about this race introduction. Can someone please kindly explain to me this phenomenon of rejecting the obvious reasons for why this race is not going to be added and keep on discussing the possible ways it can be?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    But I just can't comprehend how people can argue about the fact that high elves are same model, practically same people as blood elves, except for eye color. How is it that in 310 pages and counting people can't get over the fact that they are not unique enough to be added? And I'm not even going to mention what some game developer said, although his response was pretty straightforward and hardly leaves room for hope about this race introduction. Can someone please kindly explain to me this phenomenon of rejecting the obvious reasons for why this race is not going to be added and keep on discussing the possible ways it can be?
    They don't need to be unique, just consistent with established lore. Not like the Highmountains are any unique either, when the only difference is their horns.
    And what that fool of a dev said just goes to show his ignorance on the matter. He has lost all credibility.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    They don't need to be unique, just consistent with established lore. Not like the Highmountains are any unique either, when the only difference is their horns.
    And what that fool of a dev said just goes to show his ignorance on the matter. He has lost all credibility.
    Just because you are upset with the developer not taking your side, doesn't mean he is a fool, nor is his credibility lost because he isn't catering to a minority who can't get over burning crusade.

Also you're using highmountain not so different argument, when their parent race is on the same faction, it doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Y'all, this thread started with some awesome potential to discuss things that could make High Elves stand out and worth it as an allied race. The OP has so many cool ideas in it, and there was clearly a lot of effort put into it. While we're not saying this has to be a "pro high elf" only thread, coming into here just to say "it's never happening" and stomp all over each other isn't okay.

It doesn't matter if the devs hypothetically do say that it will never happen. People are still allowed to speculate and have fun with ideas. A lot of you seem to only post in here to destroy that and rile others up, and that needs to stop.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    Pro Helfers: "We want Silver Covenant High Elves!'
    Anti Helfers: "Aren't those just blood elves with blue eyes?"
    Devs : "If you want fair haired, light skinned elves the horde is waiting for you."
    *points to this topic*

Also, your anti-helfer statement isn't something that just an Anti-Helfer would say. It is anyone not Pro-Helfer could ask such a question.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2018-05-19 at 12:54 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    It doesn't matter if the devs hypothetically do say that it will never happen.
    ?????????

I don't follow. What about this is hypothetical?

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    I mean it's pretty fucken obvious they just want to shit on others discussing something they don't like and/or hoping for it to not be talked about so they can continue their pompous gloating. Otherwise why else go into a thread specifically made for discussion of one thing and keep trying to say stuff such as, "it's never happening get over it" "this thread still exists why?" etc etc.

Speaking only for myself, I keep visiting these threads to lurk and browse occasionally because I'm kind of fascinated in the psychological aspect of when or how the 'diehards' will start to relax and see the writing on the wall.

I once heard a story (I dunno if its true), that to catch a raccoon, you have to put a cookie in a box with a little hole in the side. That the raccoon would reach into the hole to grab the cookie, but then with the cookie in its hand wouldn't be able to pull his hand out of the hole again, and would refuse to let go of the damn cookie.

Over the course of several anti-threads on GD, I've seen many discussion points against helves, ranging from blunt, to compassionate, to rational, to the elaborate. And though there have been many supporters who were more able to listen then others, there were others that simply couldn't let go of the cookie, no matter what the cost.

Somehow in a grand sense there are some who have radicalized themselves in this fandom. Its a product of the close community mostly breathing its own air and the huge emotional investment that was put into it. And this means that even more energy goes into protecting those same ideas and their 'cause'. This has led to people trying to make it about factions, too--even though both sides of this 'debate' have been blended factions from the beginning.

So I come back every now and again, to see if some familiar faces realize the facts enough to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    That doesn't follow. Just because they haven't given High Elves and gave Void Elves doesn't mean they are opposed in all instances to ever give High Elves to the Alliance. Again, the Devs don't support either extreme.

Pro Helfers: High Elves are coming!
    Anti Helfers: High Elves will not be playable.
    Devs: High Elves not playable now and maybe never.

Anti-Helfers need to realize that their stance isn't the Devs and isn't supported by the Devs.

You must have not read a lot of the discussion on this. It was more like this:

Pro Helfers: "We want Silver Covenant High Elves!'
    Anti Helfers: "Aren't those just blood elves with blue eyes?"
    Devs : "If you want fair haired, light skinned elves the horde is waiting for you."

(Edit: This post was accidently deleted when I was messing with it; this is it recreated. It was originally a few posts above.)
    Last edited by Asotcha; 2018-05-19 at 01:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    ?????????

I don't follow. What about this is hypothetical?
    The Devs never stated point blank it isn't happening. They merely stated their reasons why it isn't happening now. Anything beyond that is pure speculation on what the devs stated based on how your view what they said, hence hypothetical.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code