Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    The two guys with void elves avatars playing denial game of "void elves aren't an asspull" are hilarious.

You can deny it all you want, the perspective of majority (and the actual truth) won't change because of that. Void elves are a lame excuse of a race that was only added to give alliance "high elves" without copying blood elves outright.

They are popular because they are eye candies, not because average void elf player cares about their garbage story.
    Aside from the fact that you can't prove it's the perspective of the "majority", since 5 people around here don't make "the majority", it doesn't matter. The masses can think whatever they want, it doesn't make it truth.

Blizzard writes this game, not you nor this mythical "majority" you speak of. Never forget that.

Void elves were added because they are objectively the race with the most potential at a time when the main storyline is turning towards the conflict between Light and Void. It's that simple. Helfers had nothing to do with it. And you don't know why the majority plays them. You don't speak for anyone but yourself. Your conspiracy theories are not evidence. They remain baseless assumptions, nothing more.

"Asspull" is just another buzzword people on this forum heard on the internet (since they never go outside, they couldn't have heard it in the streets). It's no different than "Mary Sue" or "Retcon". Just another buzzword people around here use to make themselves look cool, while not even knowing what it means.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-12-31 at 12:53 PM.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Aside from the fact that you can't prove it's the perspective of the "majority", since 5 people around here don't make "the majority", it doesn't matter. The masses can think whatever they want, it doesn't make it truth.

Blizzard writes this game, not you nor this mythical "majority" you speak of. Never forget that.

Void elves were added because they are objectively the race with the most potential at a time when the main storyline is turning towards the conflict between Light and Void. It's that simple. Helfers had nothing to do with it. And you don't know why the majority plays them. You don't speak for anyone but yourself. Your conspiracy theories are not evidence. They remain baseless assumptions, nothing more.

"Asspull" is just another buzzword people on this forum heard on the internet (since they never go outside, they couldn't have heard it in the streets). It's no different than "Mary Sue" or "Retcon". Just another buzzword people around here use to make themselves look cool, while not even knowing what it means.
    Denial continues. Point proven.

Denial continues. Point proven.
    Yeah, you definitely remind me of the masked crying wojak meme.

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Yeah, you definitely remind me of the masked crying wojak meme.
    And you remind me of flat earthers. Same mentality.

And you remind me of flat earthers. Same mentality.
    You're the one with conspiracy theories so if anything it's the opposite.

Don't worry, you'll find many who think like you in this forum. A lot of people here are utterly out of touch with reality.

You're the one with conspiracy theories so if anything it's the opposite.

Don't worry, you'll find many who think like you in this forum. A lot of people here are utterly out of touch with reality.
    And you are the one who can't accept the truth just like the flat earthers and is oblivious to the facts, again, just like the flat earthers.

I get it, you are on a campaign to change people's opinion on your favourite race, but you are making pretty horrible job. You can deny that void elves are asspull race all you want, but that's the truth and you can't change it with being obnoxious and cringy.

And you are the one who can't accept the truth just like the flat earthers and is oblivious to the facts, again, just like the flat earthers.

I get it, you are on a campaign to change people's opinion on your favourite race, but you are making pretty horrible job. You can deny that void elves are asspull race all you want, but that's the truth and you can't change it with being obnoxious and cringy.
    Formulate a list of those "facts", I'd like to see you try. Oh what am I saying, of course you won't. No one has ever been able to in the 3 years that Void elves have been around.

I don't want to change anyone's opinion, and I've always been very blunt about this. You can believe whatever you want. It doesn't make it right. Why would I change your opinion? You're not Blizzard, you're not writing this game, you're not important in any way to me. So again why should I try to change your opinion?

As I said before, Blizzard writes this game, not you. Sorry.

Formulate a list of those "facts", I'd like to see you try. Oh what am I saying, of course you won't. No one has ever been able to in the 3 years that Void elves have been around.

I don't want to change anyone's opinion, and I've always been very blunt about this. You can believe whatever you want. It doesn't make it right. Why would I change your opinion? You're not Blizzard, you're not writing this game, you're not important in any way to me. So again why should I try to change your opinion?

As I said before, Blizzard writes this game, not you. Sorry.
    Still in denial, I see. Keep trying to change community perception on your beloved asspull race though, we will have a laugh seeing you try.

Still in denial, I see. Keep trying to change community perception on your beloved asspull race though, we will have a laugh seeing you try.
    You couldn't explain how they are an "asspull", what happened to all that bravado? Pff, you're just like the rest. All you people can do is throw around buzzwords like "asspull", but when it comes to actually proving it, you chicken out.

I'm glad that you and your imaginary friends laugh at me, at least you are coping with the fact that I have Blizzard's support on my side, while you do not.

Maybe in 2021 one of you will finally be able to formulate a list of "arguments" as to why they are an "asspull", but I wouldn't bet on it. Until then, have a happy new year.

Void Elves are considered an "asspull" by some because they were literally made up on the spot. And unlike every other allied race, Void Elves had no foundation laid prior to their introduction. They literally don't exist until you do the unlock scenario, whereas every other allied race had some sort of presence prior to unlock.

• High Mountain - Entire zone full of quests devoted to them. We had time to get to know them, interact with them, and build a relationship with them. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock made sense in relation to the race.
    • Nightborne - Entire zone full of quests devoted to them. We had time to get to know them, interact with them, and build a relationship with them. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock made sense in relation to the race.
    • Lightforged - While considerably less developed than High Mountain or Nightborne, the Lightforged existed and played a notable role in the attack on Argus and as the primary forces of the Army of the Light. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock made sense in relation to the race.
    • Dark Iron - They have existed since Vanilla where we braved the depths of Shadowforge City to "rescue" Moira, only to find out she was there willingly and that we had slain the father of her unborn child. Over further expansions we saw her join the Council of Three Hammers, tentatively bringing the Dark Iron into the Alliance. In BfA the Dark Iron became a playable option. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock was a generic Alliance military rep and the Dark Iron forces were shown as part of the military forces during BfA.
    • Mag'har - While not the original Mag'har from Outland, the Mag'har had the entire WoD entire expansion to establish themselves to players. The fact that they came with other orc clan customizations built in was an additional plus. Player's knew who the Mag'har were long before they were ever playable. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock was a generic Horde military rep and the Mag'har ofrces were shown as part of the military forces during BfA.
    • Kul Tiran - Kul Tiras has been an established Human kingdom in WoW for some time. While we knew going into BfA that they'd be playable, they still had an entire expansion devoted to showcasing who they were as a people before they were unlockable. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock made sense in relation to the race.
    • Zandalari - Zandalar has been an established Troll empire in WoW for some time. While we knew going into BfA that they'd be playable, they still had an entire expansion devoted to showcasing who they were as a people before they were unlockable. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock made sense in relation to the race.
    • Mechagnome - When people had asked for "mechagnomes" in the past they meant like the ones we encountered in WotLK ala Mimiron. The playuable Mechagnomes are unfortunately not that. With that said, they had about as much time to be established as the Lightforged had and so they weren't an "asspull" in the same way Void Elves were. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock made sense in relation to the race.
    • Vulpera - The Vulpera were brand new, but from get go players expected them to be playable. They still had an entire expansion devoted to showcasing who they were as a people before they were unlockable. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock made sense in relation to the race.

Now let's look at Void Elves:
    • Void Elves were a last minute decision based on the "rule of cool" after the devs became enamored over Alleria's void transformation cutscene. They had no establishment prior to their unlock scenario. The previously required rep to exalt for unlock made no sense in relation to the race. The Argussian Reach would have made sense for the Krokul, but have nothing to do with Void Elves. Alleria's story arc on Argus had nothing to do with Void Elves and offered nothing in regards to development or establishment of them as a future allied race.

The more organic choice would have been High Elves. The Silver Covenant has been around for years and played a part in aiding the Alliance in several expansion. They also had a presence in Legion during the attack on the Nighthold, making it the perfect time for them to become a playable allied race.

And even with the desire for differentiation from Blood Elves, the devs could have (and I feel should have), used the Silver Covenant forces in the Broken Isles as the original batch of Void Elves. Instead they made up a random group of Blood Elf exiles and had them join the Alliance, when it would have been a more organic choice to have the High Elves already allied with the Alliance, be the ones trapped and transformed. The fact that such an obvious choice escaped the devs notice only reinforces the fact that Void Elves were an "asspull" in many people's eyes. No effort whatsoever was made to prepare the way for Void Elves.

Had Void Elves actually been planned in advance and sourced from the Silver Covenant, Blizzard could have established some SC NPC's to play some notable roles during the events leading up to the Nighthold and going into Argus. The transformation could have happened on Argus and those NPC's would have been the first indication that Void Elves would be a thing. It would have established them before the unlock (and the unlock scenario would have been completely different), and there would have been an opportunity to associate them with the Argussian Reach rep so it made sense for them as an unlock pre-req.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2020-12-31 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    Void Elves are considered an "asspull" by some because they were literally made up on the spot. And unlike every other allied race, Void Elves had no foundation laid prior to their introduction. They literally don't exist until you do the unlock scenario, whereas every other allied race had some sort of presence prior to unlock.
    Wrong, Alleria Windrunner is the first Void elf and she appeared in Patch 7.3, long before BfA was even announced. Biologically, as a race, Void elves already existed before BfA.

That was the build-up.
    Void Elves were a last minute decision based on the "rule of cool" after the devs became enamored over Alleria's void transformation cutscene.
    Even then what would be the issue? Other races were introduced purely for "rule of cool" too. The Blood elves became playable literally because asian players wanted a pretty Horde race to play as (this is confirmed by an actual Blizzard developer on reddit).

The previously required rep to exalt for unlock made no sense in relation to the race.
    You can make the same argument for Dark Irons and Mag'har, whom are linked to generic Alliance/Horde factions.

Regardless thank you for taking your time to formulate some reasons as to why they are an "asspull", it's nice to know that someone around here is interesting in actually explaining their point of view.

Wrong, Alleria Windrunner is the first Void elf and she appeared in Patch 7.3, long before BfA was even announced. Biologically, as a race, Void elves already existed before BfA.

That was the build-up.

Even then what would be the issue? Other races were introduced purely for "rule of cool" too. The Blood elves became playable literally because asian players wanted a pretty Horde race to play as (this is confirmed by an actual Blizzard developer on reddit).

You can make the same argument for Dark Irons and Mag'har, whom are linked to generic Alliance/Horde factions.

Regardless thank you for taking your time to formulate some reasons as to why they are an "asspull", it's nice to know that someone around here is interesting in actually explaining their point of view.
    Alleria's story is not the foundation of the Void Elf allied race. Her story had nothing to do with the transformation of others into Void Elves, nor did she acquire her powers in the same way. Alleria's story is unique to her and is develop for her, not groundwork for the Void Elves as an allied race. There was no indication of the Void Elves we got as players until after the unlock scenario... unlike every other allied race.

The issue is, that far more time, effort , and preparation, went into laying groundwork for other allied races.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2020-12-31 at 08:42 PM.

Alleria's story is not the foundation of the Void Elf allied race. Her story had nothing to do with the transformation of others into Void Elves, nor did she acquire her powers in the same way. Alleria's story is unique to her and is develop for her, not groundwork for the Void Elves as an allied race. There was no indication of the Void Elves we got as players until after the unlock scenario... unlike every other allied race.
    As I said, you can find that such build-up was not sufficient, but regardless it was there and Blizzard even presents it as the background for the race. That's why on their official description it is said:

Many have sought to harness the corruptive magic of the Void. Most who tried have fallen into madness. Determined to use this power for the good of Azeroth, Alleria Windrunner is the first mortal to succeed at defying the shadow's whispers. Coming to the aid of a group of her kin who nearly gave in to the darkness, Alleria has vowed to train these Void elves to control the shadows within them and pledge their newfound powers to the Alliance.
    So the background that Blizzard developed for the race ties into the events of Mac'aree. There would be no Void elves if Alleria didn't defy the whispers for the first time on Mac'aree, and found the resolve within her to aid others of her kind who were struggling with the shadows. That is build-up. That proves they are not an asspull. That proves they did not come out of nowhere. That proves Blizzard had a brilliant plan and executed it.

Also the fact that Alleria became a Void elf always implied that there was the possibility other of her kind could undergo a similar transformation, which is indeed what happened in the end. It was pretty clear that Alleria would share that power with others of her kind.

3+ Year Old Account
    Such a pointless argument you people are having. The High Elf customization options added to the Void Elves and Blood Elves are the final nail in the coffin for the High Elves to ever be made a unique playable race. I think they are an abomination from a storytelling perspective but I can accept that Void Elves are the High Elf playable race for the Alliance and the Blood Elves are the High Elf playable race for the Horde. Complain all you want about it but it's the truth.

As I said, you can find that such build-up was not sufficient, but regardless it was there and Blizzard even presents it as the background for the race. That's why on their official description it is said:

So the background that Blizzard developed for the race ties into the events of Mac'aree. There would be no Void elves if Alleria didn't defy the whispers for the first time on Mac'aree, and found the resolve within her to aid others of her kind who were struggling with the shadows. That is build-up. That proves they are not an asspull. That proves they did not come out of nowhere. That proves Blizzard had a brilliant plan and executed it.

Also the fact that Alleria became a Void elf always implied that there was the possibility other of her kind could undergo a similar transformation, which is indeed what happened in the end. It was pretty clear that Alleria would share that power with others of her kind.
    Their "build up" being insufficient is what makes people see Void Elves as an "asspull". You don't agree. That's fine.

I feel I need to make it clear that, I like Void Elves as a concept. As my avatar indicates, I play one myself. I just feel that their setup and introduction were done poorly and rushed. Sourcing them from Blood Elves added insult to injury for those asking for High Elves, when Blizzard could have sourced them from the Silver Covenant High Elves that were right there ready to be transformed and yet still provide the High Elf-stans the High Elves that never left the Alliance. Instead Blizzard gave the Alliance literal Blood Elves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    Such a pointless argument you people are having. The High Elf customization options added to the Void Elves and Blood Elves are the final nail in the coffin for the High Elves to ever be made a unique playable race. I think they are an abomination from a storytelling perspective but I can accept that Void Elves are the High Elf playable race for the Alliance and the Blood Elves are the High Elf playable race for the Horde. Complain all you want about it but it's the truth.
    I have to agree with you. Both the argument being pointless, and that the customization options basically address the call for Alliance High Elves, even if some holdouts will never stop asking for them as their own race.

What I feel Void Elves need now is lore added to the game to help establish the foundation for them that they didn't get in Legion or BfA. In-game lore that tells us why these Silvermoon Scholars and High Elf Wayfarers are joining the Ren'dorei, and how they are acquiring their powers, would go a long way to fleshing Void Elves out.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2020-12-31 at 08:59 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Their "build up" being insufficient is what makes people see Void Elves as an "asspull". You don't agree. That's fine.

I feel I need to make it clear that, I like Void Elves as a concept. As my avatar indicates, I play one myself. I just feel that their setup and introduction were done poorly and rushed. Sourcing them from Blood Elves added insult to injury for those asking for High Elves, when Blizzard could have sourced them from the Silver Covenant High Elves that were right there ready to be transformed and yet still provide the High Elf-stans the High Elves that never left the Alliance. Instead Blizzard gave the Alliance literal Blood Elves.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to agree with you. Both the argument being pointless, and that the customization options basically address the call for Alliance High Elves, even if some holdouts will never stop asking for them as their own race.

What I feel Void Elves need now is lore added to the game to help establish the foundation for them that they didn't get in Legion or BfA. In-game lore that tells us why these Silvermoon Scholars and High Elf Wayfarers are joining the Ren'dorei, and how they are acquiring their powers, would go a long way to fleshing Void Elves out.
    Agreed entirely. I think they could be cool if the writers do some more world-building but as it stands the race is rather bare bones. I mean, were they given anything in BFA? I wouldn't know considering I quit at the end of Legion.

If you people think the argument I started is "pointless", then start your own argument. Do you know what's actually pointless? Complaining about someone else while not doing anything yourself. You're like the people who constantly talk shit and never actually do anything themselves. Since you can clearly come up with a more entertaining topic, propose it and I'll be happy to participate.

- - - Updated - - -

An "asspull" is when there is no build-up, instead there was a build-up, and people ignore it, in spite of constant evidence from Blizzard themselves that the Void elves are tied to the developments on Mac'aree.

Meanwhile we have an entire expansion based on a stupid easter egg and a shop pet, and we have a Classic race that literally came from 2 lines in a manual and (if I recall correctly) one building in WC2.

But sure, Void elves are the "problem".

Agreed entirely. I think they could be cool if the writers do some more world-building but as it stands the race is rather bare bones. I mean, were they given anything in BFA? I wouldn't know considering I quit at the end of Legion.
    BfA made no strides towards fleshing out the Void Elf background. Blizzard peppered some Void Elf NPC's throughout the expansion zones as vendors, flight masters, and nameless NPC's meant to be killed or as friendly window dressing depending on your faction. There was an Island Expedition team of named Void Elves that the Horde had to fight. There was also, somehow magicked into being, dozens if not hundreds of throwaway void elves for the march across Nazmir where they all died. Even though we ultimately dealt with the void and old god corruption, the Void Elves were mysteriously absent.

Alleria spent the entire expansion on a boat doing nothing, though Magister Umbric did get a decent amount of screentime and personal development. We got to know him better but basically Alleria and Umbric are still the only Void Elves of any consequence, and no developmental progress was made for Void Elves as a people. Heck, the starting zone still has bugged out textures and terrain that are visible to players and allow them to get under the terrain. The High Elf Wayfarers are all still using Death Knight eyes and Blizzard has to bother to fix these issues years later.

With that said, the new customization options do give Void Elves the option to visually resemble High Elves to a degree, and that along with the High Elf Wayfarer NPC's does imply that some of the new Void Elf recruits were Alliance High Elves. Additional lore added to the game to reinforce this would be welcomed by many. We'll have to wait to see what sort of additonal customization is added to Void Elves down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think Void Elves are a problem. I just understand why many consider them an "asspull".
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2020-12-31 at 09:39 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    If you people think the argument I started is "pointless", then start your own argument. Do you know what's actually pointless? Complaining about someone else while not doing anything yourself. You're like the people who constantly talk shit and never actually do anything themselves. Since you can clearly come up with a more entertaining topic, propose it and I'll be happy to participate.

An "asspull" is when there is no build-up, instead there was a build-up, and people ignore it, in spite of constant evidence from Blizzard themselves that the Void elves are tied to the developments on Mac'aree.

Meanwhile we have an entire expansion based on a stupid easter egg and a shop pet, and we have a Classic race that literally came from 2 lines in a manual and (if I recall correctly) one building in WC2.

You seem to be unable to reconcile the fact that people have negative feelings towards the Void Elves because they seem like an "asspull," which whether or not you agree the sentiment is substantiated by the fact that there is hardly any lore to create interest. Since they were introduced at the end of Legion, we have learned nothing new about them. The lore that does exist for them, which thus far is only their origin, is lacking in consistency. Alleria consumed the power of L'ura and became a Void Elf. The Ren'dorei were transformed by the Ethereals. The newcomers are turned into Void Elves by... something. See the issue?

Also, what exactly was foreshadowing the Void Elves on Argus? Alleria's transformation is not foreshadowing, it's just her transforming to gain new powers

You seem to be unable to reconcile the fact that people have negative feelings towards the Void Elves because they seem like an "asspull," which whether or not you agree the sentiment is substantiated by the fact that there is hardly any lore to create interest. Since they were introduced at the end of Legion, we have learned nothing new about them. The lore that does exist for them, which thus far is only their origin, is lacking in consistency. Alleria consumed the power of L'ura and became a Void Elf. The Ren'dorei were transformed by the Ethereals. The newcomers are turned into Void Elves by... something. See the issue?

Also, what exactly was foreshadowing the Void Elves on Argus? Alleria's transformation is not foreshadowing, it's just her transforming to gain new powers
    Speak for yourself, thank you. Void elves have the most interesting lore potential out of any race, far more than any other allied race for certain.

Alleria's transformation is foreshadowing that other elves can be caught up in that transformation process too.