Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Yes, but Covenants are far more involved than racials are.. covenant system is what I have felt the racial system should be, but it isn't.

Covenants are a new artifact weapon/azerite power mechanism, but better rooted in the story, more involved.

This is fine to do, but because it is so integrated with power people are choosing covenants based on that to optimise their abilities, and ofc, it's not faction locked or anything.. it doesn't matter if everyone chooses Kyrian and no one chooses Necrolords, there are no imbalances that make the game fall apart, because it's not built on that..

Racials are intended to be minor adjustments and need to be balanced, because gameplay is involved. Boosting the alliance racials stupidly, will just break the game, won't change the fortunes or presentation of the alliance, and will force a walk back at some point.. not to mention the huge moans on the majority population. If Thunder thinks my suggestion would bring backlash, this one will bring a lot more. At least with mine, only the lore loving horde elf crowd MIGHT get upset, and that's a small percentage (undoubtedly some of them like Tanaria will, but others like me will take it in good stride). then the walk back will cause even more trouble, .. gameplay is the most sensitive thing in the game, the whole population is dedicated to this, whereas lore and ambience are the feel good measures that influence things, but you have much greater leeway with them because they don't affect gameplay.. that's why very few people quit the game because Teldrassil burned, if any, mess with the racials to solve this problem, you will cause havoc and admit to everyone you are incapable of solving a problem you created.
    What are we talking about here?

I started posting when I read people talking about increasing the numbers of alliance players because the factions are unbalanced in population. When talking about Horde / Alliance population imbalance, we are not talking about total numbers of players, because people who play Horde and Alliance at the population level are even.
    What is crazy is in the final content of the game where the best players are in the horde and where many alliance guilds to make the content migrated to the horde.

If what you are looking for is to balance the horde and alliance population in what is clearly unbalanced, which is in the end-game content, then the racials of the alliance have to be improved.

People who want to kill mythical bosses faster are not interested in the lore, they just want the best efficiency

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post
    EDIT: Now, it might be something small, but if interaction between Alleria and Tyrande is something you'd like, it's possible their could be something down the line. Now, this is all my personal opinion, but please look at the video link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2_MydRdrIw

Alleria is the only one who keeps looking at Tyrande. She only glances at Anduin when he speaks, but when Tyrande speaks again, she turns to look at her and her focus is on her, from then until she leaves. Now, it's probably for a variety of reasons, but their could be something in this, later on. I don't know (I'm not saying their is), but it might be something to keep in mind. Why would Blizzard have all the other characters turn back to look at Anduin, but Alleria's focus is on Tyrande?
    That's a nice catch, time will tell if it means anything.

Suffice to say that Alleria would feel sympathetic of Tyrande's plight, but I suppose she's too busy helping Turalyon rule Stormwind, so she can't follow Tyrande to Ardenweald.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

I think the whole thing of the Night Warrior is set a little different from the void, in terms of the initial damage it can do.

The Night Warrior's power can literally destroy the user, straight up and those around them. It's destructive in the immediate and in the initial practically of it. It's surprising that the Night Elves in Bashal'Aran weren't killed after Tyrande became the Night Warrior.
    The Void is far more subtle. The Void can corrupt from within. It has time to ensnare and destroy the user as well as those around them, but not before said user has gone on a destruction spree.

EDIT: Now, it might be something small, but if interaction between Alleria and Tyrande is something you'd like, it's possible their could be something down the line. Now, this is all my personal opinion, but please look at the video link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2_MydRdrIw

Alleria is the only one who keeps looking at Tyrande. She only glances at Anduin when he speaks, but when Tyrande speaks again, she turns to look at her and her focus is on her, from then until she leaves. Now, it's probably for a variety of reasons, but their could be something in this, later on. I don't know (I'm not saying their is), but it might be something to keep in mind. Why would Blizzard have all the other characters turn back to look at Anduin, but Alleria's focus is on Tyrande?
    TBH I think so far there has been a huge missed opportunity of direct interaction between Tyrande and Alleria (and Vereesa); after all, they are Sylvanas sisters, and to see that conversation would have been pretty cool. Specifically for Shadows Rising, it would have been great to see Alleria talk with Tyrande in the context of her hunt for Sylvanas.

There are so many parallels between then and the dark powers they wield, the dark side of cosmic energy that both represent; so much potential.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't that being tackled in the Shadowlands though? As somebody who begrudgingly did the Night Fae Covenant, it seems the whole "Night Warrior power" arc is going to be in Ardenweald with Ysera, Winter Queen, the two guys and Shandris. Either way, I don't think Tyrande will be going back to Azeroth, with the immense power she had, going into the Maw.

I think, personally, that in 10.0, with a restored Eldre'Thalas - Shen'dralar Highborne and Ren'dorei could work together to explore the powers of the Arcane, Void and Nether. Follow on from the discoveries that Wrathion made when he went to Eldre'Thalas and found the Shen'dralar Library in a mess, but with details containing the Void.
    Bob Evenshade and Magister Umbric could form a union.
    Specifically to this, the idea of having to split the Night Warrior power between many vessels gives me very exciting ideas about new class/race combos, or even specs or class.

It's cool, but I feel astral hair should go to the Night elves - you know - children of the stars et all - especially for Moon Priestesses, Highborne and Moonguard types, if they could add stars to it, then it would be cool..

For void elves, I would like hair like this..

That also looks really cool, I'd like it as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    What are we talking about here?

I started posting when I read people talking about increasing the numbers of alliance players because the factions are unbalanced in population. When talking about Horde / Alliance population imbalance, we are not talking about total numbers of players, because people who play Horde and Alliance at the population level are even.
    What is crazy is in the final content of the game where the best players are in the horde and where many alliance guilds to make the content migrated to the horde.

If what you are looking for is to balance the horde and alliance population in what is clearly unbalanced, which is in the end-game content, then the racials of the alliance have to be improved.

People who want to kill mythical bosses faster are not interested in the lore, they just want the best efficiency
    They tried to give Dwarves an OP racial. In 2 days it was nerfed to the ground. It is obvious the faction imbalance benefits them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleann View Post
    They tried to give Dwarves an OP racial. In 2 days it was nerfed to the ground. It is obvious the faction imbalance benefits them.
    what blizzard wants to do or not is a separate issue.

we are just theorizing what would be the best method to increase the population of the alliance.

and I think everyone will agree that the only way for pro players to play alliance is with better racials for the alliance

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'll have a hard time explaining to me why it should qualify for Nightborne but not Night elves. I can understand and agree with a case for Nightborne to have this in addition. I wouldn't complain if it was given ot Nightborne only, though I would comment that night elves should have this.

At the end of the day, it is the Night elves that are the Children of the Stars, it is the night elves that have both an arcane and priesthood legacy that revolve around the stars and moon, even their druids have a portion (the balance druids) that looks upwards, and their culture and identity is rooted in the stars above.

I don't see why this can't be part of a Highborne/Moonguard arcane wielding night elf range of customisations. Nightborne are children of the night, not stars, but as they are night elven based, I can understand why they can have this and you would not see me objecting to Nightborne receiving this.

You may have decided that the part of the night elves that the Nightborne present is dead on the night elf side, but may I remind you it is part of the Night elves and their lore - and it is the very thing the name of the race takes from, if anything, more should be done to hone in on this unique identity and show how it dominated their civilization and how it expresses itself in both the rural centred forest druidism as well as the priesthood and kaldorei identity.

When you start planning these things, and think, okay.. in the case of the night elves, and the disaster that happened, what would a group like the Hyjal survivors leave behind and continue...? We know for the 10k period that specific group didn't use arcane magic, nor recovered any of their civilizations or lifestyle, but dedicated themselves to their vigil calling. druids had a different calling, there's was to nature, if you were a night elf and druid you would have responsibilities to both and both were connected.

But what part of your identity would remain? The star culture must have many facets that transcend the need for civilization. Sure, during the pre-sundering era, many applications, expressions would have developed in urban areas, but there would have been rural areas too, with a different type of life a lot closer to the one lived by those in the Hyjal group during the long vigil.

You can also study the impact of people like the Shen'dralar who have not changed their ways at all, and the Darnassians they recruit to their caste, especially those old Highborne who stayed with the Hyjal group and only recently returned to their original identity, adn the effect this must mean.

Then you flesh out the component f this star culture on the 3 main levels, in a city life -which you will show in the new night elf city, reminiscent of the pre-sundering era, in the priesthood which would have components for urban areas that are temple based, and components for rural areas which involve more hunting and patrolling, and finally the forest culture of the druids..

off course s a person long interested in the night elves, you have to understand, that I would require depth, and I would be looking across the whole race. At the end of the day, because I like this race, I am not interested in it being Pidgeon holed to one thing only - i.e. they have that forest thing. When I look at Humans and orcs, they have a much wider diversity, and i see this variation in the original concept of the night elves that had arcane roots and civilization, priesthood and religion that touched both urban and rural, and nature reverence shown best in the druids, added to this were the anti hero demon hunters - together you had an acceptable wide range and variation for the night elves that fit the profile of a race that once dominated the globe.

To only present them as forest elves, is a NERF of epic proportions down from the original concept which was the best portions of the Dark elves and the forest elves combined. Now I don't mind that the Nightborne are wholly dark elf portion, but I totally object to the Night elves been cut into the forest-elf-only portion. The night elves should have forest elf, dark elf, fel elf altogether. They are not an allied race, and they are not small race. The existence of the Nightborne shouldn't erase the Highborne, the Moonguard and the arcane side of the night elves - anymore than the Zandalari should remove stuff from the Darkspears or the Highmountain should now mean Tauren hone in on only one feature of their race's culture, or because we have Lightforged, Draenei shouldn't have light focus, but drift to something.

It is exactly the same thing people feel that with the Nightborne around, all of a sudden the arcane acumen and actions of the blood elves have been replaced like they don't need them. This is wrong too, the blood elves should still be seen and shown to have and wield the arcane. Blizzard did the same thing to the Night elven priesthood when the Draenei arrived and were made a priestly race. All of a sudden, we stopped all development of the Order of Elune, and all things priesthood were shunted to the draenei, . The good thing is that blizzard didn't undo the previous lore, but for those who now start insisting that the Order of Elune is not a priesthood or doesn't have it's temple priest components because in WC3, we saw sentinels dominate should be smacked on the head. We have 3 volumes of WotA trilogy showing us a detailed glimpse of the established order in the hey day of the race, and we see how it operated in the long vigil in WC3. In WoW, the long vigil is over, and civilization has returned, with it a temple.. all those who like to pretend that night elves don't do cities and don't do arcane, are just ignoring the lore get night elves to be the parts they want the most, blatantly ignoring what is being said. More insidious than they are those on the horde elf club, that feel that all the magical arcane acumen, the wonder cities should be a horde thing now because the Nightborne went horde and try to argue that the identity of the night elves is wholly rooted in druidism and rural existence and cannot nor should it extend beyond that , also need to be smacked on the head. Those just want the nice stuff of the night elf lore to only be available to their faction, which isn't based on that identity. It is literally stealing the alliance identity, then turning back to alliance players who demand this part of their elves be shown, and telling them, no, it's horde now, because Nightborne are horde now, and because Nightborne are showing that part ... yeh, like somehow out of nowhere, only one race is allowed to show this facet, and because the night elf sub race was taken to the other faction, that entire part of their identity which is shared with their Nightborne sub-race should now all of a sudden only be locked to the horde and the Nightborne.

This is exactly what you are saying is it not Alanar? That Night elves shouldn't have that sort of hair, only Nightborne? Just like in previous threads you kept insisting Night elves should not live in cities only rural areas, and certainly not pre-sundering styles because that's Nightborne now - and night elves have abandoned that - no one told you the long vigil was over, did no one tell you why night elves went so long without cities and magic, and you missed the memo that both are back? If you understood why they stopped, and you followed the events, you would understand why they have cities and arcane users too. Am I wrong Alanar? Please correct me if I am, and if I am I apologise for mis-reading you.

The funny thing about those people who claim night elves abandoned magic and cities and therefore shouldn't have is funny because night elves in Wow have always had a city since classic, and we always had night elven priests and druids using arcane based spells and we met pure arcane wielding night elves in Dire Maul - all 3 have been in the game since classic. Not only that, the War of the Ancients Trilogy is a 3 page book that is entirely based in the civilization of the night elves. And explains what happens that causes us to meet the night elves the way they are in WC3, which also explains why the night elves rebuild cities again in wow and don't try to ban arcane magic either from that point out eventually lifting the restrictions on themselves and re-integrating other groups of night elves .

But that's always ignored.
    The point was and is pretty clear. Why would the nightborne share those things. They are pretty exclusive and already in game with the Nightborne as they are now a seperate race and have their own style.

Night elves had one of the most new options including highborne options. Its pretty clear arcane hands, hair, squinty eyes are a nightborne thing. Just wait when Nightborne get their round.

Once again you will never admit it, but this is just how it is.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2021-02-06 at 10:47 AM.

Sigh, the wait for 10.0 is so long.

I've already given up on Shadowlands storywise. None of its main protagonists and antagonists interest me in any way and I really can't get into the Covenants. They feel too alien.

I truly do hope that 10.0 will be about the Void, that way the Ren'dorei can finally go back into the spotlight, as it was in early BfA (Battle of Lordaeron/Zuldazar War Campaign).

To this day it is still criminal how the Ren'dorei weren't used in any way in patch 8.3. But then again, I strongly doubt that N'Zoth is truly dead.

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post

I've already given up on Shadowlands storywise. None of its main protagonists and antagonists interest me in any way and I really can't get into the Covenants. They feel too alien.

I truly do hope that 10.0 will be about the Void, that way the Ren'dorei can finally go back into the spotlight, as it was in early BfA (Battle of Lordaeron/Zuldazar War Campaign).

To this day it is still criminal how the Ren'dorei weren't used in any way in patch 8.3. But then again, I strongly doubt that N'Zoth is truly dead.
    The Shadowlands story arcs seem to be pointed towards the races that Blizzard like the most.

Them being:
    Humans
    Night Elves
    Blood Elves
    Orcs
    Forsaken

The other races are just here for the fun. I have a Level 60 Nightborne Warrior, who's a joy to play, but I doubt I'll get any Shal'dorei development in this expansion...unless we see Elisande's spirit in the Maw.

I think, for a Void expansion, it would be a good to have Ren'dorei and Shal'dorei be the Alliance and Horde commanding faces. Both races hold varying degrees of connections to Queen Azshara, who will also likely appear.

The Shadowlands story arcs seem to be pointed towards the races that Blizzard like the most.

Them being:
    Humans
    Night Elves
    Blood Elves
    Orcs
    Forsaken

The other races are just here for the fun. I have a Level 60 Nightborne Warrior, who's a joy to play, but I doubt I'll get any Shal'dorei development in this expansion...unless we see Elisande's spirit in the Maw.

I think, for a Void expansion, it would be a good to have Ren'dorei and Shal'dorei be the Alliance and Horde commanding faces. Both races hold varying degrees of connections to Queen Azshara, who will also likely appear.
    I kinda get that, but I think it's less race specific and more character specific, we really aren't delving specifically in a particular race, but more so on Lore characters -and of those, I think Tyrande's storyline is the one that most affects her race, cause like, we are getting a lot of Kael, but none of it is something that actually affects the BE as a race so far.

I am enjoying the Shadowlands a lot more than I thought I would in terms of lore and setting, much like I enjoyed Draenor during leveling, but now even at end game lol. I think I just like changing up the setting and stakes.

But yeah, beyond tangentially NE's, we aren't seeing any developments for the playable races, which seems by design, and even if so far I am okay with it, I would actually really like if by the expansion's end we get a more concrete view of the Horde and Alliance races.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I kinda get that, but I think it's less race specific and more character specific, we really aren't delving specifically in a particular race, but more so on Lore characters -and of those, I think Tyrande's storyline is the one that most affects her race, cause like, we are getting a lot of Kael, but none of it is something that actually affects the BE as a race so far.

I am enjoying the Shadowlands a lot more than I thought I would in terms of lore and setting, much like I enjoyed Draenor during leveling, but now even at end game lol. I think I just like changing up the setting and stakes.

But yeah, beyond tangentially NE's, we aren't seeing any developments for the playable races, which seems by design, and even if so far I am okay with it, I would actually really like if by the expansion's end we get a more concrete view of the Horde and Alliance races.
    I think it's like most first patches of an expansion - we don't get much in the way of other races until the core patches start rolling out.

As much as I don't like her, Roux and Blizzard have set the premise for Lor'themar and Kael'thas to meet, as well as potentially closing that circle on the Blood Elf lore.
    I do think we'll see more of the old faces that we love, coming into the Shadowlands, but 9.0 has just been about setting the tone of the new stuff.

Agreed. The Ren'dorei and Kaldorei have a natural affinity, making them great potential allies.

I really enjoyed the Umbric-Shandris alliance in the first half of BfA.

I predict Tyrande will be asking Alleria for counsel on how to control the Night Warrior powers. They both share the same plight. Great powers, Heavy price.
    I'd love to see that sort of detail... it's one of the first things I thought of, the priesthood of Elune wielding the void powers of the Ngiht warrior, which they have used before, to great affect, but a terrible price.. it's interesting, they never went insane like most people who wield void powers, nor did they become evil, but the power was overwhelming it killed.

It would have been nice if the void elves were used to play a role in Tyrande managing to stay alive with the power of the Night warrior, and Alleria was the one that befriended her - leading to Tyrande finding balance between star light and void .

I could only dream/wish,

- - - Updated - - -

Is that so? What a shame then.

I'd be really disappointed if Alleria and Tyrande never even interacted with each other. I don't know if the similarities were intentional, but Shandris literally mentions how the Night Warrior power might tear Tyrande apart from the inside.

Just like the whispers could destroy Alleria and the Ren'dorei from within.

Oh well at least Umbric and Shandris had a nice chemistry in BfA.
    It's a shame, it is an avenue they can pursue, but they still seem to very rarely consider other implications of some of those things they have set out.

it took 8 ears from cataclysm to finally see the worgen and the kaldorei do something together, and it's been 14 years since TBC and we still have yet to see the Draenei and the kaldorei do something since the kaldorei got them into the alliance and gave them some of their land to settle on.

But then not enough alliance fans interested in or rather loud enough on social media outlets to let blizzard know this is something that would be considered quite cool.. This is the price of being under written, your fans just don't have interest in much story progression, we seem to be the odd exception.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    The point was and is pretty clear. Why would the nightborne share those things. They are pretty exclusive and already in game with the Nightborne as they are now a seperate race and have their own style.

Night elves had one of the most new options including highborne options. Its pretty clear arcane hands, hair, squinty eyes are a nightborne thing. Just wait when Nightborne get their round.

Once again you will never admit it, but this is just how it is.
    Nothing to do with whether I'll admit anything or not.

Star themed options for night elves are part of the fantasy of the race, as is the arcane, and the Highborne - to therefore shunt every related customisation option or request and claim this should go to Nightborne not night elves, and then have a go at me for suggesting they could both have it as they have that connection in lore is really just trying to rile me up.

I see your point, but astral hair, relates to the stars, and as part of the night elf range, fits quite nicely there. Now I don't mind the Nightborne sharing that or having something else to appear more exclusive. Fact is, they are very much related, and the only aspect of the Nightborne that wouldn't be able to relate to some portion of the kaldorei would be their chronomancy magic and specific Nightwell alterations. If they developed abilities based clearly on the night in a deeper way than the kaldorei, I could by that, but I won't by access to star magic and features a staple of the kaldorei (children of the stars) since their introduction and reflected in every instance they've shown up (WC3 - name of the race, star and moon magic of the priests, WotA - littered with these references, WoW classic - druid moon and star spells, night elf priest star spells, city ruins showing astrological towers, racial emotes about the stars - "stars guide you" - and many more)

Nightborne having astral related stuff is because they have that strong kaldorei connection being the night elf sub-race, just is not some independent feature unique to them. Their city, their arcane acumen, their culture, their skin colour, their nocturnal nature and state, their all of that is kaldorei based. What isn't kaldorei based is arcwine, chronomancy, changes of the Nightwell (which the Arcan'dor is reversing anyway) , and their conjured armor

Isn't the alien nature of the Old Gods kind of part of their appeal? Why would the covenants be disinteresting compared to a similarly alien element?

On that topic, I would say they feel alien, but only in a Warcraft-friendly way. I could easily imagine the Shadowlands as they are in Warcraft III - I think it's a good return to form to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Isn't the alien nature of the Old Gods kind of part of their appeal? Why would the covenants be disinteresting compared to a similarly alien element?

On that topic, I would say they feel alien, but only in a Warcraft-friendly way. I could easily imagine the Shadowlands as they are in Warcraft III - I think it's a good return to form to some degree.
    Covenants feel alien compared to the Ren'dorei because they don't share the thematic Void connection.

Bastion is the antithesis of the Ren'dorei.
    Maldraxxus is too primitive and savage for the elegant and refined Ren'dorei.
    Ardenweald is too noble, innocent, and weak for the cunning Ren'dorei.
    Revendreth actually fits thematically via Kael'thas, but the people there are just too ugly to be associated with anything elven.

Which is why Revendreth is a no-brainer for any Void elf.

Hence why all Covenants feel alien, even Revendreth does really but at least Kael'thas is there. A problem I didn't have with BfA, where Magister Umbric served as a main follower during the War Campaign, so the Ren'dorei always had some anchor to the main storyline.

Covenants feel alien compared to the Ren'dorei because they don't share the thematic Void connection.

Bastion is the antithesis of the Ren'dorei.
    Maldraxxus is too primitive and savage for the elegant and refined Ren'dorei.
    Ardenweald is too noble, innocent, and weak for the cunning Ren'dorei.
    Revendreth actually fits thematically via Kael'thas, but the people there are just too ugly to be associated with anything elven.

Which is why Revendreth is a no-brainer for any Void elf.

Hence why all Covenants feel alien, even Revendreth does really but at least Kael'thas is there. A problem I didn't have with BfA, where Magister Umbric served as a main follower during the War Campaign, so the Ren'dorei always had some anchor to the main storyline.
    Why not Maldraxxus? It is not particularly primitive or savage - they seem to have fairly advanced military technology and I'd say most of the smartest people in the Shadowlands (I.E. The Primus, Kel'Thuzad) end up there. I'd say most Void Elves are far more fitting for the House of Rituals than anywhere else. If anything, Maldraxxus being all about ambition at any cost seems very much like something the Void Elves, especially Umbric or Alleria, would fit with.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Why not Maldraxxus? It is not particularly primitive or savage - they seem to have fairly advanced military technology and I'd say most of the smartest people in the Shadowlands (I.E. The Primus, Kel'Thuzad) end up there. I'd say most Void Elves are far more fitting for the House of Rituals than anywhere else. If anything, Maldraxxus being all about ambition at any cost seems very much like something the Void Elves, especially Umbric or Alleria, would fit with.
    Everything about Maldraxxus is green.

Everything about the Void elves is purple and blue.

That is why they do not fit.

With the exception of leather (which doesnt look good on any race IMO), I think void elves with the right hair and eye color choices can pull together a fairly cohesive look with the necrolord/maldraxxus stuff.

I wouldn't say color scheme is enough to abandon the whole relation. Lorewise, it's certainly a fitting choice because it focuses on people who are ambitious and, for the most part, unlimited in said ambitions.

It's too bone-y, the Ren'dorei are not connected thematically to bones, or egyptian architecture, or skulls, or skeletons, or undead, or war-like gladiatorial fights, or excessive brawns, etc.

Until there's a Void covenant, the Shadowlands will always feel alien to the Ren'dorei.

Thematic and aesthetic connections are the most important aspects. If we go by narrative alone, Bastion also fits the Ren'dorei since the Kyrians are strong-willed and devoted to their cause, yet do the Ren'dorei fit thematically and aesthetically in Bastion?

Do not answer, it's a rhetorical question.

Still talking about high elves? Didn't void elves and blood elves get their blue eyes?