Lets talk Mice (squeek)

Hello.

I am looking at purchasing a new Mouse to play WOW with.
    From what I understand I need a gaming mouse with programmable buttons & a need to look at the DPI..

I am a bit of a noob when buying mice, so I need some answers.. :

1, What is DPI & what should I be looking for in purchasing a mouse for WOW

2, Programmable buttons on a mouse. Does that mean I can program "Arcane Shot" for my hunter into my mouse.
    Similarly, can I program "Fists of Fury" for my monk into my mouse..
    Basically, what are programmable buttons in a mouse used for.

3, What the heck does, you can play game types FPS, RTS & MOBA with this mouse, mean ?

Any help would be appreciated.
    I do lots of PVP in WOW..so Im looking for an ideal mouse to gain a Battleground advantage.

The mouse below looks like something I might purchase.
    But cricky.. the DPI that & RGB this, just confuses me.

All dpi means is how fast the mouse cursor moves, i just leave mine out of the box (1600 dpi) for windows use and if you feel you need to slow down or quicken up your mouse cursor just raise or lower sensitivity in the game settings menu.

This is my recommendation for a mouse:
    https://www.amazon.com/Razer-RZ01-02...r+naga+trinity

You get the choice between 12 side buttons (WoW), two side buttons (shooter type games, overwatch etc) or the 6 button sideplate that is good for a variety of games like mobas or rpgs. It is expensive, but its very comfortable and has the best optical sensor you can get in a mouse, this is especially important because the old naga would not track correctly when lifting the mouse up.

I use the Corsair Sabre myself, and find it works well for me on WoW, but a lot of people have different preferences for mice. Some like a simple mouse with just two extra side buttons (if that) and some like mice with 12 on the side and another 2 extra up top. The best way to decide which is best for you is to go to a computer shop that has some on display and try them out in your hand. See if you can reach the buttons, identify what you're pressing without looking, and make sure it's comfortable in your grip.

As for what the terms mean, the DPI is the sensitivity. Basically it means you can adjust the mouse to move either a small or large amount from a small movement, so you can slow things down for fine precision, or speed things up so you can turn around in an instant with the flick of your wrist. Most mice with lighting (from the more expensive companies at least) will be programmable, so if lights don't bother you, you can turn them off (mine just has one light on for the DPI indicator). As for programmable buttons, it means that you can assign a keypress, or a combination of keypresses, to a single button on the mouse. Usually, the software will allow you to make different profiles for different games, and switch to that game's profile when it launches. In short, yes, you can have an ability in WoW bound to a mouse button if you wish, by assigning the ability to a key combo and then assigning that key combo to a mouse button, if you're assigning to a button that can't be directly assigned in game. For example, you could assign shift+alt+, to button 6 on the mouse, then assign shift+alt+, to a quickbar slot, which would then make mouse button 6 activate the skill on that quickbar slot.

As for the game types you can play, that comes down to personal preference really, as any mouse CAN really be used in any game type, some people just have a preference for certain types, such as having less extra buttons but more DPI control for first person shooters, or lots more buttons for MMORPGs where you have more skills to use. It all comes down to personal preference though, at the end of the day. You could ask a dozen people to recommend a mouse and possibly get a dozen different models recommended, even if all 12 people play the same game. Try out a few, find the one that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post
    Hello.

I am looking at purchasing a new Mouse to play WOW with.
    From what I understand I need a gaming mouse with programmable buttons & a need to look at the DPI..

I am a bit of a noob when buying mice, so I need some answers.. :

1, What is DPI & what should I be looking for in purchasing a mouse for WOW

2, Programmable buttons on a mouse. Does that mean I can program "Arcane Shot" for my hunter into my mouse.
    Similarly, can I program "Fists of Fury" for my monk into my mouse..
    Basically, what are programmable buttons in a mouse used for.

3, What the heck does, you can play game types FPS, RTS & MOBA with this mouse, mean ?

Any help would be appreciated.
    I do lots of PVP in WOW..so Im looking for an ideal mouse to gain a Battleground advantage.

The mouse below looks like something I might purchase.
    But cricky.. the DPI that & RGB this, just confuses me.

[IMG]https://www.mwave.com.au/images/400/AB83601_7.jpg[ /IMG]
    1. Dpi is pretty much an irrelevant stat at this point in time. If your intended mouse can do between 800 and 2400, anything else is a bonus. It literally stands for "dots per inch" as in, for every inch you move the mouse it moves your cursor x distance across the screen.

Above 2400 dpi, you'll find that even the smallest movement will spin your view 360 degrees, possibly multiple times. So ignore the "12000 Dpi!" rubbish.

2. Literally as you describe. I used to use the Logitech G600 for WoW because of the programmable buttons, back when having 100+ buttons/macros as a Hunter was a thing. You can bind them from keyboard buttons to complex combinations of buttons and modifiers.

3. This is so people know it's a mouse you can play games with. Just marketing spiel.

And RGB just makes your mouse light up like a glow in the dark dildo, so make sure to pick a flavour you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure to turn Mouse acceleration / Enhance pointer precision off for gaming. It will make you more accurate in the long run.

for wow i would just say get a 12 button mouse and bind all your abilities to it. how it works is you get the software and you tell what the keys are doing like default its 1 to = which is also the default in wow for your action buttons. then you put an ability on your action bar lets just say the 1 key. then you press the 1 key and it does that ability. what you can also do is go in the key bindings and look for extra action bar and assign lets say shift +1 through shift += and it will assign that to that bar.

if you need a big mouse i would suggest the logitech g600. if you like smaller mice you could get a naga chroma.
    i think the g600 goes for like 45$ and the chroma is like 55 ish.
    Last edited by Xecks; 2018-03-14 at 01:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should buy the Lexip 3DM-Pro, cause I hear it's awesome and stuff. Or a Logitech G600, that's good too.

DPI refers to the resolution of the camera pointing down on the underside of the optical mouse. That camera is using image tracking to tell where you're moving it. A higher DPI mouse means it's using higher resolution images to compare from point to point. That means the mouse is able to tell with much greater precision, where you're moving it. That's all it means.