Catching up with archaeology - what is the most optimal way?

I was away for basically 2 previous expansions, came back around 7.2...but I'm not writing a blog so let me get to the subject matter :P

This is what I still need from pre-Legion Archaeology:

MOP:
    3 mogu pristines

WOD:
    5 draenor clans pristines
    5 ogre pristines
    4 arakkoa pristines

I'm thinking what to do with restored artifacts, which one do you think is a better idea?

1. Buy arch fragments, if yes, which ones? The ones where I'm missing less pristines or the ones where I'm missing more?
    2. Buy the items that randomize digsites and use them in hopes of getting the races I want?

And an extra:

3. Is it possible that it would be faster to just farm Mantid digsites 24/7, crate the artifacts and buy fragments for WOD races with that? Sounds a bit absurd, but the speed at which I've been making those Mantid artifacts was just crazy to the point where it could actually work. Still, I think getting the actual digsites for those races done is faster and that's what I'm doing but curious to hear whether anyone else had thought of that.

Doing a bit every day. It can be extremely long grind. MOP pristines took me about 1350 solves. Aim for 20-30 solves pr. day, dont do more youll just burn out.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I'm pretty certain the Mantid way is the best way to get anything Archaeology related. It's just way more time efficient to do it that way, even if you're a mage-engineer with lots of (sometimes no-cd) teleports.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    I'm pretty certain the Mantid way is the best way to get anything Archaeology related. It's just way more time efficient to do it that way, even if you're a mage-engineer with lots of (sometimes no-cd) teleports.
    explain please
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Well, I'm pretty much done with Archaeology now except some Legion rare solves that I'm waiting for the proper rotation for. (And btw, it took me about 2 weeks after creating this thread, so pretty quickly, without grinding too much)

Again, it's nothing set in stone or meticulously calculated, but I'm pretty sure that Mantid is after all not the best way to do everything. Especially if you are multitasking and don't mind doing something else to take a break from archy.

Here's my reasoning:

When farming for draenor pristines with Mantid, one Mantid artifact just gives you like 5-10 fragments of a race you need. This means you need like 4-5 artifacts to finish let's say 1 Ogre. From what I've seen, there's just no way you will finish 4-5 Mantid artifacts faster than 1 Ogre. At least if you're patient about it, and you are using the shuffle item to just get the Ogre sites to spawn. And this is what you SHOULD be doing. Maybe you can get it slightly faster if you farm Mantid 24/7 for a week, but it's actually also doubtful.

The shuffle items have like 30 minutes CD. If you get unlucky, just wait these 30 mins out by doing something else, or even going away from the game (crazy I know). I love binge-ing various things, but when it comes to farming pristines, it's just way better to be patient, and use the shuffle items to only dig the digsites of races you are interested in.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2018-04-26 at 12:52 AM.

Mantid is the best because they have that item that lets you focus on only Mantid digsites for 24 hours. That knocks down the amount of travel you need to do to two zones. Also, their digsites are much smaller in circumference than the Pandaren and Mogu digsites so once you memorize the potential dig locations in a digsite, it's much quicker to complete. It was very useful to buy other races' fragment boxes with the accumulated restored artifacts I got from the Mantid sites.

Now that I only need Draenor items to fully complete my Archaeology achievement list, I'm using the Draenor Archaeologist's Map/Lodestone to get things done. I only need Draenor Clans and Arakkoa so I farm any that are up and when I finally get only Ogre digsites, I use the Map to randomize things again. Also, it's very useful to have a rank 3 Spirit Lodge so you can port to three different zones from your garrison.

Could also mention that its good to scout AH daylie for cheap keystones. People dumb them quite often and having key's always is good.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO