Thread: Driving woes

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Driving woes

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Last edited by Tyrannosaur; 2020-09-07 at 07:32 AM.

You're probably better because you're paying attention and taking it seriously.

My biggest gripe is people who drive slowly in the left lane. Even if they're going the speed limit, the law here states to move over if you're going slower than traffic.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    People that don’t completely stop at stop/red light signs.
    And especially when you should have the right-of-way.
    People who change lanes for no reason at all.
    And without signalling, of course.
    People who don’t signal and suddenly make a turn.
    Occasionally from the wrong lane.
    People who try to push their way past you/cut you off.
    And then slow down noticeably in front of you.
    People who tailgate you when you’re going the legal limit of the road.
    People who continue to tailgate you when you're going 15 mph over the limit.
    What are your annoyances when driving?
    People who don't know how to merge onto a highway, particularly those who attempt to enter 60-70 mph rush-hour traffic while going 40 mph and slowing down more on the approach.

Drivers whose natural inclination seems to be to tailgate at any speed, regardless of the speed you're driving, the posted limit, or weather conditions. I've come to accept that a lot of these folks aren't being consciously aggressive or trying to get me to speed up. They're just bad drivers who make a habit of following too closely for no particular reason. I could push the accelerator to the floor, and they'd just speed up with me.

I have only been driving for about a year so far, but i feel like my driving ability far exceeds the majority of people who are on the roads. I see so many people do the most stupidest things, when they don’t need to. Do people forget the basics the more they drive?

Here’s some of my gripes:

Maybe the DMV should mandate a driving brushup every 6 months or so.

Driving for about a year and beliving yourself to be a better driver than most? Yeah, you're the most dangerous type of driver out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Driving for about a year and beliving yourself to be a better driver than most? Yeah, you're the most dangerous type of driver out there.
    yeah and when they say about a year, 99% of the time means not even a year yet.

People who don't turn off their high beam when they're meeting you so you can't see shit. Fuck them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst it's human nature to think we're better than we really are, the fact the OP acknowledges these bad driving habits already puts them above the majority of drivers. The most dangerous kind of driver out there is completely oblivious to these things to begin with. You're being unreasonable. If you're going to try and call the OP - someone who is aware and clearly knows how to anticipate - as dangerous as some lunatic weaving in and out of lanes, then you've got a screw loose quite frankly.

On the contrary studies and anecdotal experience have revealed that people progressively become worse drivers, picking up bad habits as time goes by, the longer AFTER passing their test. A lot of young drivers have above average accident statistics in their first years but this is typically due to either overconfidence or the opposite, both leading to major errors in judgement. But a couple years after passing their test, people start to grow complacent, overconfident in their skills or their vehicle's capabilities, and regress into being a worse driver. Those standards they were taught gradually slip away as they pick up bad habits.

Now I can't speak for the American driver training and/or test, though I've heard it's RIDICULOUSLY easy and simply doesn't prepare people for the roads, but you guys seem to have disproportionately high rates of accidents - in particular rear-end collisions - and from the times I've driven on your side of the ocean I've been utterly shocked just how distracted most drivers are, be it on their phone, entertainment system, doing make-up, etc. From what I've heard you guys really need to tighten up your driver education because it sounds like a load of garbage from what I've been told by Americans.
    Last edited by Will; 2018-03-11 at 06:03 PM.

I have only been driving for about a year so far, but i feel like my driving ability far exceeds the majority of people who are on the roads. I see so many people do the most stupidest things, when they don’t need to. Do people forget the basics the more they drive?

Here’s some of my gripes:

Maybe the DMV should mandate a driving brushup every 6 months or so.

another important rule , always keep eye open for idiots drivers.

People who drive slower than the speed limit.
    People who drive slow/the speed limit in the left lane.
    People with complete shit cars. Loud, rusty, stink to ungodly heights. Living in a rural town I see this too damn often. Usually it's the trucks, which are more often than not lifted.
    People who pull out in front of you on the highway when you are going 65 and there is no one behind you, and they don't speed up fast enough (or at all).

There are a lot of stupid people out on the road, and not all of them are senior citizens. Still baffles me so much that there are so many collisions in the bigger cities, which is a whole new level of dumbass drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    3 things make driving (as the driver) hard.

1. Unfamiliar area (big one for me my direction sense blows)
    2. Being in a rush.
    3. Being distracted.

2 out of those three are in your hands as a driver. Only other factor that comes into play is fatigue. Nodding off while driving doesn't end well
    1. Sat Nav can definitely help here.
    2. Yeah being in a rush never helps.
    3. Shouldn't happen. If a passenger is distracting, tell them to shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Whilst it's human nature to think we're better than we really are, the fact the OP acknowledges these bad driving habits already puts them above the majority of drivers. The most dangerous kind of driver out there is completely oblivious to these things to begin with. You're being unreasonable.

On the contrary studies and anecdotal experience have revealed that people progressively become worse drivers, picking up bad habits as time goes by, the longer AFTER passing their test. A lot of young drivers have above average accident statistics in their first years but this is typically due to either overconfidence or the opposite, both leading to major errors in judgement. But a couple years after passing their test, people start to grow complacent, overconfident in their skills or their vehicle's capabilities, and regress into being a worse driver. Those standards they were taught gradually slip away as they pick up bad habits.

Now I can't speak for the American driver training and/or test, though I've heard it's RIDICULOUSLY easy and simply doesn't prepare people for the roads, but you guys seem to have disproportionately high rates of accidents - in particular rear-end collisions - and from the times I've driven on your side of the ocean I've been utterly shocked just how distracted most drivers are, be it on their phone, entertainment system, doing make-up, etc.
    No, statistically it's young, inexperienced drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, statistically it's young, inexperienced drivers.
    I didn't specify a starting point for this data; Indeed a lot of drivers improve in their first year or two of driving as they gain confidence and experience, but beyond a certain peak it starts to decline again. My statement was that driving standards generally decline over time, this is AFTER the peak. "On the contrary studies and anecdotal experience have revealed that people progressively become worse drivers" -- I made no mention of when this data point starts, so technically it's a true statement AFTER the point of peak.

In fact I even mentioned, I quote myself: " A lot of young drivers have above average accident statistics in their first years" so I DID mention your point. This is just a case of you not quite reading what I said properly and misunderstanding me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drivers that fit their stereotype. I lost count of how many times I've muttered, "Please don't be a..." as I've passed someone doing a thing, only for it to be...
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

People don't give a shit about other people. It really shows on the road.

I didn't specify a starting point for this data; Indeed a lot of drivers improve in their first year or two of driving as they gain confidence and experience, but beyond a certain peak it starts to decline again. My statement was that driving standards generally decline over time, this is AFTER the peak. "On the contrary studies and anecdotal experience have revealed that people progressively become worse drivers" -- I made no mention of when this data point starts, so technically it's a true statement AFTER the point of peak.

In fact I even mentioned, I quote myself: " A lot of young drivers have above average accident statistics in their first years" so I DID mention your point. This is just a case of you not quite reading what I said properly and misunderstanding me.
    Sure. But when a driver with about a years worth of expereince feels that their "driving ability far exceeds the majority", it's very, very unlikely that they actually are that much better and much more likely that they are actually part of the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    People who drive slower than the speed limit.
    People who drive slow/the speed limit in the left lane.
    People with complete shit cars. Loud, rusty, stink to ungodly heights. Living in a rural town I see this too damn often. Usually it's the trucks, which are more often than not lifted.
    People who pull out in front of you on the highway when you are going 65 and there is no one behind you, and they don't speed up fast enough (or at all).

There are a lot of stupid people out on the road, and not all of them are senior citizens. Still baffles me so much that there are so many collisions in the bigger cities, which is a whole new level of dumbass drivers.
    From a UK perspective:
    1. Driving below the speed limit is acceptable provided it isn't TOO slow. What is too slow? Depends on the situation and conditions, but it's a speed slow enough to present an obstacle and hazard to those around you. If someone's doing 25 in a 30 then it's acceptable even if it is irritating when there's too much traffic to overtake them That's why it's called a speed 'limit' and not 'target'.

2. Driving slowly in the overtaking lane when others are around is just dumb and I hate those people too.

3. Some people can't afford much better

4. If it's a double lane highway and the overtaking lane is empty I have no problem with this, you simply move over to help them join the carriageway. I've noticed on many videos, situations where someone gets mad at someone pulling into their lane when there is a perfectly empty lane to their left they can simply move into to 'help' the turning vehicle out. A large cultural difference between the UK and US is where our traffic is more co-operative in helping each other merge onto a fast road, people in the US generally seem less inclined to want to share space with each other, it's almost like "it's my lane, I shouldn't HAVE to move for you!" kind of attitude. If however the left lane is busy then yeah just merging on is a dickhead move as it forces you to brake with nowhere to go. I'm not referring to last-second pull-outs, of course, as that's clearly insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. But when a driver with about a years worth of expereince feels that their "driving ability far exceeds the majority", it's very, very unlikely that they actually are that much better and much more likely that they are actually part of the problem.
    I'm not denying that, and indeed the majority of drivers believe they're really skilled and good when they're deluding themselves. But at the very least the fact the OP acknowledged many common bad driving habits instantly tells me s/he is more 'clued in' and 'aware' than most of the autopilot morons you meet out on the road. Yet you tell the OP they're the "most dangerous type of driver out there"? Sorry but I think the more dangerous types are the ones who simply don't CARE. My dad for example is an awful driver and he's fully aware he cuts people up, tailgates, etc, and he does it on purpose to try and bully other road users to let him go by. Are you SERIOUSLY telling me the OP sounds more dangerous than that? Telling someone you don't even know that they're dangerous simply because they are implying they're better than most after a year's experience, is a bit unfair, no? You need hard evidence to accuse someone of being dangerous.
    Last edited by Will; 2018-03-11 at 06:22 PM.

4. If it's a double lane highway and the overtaking lane is empty I have no problem with this, you simply move over to help them join the carriageway. I've noticed on many videos, situations where someone gets mad at someone pulling into their lane when there is a perfectly empty lane to their left they can simply move into to 'help' the turning vehicle out. A large cultural difference between the UK and US is where our traffic is more co-operative in helping each other merge onto a fast road, people in the US generally seem less inclined to want to share space with each other, it's almost like "it's my lane, I shouldn't HAVE to move for you!" kind of attitude. If however the left lane is busy then yeah just merging on is a dickhead move as it forces you to brake with nowhere to go.
    If the highway is 4 lane (2 going each way), then I would have no problem. Unfortunately, the highway I drive to work each day (15-ish miles/24-ish km) is 2 lane (1 lane each way), so it annoys the everliving crap out of me, even more so if there are people coming the opposite way and I have to nearly slam on the brakes before I would hit into them. If the other lane is clear, I just swing around them, just slightly annoyed they couldn't wait a couple more seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    If the highway is 4 lane (2 going each way), then I would have no problem. Unfortunately, the highway I drive to work each day (15-ish miles/24-ish km) is 2 lane (1 lane each way), so it annoys the everliving crap out of me, even more so if there are people coming the opposite way and I have to nearly slam on the brakes before I would hit into them. If the other lane is clear, I just swing around them, just slightly annoyed they couldn't wait a couple more seconds.
    I fully agree with you, if it's 1 lane it's super annoying. The fact they are forcing you to brake hard is just shocking, disgusting. Hope you got a dash cam to catch this. I mean I don't mind people pulling out if they're quick enough to get up to speed without becoming an obstacle but the majority who do this seem to pull out and take a freaking year to get up to speed.

I don't know how OP drives so it's hard to know how to respond to his criticism. It could very likely be his driving that's creating these situations where he "sees bad drivers".

Remember the old adage, if you meet an asshole than you just met an asshole, if you meet a lot of assholes, you are the asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Old people who walk/jog on the street when there is a perfectly good sidewalk three feet from them that my taxes pay for.

Special snowflakes with OCD that park in the same spot at work with their vehicle facing outwards. Only annoying having to wait behind them during their morning OCD episode.