Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've said that multiple times, VA is a solid compromise lol? The OP never said he was going to be watching movies on his PC, in fact he said FPS games are his "bread and butter". For FPS TN is king, and the 24" model that i own is rated higher than the 27":
    https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2417dg/

Most important part of that review, its gaming prowess and responsiveness:
    Responsiveness in games and movies
    Where the frame rate kept pace with the 165Hz refresh rate (i.e. 165Hz) on BF1, the overall fluidity was excellent. The ‘connected feel’ as you interact with the game world was excellent, far superior to even the lowest latency 60Hz displays. The fact that the monitor was outputting 2.75 times as much visual information every second not only improved the ‘connected feeling’, but also greatly reduced perceived blur. This was obvious whether moving the mouse around and changing the character’s viewpoint, sprinting about or moving in a vehicle as the game world appeared more sharply focused. It was easier to track and engage ‘the bad guys’ as a result and for those sensitive to motion blur the experience was altogether less dizzying. With 165Hz/165fps, there was a slight advantage over even highly responsive 144Hz models (running at 144fps) such as the Dell S2716DG. This was true both in terms of the connected feel and level of perceived blur. The difference was only slight and much subtler than moving from 60Hz up to 100Hz or from 100Hz up to 144Hz. And indeed sensitivity to this varies, so not everybody will appreciate this quite as much as others anyway. One thing we feel may be more broadly appreciated is the complete lack of obvious overshoot, even during the transitions that troubled this model’s 27” counterpart. There was nothing more than the faintest hint during a small number of transitions, nothing eye-catching at all. Despite this, there was no noticeable conventional trailing either.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2018-03-12 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I've said that multiple times, VA is a solid compromise lol? The OP never said he was going to be watching movies on his PC, in fact he said FPS games are his "bread and butter". For FPS TN is king, and the 24" model that i own is rated higher than the 27":
    https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2417dg/

Most important part of that review, its gaming prowess and responsiveness:
    lol wut? A 24 inch 2560x1440..........way too small dude! Just because you have one doesn't mean it's any good, sure I'd have one as a spare or maybe give to my nephew.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now also quote the rest of the OP's post regarding what he plays.

With that statement things change quite a lot.

No you've not said that VA is a solid compromise, your literal statement is "subpar experience", there's a rather large grand canyon style gap between the 2 statements.
    However from your own link there's up to 14% variation in panel uniformity, slightly better than the S2714DG but it's still there.
    Also the S2716DG has been revised and upgraded, they've not reviewed the new panel on your site, it should be almost identical to the 24" version.

I never said TN panel monitors were bad what I said for a person that does multiple games that aren't all high-speed games the properties of a VA panel that is equivalent in quality is better overall to a high-speed TN panel.

I have, multiple times, actually lauded the quality of both the S2417DG and S2716DG saying that Dell does a good job on panel calibration and that it does not equate into a worse screen than IPS counter parts.
    But panel properties are a fixed point of quality and cannot be changed unless a different new panel technology is developed so ignoring the panel types is not for one's best interest.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

That's what compromise means evil lol, you give something up for another. A VA panel is not as good of a gaming monitor as a TN. You WILL be getting a subpar GAMING experience on a 165hz VA than you will on a 165hz TN.

If you are ok with a less than ideal gaming experience for better contrast/black levels VA is something you should consider. Again i dont watch TV on my monitor so VA was never a consideration. As for IPS, i will never buy one of those as a gaming monitor. The pixel response times on those is truly atrocious compared to TN, please dont go by ratings on monitors as it means nothing. A "4ms" IPS panel feels terrible compared to a 1ms TN, there is a real and distinct difference. I recently built my cousins kid a budget PC (they only had 500 bucks total) and i found him this IPS 60hz panel on sale:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-h6...?skuId=4751006

Although it was rated at the same 5ms response time as my old 21.5" TN hanspree monitor my god it was a displeasure to play on, even being a far newer display. 60hz did not even feel like 60hz, it felt slower somehow. Overwatch felt so bad i almost wanted to return it, but this was his first display ever and he does not have the experience of TN and he was happy with it.

I know people who are used to 60hz tn panels (on overclock .net forum) who returned the 165hz IPS acer because of its IPS response times, even coming from a 60hz tn something felt "off" to them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Compromise on things != Subpar.

Tell me what does the word "Subpar" mean?
    Now tell me what the word "Compromise" means?

They have 2 ENTIRELY different meanings.

I'll give you an example of compromise and subpar:
    Compromise: I am unable to find an nVidia GTX 1060 6GB to play only PUBG on within the 300 - 350 USD mark, but a compromise presented itself for 300 USD! I have found an AMD RX 580 8GB to play exclusively PUBG on!

Subpar: I have been unable to find any dedicated graphics card to play PUBG on and now I'm going to have to try and play it on my Intel UltraHD 630 integrated graphics, the experience is going to be subpar!

Compromise != Subpar, not in any language on this planet as the meaning of the 2 words are entirely different.

Also your comparison of picking a 110 USD IPS monitor, which inherently is already slower as a panel type than TN, more alluding to the fact that panel types DO matter, is like picking a 70 USD TN panel and comparing it to a 900 USD IPS panel screen.

Meaning the manufacturer is spending most of the money on just the panel part, pretty much the cheapest possibly available, and nothing on the rest including calibration and panel quality whilst for the same 110 USD you can actually have a "better" TN panel because the extra amount is spent on TN panel quality and calibration.

You should know this difference and the inherent greater cost (cause) and subsequent lower quality in the rest of the monitor (effect).

Also the last part of your statement (last 2 paragraphs) are entirely subjective and dependent on person, as panel properties go VA is better as an all-rounder (fact no matter how much you jump around this point) than an equal quality (note the wording) TN panel.
    Just like if all you do is high-speed twitchy competitive gameplay (such as CS:GO, Overwatch, SC2 with an APM of 150+, etc.) a proper TN panel is preferred.
    Play a few other games such as Diablo 3, World of WarCraft, Heroes of the Storm, etc. on it and the VA panel is better.

It's a simple matter of what's overall better with properties of stated panels and user preference.
    It is however NOT a "subpar" gaming experience.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

It is a subpar gaming experience compared to a TN, not sure why you are stuck on the verbiage.

Also i compared a 100 dollar TN to a 160 dollar IPS (non sale price) and TN blew its doors off for gaming.

Once you are used to TN response times its hard to transition to something else.

You gotta understand these dell monitors arent your run of the mill 100 dollars TN's, the black levels are acceptable and the colors are absolutely amazing. Ideal gaming monitor for me is a 240hz 4k TN panel with a properly done FALD system akin to the sony/vizio tv;s out there. OLED is the dream, but sadly its gonna stay a dream for sometime. 240 hz 4k TN with fald is a few years off, but its at least on the table.

Literally the only advantage a IPS has over TN is viewing angles, something that is very important for TV's but as a monitor not so much.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2018-03-12 at 11:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is a subpar gaming experience compared to a TN, not sure why you are stuck on the verbiage.
    Because the word subpar means something entirely different to what you mean.
    Subpar is below the average, if you want to look at what consumers use on average it doesn't take much to be above average at all.

I gave you a perfect example of what it means to be supbar and what it means to compromise, meanings, especially in the tech world, is extremely important.

What did you buy? An Asus GFX card or an ASUS GPU? Which is correct of the 2 and why?

Also i compared a 100 dollar TN to a 160 dollar IPS (non sale price) and TN blew its doors off for gaming.

Once you are used to TN response times its hard to transition to something else.
    I am used to TN panels but I am also used to IPS, VA, CRT etc.
    I know the differences and it doesn't change anything I've stated prior.

I am also aware of an IPS screen for that price will not have 5ms GTG, just like TN will not.

The point of IPS being more expensive and requiring more than just the panel and be done with it is true regardless of panel.

Provided you don't get the AU Optronics lottery etc. and assume you get a good monitor and you compare the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q and the Dell S2716DG (upgraded revision just for you) ... which will be the better panel? (note the very first part of

You gotta understand these dell monitors arent your run of the mill 100 dollars TN's, the black levels are acceptable and the colors are absolutely amazing. Ideal gaming monitor for me is a 240hz 4k TN panel with a properly done FALD system akin to the sony/vizio tv;s out there. OLED is the dream, but sadly its gonna stay a dream for sometime. 240 hz 4k TN with fald is a few years off, but its at least on the table.

Literally the only advantage a IPS has over TN is viewing angles, something that is very important for TV's but as a monitor not so much.
    I never said they were but I DID specifically say that equal quality panel (this is VERY important as there are a LOT of quality graded panels) in VA is a better all-rounder than a TN panel OF THE SAME QUALITY (this includes hardware quality AND calibration) unless you do specific high-speed twitch gaming only.

Again ... what is compromise and what is subpar? Think about the examples I gave you.

I just bought a Predator X271 1440p.

No regrets, cheaper than the Asus for virtually the same product.

Coming from an Asus 144hz, the input time isn't noticeable.
    Last edited by willtron; 2018-03-12 at 11:32 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

They are one in the same, why are you still stuck on the adjectives lol?

By compromising on contrast levels you get a SUB PAR movie watching experience on the dell
    By compromising on pixel response times you get a SUB PAR gaming experience on a VA monitor

I just dont get why you are so compelled to point out i used two difference terms describing the same thing lol.

Anyways i think the OP has enough info to make his decision. It really does simply come down to whether you watch movies/TV on your PC monitor, in that scenario a VA panel is a nice option. If he mainly games on his PC the dell is the best choice.

They are one in the same, why are you still stuck on the adjectives lol?

By compromising on contrast levels you get a SUB PAR movie watching experience on the dell
    By compromising on pixel response times you get a SUB PAR gaming experience on a VA monitor

I just dont get why you are so compelled to point out i used two difference terms describing the same thing lol.

Anyways i think the OP has enough info to make his decision. It really does simply come down to whether you watch movies/TV on your PC monitor, in that scenario a VA panel is a nice option. If he mainly games on his PC the dell is the best choice.
    Most of the high end IPS monitors are now like 4ms response time. I severely doubt any here is playing to a threshold where 3ms response time is make or break. Normal human reaction time to a visual stimulus is like 250ms, for a gamer you could half that and still be well in.
    Last edited by willtron; 2018-03-12 at 11:37 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

15+ Year Old Account
    Because the meaning of how you describe it and context of the word used is different.

Regardless I think that's enough of our bickering since you and I will not see eye-to-eye on this as our views on this will never match.

He's got the information he needs and he can choose what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Most of the high end IPS monitors are now like 4ms response time. I severely doubt any here is playing to a threshold where 3ms response time is make or break. Normal human reaction time to a visual stimulus is like 250ms, for a gamer you could half that and still be well in.
    Again, it does NOT work that way lol. Its a different pixel structure entirely, it would be like comparing MPG ratings on a gas car to whatever they use to rate efficiency of electric cars.

And yes evil this is an agree to disagree situation, im not pushing the dell because i own it but because of the research i did before my purchase. Everything taken into consideration, dell s2417dg does not get beat at any price point as a gaming monitor. That is until we get some FALD panels on the market, then i may consider IPS

Thats because you havent seen a properly done FALD or OLED movie experience

- - - Updated - - -

I personally dont watch movies or tv shows on my monitor, i have a fald tv for that. If you are the type who is ok with a subpar experience for both a VA is a perfectly adequate tradeoff.
    Well you’re not getting FALD or OLED out of a monitor anyhow.. Also I’m notnreally a big movie or tv person so I’m not too concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Well you’re not getting FALD or OLED out of a monitor anyhow.. Also I’m notnreally a big movie or tv person so I’m not too concerned!
    Actually fald is already here, its just not quite ready for mass production:
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-mo...nitor-132.html

It was supposed to come out in 2017 (or early 2018 i forget) but its been pushed back to q3 of this year. My guess is the FALD implementation wasnt up to par, this is hard to do correctly as seen with TV's (only a few do it right, takes years to perfect)

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh dont know where this nonsense started but 1440p actually looks better at 24", higher DPI=crisper text and images. Your desk size is going to be more of a factor in deciding what size to go with, but many people find 27" too large for a PC monitor.

There are 5.5" phones with 1440p resolution, lets stop with the nonsensical recommendations.
    The problem with 1440p and 24" is UI scaling. Now UI scaling works pretty well in Windows these days and most newer games and programs. It generally works poorly or not at all in slightly older stuff though. Some stuff just gets really tiny.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Again, it does NOT work that way lol. Its a different pixel structure entirely, it would be like comparing MPG ratings on a gas car to whatever they use to rate efficiency of electric cars.

And yes evil this is an agree to disagree situation, im not pushing the dell because i own it but because of the research i did before my purchase. Everything taken into consideration, dell s2417dg does not get beat at any price point as a gaming monitor. That is until we get some FALD panels on the market, then i may consider IPS
    You are so far gone, that it is actually starting to become sad

You do this again and again with every pice of hardware you own. It is allways the best you can get for money and every body should get the same as you, because it's the best you can get.................. WAKE UP. It's not the best gaming monitor you can get
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2417DG-...s=dell+s2417dg

I put in a ridiculous amount of research about a year ago before i made my monitor purchase, it does not get better than this monitor for under 400. Its the pinnacle of overwatch gaming, if your into that title.
    Get the 27" version of this, I always have buyers remorse for every "big" purchase I've ever made....this is the only thing that I haven't had it with. Easily the best monitor I've ever had. The ASUS ROG similar to this dell is top notch as well( i believe it is better overall) but their customer service sucks so I've avoided Asus forever because of it. Pick the 27" version of this and you will not be disappointed, I promise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I'm in a similar situation. I've been playing on a 24inch 1080p 2ms Samsung since 2010, but quite fancy the idea of moving up to 27-28 inch screen with higher refresh rate and resolution, not sure whether 120hz or 144hz, not sure whether 1440p or 4K, not sure whether HDR.. It's all a bit confusing as to which route to go down to be honest, the last thing I want though is to be in the situation of dialing back the resolution on a higher resolution screen to find usable performance, and to then have it look like whipped vaseline, in turns of a blurry picture lacking clarity.

Seeing 1ms response times is surprising though, things have really come along.
    see ^ above
    Last edited by RuneDK; 2018-03-13 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    You are so far gone, that it is actually starting to become sad

You do this again and again with every pice of hardware you own. It is allways the best you can get for money and every body should get the same as you, because it's the best you can get.................. WAKE UP. It's not the best gaming monitor you can get
    For someone who is first and foremost a FPS player, it absolutely is the best monitor on the market at any price point. Tho i must add if you went by what OW pros used this would change to a 1080p 240hz monitor, i personally believe the drop from 240hz to 165 with the addition of 1440p is the right tradeoff. 1080p really looks terrible once you see 1440p at 24".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Get the 27" version of this, I always have buyers remorse for every "big" purchase I've ever made....this is the only thing that I haven't had it with. Easily the best monitor I've ever had. The ASUS ROG similar to this dell is top notch as well( i believe it is better overall) but their customer service sucks so I've avoided Asus forever because of it. Pick the 27" version of this and you will not be disappointed, I promise.

- - - Updated - - -

see ^ above
    Yup everyone i convince to buy this panel is in love with it, no complaints. Size tho is personal preference, and the 24" has been reviewed a bit better than the 27"

Only thing that ive heard people dont like is gamma correction, but most times ive tried to duplicate this it has been low bitrate content (like black scenes on netflix with banding).
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2018-03-13 at 08:31 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Kind of off topic, but, for those of you using a 27" monitor do you notice text being less "sharp"? If you don't, do you do any regular coding, writing, reading on your monitor? I mentioned it earlier in the thread: when I was choosing between a 24" and a 27" monitor, the text on the 24" was, for me, noticeably sharper. I figured it was mainly because of pixel pitch, but, now, I'm not so certain and am thinking that I maybe, just maybe, didn't setup the 27" inch correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Kind of off topic, but, for those of you using a 27" monitor do you notice text being less "sharp"? If you don't, do you do any regular coding, writing, reading on your monitor? I mentioned it earlier in the thread: when I was choosing between a 24" and a 27" monitor, the text on the 24" was, for me, noticeably sharper. I figured it was mainly because of pixel pitch, but, now, I'm not so certain and am thinking that I maybe, just maybe, didn't setup the 27" inch correctly.
    Nah thats from the DPI. Human eyes are quite perceptive of these things, i can tell the difference between a phone with 300 dpi (what apple calls retina) to one in the 400-500 range. I think past that tho is pretty hard to tell, these monitors are only in the ~100-125 ppi range, and it is easier to tell a difference.