Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
    Assume you're using a regular mouse and keyboard to play the game and you're right handed, how many buttons can you easily reach with your left hand in combat? You can't count the ones you use to move your character. Is it really that different?
    ~ to 6 and most of the keys below down to the space bar, with a g 600 so thats 30+ right there. Another big issue with controller game play is mouse overs. Healing with a controller is significantly worse than a mouse/keyboard set up. Of course we can look at it one very easy way, if it was as close or useful as people are implying or saying it is you would see top players go with the controller option. Surprise, surprise they don't... I wonder why?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Not sure this has been talked about before, if not here we go.. Well I came across another BelluarGaming video, and well someone has done it someone has made an program/addon called WoWMapper and ConsolePort that allows you to use a console controller to play the game..

With this being released it could set a precedence and show Blizzard that it is quite plausible for WoW to be ported to consoles, which I am not entirely sure myself but who knows.. But it does make one wonder but for those curious one concern would be what looks like having to have WoWMapper running in the background for this to work and well we all know it is never wise to do that..
    Yeah, this has been done several times over the years.

I think a big part of the issue is that I'm skeptical it could hold up against competition with many other next-gen games on consoles where it does not currently already have a player demographic. I don't have any data to support this, but my assumption is that the PC game doesn't really attract a lot of new blood, just lifetime players and returning players, with a bit of new mixed in now and then. Console is a different player demographic and a different gameplay mindset.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying I'm skeptical.

Diablo was a bit of a different story since it had already had one installment on console and ARPGs are pretty common on consoles as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    [video=youtube;EgvmDMBv6co]
    With this being released it could set a precedence and show Blizzard that it is quite plausible for WoW to be ported to consoles, which I am not entirely sure myself but who knows.. But it does make one wonder but for those curious one concern would be what looks like having to have WoWMapper running in the background for this to work and well we all know it is never wise to do that..
    A person on controller with no effective camera or movement controls

They'l be the guy in your M+ who stands in everything and never moves.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    ~ to 6 and most of the keys below down to the space bar, with a g 600 so thats 30+ right there. Another big issue with controller game play is mouse overs. Healing with a controller is significantly worse than a mouse/keyboard set up. Of course we can look at it one very easy way, if it was as close or useful as people are implying or saying it is you would see top players go with the controller option. Surprise, surprise they don't... I wonder why?
    A Steam controller can handle mouse over healing, but console controllers have the raid cursor for healing instead. The d-pad moves between raid frames, so it's something you'd have to get used to, but something that can be fairly effective with practice.

As for why everyone isn't using a controller, why would they be if they have been playing Wow with a m+kb for 14 years and know it so well with that? There might not be much point putting down what you already know works to learn something that would ultimately be about as good (maybe) or slightly worse after mastering it.

Another issue with getting people to even bother with controllers is people spreading misinformation. Lack of buttons? Mousing over for healing when there is the raid cursor? As talked about in this thread, none of those are really issues. I know of at least one tank and one dps that do Mythic raiding just fine with a controller, and one healer than does heroic raiding just fine too. It's all just a matter of learning to use the tool you play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmonkey View Post
    A Steam controller can handle mouse over healing, but console controllers have the raid cursor for healing instead. The d-pad moves between raid frames, so it's something you'd have to get used to, but something that can be fairly effective with practice.

As for why everyone isn't using a controller, why would they be if they have been playing Wow with a m+kb for 14 years and know it so well with that? There might not be much point putting down what you already know works to learn something that would ultimately be about as good (maybe) or slightly worse after mastering it.

Another issue with getting people to even bother with controllers is people spreading misinformation. Lack of buttons? Mousing over for healing when there is the raid cursor? As talked about in this thread, none of those are really issues. I know of at least one tank and one dps that do Mythic raiding just fine with a controller, and one healer than does heroic raiding just fine too. It's all just a matter of learning to use the tool you play with.
    For the top end players they are going to go with whatever is best. When the conversation moves to comments like "just fine" you are admitting yourself it is substandard. Can you do it sure, is it the best way, no. This mirrors conversations people have about keyboard turning. I am even open to the idea there might be something you can do better with a controller, I don't know what that could be, but it is possible. Overall though it isn't as good and you are putting in far more effort to get less.

Deleted
    For the top end players they are going to go with whatever is best. When the conversation moves to comments like "just fine" you are admitting yourself it is substandard. Can you do it sure, is it the best way, no. This mirrors conversations people have about keyboard turning. I am even open to the idea there might be something you can do better with a controller, I don't know what that could be, but it is possible. Overall though it isn't as good and you are putting in far more effort to get less.
    Well I haven't been trying to say that using a controller is the best thing ever. As has already been said, heroic and mythic raiding is still possible, and just because it isn't the best thing since sliced bread doesn't mean the whole playstyle is invalid. And it seems pretty easy to me to work the hotkeys on a controller because you don't have to move your hands around a keyboard to access more hotkeys.

Another big issue with controller game play is mouse overs. Healing with a controller is significantly worse than a mouse/keyboard set up.
    I really can't respect your opinion if you think anyone is attempting to mouseover heal a raid with a regular gamepad.

Do you realise that I spent a lot of time creating systems to solve this particular issue? Healing on a controller is completely different from a regular setup. I've seen similar posts where people said that targeting was too tricky, only to find out they were running around and targeting enemies with the mouse cursor. Target scan is a laser beam down the center of my viewport, but hey, I'm going to whip out the cursor and attempt to click on enemies instead.

Yes, you're completely right. It's much harder, and way less efficient than kb/m. That's not what upsets me about posters like you. It's the fact that you deny that anything like this is possible. You started your argument by calling it a "keyboard turning style of play" and "a nightmare for raiding/pvp", and now you're at "top end players are going to go with whatever is best". On that last part, I do agree with you, but you don't have to win every argument for the sake of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
    I really can't respect your opinion if you think anyone is attempting to mouseover heal a raid with a regular gamepad.

Do you realise that I spent a lot of time creating systems to solve this particular issue? Healing on a controller is completely different from a regular setup. I've seen similar posts where people said that targeting was too tricky, only to find out they were running around and targeting enemies with the mouse cursor. Target scan is a laser beam down the center of my viewport, but hey, I'm going to whip out the cursor and attempt to click on enemies instead.

Yes, you're completely right. It's much harder, and way less efficient than kb/m. That's not what upsets me about posters like you. It's the fact that you deny that anything like this is possible. You started your argument by calling it a "keyboard turning style of play" and "a nightmare for raiding/pvp", and now you're at "top end players are going to go with whatever is best". On that last part, I do agree with you, but you don't have to win every argument for the sake of winning.
    I never said it wasn't possible, the exact opposite. Some of the people in this thread are insisting it is as good or better, which is pure nonsense. I also didn't say people using your system did mouse over heal, I said it wouldn't work. In almost all cases that is the faster and better way to heal which is why I mentioned it as a limitation. I am not pointing things out to say that a controller play style is impossible, I was pointing these pitfalls out as reasons why it isn't as quick. I am sure it is a blast and for a different experience probably wonderful, it just comes with limits that people were blissfully ignoring or pretending weren't there.

Deleted
    I never said it wasn't possible, the exact opposite. Some of the people in this thread are insisting it is as good or better, which is pure nonsense. I also didn't say people using your system did mouse over heal, I said it wouldn't work. In almost all cases that is the faster and better way to heal which is why I mentioned it as a limitation. I am not pointing things out to say that a controller play style is impossible, I was pointing these pitfalls out as reasons why it isn't as quick. I am sure it is a blast and for a different experience probably wonderful, it just comes with limits that people were blissfully ignoring or pretending weren't there.
    It's not as good as a top end m+kb setup, but you've seemingly been discrediting the mere idea of a controller by going over the same tired lines everyone uses. "Only meant for casual content", "Not enough buttons", etc. You can still roll with all those m+kb players in most high level content. I imagine it's safe to assume you're not the best WoW player with the best gaming gear ever and that doesn't stop you from playing at a high level either. You don't need the best of the best gaming gear to do well. Well enough for most content, anyway.

As for controllers potentially being better than m+kb? Probably not. Especially compared to some fancy gaming mice with lots of buttons. However, I have wondered if a Steam controller might potentially have a bit of an edge compared to a generic m+kb setup with no fancy mouse buttons. It's been so long since I used a m+kb for healing or dps, and it seems like it'd be overly complicated compared to a Steam controller.

Hey guys ¡ I got to say that I tried this addon for a very limited time, and I loved it ! But I was not suscribed to WoW at the time, I was only interested in trying the addon, so I did not experiment much with it.

So I have a few questions, I will really appreciate if someone could answer them:

- I have played FF14 in PS4 and I loved the controller setup, it is possible to play in the same way with WoW?

- How can we loot and talk to NPCs with this addon? Because with FF14 is very easy, but when I tried this addon for some reason I could not do it.

- What would you say that are the main issues with this addon? I do not care about HC raiding or Mythic +20, I'm mostly a casual player, a collectionist, so what main problems will I face (camera, combat, anything)?

I think that is all for the moment. Thank you !

Oh, and since the creator of the addon seems to be around here, thank you VERY MUCH for this addon, you have done an AMAZING job. Congratulations !
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

15+ Year Old Account
    This has been around for years.

It's not really practical outside casual play, especially not for any class with more than 4 main spells... I couldn't effectively use my Retribution paladin with the controller when I tried it.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    This has been around for years.

It's not really practical outside casual play, especially not for any class with more than 4 main spells... I couldn't effectively use my Retribution paladin with the controller when I tried it.
    Dps should be the easiest thing to do with a controller. Sounds like you didn't give it enough of a chance before disregarding it. Perhaps you fell into the idea that, because it's not immediately as good as the m+kb setup you may be used to, it's not good. I had trouble even healing dungeons when I first started playing with a controller.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmonkey View Post
    Dps should be the easiest thing to do with a controller. Sounds like you didn't give it enough of a chance before disregarding it. Perhaps you fell into the idea that, because it's not immediately as good as the m+kb setup you may be used to, it's not good. I had trouble even healing dungeons when I first started playing with a controller.
    If the only thing I had to do was DPS it would be easy.

Factor in keybinds for heals, Cleanse, interrupt, Hands, stun etc and there just aren't enough gamepad modifier combos.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    If the only thing I had to do was DPS it would be easy.

Factor in keybinds for heals, Cleanse, interrupt, Hands, stun etc and there just aren't enough gamepad modifier combos.
    It's all about how you set up your controls. And I'm pretty sure that Munk has gone over how to get lots of keybindings out of a normal controller. Could also use Steam input and also add some activators too, so that individual buttons have more functions depending on how you press them (different keybindings for a normal press, double press, button hold, etc). Or you could do what I do and use a Steam controller with touch menus. I prefer that because I can think of them like a numpad that relates better to hotkey bars better than sets of 4 hotkeys on a normal controller.

People played Vanilla Alpha with Nintendo controllers via NESUC-sync.

Can someone please answer my doubts? Thanks in advance:

- I have played FF14 in PS4 and I loved the controller setup, it is possible to play in the same way with WoW?

- How can we loot and talk to NPCs with this addon? Because with FF14 is very easy, but when I tried this addon for some reason I could not do it.

- What would you say that are the main issues with this addon? I do not care about HC raiding or Mythic +20, I'm mostly a casual player, a collectionist, so what main problems will I face (camera, combat, anything)?
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Seen a Frost Mage PvP with a steering wheel and pedals during Wrath. Can even find it still on youtube.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Futch View Post
    Seen a Frost Mage PvP with a steering wheel and pedals during Wrath. Can even find it still on youtube.
    I've been meaning to try healing low level raids with a NES controller, but never had access to one before my sub expired. I reckon that with Consoleport and Steam Input, healing Lfr as a Holy Priest could be doable-ish lol.

They want those console players subs, like FFXIV does, even if it means pruning the game to hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    They want those console players subs, like FFXIV does, even if it means pruning the game to hell.
    You do know it is just a mod....also ffxiv has FAR more skills then wow these days