10+ Year Old Account

question about external hard drives.

so i have finally decided to switch to windows 10. however first i am going to backup my data onto an external hard drive. a couple questions. will this item work going from windows 7 to 10?
    secondly will there be any issues with registery errors? third is it possible to switch to windows 10 without reformatting the current drive? i have a second drive that has windows 7 on it. could i just format that and put 10 on that and make that my primary drive? this is the item in question:
    https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2018-03-13 at 05:40 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

If you upgrade from the same "version" of 7 to 10 e.g. "Home" "Pro" etc you will get an upgrade option, this will create a windows.old folder will all your stuff in it.

That said there are many many weird things that happen with a win 10 upgrade e.g. shadow copies. I would highly recommend you install fresh windows 10 rather than upgrade.

What are you planning to use the external HDD for exactly?

Generally i'd backup files to a secondary HDD, format primary, install new windows on primary and then pull the files back. All programs should be reinstalled to ensure clean installs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endorus View Post
    If you upgrade from the same "version" of 7 to 10 e.g. "Home" "Pro" etc you will get an upgrade option, this will create a windows.old folder will all your stuff in it.

That said there are many many weird things that happen with a win 10 upgrade e.g. shadow copies. I would highly recommend you install fresh windows 10 rather than upgrade.

What are you planning to use the external HDD for exactly?

Generally i'd backup files to a secondary HDD, format primary, install new windows on primary and then pull the files back. All programs should be reinstalled to ensure clean installs.
    what i plan to do is backup the files probably reformat the main drive and second drive and do a fresh install of windows 10 from there. would that cause any complications? i'm assuming i should delete the windows 7/8 graphics drivers on the back up since they might cause issues with the windows 10 install. if i reformat it and have the windows 10 usb inserted would that be enough to prompt a windows 10 install?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2018-03-22 at 05:54 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.