Thread: The A-team

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The A-team

Do we have any idea who some of the devs are on the project? Like the project leader at least? Or is this all still a mystery?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    Do we have any idea who some of the devs are on the project? Like the project leader at least? Or is this all still a mystery?
    Unknown of the team, wouldn't they be the 'C' team? I mean, 'A' team is basically gone, we're at 'B' team with live.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The A-Team is currently busy with BfA. I doubt any of them are involved with Classic.

I think the Classic project is mostly a technical project, not a developer one. System engineers have this to make the old game supported on modern systems with modern security.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I think the Classic project is mostly a technical project, not a developer one. System engineers have this to make the old game supported on modern systems with modern security.
    This is closer to the truth that anything yet posted. Development in this case is making what worked on old infrastructure work properly on new infrastructure. They aren't developing new content for it. It's just dotting i's and crossing t's to insure that it works as well as possible within their current network and business services. It's software engineering, not content creation.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

5+ Year Old Account
    Personally I hope they hire the old Nostalrius team. Their passion for vanilla goes above and beyond anything I have ever seen.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

10+ Year Old Account
    Like the project leader at least?
    Here's the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Personally I hope they hire the old Nostalrius team. Their passion for vanilla goes above and beyond anything I have ever seen.
    And that's about it, the passion, they don't know how to model, texture, animate and/or rig something and other GameDev related stuff etc. why should Blizzard hire them? If anything they could be at least GMs lol.
    Last edited by Micronetic; 2018-03-05 at 08:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their passion to release their source code probably is going to work against them.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

It is still a Mr T-ree

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Their passion to release their source code probably is going to work against them.
    You also don't hire black hats, when you've got white hats available to hire.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    And that's about it, the passion, they don't know how to model, texture, animate and/or rig something and other GameDev related stuff etc. why should Blizzard hire them? If anything they could be at least GMs lol.
    First of all: You dont know what they know or what talents they have.
    Second: The game assets already exists and dont have to be re-created. Most of the work that has to be done is adapting old game code to new systems and hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Perhaps. But you have to remember that the source code they released was not writted by Blizzard but by the Nostalrius team, and other ManGos-coders before them. As far as I know, there's no bad blood between Blizzard and the Nost team.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    It is still a Mr T-ree

- - - Updated - - -

You also don't hire black hats, when you've got white hats available to hire.
    To call private server coders black hats is disingenuous and simply untrue.
    Last edited by Storfan; 2018-03-05 at 09:29 AM.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Pretty much whoever the development team were for original Vanilla, no?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    Pretty much whoever the development team were for original Vanilla, no?
    Vanilla was developed during the years 1999-2004 pretty much. There is a good chance alot of those original devs arent at Blizzard anymore, retired, working on other projects, or simply work on Bfa.

I hope you are right though.

Deleted
    You mean like Mr T and his Night Elf Mohawk?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I would not consider giving original code to people who already stole my intellectual property and probably earned money over it.
    The sourcecode wasnt Blizzards. It wasnt written by Blizzard. No source code on any private server is written or scripted by Blizzard.

Private servers use Blizzard assests as in Textures, maps etc but the actual game code is ONLY possesed by blizzard and kept behind lock and key.

The source code released was writted by ManGoS-coders and Nost-coders.

All that being said, using the Blizzard assets is questionable (At best) but no code has been stole.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all: You dont know what they know or what talents they have.
    What do you mean I don't know it, this is from their site:

With our best regards,
    The whole Nostalrius team.
    Administrators, Daemon & Viper.
    Developers, Joan, Chakor, Etiakor & Cursive
    GM Team, Tyrael, Abuthar, Akasso, Benevael, Cabotage, Eragon, Ithlien, Nalorious, Nathrizyr, Pottu, Quietist, Roffeal, Same, Seshinriyu, Vaelanor & Voltog.
    Testing team, Nano, Fenrir, Link, Stryg, Shahkar, Clank
    So it looks like they had only 4 Devs which were maybe Programmers.

Second: The game assets already exists and dont have to be re-created. Most of the work that has to be done is adapting old game code to new systems and hardware.
    There is much more than this.

Textures, maps and "etc" is everything a property of Blizzard.
    The "source-code" definitely contains Blizzard code because if it doesn't, private servers would need few years to write that code. So, they are modifying already existing code to their liking. The "source-code" in case of pirate servers is nothing else than modified version of code and claimed as "their own".
    You should not make (false and stupid) assertions on subjects you are VERY obviously completely ignorant about.

Deleted
    SNIP
    I agree that blackhats might be a bit of a stretch.

That being said Blizzard dont owe them anything an they have stolen their property and made money off of it. There is just no way around it.

People sometimes forget how much passion Blizzard has for wow because they think passion = making the game how they want it made.

I dont think i've seen anyone more invested in WoW then Chris Metzen but there is a LOT of people working on that game that we never heard talk

5+ Year Old Account
    Textures, maps and "etc" is everything a property of Blizzard.
    The "source-code" definitely contains Blizzard code because if it doesn't, private servers would need few years to write that code. So, they are modifying already existing code to their liking. The "source-code" in case of pirate servers is nothing else than modified version of code and claimed as "their own".
    ManGos-coders has been writing custom code for private vanilla servers since 2005. So basically as long as WoW has existed as a playable game. So we're talking 13 years of development by a HUGE numbers of contributors across dozens projects (if not more).

Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    What do you mean I don't know it, this is from their site:

So it looks like they had only 4 Devs which were maybe Programmers.

There is much more than this.
    4 Devs on that specific project maybe yea. But as I mentioned in my post above there has been alot more contributors to the ManGos source code across the past 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    You should not make (false and stupid) assertions on subjects you are VERY obviously completely ignorant about.
    Please enlighten me then. I dont mind admitting to being wrong if proven so.

Please enlighten me then. I dont mind admitting to being wrong if proven so.
    I was quoting the other guy, why would you feel targeted by what I was saying ?
    I love how you are sugar coating something that is an obvious piracy act with "writing custom code" and "HUGE numbers of contributors across dozens projects".

I am making assertions that others don't like to hear when they must.
    No, you're not, you're just a complete ignorant in full Dunning Kruger syndrome.
    Go educate yourself on what emulation is and how it works, and also a bit about client-server concepts.

As far as I know, there's no bad blood between Blizzard and the Nost team.

To call private server coders black hats is disingenuous and simply untrue.
    I don't mean to cause offence and if I have (and do below), sorry.

My view is that I can't imagine there NOT being bad blood. They facilitated the theft of Blizzard IP, albeit without malice, which resulted in substantial bad press when it was defended. It would also be very hard to argue this didn't directly impact their revenues albeit in a minor way.

This forced Blizzard to respond directly to the controversy. It gave a platform for someone like Mark Kern to become relevant again and resulted in Blizzard going on the PR offensive by flying the Nost team + Mark to come to their campus. Now you could argue this was all in good nature, with no bad blood felt given the shared love of the game. I don't view it this way but you can if you want.

What 100% kills it is where after the trip, Nost devs explained Blizzard STOPPED talking to them. As a result they RELEASED the code to another private server thus now allow for the continued infringement of Blizzard IP even thought Blizzard had started to take Classic servers seriously.

You think they will just be 100% a-OK with them after that?

You're dreaming mate.

I also justify the 'Black Hat' v. 'White Hat' for this specific purpose.

Personally I hope the Nost devs learn to market their experience in the game development world and catapult their careers because of it.