Page 1 of 36
... LastLast

The Hardest Mage Tower Challenge is....

...in my humble opinion.... Protection Paladin. I got Kruul on every other tank, but I just can't seem to DPS things down fast enough before I end up with like 3 Infernals and everything goes to shit. I think I'm just doing something wrong because I'm like 20 ilevels higher than when I did it on my DK, DH and Druid.

So even if you haven't tried them all, what is the hardest one so far for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm... Probably the prot warrior one. Mind you I'm not a great prot warrior and didn't have any leggo's for it so that didn't help I'm sure.

Did it on my brewmaster though without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    ...in my humble opinion.... Protection Paladin. I got Kruul on every other tank, but I just can't seem to DPS things down fast enough before I end up with like 3 Infernals and everything goes to shit. I think I'm just doing something wrong because I'm like 20 ilevels higher than when I did it on my DK, DH and Druid.

I would probably agree. That one or the prot warrior one I'd say.
    I did the warrior one really early though, it might be better at suitable gear levels.

I strongly disagree, personally did the prot paladin one after 3 tries, and i never tank, although outgearing it played a factor i`m sure.
    Hardest i`ve done personally was the ret pala one, but probably because i was only 885 at the time of doing it

Prot Pal was easy for me.

BrM was a pain even with the Chest+Shoulders.

Outlaw with sub 920 gear was a complete fucking absolute nightmare. Rest were, hm, challenging but didn't make me want to quit the game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post

demonolgy at the start
    the fight is made for burst, and for constant movmenet, in a spec that hates movement and takes along time to deal damage.
    however with speciific talents, legendaries, and teir set it becomes alot easier, also if you do the fight abit cheeky... i did it about 3erd try because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Oqvzppvag

without this, and really even with it, it can still be rough,.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I've managed to finish all of them. Shadow Priest was a nightmare because you had to line up all the mobs in the final phase just right to generate enough insanity to not fall out of your final void form while Surrender to Madness was up. 150 or so tries on that one.

Outside of that one, the healing one was probably the most frustrating to deal with. Just because it is a long fight to begin with, learning the fight for each spec was daunting, and some specs *cough* holy priest *cough* just didn't have the outright throughput like other specs had to deal with the healing adds phase.

I just started working on prot warrior and I can already tell this is going to be a nightmare compared to Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am curious but did you try to turn on S2M when Karam was at about 75% on the first phase and then just kill Raest before Karam ever finishes Purgatory?
    Yeah, couldn't push him fast enough. Priest was 925ish but was very much geared as an alt. No set bonuses, no good trinket procs, pretty much welfare epics from Argus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    I've managed to finish all of them. Shadow Priest was a nightmare because you had to line up all the mobs in the final phase just right to generate enough insanity to not fall out of your final void form while Surrender to Madness was up. 150 or so tries on that one.
    I didn't bother with S2M it was too much of a liability. Took me maybe 20 tries with legacy.

Outside of that one, the healing one was probably the most frustrating to deal with. Just because it is a long fight to begin with, learning the fight for each spec was daunting, and some specs *cough* holy priest *cough* just didn't have the outright throughput like other specs had to deal with the healing adds phase.
    Healing is by far the worst. I did it on 3 healers now (mistweaver, holy, resto druid) and the fact that it's so frigging long that if you screw up it's another 20 minutes of your time lost.

By comparison, Brewmaster or Guardian druid with Kruul takes roughly 5 to 8 minutes from start to finish. :|

As far as the tank challenge goes, I've only done two: Prot paladin and Brewmaster. Brewmaster was done somewhat recently around 910 or 915 item level, took about 5 or so tries with my only legendary being Prydaz (and I wouldn't say I'm that great of a brewmaster, either).

My prot paladin one was done before ToS released, and I had 904 item level with these stats and gear (https://i.imgur.com/FRmZzYV.jpg : You can also see my dps, healing, and the duration for the fight in the meters on that screencap) and it took roughly 150 attempts. Mind you, I didn't have Tyelca (which as shown in the "no artifact prot paladin kill," makes a huge difference since he beat me in damage despite being 50 item levels lower). I stacked about as many CDs as I could with trinkets, talents, pots, drums, and stats, and ended the fight with 739k dps, killing Kruul before he hit me with a third Annihilate and before I had a third infernal.

Before I went and did it for the brewmaster, I told myself I would never do that tank challenge again. lol Such a nightmare. Turns out it's just the prot paladin with no Tyelca that turns it into a bitch to do.

I've also done a couple of the healer challenges (holy priest and holy paladin), and none of them were that bad (Disc wasn't even a healer challenge and was a joke); it's just a very long challenge so it can be grating.
    Last edited by Zookz25; 2018-03-13 at 08:58 PM.

I've done it 20 some times. I've decided that in the most part they are fairly balanced. Some are easy (way to easy) and some are a challenge (as they should be) but omfg
    Protection pallys and resto druids got screwed. No legendary helps you, it's pure skill and ilvl.
    To be fair, protection pallies can get lucky in their challenge, just happen to avoid the internals or get some good proc spams and crits. But resto druids just get decimated come the timed healing phase...
    Easiest was probably ele shaman with pydraz and roots. Half of them I did just about two shot, but I one shot all the shaman ones with those two leggos.

The Tank scenario is imho generally the hardest, but I've not had the "pleasure" to try it on a paladin. While some others are really a lot longer, like Healer, they offer you a chance in between to collect yourself. Tank is 100% from start to finish, no breaks, which requires quite a different sort of endurance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Wow...but judging by the comments, this is one crazily skilled guy. Like Mionelol? But always a hoot to see that one guy down voting it
    Rex is basically a god, if he look at his channel, insane shit.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Usually that means you need to turn on S2M even earlier (80 or even 85%). My priest was also a non-raiding alt (mostly world boss drops and LFR trinkets) and poor legendaries for shadow but much higher ilvl (935)
    Well, good news is that I've been done with that challenge for a while now so I don't have to worry about it. Thanks for the info though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Healing is by far the worst. I did it on 3 healers now (mistweaver, holy, resto druid) and the fact that it's so frigging long that if you screw up it's another 20 minutes of your time lost.

By comparison, Brewmaster or Guardian druid with Kruul takes roughly 5 to 8 minutes from start to finish. :|
    Yeah, one mistake and you're pretty far out on your next attempt. Even if you know the fight well, it still is an endurance fight.

The tanking one took a few minutes to learn initially but once I had it down, it wasn't hard to adapt to the other tanks. Of course, I suspect that having a 930+ ilvl on all my tanks helped a lot.

Highlord Kruul is absolutely the hardest I've tried. I finally beat it on my Guardian Druid on try number 43. Then I beat Agatha as a Feral Druid in literally 3 attempts; such a pushover after doing Kruul.

Deleted
    easiest to hardest for me:

Monk > DH > Pala > DK > Warrior (haven't done druid yet)

I tunneled with pala on start up to 9 stacks (avenger's shield is OPAF) and then just kept the boss CCed with orbs/stun/avenger's shield

Push it before 1st infernal and 2nd phase is snoozefest

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    Super impressive. If I get the leg legendaries I might have a shot.

- - - Updated - - -

I cannot agree on the healing ones. The challenge was managing the throughput in the first phase and the second to last phase and gear completely removes that challenge. It's frustrating because a geared healer will have most of their wipes on the last phase and will have to spend so much time getting back there but frustrating is not challenging imo.

The crucial part for healers is to help out with damage as much as possible. My druid did more dps than any of the NPCs.
    Yeah I think the healing one was super frustrating because of how different each phase is. When I finally learned how to do the first phase - the corridor was easy - but then you get to the last part and I totally fucked up. Every other challenge is fairly consistent throughout. Maybe Xylem has some difference in phases but not as much as the healing challenge.

most were doable after a decent amount of attempts and learning mechanics. Some however were just annoying. Frost mage was just that, took me 80 sometime tries. I'd always get awkward moments where my frozen orb was on cd and I couldnt generate ice lance procs to kill the hands. Maybe it was me being bad, but It just seemed like it was very hard to execute without "over" aoei-ing and having nothing to aoe because you killed all the tiny adds with blizzard and frozen orb to generate procs on the boss, or to save them and have a hard time kiting them around.

Edir: people saying healing ones were hard? hmmm I'd have to disagree, the resto shaman was the biggest joke ever considering you could pop reincarnate on last phase and healing the spirits was easy as hell compared to resto druid. Resto and hpally I struggled with last 2 phases the most, the first 3 phases were easy, I hardly wiped on that.