Thread: Resto Advice

Resto Advice

Hello. I have recently decided to switch to resto and I'm having some issues learning the correct rotation or what spells to use to maximize HPS. My healing ilvl is 940 currently since I have been collecting healing pieces from raids while I was dps. I usually average 300-400k hps which just seems low because on my holy priest with equivalent gear I can do 700-800hps, sometimes more depending on the fight.

Right now, I am making sure riptide is always on cd, making sure gift of the queen on cd. I rarely use healing surge unless I need to emergency heal. I will use chain heal when there's raid wide damage, and I use healing wave to spot heal.

Just would like some advice on what I am doing wrong and how I can do better.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you have some logs, that would make it much easier to help determine where you can best improve. Otherwise you'll just be getting general information.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTiddles View Post
    If you have some logs, that would make it much easier to help determine where you can best improve. Otherwise you'll just be getting general information.
    I'll post a few when warcraft logs comes back online. Not sure why I didn't think of posting those earlier lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll post a few when warcraft logs comes back online. Not sure why I didn't think of posting those earlier lol.

- - - Updated - - -

wwwwarcraftlogscom/reports/Wmch13Axg7MBdTVt#fight=61&type=healing

warcraftlogs.com/reports/Wmch13Axg7MBdTVt#fight=61&type=healing

That's probably one of the lower hps, but I don't feel my current rotation is much different on the others.
    Last edited by steven0715; 2018-03-14 at 03:25 AM.

Deleted
    there are so many things wrong with ur talents/casts.Why dont u join the resto shaman discord and see the basics first?then you can start worrying about ur hps

Quote Originally Posted by Truthbetold View Post
    there are so many things wrong with ur talents/casts.Why dont u join the resto shaman discord and see the basics first?then you can start worrying about ur hps
    Where do I join that at?

Deleted
    google resto shaman discord LUL

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steven0715 View Post
    Where do I join that at?
    https://ancestralguidance.com/ this website has a few guides and a link to their discord.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

So looking at some things,

Talents: Go to icyveins and look up with what you should talent into.Your level 60 talent needs to be Ancestral guidance, its a super awesome spell.
    For level 90 use cloudburst.

Why arent you gem'd ? That would help alot!

Edit: You need to cast the following more, Healing wave, Healing stream totem...pretty much every heal you have.

And you need more crit, ALWAYS MORE CRIT
    Last edited by PhantasmagoriaX; 2018-03-14 at 11:48 PM.

You should try and use healing rain more. You only used it once that fight. It is great for Varimathras since everyone is stacked and taking constant ticking damage.

Cutting edge(Argus) Resto shaman here, some people have seem to have given you some false information so I want to simply clear things up for ya.

1) Ilvl>Stats ALWAYS for shamans, with the exception that you need for a specific boss to have more haste if you are running a haste build bc people need quick spot heals (aggra,Argus mythic). You do not HAVE to do this, but if it makes your healing team better you can do so.
    2) The shaman discord along with https://ancestralguidance.com/ offer spreadsheets that make things really simple to follow
    3) One thing you need to do is learn when it is best for you to use cloudburst on all the Antorus fights. Have them lineup where right when the damage goes out the cloudburst will be going off (don't be afraid to recall the totem early if it will save lives)
    4) Healing rain needs to be casted on cooldown, as well as HST, and riptide. Those should always be casted when they are up.
    5) Wow logs is the best place IMO to see how to improve and see how others with your playing style are doing well and even can help you change your playing style.

Don't let people tell you that you have to go with one secondary like crit, haste or so on, item level for resto shaman is KING.
    -this can however not be true for ONLY relics, the shaman discord has an image that provides an easy guide for picking relics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post

And you need more crit, ALWAYS MORE CRIT
    This is not correct, given different builds chain heal build/ascen,class ring and so on might change some small amount preferred stats but those are rare cases(mostly for your semi-hardcore/hardcore resto shamans), item level is always king with the exception of relics. That is why there is no BIS for resto shaman bc TF and WF can negate any type of stacking of a stat that you wanted. Crit CAN be nice IF you are running low on mana, but that can be a whole different issue of WHAT you are casting and WHEN you are casting. For example, Zero reason to not wear a 15 item level upgrade if it were to give you more crit than what you have on. You take the item level upgrade.

What above poster said.
    Other problems:

- Get legendaries
    - Get your 4pc set
    - Use the cookie cutter ancestral guidance/cloudburst totem build for a start, and High Tide or Ascendance depending on your chain heal usage for a particular fight
    - Use your healing CDs (healing tide totem and ancestral guidance) as much as you can
    Last edited by krl; 2018-03-30 at 12:14 PM.

You said that you were dps before but do you not have Prydaz, Roots, or class ring? I would imagine one of those would have dropped for you at some point, unless this is just mostly a newer character then nevermind. But anyway, i agree with other posters. I would recommend only using High Tide until you get more used to healing as Ascendance can easily be wasted compared to the overall passive bonus of better chain heals.