Legacy Servers Contribution to the IP as a whole

How proud were you when you received the super rare item in a raid far off in the past? or just the fact that you cleared the content? Wouldn't that be great to relive those times, and give others who didn't have the chance the same opportunity? As we all know blizzard is giving us that experience with Classic.

With all the politics aside, lets assume that this will be a fairly well balanced release of the game with a few servers that have most the features people want. What this is is a "remaster" that can present the opportunity to receive rewards for the current live version of WoW. this can lead into the achievement system of the main account (i.E. a toggle could be placed on classic wow to choose between seeing the acheivement UI or not) and it would show on your account wide achievement list as feats of strength from X account. This would not only give a reward to the people already planning on playing -- but the intrigue for the players who are either bored, or weren't interested before they knew it could affect their live subscription and thus receiving achievement AND reward alike. (i.E clearing naxxramas several times to receieve a full set of Tier 3)

with that said, how do you keep a community going? how is this sustained? With the release of each expansion the additional feature of having the preserved storylines, quest areas etc gives the opportunity to expand more immersively into the living world of azeroth. new players are coming to join this community of WoW and subscribing to not only new and exciting content, but previous version of that content as well. This could have huge implications on how the world scape is played, during one expansion lifecycle, areas could change and have new more immersive story content that feels more like the original RTS story modes and having an almost direct impact to the story. With the narrative breakthroughs of legion and the addition of the "communities" implementation, we could be seeing a vibrant game community that is open to each player to do whatever they wanted within the warcraft universe.

Joe Schmoe has been playing since WotLK and always wanted to play through the original raid tiers of classic wow. He wants to play classic but doesn't feel like he would be fully committed, He loves playing the current content and wants to progress his current character. When he talks to his friend Jane Doe who had quit after vanilla ended and is playing on the classic Server, she entices Joe to come over and play. He realizes that with the progression earns rewards for his live account, Joe plays thru max level and raids in the off time from Live. after a while Joe convices Jane to do the same with Live wow, since the subscription is the same, she purchases and downloads the current expansion title and experiences the new game with the newly added areas that she had leveled in vanilla in featuring new story content and landscape changes. Crazy how the Horde took over stormwind huh. JK but the thought of something like that happening and playing through how that happened and how 2 expansions later the Dark Iron dwarven clan retook stormwind but forged it in their image and is now called Orzammar (lol) you get my picture.

and before you tell me "but population on the servers wouldn't work with every expansion being released" I call BS because there are thriving private server communities out there who seek blizz like standards and thrive just fine through their released content and who want to hang around, and you can see it with each expansion all the way up to mists. With the added benefit of the subscription most people would argue that it was worth the price to dabble in which ever expansion they choose. I for one LOVE the idea of being able play and progress through TBC and reliving my shaman totem dancing and mana management, and then popping over to live wow and be able to progress through the current story with all my beloved characters. Each expansion should receive a classic up to mists, and have a lead time of ~3 expansions. So after 10.0 releases, roll out wod, legion classic servers. obviously once vanilla is released, the numbers can show how many servers and what not are needed to maintain X size populations -- heck they can even see this if they get people from the Nostrolious showing their thriving community data.

On top of the subscription inclusion benefit, there is also the new "communities" that has great potential to keep players connected through diffrent servers, or game versions, allowing for there to be thriving communities of players made up of multiple guilds from X amount of game versions; 3 guilds on live, who have converged guilds on classic, classic tbc and classic wotlk for whoever wants to play those versions, and still wants to do something like progress through current content. while another guild is more casual but contributes players to the classic guilds. and so on and so forth.

TL;DR some players need incentive to play, some do not. some people want to experience change, some do not. Some players want to play it all, some, do not. blizzard should implement communities and achievements with rewards on classic expansion servers (Rewards for LIVE and the option to toggle these features UI elements for true classic play) and allow fluid gameplay through each iteration of the game with longer timed release of more recent content such as warlords+ all the player has to do is purchase the game, and pay the blanket subscription.
    Last edited by Zulazibah; 2018-03-14 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulazibah View Post
    TL;DR some players need incentive to play, some do not. some people want to experience change, some do not. Some players want to play it all, some, do not. blizzard should implement communities and achievements with rewards on classic expansion servers and allow fluid gameplay through each iteration of the game with longer timed release of more recent content such as warlords+ all the player has to do is purchase the game, and pay the blanket subscription.
    Sweet baby Jesus. No.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ok i dont want changes
    what i do want though is a few simple things.

1. i am fine with acehvies, i dont want em or not want em, i think they would be good but also bad.

2. i want mogs, and mounts, pets, toys, etc to be added to your main game, to allow for people to rightfully earn things they might not have even been alive to earn!

3. scarab lord is the only thing i request be changed. Scarab lord was the work of a guild, 40 people weeks of work, and all for one person, i dont know quite how, but they need to make it guild wide, maybe have a repeatable quest to hand in 100 of the fragments, once X (cant remember i think it was like 20,000?) are handed in, the quest completes, hand in 250 and you are then entered into the list of people who will get the mount.
    Or simply make it so eveeryone can do the quest, get the dragon head it is given to everyone, get the fragments give them to everyone, so that instead of 40 people working for 1 person, it is 40 people working for 40 people.

i dont want acheivments to give rewards on classic, they could give rewards to current wow maybe? along the lines of what i said above, no longer obtainable mounts, pets, mogs, toys. but i dont want the real classic to be changed much, if at all (other then scarab lord)

Btw yes i did scarab lord when it was current, twice, farmed from when i got home from school, till well past bed time, helping the Gm and his wife get the mounts, but do i have anything to show for it? lol fuck no

also what do you mean by communities?
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2018-03-14 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by Orange in the Streets View Post
    Sweet baby Jesus. No.
    Why? if you can toggle them off in your classic experience, what does it hurt for the live rewards?

7+ Year Old Account
    Why? if you can toggle them off in your classic experience, what does it hurt for the live rewards?
    you didnt make it clear you meant rewards for "current" servers
    if that is what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    you didnt make it clear you meant rewards for "current" servers
    if that is what you mean?
    I added rewards with LIVE to my TL;DR i guess i forgot to summarize that after just explaining it to death in the previous paragraphs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

also what do you mean by communities?

the new BFA communities feature

7+ Year Old Account
    I added rewards with LIVE to my TL;DR i guess i forgot to summarize that after just explaining it to death in the previous paragraphs.

- - - Updated - - -

the new BFA communities feature
    eh i guess im fine with that.

Deleted
    What this is is a "remaster" that can present the opportunity to receive rewards for the current live version of WoW.
    No. The rewards you earn on a character belong to that character. It's the R in MMORPG. When you start connecting things to the player/account instead of the character, you break the immersion and the role-playing aspect of the game.

This would not only give a reward to the people already planning on playing -- but the intrigue for the players who are either bored, or weren't interested before they knew it could affect their live subscription and thus receiving achievement AND reward alike.
    Players that are not interested in the vanilla experience for the sake of the experience should not be incentivized to play Classic. It will just draw in people that will not be happy with the game and just want the rewards for another game, which will have a negative impact on the Classic community.

Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    Players that are not interested in the vanilla experience for the sake of the experience should not be incentivized to play Classic. It will just draw in people that will not be happy with the game and just want the rewards for another game, which will have a negative impact on the Classic community.
    QFT. I only want people in my classic who love playing classic because it's classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    No. The rewards you earn on a character belong to that character. It's the R in MMORPG. When you start connecting things to the player/account instead of the character, you break the immersion and the role-playing aspect of the game.

I beg to differ. You should be able to choose whether you want your 'stuff' to be shared with another character or not. Heritage is a thing in the game. Exhibit a: anduin wrynn doing jackshit for his entire life and somehow ending up as the high king of the alliance (a non hereditary, military rank) just because his papa got vaporized by gul'dan.

I see no reason why PCs should be exempt from that.
    Last edited by h4rr0d; 2018-03-15 at 09:30 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    I beg to differ. You should be able to choose whether you want your 'stuff' to be shared with another character or not.
    In an RPG it's not your stuff (as in the real-world you), it's the character's stuff. Your character can of course choose to give away its stuff to another character in the same world, whether that's your other character or someone else's character. The character's stuff must not replicate or be transferable between worlds (i.e., no account bound stuff), because that breaks immersion and the R of RPGs.

With all the politics aside, lets assume that this will be a fairly well balanced release of the game with a few servers that have most the features people want.
    On top of the subscription inclusion benefit, there is also the new "communities" that has great potential to keep players connected through diffrent servers, or game versions, allowing for there to be thriving communities of players made up of multiple guilds from X amount of game versions; 3 guilds on live, who have converged guilds on classic, classic tbc and classic wotlk for whoever wants to play those versions, and still wants to do something like progress through current content. while another guild is more casual but contributes players to the classic guilds. and so on and so forth.
    I'm not sure why you slipped that in, but I honestly doubt there will be special servers with different features (multiple versions of the same game essentially).

It is classic. There are no extra features to add. I agree that it is a remastered version, in the sense that much of the original code is being rewritten for modern software support libraries and such, along with new security features. However to me, there is a difference between remastered and reworked. Classics such as Superman and Aliens were remastered (and made even more beautiful). Star Wars ep4-6 were reworked - and while there was initial popularity at the box office, those versions of SW became quite forgettable, and substandard to the originals.

To other parts of your post, I think Blizzard will likely add a Feat of Strength for Buying / Installing Classic WoW, to be included only in current-WoW. Blizzard tends to do this whenever someone uses their other products, or spends money with their company. I really don't feel strongly one way or another I guess. There are much more atrocious topics like adding tokens, or QoL nonsense.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2018-03-15 at 01:44 PM.

i have to say no to anything in classic to affect curent wow and vice versa.
    too much room for crappy behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    TL;DR some players need incentive to play, some do not. some people want to experience change, some do not. Some players want to play it all, some, do not. blizzard should implement communities and achievements with rewards on classic expansion servers (Rewards for LIVE and the option to toggle these features UI elements for true classic play) and allow fluid gameplay through each iteration of the game with longer timed release of more recent content such as warlords+ all the player has to do is purchase the game, and pay the blanket subscription.
    But, the whole premise of classic is their incentive to play. The bringing back of the old to create a museum is what their incentive should be. That is why thousands chanted for classic.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    But, the whole premise of classic is their incentive to play. The bringing back of the old to create a museum is what their incentive should be. That is why thousands chanted for classic.
    in the real world, the reason publicly traded companies hire new employees for a project is to make money.

Are you arguing Bobby Kotick has gone 'sentimental?'
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    in the real world, the reason publicly traded companies hire new employees for a project is to make money.

Are you arguing Bobby Kotick has gone 'sentimental?'
    Unsure if you misquoted or not. My point is, your initial incentive with classic is to play classic, that is why it is brought back, because people chanted for classic - easy business.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..