Thread: Troll fur

Troll fur

Is troll fur...still canonical? If so, do we ever get any indication on how thick it is? I mean we see blemishes and muscle definition on them, so it can't be that thick.
    Jungle trolls' bodies are covered in short, soft fur which cause them to appear purple or gray. However, their range of color is even broader as many appear in shades of blue as well as tints of green.

Technically yes, although the current models ingame lean more on the furless side of things. Can't show off them intimidating muscles with all that fur getting in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Is troll fur...still canonical? If so, do we ever get any indication on how thick it is? I mean we see blemishes and muscle definition on them, so it can't be that thick.
    I think it was mentioned in Shadows of the Horde and it’s not thick at all.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Technically humans are covered in hairs too - very thin, but I've known some weirdos who could easily pass as boar-men.

Deleted
    Well look at muscular breeds of dogs like Pitbulls. They got short, but plentiful fur that shows all of their muscle definition.

I was wondering this too. It was during some argument about furry races and I was looking it up where I could find details. It seemed that it was just relegated to one type of troll, but I have no idea what its consistency was.

I don't know much about trolls, to be honest.

I would say effectively non-canon. We just had a very HD rendering of a Jungle Troll in the cinematic trailer and there was no fur, just the rather typical leathery skin we see in game in most artwork. I wouldn't consider this a limitation either, they are fully capable of making the details like fine fur show up in that cinematic if they wanted too.

Last edited by Khaza-R; 2018-03-19 at 09:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Trolls evolve and adapt very quickly, it's possible the Darkspear adapted out of their light fur as part and parcel of their island lifestyle over a couple of generations - whereas the Gurubashi (the greater tribe they were once part of) still have it.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    The statement about fur in the old Compendium was last confirmed to still be canon in 2014 by the lore team, it just seems to be one of those things that is canon, but perhaps isn't well known out of the lore/story team as Trolls never seem to have their fur visually depicted, and they're the only furred race unable to change its color at the barber shop.

I see a lot of people theorize and compare it to "peach fuzz" but given the compendium stated it was dense enough that Trolls get their color from it I picture it being closer to horse fur.
    Last edited by Kufell; 2018-03-19 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kufell View Post
    The statement about fur in the old Compendium was last confirmed to still be canon in 2014 by the lore team, it just seems to be one of those things that is canon, but perhaps isn't well known out of the lore/story team as Trolls never seem to have their fur visually depicted, and they're the only furred race unable to change its color at the barber shop.

I see a lot of people theorize and compare it to "peach fuzz" but given the compendium stated it was dense enough that Trolls get their color from it I picture it being closer to horse fur.
    I find that a little weird too considering their lips are also depicted as blue/purple in most art.