Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Is ffxiv for casual players?

I hope I do not offend anyone by asking if ffxiv is for casual players, but I have 3 friends who are max level and haven't touched raiding, so i cant really get the whole picture of how many people are doing what.

When i say ''casual'' i mean if people see a point in raiding because the gear there is a lot stronger or in the end is it whatever?

how many people care about raiding? i mean its the 2nd biggest mmorpg right now

how linear is the end game if you ''only'' care about getting better gear and become more powerful? I get the feeling that people spend more time leveling all professions up and classes on 1 toon instead of grinding for pve gear?

Hope anyone can answer this. I played ffxiv at level 50 and i might have done wrong, but i found myself queue for 1-3 things that gave me currency for gear then just not knowing what to do.

Played it for two years straight, endgame is totally non existent, they add like 1 raid per xpac and that's it. The game mostly revolves around making transmog and spending gold on houses, for the rest of time you roleplay and level alt classes. And that's coming from someone who has made all the existing raids the moment they came out and was making progress pretty frequently.

seriously if you are in company of friends have fun with them, but on my experience there's not a single game i regret more playing than this one, it's not even comparable to wow.
    Last edited by plarpoon; 2018-03-17 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plarpoon View Post
    Played it for two years straight, endgame is totally non existent, they add like 1 raid per xpac and that's it. The game mostly revolves around making transmog and spending gold on houses, for the rest of time you roleplay and level alt classes. And that's coming from someone who has made all the existing raids the moment they came out and was making progress pretty frequently.

seriously if you are in company of friends have fun with them, but on my experience there's not a single game i regret more playing than this one, it's not even comparable to wow.
    That's absolutely false.

We get 3 24 man raids over the course of an expansion. Which are aimed at a more casual audience.

1 8 man raid that gets 3 wings over the course with Savage modes for the player who wants a challenge.

And most recently Ultimate. As well as an Extreme Primal every patch.

Endgame is most certainly existent.

To the OP. If you are a casual player you will have plenty to do outside of raiding.

Gold Saucer, Hunts, Eureka, PvP, Crafting, Gathering and so on. As a newer player you could go back and find a group willing to do Minimum item level fights if you want a good challenge.

While the best gear comes from Savage raiding I don't see an issue with that. The best gear should come from the hardest content. With the exception of the Relic stuff at the end of an expansion.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-03-17 at 09:42 PM.

I joined the game a few months ago, but I am stuck on going through the Realm reborn main story quests. I am halfway through the level 50+ quests of realm reborn with 70 hours played and that was with a 100% xp boost for playing on a certain server so I didn't have to do ANY side quests. I can't imagine having to actually level and do the MSQ without the 100% xp boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    That's absolutely false.

We get 3 24 man raids over the course of an expansion. Which are aimed at a more casual audience.
    This is absolutely false, you get 1 single raid, divided in 3 courses of 3 wings and another scenario that on FF is called Raid even tho you can access it only via LFR (not premade groups) and you can do it only on 24 man.

Yeah, it's indeed true that it is directed to a more casual audience as difficulty is many times lower than WoW LFR

BTW, when we say raid we are actually talking not about raids but single room arena with just 1 boss for 1 wing. So when i say you have 3 courses of 3 wings i actually mean about 9 bosses (sometimes more, sometimes less). Don't expect anything more than battle happening in there, it's just that.

Primals are again 1 arena with 1 boss, and you just have to memorize the pattern and DPS check, again, maximum difficulty is less then our heroic. And so i re-affirm, error 404 endgame not found.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is absolutely false, you get 1 single raid, divided in 3 courses of 3 wings and another scenario that on FF is called Raid even tho you can access it only via LFR (not premade groups) and you can do it only on 24 man.

Yeah, it's indeed true that it is directed to a more casual audience as difficulty is many times lower than WoW LFR

BTW, when we say raid we are actually talking not about raids but single room arena with just 1 boss for 1 wing. So when i say you have 3 courses of 3 wings i actually mean about 9 bosses (sometimes more, sometimes less). Don't expect anything more than battle happening in there, it's just that.

Primals are again 1 arena with 1 boss, and you just have to memorize the pattern and DPS check, again, maximum difficulty is less then our heroic. And so i re-affirm, error 404 endgame not found.
    So you think it's not hard, which isn't the same thing as non-existent.

OT: It's there, but not terribly difficult.

That was actually more to address things Eleccybubb sayed but didn't clear up, the main point is that the game is not hard so you end quickly its raids ecc.. ecc.. but you have nothing to do after. Seriously, it's all roleplay and transmog.
    Last edited by plarpoon; 2018-03-17 at 10:05 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's for casuals and hardcores.

You see, they still play but also don't raid, which means that the game has enough activities outside raiding - casual and hardcore.
    But, there's still raiding if they are into that type of thing - keep in mind that raiding will always be less popular than the regular open world adventure in a mmorpg, because group content in mmorpgs is harder to organize (not saying it's hard at all).

This has lots of misinformation. Not good for the discussion. At least use facts instead of bullshit when posting, dude. I'm glad that Eleccybubb corrected this.
    Last edited by A Chozo; 2018-03-17 at 10:06 PM.

Uh no.

You get 3 24 man raids. A raid is a raid. No disputing it.

You get 1 8 man raid separated over 3 wings with Savage Modes.

Ultimate is most certainly progression raiding since it requires the current Savage Tier completed to even enter.

And if Extreme is below Heroic as you say then yes I'd consider that a small raid.

Raiding is raiding. Just because one kind is easier doesn't change the fact. Or because another game does it differently.

That post was my experience with the game and i actually can't see any misinformation in it, feel free to correct the point you think i'm lacking or wrong if you see any.

That post was my experience with the game and i actually can't see any misinformation in it, feel free to correct the point you think i'm lacking or wrong if you see any.
    You said there was only 1 raid. The misinformation is right there.

Again 3 24 mans. A raid is a raid. You finding it easy doesn't dispute that fact.

1 8 man over usually 3 wings with a second mode.

Ultimate which right now only has one fight and we should get another in 4.3 since it was only introduced for the first time in 4.1. And also requires the current Savage Tier cleared to even enter.

EX Primals which can be considered on par with a Normal raid boss in WoW.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-03-17 at 10:10 PM.

Crazy. When I played ff14 it almost forced some raiding on you. It has a great queuing system for more difficulties than LFR. It's a game that can be casual - but the raiding is very easy to get into. imo.

You said there was only 1 raid. The misinformation is right there.
    I actually was answering to the post above you, my bad i didn't quote..

anyway yes, that's 1 raid, just because they call raid something enterily different it doesn't make it a raid. It's a scenario. Then you can use whatever word you want but to give an example to someone who is coming from WoW that's the best explaination possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I joined the game a few months ago, but I am stuck on going through the Realm reborn main story quests. I am halfway through the level 50+ quests of realm reborn with 70 hours played and that was with a 100% xp boost for playing on a certain server so I didn't have to do ANY side quests. I can't imagine having to actually level and do the MSQ without the 100% xp boost.
    When ARR was current FATES kept the exp up, or if you were a crafter you would geind enemies you knew you would need drops of for crafting. Exp wasnt super fast but was not hard at all, i’d give it about the same as leveling through vanilla early wrath, much faster than in vanilla or bc but slower than wod/legion(hierlooms before 7.3.5)

I never played heavensward but i did play arr from beta(quit wow same week i got lego cae in timeless isle on halujaden-darkspear)
    Quit...arr idk when...i remember shiva ramuh moogle king...i think third coil of bahamut, after they came out with crafting daily quests...in zone nw of a main city, south of an icy zone..ugh but its been years... they had crafting gloves as a reward?

Thing i loved about arr was market board(AH) and crafting, i did do primals, carry people through turn 1 and 2 on coils with either pld or whm, just for fun heh, help people get their relics etc, i did quit before heavensward for wod...

There was an end game with new dungeons and raids being patched in, quicker releases than wow even at the time.i may eventually go back to ffxiv,

But yeah...crafting wasnt just press a button and win, its so much of a minigame in and of itself you would have to find a video
    Your crafting mats had a durability, and quality, you work between increasing quality and completion to the finish bar, while limited by how much energy you have (cp) you would craft gear to have higher cp/completion bonuses, to make the same gear hq, so you could craft a new weapon(think like a mining pick, but for crafting, so sewing needles mortars n pedestals for alchemy etc) so you could craft hq pve gear and sell that to people, or sell hq crafting armor.

And it was really one toon fits all classes and professions, one character could be anything you wanted. An altoholics dream

There are storylines inside of storylines especially when doing side quests, you have main class quests every 5... or was it 10 levels, that actually had story to it, not like the generic monk quests, you had profession quests, you had a questing hub for daily quests that was pretty fun, dungeon quests including cinemas for each(though most pug groups dont want to wait, i see the same in lower/upper kara all the time) not sure if main storyline is tied to the dungeons still, but used to have to complete increasingly challenging dungeons just to work on main storyline. People didnt get to max level knowing jack about xyz dungeon. Whether they were good or not is anoher matter, never cared myself. I was estatic when they came out with bonuses for high demand classes in ffxiv’s version of lfd
    Not sure why i quit tbh, well was for a wow expansion wod likely...selling a revenped bc thatll be as awesome as bc!...lies...dragonsoul was out so long cata got boring even with the molten front, but wod felt that way all the way through, felt like a job rather than a game

Oops, though implied i didnt really answer the op, said plainly, ffxiv is as casual or hc as you want it to be,
    and with ilvl limits on the easier content no one truely hc has an advantage, unless youre going into ex/savage modes, you would have to work your gear up to be competitive just like everyone else
    Last edited by Christan; 2018-03-17 at 10:15 PM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Crazy. When I played ff14 it almost forced some raiding on you. It has a great queuing system for more difficulties than LFR. It's a game that can be casual - but the raiding is very easy to get into. imo.
    It kind of did with the Relic since Light Farming was most optimally done through the relic.

But as a casual player you can easily get by with Tomestone/Dungeon gear.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually was answering to the post above you, my bad i didn't quote..

anyway yes, that's 1 raid, just because they call raid something enterily different it doesn't make it a raid. It's a scenario.
    And no there is not 1 raid. Enough with the minsinformation. Your definition of raid is an opinion. Nothing more.

There are also 3 24 mans, A fight that requires raid progression to even enter and EX Primals. Just because you think 24 mans are "too easy" does not change the fact they are a raid.

Just because you don't want to call it a raid doesn't change the fact.

It kind of did with the Relic since Light Farming was most optimally done through the relic.
    And no there is not 1 raid.

There are also 3 24 mans, A fight that requires raid progression to even enter and EX Primals. Just because you think 24 mans are "too easy" does not change the fact they are a raid.

Just because you don't want to call it a raid doesn't change the fact.
    It actually does if the whole point of this conversation is explaining what it is to someone who has another concept of raid.

It actually does if the whole point of this conversation is explaining what it is to someone who has another concept of raid.
    No it really doesn't.

All you are doing is posting misinformation about how many raids there are ingame because of what you believe one should be.

Now for the last time.

There is one 8 man raid with 3 wings. Each wing is usually released every 6 months with a Savage Mode.

Every odd patch since 4.1 has an Ultimate Fight which requires the current savage tier to be completed and syncs your item level to the average ilvl of the time it was released. Example being Coil syncs you to 345 so you can never outgear it. This fight is intended for raiders otherwise it wouldn't be gated by raiding.

Every patch has an EX Primal which can be considered equal to a Normal Boss on WoW. Now considering HC players use this at the start to get a good weapon I'd consider it part of their early progression raiding.
    Especially considering the only alternative is to farm 1k of a currency which cannot be done until week 3 at most. Along with the 2nd or 3rd boss of a Savage Raid which while can be done week 1 is worthless without the 1k currency needed for the tokens.

Every odd patch releases one 24 man raid which is aimed at a more casual audience. It's still a raid regardless of whether you think it is or not. And no it's not a "scenario". It's listed quite clearly under the Raids section and even has it's own roulette for the older ones listed as "Alliance Raids".

That is the fact of the endgame of FF14 in terms of group content and raiding. As a more hardcore player you would want to be looking at Savage or Ultimate. As a casual player all that content is there for you. You can choose what you want to do.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-03-17 at 10:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it really doesn't.

All you are doing is posting misinformation about how many raids there are ingame because of what you believe one should be.

Now for the last time.

There is one 8 man raid with 3 wings. Each wing is usually released every 6 months with a Savage Mode.

Every odd patch since 4.1 has an Ultimate Fight which requires the current savage tier to be completed.

Every patch has an EX Primal which can be considered equal to a Normal Boss on WoW.

Every odd patch releases one 24 man raid which is aimed at a more casual audience.

That is the fact of the endgame of FF14 in terms of group content and raiding.
    Arent 24 mans in ffxiv considered full raids, while 8 mans are considered full parties?
    He is wrong both by sentiment and in game facts
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    Arent 24 mans in ffxiv considered full raids, while 8 mans are considered full parties?
    He is wrong both by sentiment and in game facts
    24 mans are considered "Alliance Raids".

8 mans are considered full parties but also for that game raiding. Hell the hardest content is currently 8 man and part of their progression as it requires clearing the current savage raid.

People need to stop using WoWs definition of raiding as the benchmark for every other damn game. Every game has it's own definition.

Saying the 8 man in FF14 is the only raid is an absolute lie. Period.

No it really doesn't.
    I've clearly proven my point with facts instead of just blindly denying something, anyway, another problem that made me left that game you reminded me is the childish behaviour of it's playerbase, but that's OT so i will gladely leave now. I've made pretty clear already that the game is not so wonderful as it's fan describes it and it hasn't got any endgame whatsoever.