Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is RT, Russian's propoganda machine?

The news organisation "Russia Today" abbr="RT" is known for as a propaganda machine for the Russians/Putin?

I don't know, which I ask. I watch them daily, but I noticed a pattern where RT is showing small clips of good things that happen around Russia, I guess it can be the part of Russian propaganda to show Russia in a better light, but still, are the news twisted etc, should I avoid watching them?

Just like CNN is a propaganda tool for the US and BBC for UK. But you can watch all three of them, and form your own opinion. Unless you are in North Korea.

Are you the new Jayburner or something? All your threads feel... off.

Quote Originally Posted by skidfromsteamwheedlecarte View Post
    The news organisation "Russia Today" abbr="RT" is known for as a propaganda machine for the Russians/Putin?

I don't know, which I ask. I watch them daily, but I noticed a pattern where RT is showing small clips of good things that happen around Russia, I guess it can be the part of Russian propaganda to show Russia in a better light, but still, are the news twisted etc, should I avoid watching them?
    RT is a well known piece of the Russian propaganda machine. Why watch them at all when there are so many better news sources?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alkyd View Post
    Just like CNN is a propaganda tool for the US and BBC for UK. But you can watch all three of them, and form your own opinion. Unless you are in North Korea.
    CNN and the BBC are not comparable to RT; that is a false equivalency and classic whataboutism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Well, I want the freedom to put poison in food and sell it to anyone I want and call it sugar. It's my freedom to do so, so you can't tell me no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyman64 View Post
    CNN and the BBC are not comparable to RT; that is a false equivalency and classic whataboutism.
    CNN literally stages political events under the guise of being an 'honest conversation' or a 'debate'. In the 2016 election, they were literally rigging debates by leaking questions to one campaign. They have also engaged in intimidation campaigns against private citizens who posted memes online. Yeah it isn't even comparable, if RT was as bad as CNN, they would be kicked out of the country.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

RT is literally run by the Kremlin. NEVER watch RT, unless for the shear comedy.

CNN is a private company. The BBC is a public-owned company funded by British taxes, yet is completely independent and autonomous.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2018-03-18 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyman64 View Post
    CNN and the BBC are not comparable to RT
    RT would have to stage events and retract clickbait stories 24/7 to be comparable with CNN and BBC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alkyd View Post
    You're comparing CNN and the BBC with Russia Today?

Deleted
    How can you compare the BBC to the bastions of journalism that is CNN and RT.

They produce some quality content like clickbait articles about how the Bible was true with some new obscure discovery and how Vladimir Putin stood in the rain for 4 hours for one dead soldier. Y'know, quality content.

Quote Originally Posted by skidfromsteamwheedlecarte View Post

Yes they are, next question?

Is water wet?

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    CNN literally stages political events under the guise of being an 'honest conversation' or a 'debate'. In the 2016 election, they were literally rigging debates by leaking questions to one campaign. They have also engaged in intimidation campaigns against private citizens who posted memes online. Yeah it isn't even comparable, if RT was as bad as CNN, they would be kicked out of the country.
    Considering Fox News gave Trump debate questions, you have to stop bringing that shit up. CNN isn't as bad as RT. So, you are just ass backwards as usual.

Basically, the same as BBC and CNN / FOX. They heavily push their own agenda. Do not believe a word if anyone says that any of them are independent. All are affiliated with a certain political entity. You can google for censorship stories and controversies. For example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_co...gagging_orders
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...a-manipulation
    Whatever the accuracy, or lack thereof, of RT and whatever its actual impact on western audiences, one of the problems with these kinds of arguments is that they fall straight into the trap of presenting media that are aligned with official adversaries as inherently propagandistic and deceitful, while the output of “our” media is presumed to be objective and truthful. Moreover, the impression given is that our governments engage in truthful “public relations”, “strategic communication” and “public diplomacy” while the Russians lie through “propaganda”.
    Neither of these claims has significant academic support. A substantial body of research conducted over many decades highlights the proximity between western news media and their respective governments, especially in the realm of foreign affairs. For reasons that include overreliance on government officials as news sources, economic constraints, the imperatives of big business and good old-fashioned patriotism, mainstream western media frequently fail to meet democratic expectations regarding independence. - Piers Robinson, Department of Journalism Studies, University of Sheffield.
    And that is putting it very mildly.
    If we hit Iraq now, we would lose the entire Arab world, Russia, probably half the EU... I am sure we can devise a strategy for Saddam deliverable at a later date... a dedicated tightly knit propaganda unit is required... - Tony Blair, British Prime Minister to Jeorge W. Bush in a private note.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2018-03-18 at 09:15 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Unless it's the DNC's own press release I suspect that in today's climate it will be considered evil Ruski propaganda.

To be fair though RT probably is under the influence of the Russian State fairly heavily and anything you read has to be taken with that in mind.
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2018-03-18 at 09:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I imagine most people would say yes, but I remember around the time that Cataclysm was out, it was a favorite source for this forum when it came to America bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Shhhhhhhhhhh, those things should remain forgotten on this forum.

This is a good example of what Russian trolls are paid to do. They want you to think that bad stuff is on both sides. So in this case they want you to think that CNN, RT, FOX, and whatever other news outlets are all just the same with bias.

This way you can keep getting your lies and propaganda from places like RT or breitbart and think that you're doing just fine compared to people who read the Washington Post or watch BBC.

Moscow Times is a better source of news from Russia

Did you know, that you can not display giant yellow ducks in Russia

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/infl...ist-jail-60633

A St. Petersburg activist has been handed a stint behind bars for displaying an inflated duck from an apartment window during a protest last month.

The yellow duck has come to symbolize corruption in Russia after opposition leader Alexei Navalny’s high-profile 2016 investigation into Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev’s alleged summer home suggested that it included an exclusive home for ducks.

Last edited by Blobfish; 2018-03-18 at 09:52 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post
    Moscow Times is a better source of news from Russia

Did you know, that you can not display giant yellow ducks in Russia

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/infl...ist-jail-60633

A St. Petersburg activist has been handed a stint behind bars for displaying an inflated duck from an apartment window during a protest last month.

The yellow duck has come to symbolize corruption in Russia after opposition leader Alexei Navalny’s high-profile 2016 investigation into Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev’s alleged summer home suggested that it included an exclusive home for ducks.

Lol, didnt know a yellow duck symbolized corruption in Russia too.

In 2016, a giant yellow duck was a pretty common sight in the protests here in Brazil against corruption.