Poll: what patch system to go with?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

what patch system should they go with?

is it a progression system for content?
    a progression system for the whole game just like vanilla did?
    a certain static patch?
    a static patch with progression patches for content only?
    a franken patch with elements from all of vanilla?
    something else?

vote in the poll. sorry if i forget an option. ill put an other button that you can click as well.

we need to have this discussion. dont just spam no changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    is it a progression system for content?
    a progression system for the whole game just like vanilla did?
    a certain static patch?
    a static patch with progression patches for content only?
    a franken patch with elements from all of vanilla?
    something else?

vote in the poll. sorry if i forget an option. ill put an other button that you can click as well.

we need to have this discussion. dont just spam no changes.
    Ideally I would love to see a full progression patch, corresponding not only to content available to explore / group / raid, but also to talents/abilities that were available during that particular patch 1.x.

Blizzard eluded to wanting to make Vanilla big and spectacular, speaking of it requiring time because it needed a Blizzard launch.

HOWEVER...

It's vague. I'm thinking Blizzard will choose the cheap route and just do 1 patch, likely 1.12. If they do content progression 1.1 to 1.12, while operating under 1.12 talents, that might be a good enough miracle. But it's still alot of work. And I really don't know how invested they would like to be. They want Vanilla to operate as a historic symbol of their company as long as WoW servers continue to operate. I'm not sure whether they want a dynamic game, or a static one.

SRC:
    Are you expecting players to come back to vanilla WOW and properly invest in that game, or just have a look around for nostalgia's sake?

J. Allen Brack: Both, I think. One of the things we do know is that by announcing this, we're in the WOW Classic business forever. Once that starts, there's a commitment on our end that we're going to continue maintaining those servers for as long as there is a World of Warcraft. I think there will be people that come and do the nostalgia trip, they go to the Barrens and find Mankrik's wife, and then they're done. That's fine. Some amount of people, however, are going to create a new Classic community and that's what we'll be providing.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-big-questions

Realistically, I'm tickled they are even making Vanilla. The only way they can screw this up is to make it feel unVanilla-like, with their remastered recoded rendition. Or add cashshops. Or Tokens. Or Non-Vanilla QoL. Or balance classes. It will be a sad day if they screw this up -- but how they do patches will not likely be much of a problem. Hell, private servers do content progression, while using 1.12 talents/abilities during the whole ride. And they are fun, although much easier. Blizzard can at a minimum do the same and get away with it.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2018-03-18 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Ideally I would love to see a full progression patch, corresponding not only to content available to explore / group / raid, but also to talents/abilities that were available during that particular patch 1.x.

Blizzard eluded to wanting to make Vanilla big and spectacular, speaking of it requiring time because it needed a Blizzard launch.

HOWEVER...

It's vague. I'm thinking Blizzard will choose the cheap route and just do 1 patch, likely 1.12. If they do content progression 1.1 to 1.12, while operating under 1.12 talents, that might be a good enough miracle. But it's still alot of work. And I really don't know how invested they would like to be. They want Vanilla to operate as a historic symbol of their company as long as WoW servers continue to operate. I'm not sure whether they want a dynamic game, or a static one.

SRC:
    Are you expecting players to come back to vanilla WOW and properly invest in that game, or just have a look around for nostalgia's sake?

J. Allen Brack: Both, I think. One of the things we do know is that by announcing this, we're in the WOW Classic business forever. Once that starts, there's a commitment on our end that we're going to continue maintaining those servers for as long as there is a World of Warcraft. I think there will be people that come and do the nostalgia trip, they go to the Barrens and find Mankrik's wife, and then they're done. That's fine. Some amount of people, however, are going to create a new Classic community and that's what we'll be providing.

Realistically, I'm tickled they are even making Vanilla. The only way they can screw this up is to make it feel unVanilla-like, with their remastered recoded rendition. Or add cashshops. Or Tokens. Or Non-Vanilla QoL. Or balance classes. It will be a sad day if they screw this up -- but how they do patches will not likely be much of a problem. Hell, private servers do content progression, while using 1.12 talents/abilities during the whole ride. And they are fun, although much easier. Blizzard can at a minimum do the same and get away with it.
    ya i voted a progression system like vanilla. shouldve been more explicit with that one though. i meant just like vanilla.

if that is not on the cards i think at least maybe a static patch with progression patches for content only would be my second choice.

lastly i would choose a franken patch with elements from all of vanilla so they could add the buffs or nerfs if they wanted that were only from vanilla . that would be a compromise on the class balance issue but i see it as more of a realistic one that would include or get rid of a change that all was in vanilla.

7+ Year Old Account
    Like in vanilla. Start on 1.1 end on 1.12
    Legion is the worst expansion
    BFA=Blizzard Failed Again
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment..._google_trend/

Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    ya i voted a progression system like vanilla. shouldve been more explicit with that one though. i meant just like vanilla.

if that is not on the cards i think at least maybe a static patch with progression patches for content only would be my second choice.

lastly i would choose a franken patch with elements from all of vanilla so they could add the buffs or nerfs if they wanted that were only from vanilla . that would be a compromise on the class balance issue but i see it as more of a realistic one that would include or get rid of a change that all was in vanilla.
    One consideration with the progression system would be how all patches become consumable, right up to the end. Some players prefer particular portions, and once they are gone, they are indeed gone. Some will start late, even with a recreation of Classic.

Would Blizzard launch new servers every so often, to give those who missed out a chance to start at the beginning? Or for those who prefer a certain patch? Or for those who just like the term "F R E S H" (actually a buzzword)? Would Blizzard be willing to maintain servers at different patch progression states?

Then there is of course, The Burning Crusade! Which would be the next patch after 1.12. Blizzard would be opening a can of worms with full progression + multiple server states, as 2.x are the successors to 1.12. I believe Blizzard is scratching their heads over this too, which is at least partially why I'm thinking they will go cheap & simple.

But hey, I still like the idea of full progression I don't want to demand it however, because it causes alot of hair loss for Blizzard staff.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2018-03-18 at 09:07 PM.

One consideration with the progression system would be how all patches become consumable, right up to the end. Some players prefer particular portions, and once they are gone, they are indeed gone. Some will start late, even with a recreation of Classic.

Would Blizzard launch new servers every so often, to give those who missed out a chance to start at the beginning? Or for those who prefer a certain patch? Or for those who just like the term "F R E S H" (actually a buzzword)? Would Blizzard be willing to maintain servers at different patch progression states?

Then there is of course, The Burning Crusade! Which would be the next patch after 1.12. Blizzard would be opening a can of worms with full progression + multiple server states, as 2.x are the successors to 1.12. I believe Blizzard is scratching their heads over this too, which is at least partially why I'm thinking they will go cheap & simple.

But hey, I still like the idea of full progression I don't want to demand it however, because it causes alot of hair loss for Blizzard staff.
    the reason i listed the options i did is partially what i want and partially cause theyve said they dont want to run 2 mmos. having the game in different states on different servers would be a monumental task.

the most we could hope for if this is what they are thinking is a static patch with maybe progressive content patches on a set schedule but im voting for the most ideal thing i can think of.

any more replies to this ? it is important we discuss this .

In a perfect world I'd like to see it start off from scratch like the original but I wouldn't have any complaints if they went with the standard 1.12 route though either.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to have a "frankenpatch", i.e. a collection of the small (and sometimes not so small) changes that turned the mess of the 1.1 and 1.2 days into an awesome game, while at the same time avoiding the overbuff across the board that came with 1.11 and 1.12. Although Naxx ought to be somewhat nerfed in that case...

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I'd like to have a "frankenpatch", i.e. a collection of the small (and sometimes not so small) changes that turned the mess of the 1.1 and 1.2 days into an awesome game, while at the same time avoiding the overbuff across the board that came with 1.11 and 1.12. Although Naxx ought to be somewhat nerfed in that case...
    Your in Luck! Naxx was 1.11

Patch 1.11: Shadow of the Necropolis

Patch notes Release date (US) Version Interface .toc Highlights & notes
    Patch 1.11 20 June 2006 5428 11100
    Patch 1.11.1 28 June 2006 5462 11100
    Patch 1.11.2 11 July 2006 5464 11100

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patches/1.x

HOWEVER...

SRC:

Tokens are coming as other than the monthly subscription there will be no money coming in from it. This adds 33% more money for every region when they sell a token. It is basically printing money and it keeps the gold sellers out of the market.

It will be one patch as they are doing this to make money and secondly protect their IP. It will likely be a suedo 1.12 patch with some QoL changes(they have been listed in other threads ad nauseam) that are not overly intrusive to game play(I am not suggesting LFR, raid finder, etc), i am not sure about balancing other than increasing the debuff limit as it was more a limit due to peoples computers and server hardware than anything else and would fix balance for a couple of classes.

Unless there is time release content you will see all content cleared in 6-8 months by hardcore guilds. With the current mentality of WoW players you are going to see split runs with alts happening, especially if tap leveling exists in the game. You could get a player from 30-60 in 12 hours if you had a group doing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    In a perfect world I'd like to see it start off from scratch like the original but I wouldn't have any complaints if they went with the standard 1.12 route though either.
    Stating at 1.1 is not plausible with how terrible the game was. Some classes were so bad that they were not playable, it was a rushed release that needed many changes. Also the sheer volume of bugs in the game then was ridiculous.

There is no need to patch anything. Pick a version and stick with that.

Quote Originally Posted by HordeFanboy View Post
    See above. do you even know what that means? Vanilla was a mediocre game that was something new for many people, 1.1 was complete trash and there is a reason why 1.1.1 came out a week after launch and was followed by 1.2 a month later. With 1.2 there was multiple releases that fixed performance issues......I guess you want all that terrible performance too from 1.2? 1.3 was the first actual stable patch that had some actual steady game play and that was not buggy as shit. But still had many exploitable features.......Oh I guess you want them to fix all of those too.......take ytou head out of your rectum if you think that they will have anything but a static patch with (possibly some trickle content release, but that is to keep player playing and milking money our of that player base)

Oh there will also be sharding.....have fun.

5+ Year Old Account
    Like Nostalrius.

Client patch (Talents): 1.12.1 from the start but with progressive content release.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Stating at 1.1 is not plausible with how terrible the game was. Some classes were so bad that they were not playable, it was a rushed release that needed many changes. Also the sheer volume of bugs in the game then was ridiculous.
    Which classes did you consider "not playable?" I'm all for them removing bugs but saying the game is a very silly statement. Just an FYI, I don't really think anyone is saying that the game should be released with all of the same bugs as it originally had.

I'll enlighten this thread thoroughly.

Blizzard releases last patch with first patch content. Easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeFanboy View Post
    I doubt this will happen

Which classes did you consider "not playable?" I'm all for them removing bugs but saying the game is a very silly statement. Just an FYI, I don't really think anyone is saying that the game should be released with all of the same bugs as it originally had.
    Did you play 1.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Did you play 1.1?
    Yup, played since launch, at no point back then did I feel it was unplayable.

Yup, played since launch, at no point back then did I feel it was unplayable.
    There's a big difference between unplayable and unenjoyable. I don't want to play with bugs that have been known about since 2004. I don't expect gameplay changes but i do expect a smooth relatively bug free game.