Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which spec to main for rest of legion

Decided to start preparing as if i'm going to main lock for bfa. Have not played my lock much in legion. Looking for a well rounded spec that can myth+, pvp, and raid. I would prefer to not play affliction if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    You'd prefer not to play the best spec, who excels at everything you want to do, then.

Afflict-

Quote Originally Posted by MNoggle81 View Post
    I would prefer to not play affliction if possible.
    Welp. Reroll mage then.

I would prefer to not play affliction if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    desto, demo is a bit of and odd spec and destro is doing well atm

Decided to start preparing as if i'm going to main lock for bfa. Have not played my lock much in legion. Looking for a well rounded spec that can myth+, pvp, and raid. I would prefer to not play affliction if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Right now what you just described was affliction, you'll have a harder time with the other 2 specs.

Personally I'm just playing destro because I don't enjoy the other two specs atm, but I'm hardly playing at all these days so.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Going with affliction. Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

Affliction is good now, and IMO the upcoming changes look really good for BFA.

If you're considering BfA, worth noting that Destro probably changes the least. It loses a few relatively extraneous things like portals, but regarding core abilities it's the most similar. Both aff and demo gain new proc spells, with affliction's being a new filler in Shadowbolt.

That and with the actual nerfs that Aff has taken over the course of ANT, Destro has pulled a bit closer and even is the best choice on a few fights in ANT (Felhounds, Argus and prob another). As far as plus, well yeah you should be playing aff. You can get away with destro but do not expect high groups (talking 18+) to want a destro lock over an aff lock. Aff brings slows, great AOE and survivability that destro and demo does not have.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhayes96 View Post
    That and with the actual nerfs that Aff has taken over the course of ANT, Destro has pulled a bit closer and even is the best choice on a few fights in ANT (Felhounds, Argus and prob another). As far as plus, well yeah you should be playing aff. You can get away with destro but do not expect high groups (talking 18+) to want a destro lock over an aff lock. Aff brings slows, great AOE and survivability that destro and demo does not have.
    Can't really knock destros survivability though, their shield wall is 1min cd compared to aff being 3min.

All 3 lock specs are viable, but youll find some are better in certain situations than others.

PvP wise, destruction is overall the strongest ladder spec its consistent burst especially in double caster comps and 1 minute wall is OP

Raid wise, affliction is overall the strongest spec from a progression standpoint. Its very high self sustain and its busted on coven and felhounds while being decent even on its worse fights

Dungeon wise, they are all about equal in viability, but the higher you go affliction will shine better due to its better survivability and isnt as hindered by mechanics that require you to move like destruction is.

I didnt mention Demonology as the best of any of these, because its not, but its still aVERY strong spec. Its completely viable in pvp as its the only caster spec in game to provide the MS effect which makes it very strong in certain double caster comps ( I played shadow rsham demo to 2300 last season).

Demonology also has one of the best, if not THE best sustained stacked AoE with hand of guldan weaving once you get the legendary belt and wilfreds ring to constantly summons buffed infernals which can be unrivaled on teeming fortified mythic + weeks and just good in dungeons in general. Demonology is also the least affected by movement because you can use demonwrath on the move which is also in the rotation at 2+ targets. Demonology has the best control in PvP with axe toss and the fel lord burst/stuns and is the most tanky in pvp to raw damage due to soul leech + soul link and does super good vs double melee cleaves.

But demonology will struggle with stutterstep style movement like argus p4 or fire phase on mythic felhounds, and on adds that die too fast like eonar. Demonology is also very punishing to play wrong, demonic empowerment is annoying until you get used to it ( and still even then) and is the most gear reliant on haste more than the other lock specs. In PvP demonology is super sceptible to LoS and multi level enviroments where you pets have to path around like on temple of the white tiger arena.

TLDR, Play what you really want. All 3 lock specs are perfectly viable in Raids, Dungeons, and PvP. I prefer demo and I do well on it.

Destro, I started affliction but am loving destro now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Can't really knock destros survivability though, their shield wall is 1min cd compared to aff being 3min.
    Afflictions is a zero minute it's called Drain Soul.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Implying you can drain soul at any time

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Rofl. Drain soul can't safe you from oneshots.

7+ Year Old Account

Thanks in advance.
    "I am looking for the best spec out of the three specs i can play, but i refuse to play one of them"
    so legit you are just choosing 50/50.... wtf?
    dont play warlock then, affliction is by far the best, i still play demo as i have for most of wow, but fights like coven, dogs, portal, command, eonar, i play affliction.

- - - Updated - - -

lol siphon life, corruption heal. demon skin heal, once in awhile drain soul, you literally never take damage as affliction.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    lol siphon life, corruption heal. demon skin heal, once in awhile drain soul, you literally never take damage as affliction.
    Actually I looked at an argus log of me and the afflock in my guild at one point and during the entire pull we both took almost the exact same damage at the end of our mitigation. Basically I prevented a ton of damage from happening in the first place and he took like 150 mil more damage but self healed it so we both ended up taking the same amount of damage.

Aff's way of doing it is definitely more practical though.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

How can you be that wrong lol. Afflic survivability is unrivaled by far. They can run almost all raid without getting heals as their self heal keeps them to 115% all the time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    How can you be that wrong lol. Afflic survivability is unrivaled by far. They can run almost all raid without getting heals as their self heal keeps them to 115% all the time.
    When did i say destro has better survivability?