Thread: BFA Affliction

Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

BFA Affliction

Is affliction as tanky on alpha as it is in legion?

Deleted
    How is it tanky in legion?

as in they just don't die. very good self heals and resilience.

Affy is already our squishiest spec in terms of the damage it can take.

We have lost Drain Soul (unless it appears as a talent in the future) and multiple traits that give healing so it's unlikely we will currently survive as well. Of course a lot of things may change yet.

Drain life still exist and heals for a decent amount. You just can't do as much damage and heal at the same time like in legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    You compromise much more dmg for DL healing, so basically - no.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    You compromise much more dmg for DL healing, so basically - no.
    Lol, technically the answer is yes. Tanks don't do that much damage

Deleted
    No, you will have a spec that relies on self healing etc to survice that won;t have it, whilst other casters retain their ability to survive via mobilty and immunities like Blink and Ice Block.

Aff doesn;t need those as it massively self heals. But it won;t in BFA. Nor does it look like it's being compensated for that.

Aff will lose passive heals big time but no shocker there. Between grim of sac and sac pact you have 60/120 second defensives that combine every other use plus still UR. So we are better on big cooldown defensives but weaker on passive regen/healing. We also don’t spend as much life due to spell costs so that helps some but it’s far less than what live players are used to.

That said a nightfall build wouldn’t lose a ton if it swapped in DL for a few shadowbolts. PS is also a decent heal, especially on a crowd. I think pvp drain life should be uninteruptable or on a separate spell school for lockouts. Aff already carries 100% of its damage and CC in one spell school.

Quote Originally Posted by garonne View Post
    Drain life still exist and heals for a decent amount. You just can't do as much damage and heal at the same time like in legion.
    I hope the damage of DL and SB be really close to each other so I will be like in 4.0 where you can choose between using DL or SB as a filler, as SB doesn't do anything apart from damage (I know dev wants to take away passive healing from us but at least let we use DL as an alternative when we need healing without losing much dps)
    Last edited by Ibanism; 2018-03-21 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibanism View Post
    I hope the damage of DL and SB be really close to each other so I will be like in 4.0 where you can choose between using DL or SB as a filler, as SB doesn't do anything apart from damage (I know dev wants to take away passive healing from us but at least let we use DL as an alternative when we need healing without losing much dps)
    right now, its nowhere close, shadow bolt is 50SP and drain life is 6sp over 6 secs.

Yeah they stated that our new filler spell is Shadowbolt and DL is pretty much nothing at the moment. While it might not be as easy to tell the "tankiness" of aff atm due to being given bad low level greens for leveling, losing Drain Soul really makes recovering life a much bigger pain.

Just use a pet to tank? I almost always have infernal when soloing/questing even tho i don't need it with the gear i have just a bit safer and can pull even more.

Quote Originally Posted by garonne View Post
    right now, its nowhere close, shadow bolt is 50SP and drain life is 6sp over 6 secs.
    Which is very obviously the intent. Heck, most DPS specs do zero DPS if they stop and cast Flash of Light or whatever on themselves, and Afflic will still have its DoTs ticking away and just be losing out on Shadow Bolt damage. So that's still more DPS while self-healing than most people can pull off. It's just not the insane self-heals as part of the core rotation we've gotten used to.

On live before the nerf affliction's self healing had scaled a bit too far with artifact weapons and the ilvl of end tier. For some reason nobody knows, bad memory, and a form of nostalgia and we are back at shadowbolt filler. Everything is getting toned down but affliction will still have above average sustainability. Especially since we don't spend HP on anything but shields and burning rush.

Drain life is meh damage but with dots out, haunt up (or nightfall/SE), the loss versus shadowbolt is smaller than any other lock spec and mostly due to loss of shard generation. VW can still tank most things in the world and in old content so its even less of an issue. Raid wise we get the old combo back of last stand + HP bubble every 2 mins, bubble every 60 sec, and still UR. Unless you are careless, unlucky vs RNG hazards, or your healers just don't like you...most of your raid will be dead before you are. If you can weave DL, you can still outlive a lot and not miss much for it.

I would really love to see drain life get QoL bump since its now really token/trivial damage. Put it on another spell school in pvp for lockouts or make it flat out immune to lockouts since we will NEVER get to run from any fight from any class. Castable on the move would probably be too good but as we can't escape a single spec of any class in pvp the first makes more sense and doesn't have pve abuse ramifications.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really excited for the changes Affliction is getting honestly. Only part that kind of bugs me is that it's going to be the only spec that has to spec into a steroid CD.
    Last edited by eScar95; 2018-03-22 at 10:58 PM.
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Lolo View Post
    I'm really excited for the changes Affliction is getting honestly. Only part that kind of bugs me is that it's going to be the only spec that has to spec into a steroid CD.
    Why? The spec had all it's strengths removed while it's getting most of the weaknesses back that Blizzard has fixed over the years. In it's current form it's going to be next to useless in dungeons, raids and just any form of PvE.

The spec was not super intresting in Legion but the one we're getting in BfA is a complete mess.

Deleted
    In PVP Affliction currently relies on the massive self heals in order to function, in 1v1 situations in particular. If they take that away but keep things the same, for us and other classes, affliction will be in trouble.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Why? The spec had all it's strengths removed while it's getting most of the weaknesses back that Blizzard has fixed over the years. In it's current form it's going to be next to useless in dungeons, raids and just any form of PvE.

The spec was not super intresting in Legion but the one we're getting in BfA is a complete mess.
    which nobody understands. they are too busy being excited to see boring shadowbolt spamming is back.

have fun maintaining a fucking shit debuff on target.. oh wow the fun i can almost feel it

Quote Originally Posted by trajandreps View Post
    How is it tanky in legion?
    On my afflic lock (963il), I can sit/ cast and kill almost anyone (including 980il tanks) without moving and will win the fight at around 100% health.
    Exception might be good ret/DK/rogue which I usually drop to 60% before killing them.