Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Addons banned in BFA Alpha

Addons have always been banned from use in all alpha tests that blizzard have done, but in previous alphas (Mop, Wod and Legion) it was possible to do a memory edit in the exe file to modify it so that it would allow addons and blizz would just turn a blind eye on this.

However in BFA, Blizzard has tried to intervene addon use during Battle for Azeroth Alpha three times (since the first Alpha build to build 26175).

I am in the alpha but personally I can't heal without addons so I play DPS to test stuff.

Just curious as to what peoples thoughts are of using addons in alphas.

EDIT: Stop it with the bulls**t "If you use addons to heal your a s**t healer" and "You don't deserve your alpha invite" comments.

The point i am trying to get across is that the game needs a inbuilt Clique equivalent like Rift and other mmos have so people who heal using this method don't need an addon and are prevented from healing in alphas.
    Last edited by MarkTheMadMad; 2018-03-22 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scroolooseuk View Post
    I am in the alpha but personally I can't heal without addons so I play DPS to test stuff.
    Lol. /10char

they probably have them banned as they arent compatible with 8.0 and may cause crashes or other stability issues, and yea what kind of addons are you using that you cant heal without, whenever i played healer i didnt use any healing addons, mouseover macros were more than enough for my monk in Heroic (mythic) SoO, the only addons i used were elvui and dbm

Deleted
    Addons have always been banned from use in all alpha tests that blizzard have done, but in previous alphas (Mop, Wod and Legion) it was possible to do a memory edit in the exe file to modify it so that it would allow addons and blizz would just turn a blind eye on this.

However in BFA, Blizzard has tried to intervene addon use during Battle for Azeroth Alpha three times (since the first Alpha build to build 26175).

Just curious as to what peoples thoughts are of using addons in alphas.
    Nothing in Alpha requires you to have addons /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Lol. /10char
    Why do some people find it difficult to understand that some players need addons? I have a disability IRL and I use one particular addon to help me play. is there any need to take such a pathetic attitude toward addon users?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay? If you rely that heavily on addons I don't know what to tell you. Short of you having some kind of dissability I don't really get how you literally can't play without them.

Either way I don't see an issue with this. It's a test environment. Addons should not be needed.

Anyone using addons in alpha that isn't the creator of the addon, should have their alpha invite taken away. "Game crashed while I was doing this" now blizz spends a week finding out why it crashed, message him back "oh yeah, i was using these 20 addons" no shit it crashed.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do some people find it difficult to understand that some players need addons? I have a disability IRL and I use one particular addon to help me play. is there any need to take such a pathetic attitude toward addon users?
    And you just answered my question :P

I personally don't get why some people are so dependant on AddOns like Healbot. Using some mouse-over macro's and the regular raid frames you can do close to the same thing, the only limitation being you have to use keybindings rather than the main mouse buttons. (That's a thing Healbot does, right?)

Anyways, Blizzard is probably trying to get better quality feedback by making sure everyone's alpha experience is the same and unaltered by AddOns.

Riiiiight... /facepalm

https://media2.giphy.com/media/26ufo...opoc/giphy.gif

Infracted for flaming.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2018-03-20 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Okay? If you rely that heavily on addons I don't know what to tell you. Short of you having some kind of dissability I don't really get how you literally can't play without them.

Either way I don't see an issue with this. It's a test environment. Addons should not be needed.
    I think it's more a case of being used to playing with them, so not having them is not a fun experience(and feedback regarding it isn't as useful, because you can't properly compare to live). That said, they'll enable them eventually once they feel they got enough "pure" data, so it's not like it's a massive issue(especially considering there's nothing super important to test yet)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

The issue is, that if we believe everyone who has a disability, everyone suddenly has one. Blizzard can't cater to you for this alpha because they need to test without addons. It's that simple

15+ Year Old Account
    Can you potentially get around the lack of addons by creating macros that will do similar functions? I understand limitations of gaming with disabilities, though some macros can fill in the gaps while you're just running alpha test such as mouseover macros.

Deleted
    tough shit if you're disabled this is not a demo version of the game but an alpha test and blizzard doesn't want people to suddenly start reporting thousands of issues that are caused by outdated addons and have nothing to do with the actual game being tested

You should try WoW blank with every xpac at first. I heal without addon support since cataclysm I guess. If I'm not mistaken and they added the new raid frames there. You really should give it a try - it works flawless. My settings for the raidframes are with power bar (mana etc.), class colors, health lost, they show out of range etc. - you can really nice fine tune it.

I try to minimize my addon usage. I only have a handfull addons like icehud, skada, bossmod and auction house. They really improved the UI, but most good settings you need to set for yourself in the options before. You might be surprised how much they already added
    "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light, Babylon 5

"Only one human captain ever survived a battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me! You are in front of me! If you value your lives - be somewhere else!" - Delenn, Severed Dreams, Babylon 5

So what stops you from healing but not DPSing? Both have target buttons and cast macro.

Maybe lead with that next time so people don't assume you are simply not good at healing without an addon (a lot of people are like that). It's not common enough for us to assume somebody has a disability when they only say they can't heal without said addon.

Also, you can always put in a ticket in alpha to explain this and see if there's a way they can update it for you. Or, they'll reply that when they begin actual numbers testing they'll open up addons so you don't have to worry until then.

Finally, At this stage, the game itself is in a state of flux. Like any Alpha/beta before it, they're probably not at a point where you being able to heal is a concern because they are just trying to get the game not to randomly disconnect when a zandalari druid changes forms mid combat.

Cheers to you for testing stuff out, of course! Hopefully once you can use everything to play the way you need, you'll be able to see that healing is what you want it to be in BfA.

Yeah becuase Blizzard going after memory edits is about preventing the use of addons. Come on, you can't belive that.
    In any case, Blizzard wants you to test the game they created. They can't test every addon as well. Thats not thier job and it's not your job as a tester.

Also, what addons is it you think you "need" in order to heal? What is it they do that the original UI + macros can't? I've managed to heal just fine. It just takes some more setup and it's not like any challenging content is available yet anyway.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Can you potentially get around the lack of addons by creating macros that will do similar functions? I understand limitations of gaming with disabilities, though some macros can fill in the gaps while you're just running alpha test such as mouseover macros.
    Macros, at least the script based or castsequence based ones are also not yet enabled on current Alpha, for same reasons Addons are turned off, the purity of testing w/o them complicating things. Am disabled & in Alpha as well and lack of those macros + no addons yet, really hampers my ability to test properly, but they always get turned back on, later in Development, so i just test non combat etc stuff til then. Still plenty to help with.
    Last edited by Minaah; 2018-03-20 at 03:52 PM.
    *Minaah* lvl 120 / Resto & Balance Druid -- GM of Onslaught on Doomhammer-US, Horde

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    So what stops you from healing but not DPSing? Both have target buttons and cast macro.
    An example of this would be left and right mouse clicks on raid frames with a combination of alt/shift/ctrl without clique or healbot?. It is just not possible with macros.

This is just one example, There are lots of other reasons i need them apart from this that i wont go into on here