Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

To all Goblins (Gold-makers)

Wanted to start this thread to see if there are any Goblins here who are heavily invested in ah playing/gold-making.

How many items do you currently post on the ah on a regular basis?

What is your main objective on the ah? Flipping, Crafting, transmog, Rare patterns/schematics/plans etc? Or all of the above?

Any idea what the market and region value is of your total postings?

Are you dealing well with constant undercutting of your items?

Anyone multibox farm?

Anyone have any 'misclick' misadventures whilst auction-house playing?

I have played the auction house for several years now.
    I post anywhere from 1000 to 4000 items at regular intervals.

Current market price of items stands at approx. 55 million
    Region price stands at approx 20 million

Values are calculated with 3600 items posted 1 week ago

AH playing is not for everyone.
    It requires patience, knowledge of your server's trends in any given market and a good understanding of prices region-wide along with a decent amt. of liquid gold for things like sniping current raid boe's or resetting markets.

Curious to see how other Goblins make their gold and of course a lot of things are server-dependant.

Discord servers are a good place to sell unobtainable items from years gone past, like the Thug Shirt.

Happy gold-making!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

7+ Year Old Account
    My biggest misclick was also my favorite, buying out a (10,000g) Magic Rooster Egg before I had registered it was really the mount. Thought I had overpaid for some trick for a terrible few seconds.

EDIT: Nice quick move of this, mod. o.O
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest blunder (not so much a misclick) was selling my stock of 4 spectral tigers in WoD for less than 100k profit instead of holding onto them til Legion and making ridiculous amounts
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    My biggest blunder (not so much a misclick) was selling my stock of 4 spectral tigers in WoD for less than 100k profit instead of holding onto them til Legion and making ridiculous amounts
    Sold mine for a small WoD profit too... much regrets.
    You are everything, I never knew, I always wanted.

Who does multi boxing to farm? With the money i'd be spending activating other accounts i can straight up buy gold from Blizzard :|

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tclphz View Post
    Sold mine for a small WoD profit too... much regrets.
    Yea it's a disgusting feeling

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hargema View Post
    Who does multi boxing to farm? With the money i'd be spending activating other accounts i can straight up buy gold from Blizzard :|
    I currently have 3 accounts, and I'm profiting 5m+ a month. 10% of that going to tokens for the ease of access when I want to craft/snipe/etc is worth it
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

I'm pretty hands off now that I've made about 16 million. I just watch patch notes for future high demand items, either farm em or buy em on the AH. Holiday items are great for this. Small eggs, or birthday cakes etc. Also those engineer scopes that were recently changed? I bought about a 100 of them for a couple silver. After the patch dropped I sold em for 2000 each.

As soon as I heard Shadoweave masks were a requirement for the Lucid Nightmare I ran out and hit LBRS for the mats. Netted me about a million before the rest of the server caught on (already knew the pattern so that helped). Good times.

Easy money.

I did screw up and sell my sprite darter hatchling and my TBC Paris Hilton glasses for wayyyyy too cheap. Didn't know how rare they were. I think I let both of em go for around 10k each :\
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I mostly focus on crafting, shuffling and flipping. I avoid transmog unless I can get a good deal on low supply items.

I don't list a whole lot at once because I just don't have the patience for it anymore, but its around 2 million in market value every couple of days. I have 7 full guild banks that I cycle through when prices are good enough. Also every few months I just let everything in my mailbox expire because I just don't give a fuck anymore.

I bought some extra accounts when the game was on sale in November to get back into multiboxing, but Legion made it so unbearable to multibox that I ended up giving up on it shortly after hitting 110, but I did make enough gold on each account to be able to afford a token if I ever feel like reactivating them.

I don't waste my time undercutting or tracking competition. I usually have multiple characters at the same AH and when I log out on one and back in on another I usually notice a competitor has come online and is currently undercutting my products because they haven't learned any better. Once I'm done with my other characters, I just log back on the ones who have been undercut and raise my prices 25-75% which nets me the same amount of sales for more gold while those idiots are busy having a race to the bottom with each other.

I don't bother with resetting because I do the same thing as above in most competetive markets. However, I only play on high pop servers where it's significantly harder to get a grip on a market. That said, I do try to control old world mats that have high demand and low supply when I can.

And I know they've happened (alot), but I can't really recall any misclicks off the top of my head. However, a couple of months ago my 72 year old mother soulbound a full set of vanilla Scarlet Crusade mail with tabard and a vanilla Thug Shirt that I had tucked away in one of our guild banks to wait until prices for each hit gold cap. She had no clue how valuable they were and I had previously told her to take anything she needed from the banks so she snagged them after checking them out in the dressing room lol. It wasn't too big a deal since she loves farming mats and boes for me to sell and it gives her a sense of purpose in her old age.
    Last edited by sister; 2018-03-25 at 05:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sister View Post
    However, a couple of months ago my 72 year old mother soulbound a full set of vanilla Scarlet Crusade mail with tabard and a vanilla Thug Shirt that I had tucked away in one of our guild banks to wait until prices for each hit gold cap. She had no clue how valuable they were and I had previously told her to take anything she needed from the banks so she snagged them after checking them out in the dressing room lol. It wasn't too big a deal since she loves farming mats and boes for me to sell and it gives her a sense of purpose in her old age.
    Ouch!

Thanks for your informative post and it's pretty darn cool that your Mum plays!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

I am a new goblin, I was simply trying to keep my two accounts open for myself and my fiance, but it kind of took a weird turn. I used my gold I made to purchase RAF prior to the nerf, leveled a bunch of toons to 90 on multiple realms and setup somewhat of a sweatshop of tailors/engineers/alchemists.

How many items do you currently post on the ah on a regular basis? Generally right now, monthly, I post, 4 leatherworking legendaries, LW drums etc, 17 sky golems (spread across 4 servers about 4 a month per server). 160-180 hexweave bags monthly (once again spread across 4 realms)

What is your main objective on the ah? Crafting primarily, just starting my hand at flipping, but its dangerous this late in the expansion. Right now my main objective is to buy as much game time as I can prior to BFA.

Any idea what the market and region value is of your total postings? Bags 1.8k-2.5k, Golems 48k to 60k (varies alot), LW Boots 50k, LW Gloves (65k)

Are you dealing well with constant undercutting of your items? My biggest problem is, when I don't have to farm, finding ghost iron ore at a reasonable price. The goblings on my realm, have been trying to reset the price of sky golems by raising the price of the ore. Which is rough, but I counter that by farming.

Professional forums can solve professional problems.

Used to do a lot on the AH, now I mostly just sell M+ runs and such.

Would usually buy in bulk from trade, then use that 5-10% savings and to diversify my professions across the market.
    Enchants, Flasks, Feasts, Pets, etc.

Would have 200-500k on the market at one time, make 5-10% hourly from just hanging out around the AH.
    That was in WoD, haven't done much auctioning in Legion.

TSM is a fantastic tool.

Right now I'm slacking at 200. I have had as many as 800 though.

What is your main objective on the ah? Flipping, Crafting, transmog, Rare patterns/schematics/plans etc? Or all of the above?

I have always been a fan of crafting as it's very easy to make predictable income. I currently have 12 max level characters whose professions are very useful. Alchemy/Jewelcrafting/Engineering mounts are huge for me and I always keep a stockpile of 3 of each JC panther.

I also enjoy flipping when the market is in the right spot. I prefer resetting markets with items that are in high demand, but not so much of a supply that it gets flooded as soon as i reset. A good example is primal obliterum. When it gets too low (~350g) I buy them all out up to 1k and relist them in stacks of 1 and 10. I will often buyout regular obliterum until it's 100-200g lower than primal, so people are less incentivised to flip. This gets more risky the closer we get to BfA.

1-2 million off the top of my head.

Meh. I repost once in the morning and once or twice at night. Most of my profit comes from things that don't get undercut often, or sell right when I post them.

Anyone multibox farm?

Nah, doesn't sound fun.

Plenty. Luckily nothing too major though, I can remember quite a few TSM fuckups where I put something in the wrong group and it instantly sold for 12k instead of 80k.

However, I have been on the lucky end of this situation a few times. I picked up a Swift Spectral Tiger for 300k back in WoD. Recently bought 400 Golden lotus for 20g per. I have also picked up Blackrock Bulwarks for 50-75k and flipped them for 500k.

I have 10 million gold, but I don't consider myself a goblin.
    I mostly sell max level stuff I get while playing my characters, BoE transmog gear, some niche markets that are mostly crafted gear and vendor items, low level enchants and enchanting mats and glyphs. Unfortunately the enchanting mats profits have been going down for years and it'll just get worse now with the new profession system.
    The most fun kind of items to sell are vendor items that TSM sniper noobs buyout because someone else is posting those items at ridiculous prices :P
    I rarely delete stuff, so if I don't like the current price for an item in the game I tuck it away in a bank/guild bank and hope for better times for that item. It often works

I'm a collector(mounts, pets, transmog, ever-y-thing), but if I didn't have to put so much time into farming these things I would farm mats to craft popular transmog items to sell. I miss old WoW where professions and the items you made were more valuable and required a bunch of different and/or rare materials to craft.

How many items do you currently post on the AH on a regular basis?

I have no idea. I just post. Or I don't, if the pricing isn't to my liking.

What is your main objective on the AH?
    My main objective is to make gold and get rid of stuff.
    I hate to just sit on stuff that probably will lose value over time. It feels worse than selling off something that will eventually rise in price.

I don't really deal with max level stuff like gems, enchants, etc - so I don't deal so much with this problem. When people undercut I don't really care that much unless they undercut by a lot while still being far above profit margins because then I won't even buy them out.

Well, I've made......I honestly don't remember, I think ~50M over WoD and Legion, maybe higher. My Statistics say I've made 96,505,567G but no doubt a lot of that was spent buying stuff. That's on one single server, too. I tried dabbling in cross-server enterprising but it's simply so tiring.
    I got 18.8M right now and spent the rest on raid carries. A bit of a waste, but I don't see other good ways to spend them.
    However I'm personally still not sure I'd call myself a goblin, though - I don't do many of the cutthroat AH maneuvers that many goblins do and is rather risk-averse in general.

Used to be, when I was actively playing, that I'd post 1,000+ items, majority of them crafted transmogrification items. Nowadays I post maybe ~400 transmogrification items and ~400 in pre-legion trade goods. Somehow they still sell, but even if they don't half an hour every two days isn't that much. I'm not actually free enough these days to actually post every two days, though - more like every week.

Crafting, I suppose. Back in WoD when I was younger and more foolish I heard about the Legion wardrobe and decided to farm all the unique crafted appearance I could over months. I have had a complete suite of all professions over 11 characters, of course (well, minus herbalism). I still think it's a waste of my time, really, but I might as well make some gold out of it if only for some minor satisfaction. I do try to control the prices of some pre-legion (soon pre-BfA, I suppose) goods that I'm confident could be controlled. I think I tend to overprice them, though.

I try not deal in current goods - enchants, flasks, feasts, etc. Too low profit margin, too frequent price shifts, too troublesome in general. I used to, though, when I had the time.

If you're asking what the gold is really for......I suppose nothing, really. Another reason I don't punctually post every two days.

Undermine says 14.2/12.7M, which is half of what I'm pricing them for.
    Maybe I'm really overpricing too many things.

Don't care - well, can't care. I barely have time to post every two days. Even back when I dabbled in fast-moving markets......well, no, I never really did, so I can't say anything on that subject.

Anyone multibox farm?

Only ever farmed recipes and reputations, not goods, and for that I didn't need multiboxing.

Sadly no, although I wish I had - they sure sound exciting.

(Apologies if this is resurrecting a dead thread - although I hope it's not a problem on MMO-C just before prepatch. Hope this post is as interesting to you as the other posts were to me.)

PS: praise TSM. Can you believe I once regularly posted ~600 auctions, by hand? Half of them transmogrification items that can't be mass-posted? To be fair, I stopped doing that after maybe a week. Price checking every single item and undercutting them by precisely 1c manually was, well, it was something.
    Last edited by isaac2314; 2018-06-23 at 11:51 AM.
    See here for my own Mage solo (and sometimes other classes too.)
    And also see this document for my efforts at listing solo kills of every class. Please do not hesitate to message me if there is some kill I have failed to record.

Quote Originally Posted by sister View Post
    And I know they've happened (alot), but I can't really recall any misclicks off the top of my head. However, a couple of months ago my 72 year old mother soulbound a full set of vanilla Scarlet Crusade mail with tabard and a vanilla Thug Shirt that I had tucked away in one of our guild banks to wait until prices for each hit gold cap. She had no clue how valuable they were and I had previously told her to take anything she needed from the banks so she snagged them after checking them out in the dressing room lol. It wasn't too big a deal since she loves farming mats and boes for me to sell and it gives her a sense of purpose in her old age.
    If that was my mother, I would be spending my inheritance on gold tokens by now

10+ Year Old Account
    To break into this topic. Genuine question to those having 10m+ gold.
    How much time are you spending in wow on an average week? And what is your business, are you farming stuff? Crafting stuff? Just using the AH and nothing else?

I'm asking because I tried to make gold a few times, and couldn't find the right balance between standing at the AH browsing/buying/selling and being out in the world gathering or running old stuff for transmog purposes. The best I ever did was around the Cata days where I started off with 2k gold on my person and by the end of Cata I had around 300k, but that included flipping a TCG mount so I'm not really looking at that as 'good goldmaking'.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with the guy above me. I am just getting into making gold (or trying to) and I don't really know what to do or how to even start. I just want to have gold to buy things like the brontosaurus mount in BFA or just have gold for things that I might fancy. I'd also like to stop paying money for wow and move into the tokens realm. With being this late into the expansion, I doubt I'd even be able to turn a real profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    I personally looked at gold farm guides. Problem with those however is that the worth of the items are never as high in my own server. So while they might be able to make 50k an hour it's closer to 20 or 30k for me.

But what I've been doing is simply farming Mars that are used in crafting. Ghost iron ore used to make sky golem is a good example.
    Primal fire is also sold for a good amount.
    I had about 60k a week ago or so. Them I started farming and making gold and now i have 240k atm, but that's not nearly enough.

I think the problem is that we got into gold making too late in the expansion. Nothing sells for a lot at this point. So my plan is to focus less on instances at the start of BfA and more on farming and crafting
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Too late to really get into it. My main for BFA is herb/mining so I might just farm stuff early on and sell it all. Road to 5mil starts August 13th!

Been pretty lazy as of late.

I run 2 accounts (1 for sitting at the AH that pays for itself, the other is just my main account to play while doing other stuff)

Mostly deal with flipping, probably 90% of my income comes from that.

AH value is about 20 - 25mil across 4 servers, total auctions about 3-4 hundred, I vendor anything not worth much as it's not worth the time investment to me.
    I only spend about 30 mins every 2 days re posting, I don't care about undercutting as most my items like flasks I have as designated prices (my sweet spots) which sell no matter how many and posted below it, since the AH is horrible to use without addons. So I just utilize that to my own benefit.

Liquid gold is around 17m atm

My last gold cap took less than 90days to achieve so I was pretty happy with that, during that climb I purchased a spider mount and a tonne of game tokens for overwatch & HS purchases.