Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Steady stream of content and a stable player base. You shouldn't have any issues
    Last edited by Riistov; 2018-06-12 at 10:34 PM.

Yes, but it has doesn't have the "hardcore gamer" playerbase that WoW has, so be prepared for people who don't understand any gaming memes/references. It basically feels like GW2 is the only game they play, like they got recommended it by someone at work and that's the only reason they're playing.
    Last edited by ardenthate; 2018-04-03 at 01:14 PM.

GW2 may be around for a while, but I have serious criticisms about the game. I started playing during the 3-day jump start before retail release. The developers seem very keen to half-ass an idea, say it doesn't work, then move on to the next and leaving it unfixed. It's infuriating. The loot system is completely idiotic; for every 10 weapon skins added to the gemstore, one makes it into the actual game. The same can be said for armor sets as well. There is no interesting content when grinding for legendaries. Hell, there's not even lore behind any of them, save a few scant scraps for Nevermore and a couple of others. The personal story is awful. The living story has a few moments of "wow!" but scarcely any depth. I can't count how many times Wooden Potatoes has expressed his annoyance with the story, which is odd for someone so attached to the game. I gave up during Heart of Thorns, where the story seemed to progress in a meaningful way until the halfway point, where it made a bee line through the weak climax and lame resolution, forgetting everything that happened previous to it. Gold is obnoxious to make, unless you pay the gem store.

Unless you like to grind for hours doing the same events over and over again so you can get skins to continue to do the same events over and over and waiting for the next mediocre addition to the story with single-minded zones, then sure, I guess guild wars is your game. The upsides to the game are the graphics and combat system, and elite specializations can put a fun twist on your character (at least when it's not supremely better to just go with the elite specialization), and exploring stuff for the first time can be enjoyable.

FFXIV, while it functions mechanically similarly to WoW, still has a very distinct feel. The trouble with ffxiv is the first quarter of the game: The story picks up slow, the combat is slow, the dungeons are boring, the armor is ugly, the characters are kind of weeby, the classes don't have any kind of customization whatsoever (not even weapon choices). All of this can be very off putting. But when you start getting close to level 50, all of this flips completely on it's head and the game becomes incredible. You are still limited in your class customization, but the rotations become so long and complex that combat becomes interesting (I don't even miss class customization); if you're not satisfied with your class, you can swap to any class with the push of a button. You still need to level that class, but you gain 100% more xp while it's lower than your highest class. Your classes also have their own dedicated story quests. The main story becomes very real and very moving, and VERY consistent (especially when you hit Heavensward. My goodness what an amazing expansion.) The armor looks fantastic. One complaint that some people have is that everything is locked behind the main story. Literally everything. And there's hundreds of quests worth of stuff to get through. Personally, I didn't mind it, and now I know where everything fits in to the world as a a result of it. I've entered dungeons in WoW and GW2 and thought "What's this place have to do with anything?" Never had that thought with FFXIV. If those story quests are not your jive, you can still buy Jump potions at the Mogstation and skip all of it, including a level boost to 60 (cap is 70, so you still have to play through Stormblood stuff).

The good news is that gw2 is free to play on the base game, while FFXIV free to play up to level 35, so see what you like. GW2 might win out if you compare the free content side by side, but FFXIV picks up and blows even WoW out of the water, at least for me. I'm just here to be a dissenting opinion so you can make your own choice. Best of luck!

Deleted
    I don't think you have to worry about the game going anywhere anytime soon. It is a fun game However, I'm currently on a break because I'm waiting for wvwvw updates and optimization. However, I just found Black desert online and it has more of the pvp that I want and also side progress of characters that I enjoy.

Why would anyone not play a game they might have the most fun with even if it's gone in 6 months or a year for a lesser game? Play it, enjoy it - if they bail.. at least you had some fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veritus7 View Post
    The trouble with ffxiv is the first quarter of the game: The story picks up slow, the combat is slow, the dungeons are boring, the armor is ugly, the characters are kind of weeby, the classes don't have any kind of customization whatsoever (not even weapon choices). All of this can be very off putting.
    That's a problem I had. Though I didn't know the game got better - a game that is off-putting at the start is usually a game I stop 2 hours in. Why wouldn't I, as far as I knew - the game was bad.
    Last edited by TFaith; 2018-04-20 at 01:52 PM.

I just gave the game a try after years of taking a break and can honestly say I am having fun. Maybe they've fixed a lot since I last played 5 years ago, or maybe I just enjoy the casual pace more but overall its a solid experience. I am really hoping they keep pumping out a few more expansions. I would love to see even more elite spec diversity

Deleted
    I'm trying to play again on GW2 after a 1 or 2 years break, starting over with a new character (my highest lvl is currently 75 and I started playing on day 1). Let's see where this take me !

It's not going anywhere for a long time. It's never been more active as far as nicely challenging random open world play (meta events) goes, which it does better than any other MMO anyway. Endgame is cosmetics, QoL items or PvP. If you're into that, it'll hook you. I actually spent money in the gem store because there's enticing stuff, not because I'm pressured to do so in any way. It'll never be huge like a WoW, but it might even outlive that purely by living on its many rabid, money spending fans - like me.

Deleted
    Guild wars 2 will be going for at least 4 years more with massive playerbase. It is the 2nd most succesful MMO out there considering playerbase, content (the game is pretty old with lot of areas, only wow has more PvE content) and graphics.

The older maps have lot of players atm because it is summer (most active MMORPG time) and guild wars 2 got huge amount of new players and their friends from Bless online failing so hard.2 Youtubers made a video how guild wars is way better than Bless and WoW is outdated basically. Lot of BDO streamers are loving guild wars atm also.

The thing Guild Wars 2 is best at is the combat system. The battles are immersive and you there is no terrible korean cheap voice actors during combat. It makes exploring the world more fun than in any MMO allowing you sense of progress as you get better. You can also see it in that it is the only MMO with actual alive WvW (RvR) and PvP gamemodes left.

What keeps people in Guild Wars 2 though is:
    - Stable servers, servers have been down like 2 times in past 2 years?, no server downtime whenever there is a new patch.
    - The best community out of all MMOs, just go check guild wars 2 subreddit, you won't see any salty comments.
    - The world in the expansion maps is never empty, you will never see an event without a player trying to complete it.
    - Content is hard enough to keep you interested but still allows you to have fun with your friends.
    - There is constant release of things to keep community hyped and discussing with each other (autoloot, new builds, expansions, new fractals (basically dungeons) etc etc.)
    - The gear doesn't expire and you can use same gear on multiple characters, meaning you can log in years after and be completely fine. There is no Pay 2 win content.
    - Guild system, you're not limited to 1 guild but 5 guilds, meaning you can basically enjoy the game with 5 different communities.
    - The best MMOrpg PvP and Large scale combat system there is.
    - No open world combat so it separates player vs player from PvE

Only minuses on guild wars 2:
    - Has less overall PvE content than WoW (guild wars 1 + 2 would have more than WoW but gw2 is newer game so it has less)
    - Lack of endgame grind for better gear, you will be hitting max level gear within a few months, the game doesn't "force" you to play content, meaning you just have to do what you find fun out of the 3 good game modes. If you don't like swapping builds or learning other classes, you cant really appreciate the combat system.
    Last edited by mmoc2d4ef385b7; 2018-06-01 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Threather View Post
    Only WoW has more PvE content.
    Everquest 1 has far more Content than WoW, FF14 probably also

GW2 will be around for a while. A lot of people enjoy the game. It is based around buy to play so no heavy reliance on sub numbers and it releases expansions at a nice gate. Also hit the right stride on the store with things people buy but no things you have to buy / pay to win elements. Not to mention pretty fun game play and one hell of a huge and interesting world with a decently good community.

GW2 feels like a game that knew exactly what it was. Didn't base itself around being a WoW killer or anything. It just found its own space and occupies it nicely. This is exactly how new MMOs should do it.

I eventually opted for Final Fantasy XIV. The lack of end game in GW2 scared me off. At least, for me anyway, housing was a nice incentive, though I highly doubt I'll get one. Honestly I don't know why FFXIV is so stingy with its plots considering how many people want it.

If FF doesn't work out, GW2 is still there. I log in every couple of months just to make sure I don't miss out on free stuff, like a living story, etc.

WoW finally irritated me to the breaking point. I asked in forum about population comparison between FF and WoW and they banned me for trolling. So I sent them an e-mail saying they earned a permanent subscription ban, told them to delete my account, and got a refund from PayPal for my subscription.

When I commit, I commit.

Yup!

Tons of people playing. By all accounts it had the best year since launch with the warm reception Path of Fire received.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    The lack of end game in GW2 scared me off.
    I'd give it another shot if you're curious. The end game is really robust at this point. Raids and fractals are a blast and give a nice sense of progression without making you feel like you're constantly on a gear treadmill

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    Yup!

Tons of people playing. By all accounts it had the best year since launch with the warm reception Path of Fire received.
    I logged in a couple days ago. Lion's Arch wasn't the bustling hub I recall.

I'd really, really like to see the Q2 results for Guild Wars 2. I think that will give everyone a really good idea how well GW2 is doing, survival-wise.

I'd give it another shot if you're curious. The end game is really robust at this point. Raids and fractals are a blast and give a nice sense of progression without making you feel like you're constantly on a gear treadmill
    I hope that isn't all to end-game. Sounds like WoW's failed raid-or-die mentality. I know GW2 isn't like that, though. You can gear up to bis even doing world content, though I do recall someone saying that there are skins and stuff reserved for the raiders and other high-enders.

A big part of this is there is another hub in the new expansion.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

I'd really, really like to see the Q2 results for Guild Wars 2. I think that will give everyone a really good idea how well GW2 is doing, survival-wise.

I hope that isn't all to end-game. Sounds like WoW's failed raid-or-die mentality. I know GW2 isn't like that, though. You can gear up to bis even doing world content, though I do recall someone saying that there are skins and stuff reserved for the raiders and other high-enders.
    Gw2 Just posted one of its best quarters ever.

http://irsvc.teletogether.com/ncsoft...2018Q1_eng.pdf

Also, raid or dies certainly isn't the mentality for gw2. All the alternate paths of progression are still viable and have been expanded upon. As a side note, I also love what they've done with the mastery system. It offers a great horizontal progression path that keeps players engaged, while still staying true to the games "no treadmills" vision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play both. FFXIV is cancer to me cuz I hate the fucking gcd but it's actually a great game. If you can handle the slower playstyle, it's amazing. GW2 is faster, even faster than WoW and has (now) expansions so it's not going anywhere. They aren't going to let this game die. GW2 is F2P after you buy the xpac.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an old thread but I'll chime in that they recently did some upgraded graphics for GW1 so I don't expect either game to be going anywhere.

In fact, I think it's possible that GW2 might grow a bit over the next year or so. WoW is upping their video card requirements which will drive some people off and speaking personally, BfA isn't really doing a lot for me as an expansion. I'll probably subscribe to level and see what's what but the last month or so I've been playing GW2 more than anything else. And has been mentioned buy the game or expansion and you're good to go, no monthly fee.

I didn't play for three years and I'm still completely lost but that's fine. Half the fun is figuring shit out.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Just speaking for myself, but I usually play GW2 as my backup game when WoW isn't good. Right now it's looking like BFA will be another WoD where GW2 will be my main game after I just finish the WoW questing experience. I think it's just the nature of MMOs where I can only focus on one at a time.

Been enjoying myself back on GW2 so far, but I have to admit, so much has changed/been added since I last played it's a bit hard to catch myself up.

I like Guild Wars 2. I really do. I just wonder if it will be around in a couple years, still putting stuff out.
    Their Guild Wars 1 server which was released on April 28, 2005
    is still around so no, Gw2 is going nowhere.