Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Ten?! That means he gets a free ice cream cone. That's awesome!
    But only 1 scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    But only 1 scoop.
    And a bulletproof cone.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    While Pruitt sets up to testify tomorrow, it's worth pointing out that a new study shows the Chinese plan to cut emissions in half will pay for itself.

"Oh, that's just a Chinese hoax."

Actually, the study was done by MIT scholars.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    While Pruitt sets up to testify tomorrow, it's worth pointing out that a new study shows the Chinese plan to cut emissions in half will pay for itself.

"Oh, that's just a Chinese hoax."

Actually, the study was done by MIT scholars.
    That's the biggest part of those kinds of things I hate when people say it doesn't work out. My step-dad literally told me that electricity is more expensive than gasoline when it came to a conversation on electric cars. I know that had nothing to do with anything, but just enough for my tastes.

Regulations like these that actually make money in the end is a wonder why people, like Trump and his Trumplestiltskins, fight so hard against them.

10+ Year Old Account
    My step-dad literally told me that electricity is more expensive than gasoline when it came to a conversation on electric cars.
    Technically correct. A GGE of electricity (33.4kWhr) costs about $4 on average (12 cents per kWhr), compared to the national average of $2.78 for a gallon of gas.

However, the electric car is 3-4x as efficient and doesn't require a lot of the maintenance (oil change? What oil?) the conventional car does.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Technically correct. A GGE of electricity (33.4kWhr) costs about $4 on average (12 cents per kWhr), compared to the national average of $2.78 for a gallon of gas.

However, the electric car is 3-4x as efficient and doesn't require a lot of the maintenance (oil change? What oil?) the conventional car does.
    This was at the time though that gas was nearing $4 a gallon near where I was. I should have made that part clear.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think we should take ALL of these corrupt EPA people (hell, include the entire Trump administration if you like, I'd be for that), stick them in a rocket, and ship the lot of them off to Venus. They'd like it there.

The longest anything human-built has survived on the surface is 57 minutes. The temperature is 465C, the air pressure is 94x what it is on Earth, and the "air" is mostly CO2 and sulfuric acid. Basically what this planet will look like if humans have their way with it.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2018-04-26 at 03:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I think we should take ALL of these corrupt EPA people (hell, include the entire Trump administration if you like, I'd be for that), stick them in a rocket, and ship the lot of them off to Venus. They'd like it there.
    "It's a Chinese hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooax..." pfft

- - - Updated - - -

Pruitt is to testify tomorrow (checks clock) later today. The NYTimes obtained some of his talking points, which suggest he's going to spend hours blaming other people.

Spoiler alert: if you throw all your staffers you appointed under the bus, not only do you ruin morale with the few that don't quit, at best, people will see your defense is "everyone I hire is incompetent or unethical". That's a really dangerous defense to hide behind.

Spoiler alert: if you throw all your staffers you appointed under the bus, not only do you ruin morale with the few that don't quit, at best, people will see your defense is "everyone I hire is incompetent or unethical". That's a really dangerous defense to hide behind.
    That sounds like Trump's motto. "Oh no, I hire the best, it's not my fault everyone I support, hire, or nominate are crooks, it's their fault. I only hire the best people."

10+ Year Old Account
    How is this guy still employed? I mean....c'mon.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Because he does what his employer wants him to.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Trump or Pruitt? In either case it's because the American people love corruption so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is this guy still employed?
    I'm still 95% confident that Pruitt is around, because Trump needs him to replace Rosenstein and/or Sessions.

"He can't replace both."

Look at his admin and say that with a straight face. Anyhow, firing Pruitt/letting Pruitt resign, then re-hiring him, will be seen as a bigger batch of bullshit than a "lateral move", with or without confirmation hearings.

- - - Updated - - -

Pruitt faces down Congress today. Already, he's dipped into the "it's okay because I said so" well. Specifically, the EPA buying that soundproof phone booth was okay, because the EPA said so.

Pruitt faces down Congress today. Already, he's dipped into the "it's okay because I said so" well. Specifically, the EPA buying that soundproof phone booth was okay, because the EPA said so.
    Unsurprisingly, the Republicans in Congress are completely ignoring all of his flagrant ethical and financial violations and framing him as the victim in this, pretty much explicitly because they like that he's dismantling the EPA:
    https://www.motherjones.com/environm...were-with-him/
    The hearings followed a pattern. Democrats grilled Pruitt on the ethical problems surrounding his administration—or spent their remaining time with monologues about his actions. Republicans were less interested in getting answers from Pruitt on what subcommittee chair Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill.) called his “stewardship” of the agency, and spent more time focusing on the “policy” they agreed with. Despite Pruitt’s innumerable and well-documented ethical violations and questionable spending patterns, many Republicans in the hearing used their time to offer support for the embattled EPA head.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2018-04-27 at 04:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pruitt: "As I told FOX News, I did not know about the raises given to two of my top aides until after the story broke."
    Congress: "Well, now you are under oath."
    Pruitt: "Oh you mean THOSE raises. Yes, I knew about them ahead of time."
    EPA "Oh shit!"

Pruitt: "As I told FOX News, I did not know about the raises given to two of my top aides until after the story broke."
    Congress: "Well, now you are under oath."
    Pruitt: "Oh you mean THOSE raises. Yes, I knew about them ahead of time."
    EPA "Oh shit!"
    I've never seen one administrations lies unravel so easily before. Even W.'s lies about going to Iraq were better hidden.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen one administrations lies unravel so easily before. Even W.'s lies about going to Iraq were better hidden.
    Shrub might have been incompetent, but he had, well, if not smart, cunning people r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ working for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

This Pruitt guy has enough sleaze that you could sink an entire administration with it. And yet this isn't even the worst turd in this part of the pile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Possibly because he knows he's on the way out, Pruitt gives CVR Energy a biofuel waiver that could be worth $120 to $170 millions dollars, at the expense of greater emissions and loss of corn farmer support.

Let's count 'em down.

1a) This is one of the two dozen waivers granted in 2017. This is triple the rate under Obama.
    1b) The names of the companies granted those waivers is not released to the public. The EPA did not name them.
    1c) But we know one of them is Andeavor, who is one of the largest American refining companies. Andeavor made $1.5 billion in profit last year. Yes, that's double the year before.

2) This is a "hardship" waiver, normally given to companies that are struggling. CVR Energy has, you guessed it, not having hardship issues. Their Q1 income over doubled.

CVR Refining reported net income of $147 million for the
    first quarter, up from $67 million in the same period of 2017.

The company said it now expects its cost of complying with
    the Renewable Fuel Standard will fall to $80 million this year
    from roughly $249 million in 2017. The $80 million projection is
    also markedly below the $200 million in 2018 RIN costs that CVR
    estimated for this year when it released its fourth-quarter 2017
    earnings in February.
    Also, this is their stock price:

3a) CVR Energy is owned by Carl Icahn, who we've talked about before.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Billionaire investor and longtime Trump confidant Carl Icahn dumped $31.3 million of stock in a company heavily dependent on steel last week, just days before Trump announced plans to impose steep tariffs on steel imports.

In a little-noticed SEC filing submitted on February 22, 2018, Icahn disclosed that he systematically sold off nearly 1 million shares of Manitowoc Company Inc. Manitowoc is a “is a leading global manufacturer of cranes and lifting solutions” and, therefore, heavily dependent on steel to make its products.
    3b) See, thing is, Icahn used to be part of Team Trump. He was, in fact, Trump's regulatory advisor. I guess his advice was "don't regulate me".

3c) And he stepped down when it was found he was Trump's regulatory advisor, while profiting from it -- such as by owning an energy company that was mysteriously free of regulations.

3d) And, yes, he's under federal investigation for it.

3e) No, the investigation was not about his insider trading NC-17 mentioned. This was earlier. These are two separate cases -- I guess, now, three.

So to recap: the EPA did not disclose, but someone leaked, that billionaire friend of Trump Icahn, under at least one federal investigation for being Trump's regulatory advisor while owning a regulated energy company, is about to make over a hundred million extra profit due to a "hardship" waiver for his company growing by leaps and bounds.

Defend, Trump's rabid fanbase. Defend.

- - - Updated - - -

Wups, looks like we're not done with this guy.

Former deputy EPA chief of staff Chmielewski not only said he was "100 percent" fired for questioning Pruitt's travel expenses, but also, that he was supposed to be replaced by Hupp, one of Pruitt's aides. Yes, one that got that special raise they weren't supposed to. Yes, Chmielewski said that raise "100 percent" came from Pruitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    I mean, this Pruitt thing is just stunning. And somehow, the "woke" people, the Trumpers and the two main characters from "smug alert" are no place to be found.
    You can tell when something is undefendable when they are nowhere to be found.