Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They want a solo game where they can raid.

Raiding requires involvement and certain degree of responsibility (know your class, the fight and your role).

If all they want to do is DPS, then of course that is a problem.

"Where do all those gnomes come from..."

I've managed without 2, 3, and 4 even. People grew dependent on DBM and the like but Blizzard have incorporated most of its features into the base game and telegraph boss's attacks pretty well. It's more like:

2. Read the dungeon journal. Now you know what the attacks are called/do. Can be particularly helpful to know what damage type they deal for if your counters work on them.
    3. Watch a fatboss vid on the boss. Now you also know what those attacks look like. Can't get that from the dungeon journal, but if you're too lazy you'll know after the first couple of wipes.
    4. Review said dungeon journal again between wipes and look at the "what killed you" button to see what's killing the group.

Usually that'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I've managed without 2, 3, and 4 even. People grew dependent on DBM and the like but Blizzard have incorporated most of its features into the base game and telegraph boss's attacks pretty well. It's more like:

2. Read the dungeon journal. Now you know what the attacks are called/do. Can be particularly helpful to know what damage type they deal for if your counters work on them.
    3. Watch a fatboss vid on the boss. Now you also know what those attacks look like. Can't get that from the dungeon journal, but if you're too lazy you'll know after the first couple of wipes.
    4. Review said dungeon journal again between wipes and look at the "what killed you" button to see what's killing the group.

Usually that'll do it.
    Most of the bosses have an energy bar as well that when it reaches 100 (or depletes, or whatever) does something, plus they have audio cues as well when some abilities are being casted. Still helps knowing WHEN the ability is coming imo, the timers are pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I'm still amazed how many people resist coming into a raid with mods/food/flasks etc prepared.
    If you need food/flask/potions to kill normal or heroic bosses, you might be one of the baddies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leih View Post
    It's funny how easily people who have been gaming for years forget that having the coordination just to even use your keyboard and mouse in conjunction to move and attack at the same time is a relatively advanced and difficult skill for the vast majority of adults who aren't used to gaming, and WoW attracts a lot of non-gamers and casual players who aren't nearly as advanced as all that.

When my Dad plays WoW, he will have to stop moving, look down at the keyboard and find his number keys in order to start hitting his keybindings, and he spends most of the time looking at the keyboard to make sure he's hitting the right keys. He's just got no experience playing PC games and doesn't have the hand-eye coordination or muscle memory to use both his mouse AND keyboard at the same time while also being able to look at the screen, be aware of his position AND on top of that have the headspace to memorize mechanics and pay attention to the timers and announcements on a boss mod. He's cleared LFR playing like this, but he would never get anywhere in Heroic. It's not like he doesn't try, but he would need a lot of practice and time but due to work and other commitments he only plays for like 2-3 hours one evening a week.

It's easy to forget when you're a 16-25 year old gamer that not everyone is on the same natural level as you are, and things that seem "easy" for you are long established skills you picked up with time.
    Is he a construction worker or something?

Can't have an office job without knowing where the number keys are.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphatorg View Post
    I know this has a high chance of degenerating into a troll thread, but it's a question I genuinely ask myself while pugging.

Unless you're in a very ambitious mythic guild wow is a very easy game, both in terms of theory and mechanics.

1 read up your spec on icy veins
    2 DL a boss mod, if you're a healer maybe DL some raid frames
    3 go to wago and DL the highest rated WA package for your class, maybe a raid WA package like those from Reloe (both optional)
    4 during encounter look at the output of your boss mod every 15-20 seconds

Congrats! You're a good heroic raider now and you can probably join and compete in a triple digit mythic guild.

So how is it that so many people struggle in heroic? Even if you don't do any of the above steps "move out of shit" alone will be enough for the vast majority of hc encounters and I don't think it takes any kind of talent to step out of shit on a scripted timer that announces what's coming up minutes in advance.

Let's get the obvious explanations out of the way first:
    -People don't know the encounters: I mostly do my pugging in 960/965 groups, you have to clear HC a couple of times for that ilvl
    -People just don't care: again - 960/965 groups full of angry nerds who will likely kick you if you fail too badly and not having to look for another group is a strong incentive I guess
    I also encounter this problem in some mythic guilds where by definition people are at least a bit ambitious and obviously know the encounters.
    even for the best players it takes 100 plus attempts for a group to take down most bosses, casual players dont put in that time so they wont be as good, knowing a fight and properly knowing it are 2 different things, can mean the difference between top tier performnace and average performance.

Even in heroic raiding if you dont know the fights you can easily mess it up for the entire raid, also icy veins and such is pretty useless in actually knowing your class, you need to look into the class yourself and play it alot and test everything out before you can actually play a class well.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    If you need food/flask/potions to kill normal or heroic bosses, you might be one of the baddies.
    Missed the entire point attempting to be clever.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Missed the entire point attempting to be clever.
    I'd of responded something about carrying people so hard it's easier with a flash/pots/food BUT.. My logs suck ass so ;D

huehuehueeee

This is why all you have to do is look at the meters and see what people aren't doing mechanics or pulling their weight and just kick them and replace them with someone that has a brain. I ask once and call out people by name letting them know we all know they are messing up and if they do it again it's an instant kick and replace.

No time for newbs trying to waste peoples time.

10+ Year Old Account

Is he a construction worker or something?

Can't have an office job without knowing where the number keys are.
    Congratulations on being one of the people I was talking about

"Knowing where the number keys are" and "being able to wrap your head around using the mouse to orientate your camera, move your character and simultaneously execute those key presses accurately without looking at the keyboard - all the while keeping your mind on what's actually happening in the encounter and reacting to mechanics and moving out of fire" is a very different thing. Most people who've been gaming a while, especially since they were children, completely take for granted that using the controls like this is a learned skill and even people in "office jobs" if they've never played games before will struggle with this for a while... and WoW has attracted a LOT of people who don't traditionally play games over the years.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Good bait. You must not realize, but using excessive min-max is mostly how you can recognize a top player. No one wants to keep lots of little mental reminders to do this or that in their mind. No, instead you make everything a habit. So it will take you effort to NOT pre-pot, to NOT position yourself properly, to NOT follow your rotation perfectly, and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly the main issues with being bad at raiding is completely time devoted to learning basic shit/having a steady toaster that doesnt shit the bed and showing up, toss in social problems IE motivation or not getting along with other people and can be a shit show. addons are honestly a crutch and not essential for raiding, I tend to run as barebones as possible because I just don't like having too much clutter. just make sure your gears enchanted/gemmed/flasked and you dont stand in bad and stand in the good and you will be solid. its especially fun when people who havent a clue about your class tell you how to best play it as if they put in the time to theorycraft themselves on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Daevied View Post
    Back in BC gear carried the player

Now, gear means nothing
    No, it means a lot. Take GoL Holy Paladin build - without good amount of Haste, it doesn't really work.

But overall it's a good thing that gear is no longer a sledgehammer you can use to punch your way through the world and content.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was a pretty solid raider back in TbC. I was quick to figure out boss mechanics, never died from standing in stuff or break any sheeps, while pushing my class to it's limits (riding the aggro line back then was fun!). That Hand of A'dal title didn't come for free.

But I had to stop raiding towards the end of WotlK and in the meantime I've simply gotten old. There's no way around it; I can tell my reflexes and what not aren't as fast anymore. And while my reflexes slowed down and I devoted most of my time to other things than WoW the game got faster, more action orriented, and lots of players got more impatient and ... not so plessant (partly due to cross-servers I imagine).

I pretty much never even PUG anymore except when my professions or unlocking a new race forces me to. I'll still read up on boss mechanics before going into even a 5man dungeon on normal ... but that doesn't change the fact that I feel old now.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincuomo View Post
    This is why all you have to do is look at the meters and see what people aren't doing mechanics or pulling their weight and just kick them and replace them with someone that has a brain. I ask once and call out people by name letting them know we all know they are messing up and if they do it again it's an instant kick and replace.

No time for newbs trying to waste peoples time.
    This.

Don't have time to teach people who's "first time" in a raid is literally the end of the patch cycle.

It's not about not being able to kill it without the mentioned stuff. It is about not using very basic power boosts which is accessible and easy to obtain. I get some people do not minmax, which is fair enough - inconvenient, but it gets you into the top 5% of players. Not using the above is being lazy

5+ Year Old Account
    Some people legit don't want to improve and get hostile/stubborn when you want to progress out of merit and they don't. This is why I left my last guild. The GM and his friends struggled in Normal and couldn't get past 3 bosses on their own without calling in people with busted ilvls to carry them. When other guildies wanted to push to finish Normal and enter Heroic, they made a huge fuss/drama until those players left. They only made it to Opulence thanks to a superior raiding guild on our server making up half the party.

There are players out there who want to stay at barely Normal level skill and never progress unless someone else does the work for them. It's painful to get blamed for things that aren't your fault, especially when your raid lead and his friends legit have no clue what's going on.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    It's not about not being able to kill it without the mentioned stuff. It is about not using very basic power boosts which is accessible and easy to obtain. I get some people do not minmax, which is fair enough - inconvenient, but it gets you into the top 5% of players. Not using the above is being lazy
    Just got another round of orange parses last night without potions. Maybe you're just struggling so hard because you're not very good at raiding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leih View Post
    Congratulations on being one of the people I was talking about

"Knowing where the number keys are" and "being able to wrap your head around using the mouse to orientate your camera, move your character and simultaneously execute those key presses accurately without looking at the keyboard - all the while keeping your mind on what's actually happening in the encounter and reacting to mechanics and moving out of fire" is a very different thing. Most people who've been gaming a while, especially since they were children, completely take for granted that using the controls like this is a learned skill and even people in "office jobs" if they've never played games before will struggle with this for a while... and WoW has attracted a LOT of people who don't traditionally play games over the years.
    Or, far more likely, your dad is just in the bottom 10% and most people can type on a keyboard without looking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ID811717 View Post
    Good bait. You must not realize, but using excessive min-max is mostly how you can recognize a top player. No one wants to keep lots of little mental reminders to do this or that in their mind. No, instead you make everything a habit. So it will take you effort to NOT pre-pot, to NOT position yourself properly, to NOT follow your rotation perfectly, and so on.
    I have world top 25 damage parses for my spec.

You're failing on normal bosses.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Maybe you should focus more on helping people out..

Quote Originally Posted by Alphatorg View Post
    So how is it that so many people struggle in heroic?
    They don't care.

The difference in me 1 month into my Azeroth life, enchanting strength on my Rogue and grabbing 1 quest at a time to now is I genuinely wanted to get better.

My roomie will ask me how they can heal better on their Druid, I'll look at their logs, watch them play, design a WA for them to hold their hand and what's the result? Pretty much no gain, because the genuine care isn't there. There's nothing special I'm doing that makes me a good player other than a true desire to apply my knowledge and succeed. You want a new car? I don't, I want to kill new bosses. You want to fuck that hot new coworker? I don't, I want to run sims and question if I'm actually fucking retarded if I don't keep at least a 98% uptime on my hots/dots. They don't REALLY fucking care, they kind of sorta care

And I don't expect them to and neither should you, point them in the right direction and if they really want to get better they will.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself