Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Considering how many specs there are and so many variables to consider I'd say Blizzard is doing a pretty good job balancing. And no, im not a Blizzard fan boy.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think having abilities as talents is a lot more compelling then passive passive passive everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by duannyboy View Post
    Thanks for letting everyone know you didn't play it, so they know your opinion on Vanilla balance is invalid.
    I'm sorry, I'm fine with people loving vanilla and thinking it was the greatest WoW has ever been but if you think Vanilla had an ounce of balance then you are the one that did not play it.

As for current balance, they do a pretty decent job at balancing the games different aspects. There is a lot that needs work but I've never played a game that actually had all the stuff balanced correctly. Every game has always had a "better method" whether that is bringing all warlocks in WoW to a raid or even a single player game like Magic vs Swords in Skyrim. (I'm not claiming warlocks or magic is OP in either example).

5+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is at its best when every class/character/race in the game are wildly different, i.e. unbalanced af, but each has something OP or extremely useful. The best examples imo are Brood War and Vanilla WoW. If you want all classes to have the same dmg/healing/mitigation, then the need for class individuality disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    No you had a choice between cookie cutter or get the fuck out. Doesn't matter if "Oh I did more dps than that other guy!" because that other guy was likely a pile of shit player playing an even worse tree. Or you would have done better playing the best combination. If you're not in best spec, best gear possible from drops, playing at your best then you're wasting the time of everyone around you and 39 players times are worth more than 1.
    Hey man, just because you're a garbage can player and can't think for yourself and rely on quality sites such as 'icyveins' and 'wowpop' for your builds doesn't mean other players have to suffer with you.

I mean seriously, the fuck is this attitude? You're not some world first bleeding edge progression player, you're an LFR hero. Hope you're flasking up, dropping feasts and popping double pots otherwise you're 'apparently' a hindrance to the group in LFR/LFD. Nah, doesn't matter if you're doing 40%+ of the damage in the 25 man group, you're still a bother.

Honestly, there's so much information out there and it all contradicts one another the majority of the time that there's no way the bulk of the casual players have even the slightest clue what they're doing.

Looking back, you seem to be referring to classic which I was not strictly referring to. I was talking about talent trees in general, mostly BC onward. But hell, even in classic you still had wiggle room. The only thing you were really locked into (if you wanted a group to take you) was a raid spec. And even then that's only because elitist scum like you were the only ones willing to put groups/guilds together and (fairly so) it was your way or the highway.

Can't stand garbage ass players like you. Hell, I can't even stand people like you. Enjoy living in that box, I'll be over here dancing the jig on the outside.

It seems to me they are betting on the lack of balance of the game.It happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklelord View Post
    No. What we have now is an illusion of choice. When we actually had talent trees you could CHOOSE bad/good/fun/bland to fit your needs/wants. Some choices were really obvious, others not so much, especially when it came to being a hybrid or cross-specializing.
    Of course people could choose what they want. The problem is in a group, that becomes unacceptable. If you are happy to play solo and never step into a group environment with strangers, that is fine. As soon as you want to join in a group, that is when it becomes a problem because you will be doing below expected performance for your role.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    WoW PVP was at it's best vanilla and BC when every class had stupid gimmicks that made them interesting, unique, and different.

Over time through "balance" every class has been slowly melded together. Back in vanilla only like 2 classes had get out of jail free cards. Now everybody does, and a stun, and an aoe, and a "press this button when srs" cooldown.
    I'd say it was at the best in MoP. Heavily enjoyed PvP back then.

Vanilla, BC and WotLK were kinda stupid - mana drains completely draining a player's mana pool was a bit OP lmao.
    Wrath was good, but the burst capabilities of classes was far too much, resulting in 3 second kills with 28k HP.

OP is nothing is doing nothing more than baiting all of you. Notice he hasn't even posted in this thread once since he started it.

Yeah, he's real interested in discussing his opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talsar View Post
    Considering how many things they have to balance and that the balance isn't THAT bad in most areas i'd argue that they are actually pretty damn good at it.
    However if you demand perfect balance then good luck finding any game developer that is good at balance, because i have yet to find a game i'd describe as perfectly balanced.
    I wouldn't say they're great at it by any means, but on the other had I have seen worse balance for sure in other mmorpgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    Of course people could choose what they want. The problem is in a group, that becomes unacceptable. If you are happy to play solo and never step into a group environment with strangers, that is fine. As soon as you want to join in a group, that is when it becomes a problem because you will be doing below expected performance for your role.
    Everything isn't always so black and white. Especially with actual choices. If you'd rather take the player who can't do mechanics with the google spec over the player with a different/unique spec that can do mechanics and still do higher damage than the other player, that's on you.

People act like NO ONE currently, with basically no choices, still makes bad choices. Hope you only play your top simming spec/class with full raid buffs, regardless of if it's actually fun or not, otherwise you yourself are a detriment to your groups, according to you anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    This is the one thing that comes to my mind when I hear people have all the tanks at max level. I'm just like... Why?? They all are so retardedly similar it's silly. The only tank that is somewhat deviant from the others is Bear druid, but druids have always had that shapeshift hybrid thing going for them and that's what I like about them. They're the last "stance dance" derivative you can get now.
    Completely untrue, all of the tanks mitigate damage in different ways except with the exception of DH and DK having some overlap which makes different tanks excel at different kinds of fights and different tanks have different eases of healing for the healers healing you.

I'm pretty sure if you ask any main healer they can tell the difference between healing a DK and a Warrior.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklelord View Post
    Everything isn't always so black and white. Especially with actual choices. If you'd rather take the player who can't do mechanics with the google spec over the player with a different/unique spec that can do mechanics and still do higher damage than the other player, that's on you.
    We are talking choices and talents. Not the skill of the individual. If you want to take a player with a below optimal spec doing below expected DPS than than another player doing higher DPS with the optimal spec, that is your choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saybel View Post
    except with the exception
    So my statement wasn't actually completely untrue.
    Think about what the word "similar" means. They actually are similar, therefore not completely untrue.

Even Guardian and Warrior have self heal elements. That falls under the word I used; similar. So to say that was "completely untrue" is blatantly false.

I've always found the complaint about balance to be a odd one. I could only really think of it needed for raiding and pvp as people complained that their numbers weren't as big and flashy as someone else's numbers. I remember playing in Vanilla/TBC as a paladin, I knew I wasn't gonna hit the same numbers as a mage or a hunter. What I did bring though was multiple auras, blessings, seals and judgements that effected not only my character but other raid/dungeon members as well. As a paladin for me it was never about the flashy dps numbers lighting up my screen. I personally believe that is what blizzard should get back to, class variety that would effect the group content in raids. Some with dps numbers, others with defensive or support numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    They have, what, like 40+ specs to balance?

Yeah I'd say they do a really good job of getting them all fairly close depending on role and intention.
    36 to be exact.
    12 classes, 3 specs each=36 demon hunters minus 1 but druids plus one.

Deleted
    Balacing things is bullshit... There need to be that every spec has some cool things not everything is about dps... Somebody must be 2 or even 5 6,8,23....lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Yes, literally spamming one button for your dps rotation was so fun and engaging.
    I am talking about PVP. And I really didn't mind simple rotations. I played ret and enhance back in the day. It was chill and fun for me at least.

Most people don't use cookie cutter builds. Serious raiders might, but many people who just raid normal or below pick the talent that they themselves deem the best/most fun.

Not everyone spends hours at a training dummy trying to get their rotatio down perfectly to increase their dps by 2%, if they can just choose another talent, that makes their playstyle more enjoyable at the cost of a few percentages.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You know so very much about game design, I wonder, which of the gaming companies has the pleasure of paying you for this wisdom of yours?
    Yeah gotta love how people like the OP pretend that they are game developers, they seem they know everything but I have yet to see them working for a real game development company..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2018-04-15 at 07:00 AM.