Deleted

When does it get good?

I've just started playing OW and obviously I am getting chain rolled and blown out of my shoes constantly.

Its not much of a limb to go out on to think that eventually it'll be a good game (made by blizzard, rave reviews etc), but how long do I have to put in before then?

Not to be very good at it, I doubt I ever will be - just a timetable until I know wtf is going on and am starting to enjoy playing it. Happily unlike heroes which also has a tedious l2p bit at the start the games don't drag and respawn times don't go up the worse you play so I can stick it out for a bit.

So yeah, how long did it take you to get a grip on what's happening?

you will get calibrated and placed into proper games eventually

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    you will get calibrated and placed into proper games eventually
    I mean how long did it take to understand whats going on?

theres fat dude with the chain hook and learning maps etc right now I know fuck all, went with soldier 76 cos some guide said he's close enough to your usual fps play to learn the other stuff. I keep getting railed tho

I was pretty much enjoying it from the first minute.
    Mother pus bucket!

You can always watch better players play and try to do what they do. Go check up players such as Seagull on youtube. Learning on your own with no help will take a while.

Easiest game ever. Perfect beginner/toddler level fps game to start with. A few weeks and you'll be kicking ass.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    You can always watch better players play and try to do what they do. Go check up players such as Seagull on youtube. Learning on your own with no help will take a while.
    Yeah I can't watch and copy. never been able to, have to learn by doing. Thanks tho!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Easiest game ever. Perfect beginner/toddler level fps game to start with. A few weeks and you'll be kicking ass.
    Cheers man I'll stick at it a bit then.

Quote Originally Posted by Injin View Post
    Yeah I can't watch and copy. never been able to, have to learn by doing. Thanks tho!
    Not copy but learning how the game works. If you want to go at it without any guids or help then you'll struggle for quite some time. It's also easy to pick up bad habbits while playing against unskilled opponents and it can very well lead to what some call "elo hell" - You'll just be suck at the bottom.

Good luck though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Not copy but learning how the game works. If you want to go at it without any guids or help then you'll struggle for quite some time. It's also easy to pick up bad habbits while playing against unskilled opponents and it can very well lead to what some call "elo hell" - You'll just be suck at the bottom.

Good luck though.
    Thanks

I don't really worry too much about playing very well, just when i get gibbed I have some vague idea what by etc

Thanks all, I'll keep on playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Injin View Post
    I mean how long did it take to understand whats going on?

theres fat dude with the chain hook and learning maps etc right now I know fuck all, went with soldier 76 cos some guide said he's close enough to your usual fps play to learn the other stuff. I keep getting railed tho
    You'll never stop learning. I've been playing from launch and I'm still getting better and learning new tricks. But you should start to get a grasp of things. The best way to get there is just to play. I'd avoid Competitive until you start to feel comfortable, especially with at least one tank, one healer, and a couple DPS heroes, but otherwise, hit up Brawls and enjoy.

For learning maps, it just takes time. I DO recommend paying attention to the kill shots when you die; you'll see where you made yourself vulnerable, and where your attacker was at. Especially with snipers and the like, you'll learn a lot about positioning.

For heroes, I strongly recommend playing the Mystery Heroes brawl. Randomly spawns you as a new hero every time you die. Ults get reset when you die, unlike normal gameplay, so you focus more on the basic tools of each kit. This is good for two reasons; you get to experience a wide range of heroes to find out which "feel" good to you, without settling into any, and you also won't have to worry about counter picking, because you can't pick your hero. Plus, as it's a Brawl, nobody really expects it to be "fair", so being awful with a hero isn't going to catch you any flak.

The one single best recommendation I have, though, is this; don't get shot. No matter what hero you're playing, just don't get shot. This doesn't mean you can't get shot AT, if you've got a barrier or something to soak it, but try to not ever get hit. With DPS heroes, that means not being out in the open, ever. Abuse corners, use your tanks, etc. If you're getting shot, you've already fucked up. A Widowmaker who can get LOS to you can instakill any DPS hero with a headshot; if you're getting shot, you're open to dying, so don't.

Tanks get a LITTLE more complex since there's times with, say, Roadhog, when soaking hits to protect a squishy makes sense, but for the most part, it's a good habit that will serve you well. Poking and living to continue poking is better value than charging in valiantly, getting someone down 50%, and then dying from focus fire.

It just takes time. You didn't mention your rank; if you're not level 25 and can't enter Competitive, you haven't really passed your intro period. Even level 25 is a bit early, really, so don't expect to have it all figured out. I'm closing on my silver avatar (so rank 200+) and I'm still figuring stuff out. I'm an awful Genji, for instance. Your early days should be spent finding a couple heroes you enjoy and have potential with, and then focusing on them. As time goes on, if you're playing Competitive, you'll find you're either leaning towards maining a particular hero, or you're preferring playing "flex", which means you play what the team needs. The latter takes more competence with a wide range of heroes, but you're also generally not as good with any as a player focused on their main. You'll also see one-tricks, who ONLY EVER play one hero, but don't do that. If someone else picks your favorite, you need to have another option that doesn't hose your team. Most high-rank one-tricks have regular teams they play with, and that's why they can reliably play that one hero as the cornerstone of their team comp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You'll never stop learning. I've been playing from launch and I'm still getting better and learning new tricks. But you should start to get a grasp of things. The best way to get there is just to play. I'd avoid Competitive until you start to feel comfortable, especially with at least one tank, one healer, and a couple DPS heroes, but otherwise, hit up Brawls and enjoy.
    + stuff
    Holy shit dude, thanks for the write up. Appreciate it

I ain't level 25 yet, I am like level 8 or something.

OW seemed to suffer from the same issue as HOTS - a big and frustrating learning period before anything made sense or became fun. I'm sticking with OW tho cos unlike HOTS you don't get penalised as much for being shit, the respawn timer doesn't go up and up the more you die. I don't even expect to get good at it, but maybe I can have some fun.

Spend a decent amount of time in quickplay or arcade or even the server browser (competitive isn't any benefit if you're new). Try everything, figure out what fits your play style. The hero categories are pretty well labeled with Attack, defense, tank and support. Reading up on guides helps too or watching videos. Just have fun really. Some of the game modes in Arcade are a blast, and quickplay lets you figure things out in a more relaxed setting.

Start with no-aim heroes to learn the game mechanics and maps, and then move on to hitscan/sniper and such.