Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Alliance "The High King" figure

The High King figure or status or title, if you prefer, is a strage thing.
    At first, we must unsderstand that Alliance we have today was created based in the Alliance of Lordaeron.
    Alliance of Lordaeron has being foundad like a coalision of the seven human kingdoms, along with the dwarves of Khaz Modan (which also included the gnomes of Gnomeregan) and Aerie Peak, the high elves of Quel'Thalas, and some others members who share ideials and valors, like the Church of the Holy Light.
    This coalision has being made for 3 reasons:
    - Share knowledgement : Holy church and holy magic teachings, the arcane art and tech enhancements
    - Economical trades : like European union or MercoSul (South America)
    - Protection : united, the 10 kingdoms could defense more easily from external menaces.

The Alliance of Lordaeron was never a tribe or clan. This coalision never had a figure accumulating military functions like a general and political functions like a king .... as a warchief do.
    The Alliance has being governed by a council of members from each member kingdom.

With that in mind, we back to actual days.

As great leaders of Alliance we have:
    - Greymane, a survivor warrior/king of the Second War.
    - Tyrande, a millenar creature full os wisdom, who have survived to the War of Ancients, to the Shattering and has being lider of Night Elves for milenials.
    - Velen, a mellenar space traveler prophet, who Survived to Fall of Argus and the fall of Draenor. Saved you people many times and Guided Azerothians Champions against the of Burning Legion.

BUT, the High King is Anduin, newby king, the one with the lowerest experience in leadership, government and warfare.

Why? The Alliance has some agreement about "The High King must be human"? This make no sense!
    Why Greymane, Tyrande or Velen let in Anduin's hand the fate and the duty of all the greater decisions of Alliance?
    This is not only wrong, but very unfair with the baby face King!
    The most correct was not to dont have this "high king figure" if this is as coalision of partners kingdoms? What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by orukam View Post

Why? The Alliance has some agreement about "The High King must be human"? This make no sense!
    Why Greymane, Tyrande or Velen let in Anduin's hand the fate and the duty of all the greater decisions of Alliance?
    Now that's what i call heresy. Its obvious that all alliance leaders (and in fact all of its members) are smitten by unending charisma and wisdom of anduin and acknowledged him as their spiritual liege.

I agree, the main leader of the Alliance probably shouldn't be Anduin. It would be better suited for someone like Genn or maybe Jaina if they didn't completely drop her in Legion. They both have experience leading nations and forces in combat, and were both advisors to Varian.

Plus it would play better with the faction conflict theme to have one of them be the main leader rather than Anduin, as they both despise the Horde.
    Last edited by McCulloch; 2018-04-12 at 05:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans are the master race for the Alliance. Every other race is just a side race for the Alliance. Had Magni not become diamond then he would have been the perfect leader for the Alliance. Going to give Anduin the benefit of the doubt though, I don't mind him.

I'd like to see Tyrande become wiser and not be such a narrow sighted stuck up elf. She could be a pretty decent and even savage leader.

Deleted
    The 'Alliance' is more like a federation with the humans having a final vote in everything. It's pretty nonsensical, but atleast the alliance doesn't have a rainbow cast of warchiefs that make no sense.

Anduin survived again Garrosh dropping a god damn bell on him, he also mass resurrected 150+ soldiers at once, including Genn, Anduin is not a warrior king like his father, he tried to be, in which the intro shows, he relies more on protecting his people against all odds, which is why he drops his sword and gives into the light, the light is extremely strong within him, which is one reason Velen watches over him, Tyrande is a mess with her home being burned down, Genn is a warrior, and wants to be in the fights, and actually aggravated this conflict even more, Anduin is the passive king that will not back down, he is young but still wise, He is someone that even the Horde respect, hard not to consider him the High King.

I feel like Anduin is being set up to the future protagonist in a future game like Wc4, where he is the leader of all the factions in a rebellion against something, the one comic showed that we go back to Argus like 40 years from now, so I'm curious what that is all about and if Wc4 will have a major time skip.

I am a horde player and I would rather have Anduin as my leader, I like Sylvanas but her story got stale the moment she took the mantle of Warchief.
    Last edited by Aerisot; 2018-04-12 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wada View Post
    The 'Alliance' is more like a federation with the humans having a final vote in everything. It's pretty nonsensical, but atleast the alliance doesn't have a rainbow cast of warchiefs that make no sense.
    Do you want other races besides humans and orcs to be in positions of authority or not? I'm getting mixed messages here.

The High King doesn't exactly have power over sovereign nations of the Alliance, he's more of a figure head and a war time leader. All of the nations: Gnomeregan, Gilneas, Ironforge, etc are sovereign.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Do you want other races besides humans and orcs to be in positions of authority or not? I'm getting mixed messages here.
    I want a Saurfang to lead alliance and Nat Pagle could lead the Horde.

I was just poking at the fact that Vol'jin and Sylvanas make no sense as warchiefs, atleast the Alliance is still lead by one family heir.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can imagine that they see great potential in Anduin. The same potential they seen in Varian as he gained wisdom over the years of his rule, Varian went from a hothead to think before we act man until he died. Varian had faults but eventually he got it right, too bad we didn't get to see him get old. Its not Anduin making himself "High King" it everyone else giving him that title simply because how they feel. It brings right down to the first lie too....Anduin knows that he doesn't have to lead the Alliance because it has leaders who can share the load but he feel that he must play the role. That poor kid is about to go through some shit.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    In any battle, humans would represent the largest and strongest contingent of forces, therefore the leader of the humans is considered the leader of the alliance.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by McCulloch View Post
    I agree, the main leader of the Alliance probably shouldn't be Anduin. ...
    In my opinion, Alliance must not have a "main leader".
    I would love to see more conflicts between Alliance leaders. Things like divergences of opinion as we saw between Jaina and Varian. Something that shows that the Alliance is not a blind organization that obeys the leader just because ... Well, as a Druid player I would never accept to see Malfurion accepting peacefully Anduin blow up a World-tree ... OPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Forgottenone View Post
    I'd like to see Tyrande become wiser and not be such a narrow sighted stuck up elf. She could be a pretty decent and even savage leader.
    I agree! The writers don't seem to know what to do with her. It appears they have no idea how to depict a mainly matriarchalic society in a positive way. Appartently the writers are mostly old age white dudes with antique role model ideas. Tyrande has been the political, spiritual (priestesses) and military leader of the Night Elves for more than 10k years. Making her look like a rookie next to Varian or Anduin is simply not plausible.

I also don't know why everyone expects her to be "nice" and is furious if she isn't! She's an elf after all. And like all elves she is has a superiority complex towards the lesser races and is just arrogant. That's what proper elves are supposed to be.

This has been discussed over and over a dozen times already. It makes sense, you are just not seeing it.

In my opinion, Alliance must not have a "main leader".
    The Alliance doesn't have a "main leader" in anything but name. Politic-wise, Anduin has as much authority as any other leaders - no more, no less.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Wada View Post
    The 'Alliance' is more like a federation with the humans having a final vote in everything. ...
    Well, this could be. But we never had see no one voting. Just the High King receiving advises and deciding some shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    The High King doesn't exactly have power over sovereign nations of the Alliance, he's more of a figure head and a war time leader. All of the nations: Gnomeregan, Gilneas, Ironforge, etc are sovereign.
    He has total control over the Alliance armies and by all means Anduin is utterly unqualified for that job. Any other Alliance leader would be more suited.

Could there even be a high king of elves? a story arch character. we see our heroes go through phases every expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    This has been discussed over and over a dozen times already. It makes sense, you are just not seeing it.
    Giving military control to a boy who hardly has any idea about real warfare is not a good decision

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thieves cant View Post
    Could there even be a high king of elves? a story arch character. we see our heroes go through phases every expansion.
    Technically Azshara is still queen and the other elven races are in open rebellion for the last 10.000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    "The High King of the Alliance is much like the Warchief of the Horde: trying to coordinate the actions of all the races in the Alliance."
    by WoWpedia

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. Could be. Can you help to enlight me?

The Alliance doesn't have a "main leader" in anything but name. Politic-wise, Anduin has as much authority as any other leaders - no more, no less.
    Could be too. But Why every leader is waiting for Anduin permition in Embassy???
    Why, in many moments of the game, others leaders wait for Anduin decision?

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion, it's just a poor narrative decision to make storytalling easier.
    Put Anduin and Sylvanas face-to-face and now Alliance and Horde are represented.

The problem is that I'm tired of cheap narrative decisions to storytelling for WoW

7+ Year Old Account
    As for Varian there were planned scenarios with each Alliance racial leader where he prove his worth. But it was scrapped in favor of Horde storyline and we end up with cat bot (We only get Dwarf "Blood In The Snow" and Night Elf "A Little Patience" scenarios).

As for Anduin I don't know. Christie Golden twitted that this question will be mentioned in upcoming book Before The Storm.