Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Netflix]Lost in Space

Watched the first episode. Production values seem high and the actors do a pretty good job. Can’t say too much about the writing and overall story, yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing the rest.

I *MIGHT* watch this, the original was quite a fun ride when I saw it as a kid.

I'll be checking it out at some point over the weekend. No expectations going in: I haven't watched any previews or read anything on it.

Got as far as the lake being completely liquid and then freezing solid in under a minute before giving up.

I never watched the original, but I hear that this version doesn't really have the camp that made it memorable. Eh, I'll give it a shot. Who knows, might be right up my ally.

It's really good so far (3 episodes in). I only have a few issues with it, and it's mostly superficial.

1. I don't like that the Robot is more of an IDAK than the original Robot. If this was an original series, though, I'd really enjoy the character. He just doesn't feel like the Robot to me. At least they indicated that he can function with only half of his body, suggesting he might get his trademark treads at some point in the future. Maybe even his head if/when he runs into the evil Robbie the Robot at some point, lol.

2. I find it really jarring that Dr. Smith doesn't have a campy accent, or that she hasn't said her trademark line yet (I have hope that it happens at least once in an upcoming episode though). That said, like the Robot, I think this character is super intriguing and Parker Posey is doing an awesome job of being ominous and fucked-up. She's just not Dr. Smith for me. I do, however, really like the homages they made to the original with her "real" name.

3. The freezing of the water in the first episode was super unbelievable. If the weather was cold enough to do anything even remotely like that, those bishes woulda been dead minutes after getting out of the Jupiter 2. Yet there they were, chilling around without a hood or anything like it was nothing. There were a few other small things like that, too. Like how quickly and drastically the environment changed after just a short drop for Will down the chute.

4. They keep teasing at the original theme, but it's so muted that it just becomes background noise for the most part. But I have a general disdain for most theme songs/background music in television and movie over the last two decades, and this is just following the same trend. We don't really get phenomenal, heart-pumping themes anymore with only a rare few examples like Game of Thrones. (In before some millennial comes in telling me how awesome X, Y, and Z is. They might be technically proficient and whatnot, but they don't stand up to classic theme songs from the golden age of television.)

All of that said, I think the show is FANTASTIC and I'm eating it up. I LOVE how they changed up the dad, mom, and Major West so that they all play a unique and interesting role in the dynamic. Mom's no longer just a lame ass 'homemaker,' but the brains of the family. That, alone, was an awesome change.

No Gary Oldman Space-Spider Monster in this one ?

Nope. It's miles beyond that shitty movie.

Honestly, it's a really good series. It's just the changes to the Robot and Dr. Smith makes it feel like it's something other than Lost in Space (at least for me). The only other nitpick is the bad science in a lot of areas, but that's not what the show is about; that's all just plot motivation.

Soooo, I gues Judy is adopted?
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Nope, not even close. John just wasn't Maureen's first lover.

But you keep rolling those eyes. It doesn't make you look even more ignorant than usual.

Deleted
    Nope, she is Robinson 's daugther from another woman before he married, raised by his wife. Older half-sibling of the two other kids.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Zardu Hasselfrau View Post
    Maybe I missed something... If I recall correctly, after Don West raised an eyebrow after Judy told him that John was her father (probably because the Robinsons are both caucasians and Judy is metis ^^) she explained that she was born before he married her mom. I guess you can interpret it either way...
    Last edited by mmoc19274c1af3; 2018-04-14 at 04:08 AM.

But you keep rolling those eyes. It doesn't make you look even more ignorant than usual.
    The decision was clearly done for the sake of diversity. I don’t recall the father having a previous lover.
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

The decision was clearly done for the sake of diversity. I don’t recall the father having a previous lover.
    Who the fuck cares what you recall or don't? And she isn't John's, she's Maureen's. Which fits her new character quite well, actually. Which you'd know if you had even bother giving the show a chance, rather than whining on a WoW message forum about "whaa, she's a black kid, whaaaa" like a racist dip.

Who the fuck cares what you recall or don't? And she isn't John's, she's Maureen's. Which fits her new character quite well, actually. Which you'd know if you had even bother giving the show a chance, rather than whining on a WoW message forum about "whaa, she's a black kid, whaaaa" like a racist dip.
    I’m getting annoyed with how Hollywood changes a characters whole story, just to change the race and/or gender of a character for the sake of diversity. It’s the fucking Robinson family... they’re white and didn’t have children from previous marriages.

Deleted
    I’m getting annoyed with how Hollywood changes a characters whole story, just to change the race and/or gender of a character for the sake of diversity. It’s the fucking Robinson family... they’re white and didn’t have children from previous marriages.
    Usually I agree with you, but in this case it's not very important, no one care, and the fact that she have african heritage is not an excuse to have the trendy dialogue: "its so hard to be black in a white world" for the hundred time. The only time it's mentioned at all it's in ep 5 when she tell West that John is her father and that she was born before he married her mom... before telling him that she's fine with it. and that all... Thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    Got as far as the lake being completely liquid and then freezing solid in under a minute before giving up.
    yeah same with me, I found it lacking flow. I mean why was the craft crashing then boom, flashback about impending doom?

They make the point a couple times in the series that Judy isn't John's biological daughter, she was Judy's first daughter that he helped raise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    Meh, I questioned it myself but since it was an alien planet that wasn't so bad.

After episode 1 it gets really damn great! I ended up binge-watching the entire series! And I went into this with pretty low expectations as I was expecting some dark Nolanized-version. In some ways, the first episode kinda was - but it really grows in heart and depth after that first episode.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thealmightymoo View Post
    yeah same with me, I found it lacking flow. I mean why was the craft crashing then boom, flashback about impending doom?
    They do that a few select times throughout the series, and they're there to give you a sense of how that moment will impact the character as it usually relates in some way when they cut back to the scene. Also helps to give the backstory without having to do a straightforward "backstory" episode. The TV series LOST did that a lot.

Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Jesus Christ dude. Dial the hostility back a couple of levels. I get where you are coming from, and you have a point... but you don't need to be a dick to get your opinion across.

Deleted
    ok so far, does every tv show on netflix have flashbacks. lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post

Meh, I questioned it myself but since it was an alien planet that wasn't so bad.

After episode 1 it gets really damn great! I ended up binge-watching the entire series! And I went into this with pretty low expectations as I was expecting some dark Nolanized-version. In some ways, the first episode kinda was - but it really grows in heart and depth after that first episode.
    OK might give it another go. You better be right!