Thread: Holy gameplay

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Exclamation Holy gameplay

Hello guys.

It seems everyone is talking about ret changes, but what about holy?!

As far as I know there have been no big changes for holy in alpha.

I hope they have not looked into holy yet, because I would love to see major gameplay overhaul.

I cannot help myself, but after playing holy (PvE) for a while I still cannot get myself into that gameplay. It feels so clunky. I have been playing resto druid and resto shaman before. Both resto specs feel so fluid and intuitive.... They have just answer for almost every situation. They have mobility, great AoE, great utility and many passive heals. For me, both specs have been straightforward ,easy to play yet fun.

Holy paladin gameplay is different. Imo, it is less forgiving and more demanding, which is not bad by itself, but compared to resto it lacks that consistency and fluidity - gameplay wise. It lacks synergy. There are few talents that support "battle melee healer" style, yet the whole spec is far from that. Mastery based on proximity and LoD means that we stand in melee group, but we dont swing that hammer that much. We have Light of Martyr as our core ability, but it is almost completely useless. I cant get rid of the idea that holy paladins were just rushed in Legion.

So, what do you guys think about holy gameplay? What are your wishes for BfA?

P.S.: I will play paly in BfA no matter what, because their theme is just too epic.

I really hope they forget to look into Holy. Right now the spec is probably in the best it's been since the Holy Radiance crazy-fest of MoP. We got the best cds in game, we got the best single target healing and Tank healing is amazing as always. Light of Dawn is fun as always and honestly i dont get the need that everyone has to be a meele swinging healer, we're fine as it is.
    For the Glory of Mankind

Remove the charges from crusader strike because it feels clunky not being to always have some button to hit to provide DPS (situations are far and few between, but the point stands). Leave everything else the more or less the same. The last thing I want is to have some half assed remake like outlaw and subtlety had this expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellghast View Post
    We have Light of Martyr as our core ability,
    Wait, what? You're not supposed to use that as your 'core' ability. You use it alittle bit.

Just remove that 2H fantasy bullshit and that mastery which effectively forced me to play a different way after playing another way for more than a decade.

It's unbelievable.

I loathed resto shamans but I'm seriously considering stopping to play my epic holy paladin which accompanied me since vanilla and trade it for a filthy shaman.

At least they keep their beautiful shields, their spell animations don't sound like people grinding their teeth and they can continue to play ranged.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2018-03-08 at 04:05 PM.

I would create more reason to stand in melee and hit the boss, and reintroduce auras,blessing and seals.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Just remove that 2H fantasy bullshit and that mastery which effectively forced me to play a different way after playing another way for more than a decade.

It's unbelievable.

I loathed resto shamans but I'm seriously considering stopping to play my epic holy paladin which accompanied me since vanilla and trade it for a filthy shaman.

At least they keep their beautiful shields, their spell animations don't sound like people grinding their teeth and they can continue to play ranged.
    I mean Resto shaman mastery is pretty fucking dumb. Almost positive they hate it more than anyone would hate holy mastery or maybe just as much.

So far it seems like we have the option of 1h or 2H but it’s hard to confirm even on alpha. I agree with the spell animations we need some new ones.

Have to echo it's pretty well done as is, only a few things I'd like:

-Horse off gcd or replaced by old speed of light
    -Power of the silver hand trait in some form, there's a lot of gameplay in holding hs to build it up especially in m+
    -Lotm cloak in some form for the spot healing and mobility option, replace fervent martyr for it or something
    -Don't touch rule of law, it's so fun to use

It's more azerite armour that makes me anxious, depending on what the effects are who knows how much your gameplay could be changing whenever you get an upgrade.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I highly doubt they change holy. They havent touched it all expansion, and its consistently been strong. Im sorry you find it clunky but my experience has been the opposite. It does require a good deal of crit to get off the ground but a serious hpal should be able to get 45%+ crit now easy. Not having 50% crit for garunteed infusion of light on your flash is a bad day. Other than that tho its great like the others said.

Strong cds with tyrs, wings, am and potentially holy avenger.

Insane mana consumption. Some healers are crazy mana dependent where holy can really pick and choose when to burn it.

Tanky as heeeeeeeell. Even without prydaz, there is very little that can threaten you. Bubble, BoP, divine prot and judgement buff... then you have sac to help others, devo aura in m+ or pvp... its crazy strong.

I feel like a swiss army knife with my tool kit where my main choices are heals that hit like a hammer.

Aoe healing can be mildly challenging but grouped aoe is fine with LoD and sac/mercy does ok. Beacon of virtue covers it in 5 mans. But really, thats not our niche so...

Yea. I hope they dont mess with a good thing...

I do feel the need to edit and say my post reflects a pve perspective. Pvp is something I dabble in but am no means an expert.

Also #shockadin2018
    Last edited by Nuniqt; 2018-03-09 at 12:31 PM.

I agree with the most said there and I really hope for you PvE guys that they introduce some kind of Avenging Crusader skill.
    And take a look to the "useless" talents like: Holy Prism / Fervent Martyr

About PvP.

- I hate our Mastery, period. Maybe it is just to weak, but still you are not rewarded in PvP , you endanger yourself for nothing right now.

- Our heals burns mana really quick compared to the others healers. Even Playing with 2 Beacons.

- We are a bit too much CD dependent, but maybe its is just how the class should work.

- As i saw on Alpha, Blessing of Freedom on 45 sec cd is.... just bad.

Exept that i think that Holy does not require major re-works on PvP-side.
    Last edited by Juther; 2018-03-09 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post

It's unbelievable.

This. SUCH a turnoff for me when they made that change. I want shield back

The only change I want is horse to be removed from the GCD, as has been mentioned above, 2 charges to be baseline and for it to have a 30 sec CD.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of the calvalry/charge/knight for it but the fact that your steed just kinda pops in and out feels clunky. Id prefer removing it though and just making freedom have a speed boost tagged on.

Also i like the idea of a maraads cloak-like-affect replacing fervent martyr.

I hope they rework the strenght of our heals, i play mainly holy in arena and its garbage what our heals do without wings/avenger, its basically playing around your cd's to keep people alive and without wings/avenger your basically doomned to burn through your mana or risk falling behind, meanwhile druids/shamans keep their HoT's rolling and can conserve mana while doing it.

I would really like a HoT in some form that keeps my mates alive while being CC'ed or when im pushing in for dmg/cc, holy avenger was good but you cant play it against every comb.

7+ Year Old Account
    I hear ya. Even dabbling in pvp i feel a major difference. I think a shield would be more in flavor than a hot... just my 2c

I think they should remove the beacon of light x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    I hope they rework the strenght of our heals, i play mainly holy in arena and its garbage what our heals do without wings/avenger, its basically playing around your cd's to keep people alive and without wings/avenger your basically doomned to burn through your mana or risk falling behind, meanwhile druids/shamans keep their HoT's rolling and can conserve mana while doing it.

I would really like a HoT in some form that keeps my mates alive while being CC'ed or when im pushing in for dmg/cc, holy avenger was good but you cant play it against every comb.
    I agree that we need some passive heal.

My wishlist is following:

- change mastery to the old one that gives shield on direct heal

- make Consecration to also heal all allies standing in it

- change Light of Maryr to HoT/shield spell

- give us shield + 1h back
    Last edited by hellghast; 2018-03-11 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuniqt View Post
    I hear ya. Even dabbling in pvp i feel a major difference. I think a shield would be more in flavor than a hot... just my 2c
    They can honestly just change Bestow Faith into the WotlK Era Sacred Shield it's using its spell icon anyway.

Light of martyr the must stupid spell I have seen on my paladin. I want some sort of shield/dot I can use.

I have been playing Holy since 2005 and have played it for most of each expansion. I have seen the 5 minute blessing "buff-adin", BC with the beautiful downranking heals, the dawn of the Beacon, the interesting take in Cata and MOP, WOD, and now Legion. BC was definitely my favorite time to heal as a paladin (and Vanilla for the nostalgia), but Legion I would say we are ALL AROUND strong. It is fun to heal, to knockout some damage, and still be able to solo stuff in the world. I agree, it would be create if they left us alone for a bit. I personnally love the current state and feel really strong. I really don't like Judgment of Light and the Faith shield, but everything else is perfect.