Thread: Bully Hunters

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Bully Hunters

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/16/17...biunicorn-csgo

In just under 72 hours, the vigilante gaming group Bully Hunters went from an idealistic anti-harassment campaign to a prime example of what can happen when seemingly good intentions go wrong.

Bully Hunters is an initiative produced by marketing agency FCB Chicago, composed of an all-female organization made up of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive players trying to raise awareness of in-game harassment. The Bully Hunters website described the collective as a “vigilante hit squad of elite female gamers” who will enter CS:GO games when called upon, evaluate the situation and take out an offending player if the case is determined to be severe enough.
    Sounds noble, what could go wrong?

Reporters and other industry members criticized the group’s harassment countermeasures before the livestream ever kicked off. Their concerns were compounded after one host’s personal history of antagonizing people on Twitter and using homophobic language was dredged up, and questions about the involvement of companies like SteelSeries were aired. Even the use of pre-recorded footage during a live event raised alarms. It was the group’s anti-harassment techniques, however — which encouraged players to go in and take out bad actors — that drew the most ire.

Critics on Twitter started pointing at holes in the event’s setup, which led to almost everyone involved backing away from the disastrous stream. Even the Bully Hunters website and Twitter account were taken down over the weekend.

Companies like Vertagear, CyberPowerPC and SteelSeries — as well as nonprofit bodies like Diverse Gaming Coalition that partnered with the organization — are now distancing themselves from Bully Hunters following the overwhelmingly negative response to the event.
    LOOOOOL glass houses and all that....

Update: Brandon Cooke, FCB’s global chief communications officer, told Polygon via email today that the Bully Hunters program has come to an end.

Deleted
    unironically advocating for vigilante justice.

w o k e

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a horrible idea, can't see how that'd ever work out. Sounds like another go-fund-me/patreon scam.

Internet vigilantism.

What could possibly go wrong?

Care to elaborate on the relevance again? You mean some group join a shooting game, and coordinate to kill someone on the opposing team? Isn't that the whole idea in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

"vigilante hit squad of elite female gamers"

most hilarious and least scariest thing i've ever heard of.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Care to elaborate on the relevance again? You mean some group join a shooting game, and coordinate to kill someone on the opposing team? Isn't that the whole idea in the first place?
    Getting sponsored and claiming moral high ground for forming a griefing-squad is a bit douchey.

Self appointed grief squad that gets called in to revenge grief.

Not a good thing if your message is stopping harassment.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    wtf! just walk away from you monitor..jeesus christ lol

I'm not sure if their plan was to coordinate to kill a so called bully in game or to publicly shame them, either way instead of reducing game toxicity they exacerbated it 10 fold. I don't know how they thought that getting a group of female trolls to group up and troll nasty gamers was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Getting sponsored and claiming moral high ground for forming a griefing-squad is a bit douchey.
    I'd ask how is that different from PVP servers in wow, but it's alot. In favor of someone being griefed in shooter. In shooter the person can shoot back equally. In wow it's level and gear based ganking, giving the ganked zero chance at all.

There are only couple shooters I've played, and more often than not, if one is even decently skilled, one can deal with a group. Especially if you don't fight on the groups terms, but your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Someone post the tyler the creator tweet already. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    I'm not sure if their plan was to coordinate to kill a so called bully in game or to publicly shame them, either way instead of reducing game toxicity they exacerbated it 10 fold. I don't know how they thought that getting a group of female trolls to group up and troll nasty gamers was a good idea.
    Honest guess.

They all saw the anti-bully episode in the 90s (They were all the same) that taught kids a bully stops when bullied back. Not they step it up in response to being challenged.

There was one particularly hilarious moment where a Bully Hunter joined some Counterstrike game to hunt down some guy that had been talking shit to a woman. It was pretty sad and pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    "vigilante hit squad of elite female gamers"

most hilarious and least scariest thing i've ever heard of.
    I agree, totaly ridiculous, "elite female gamers". Beware !

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    There was one particularly hilarious moment where a Bully Hunter joined some Counterstrike game to hunt down some guy that had been talking shit to a woman. It was pretty sad and pointless.
    I could imagine most twitch streamers would be praying they got attacked by those female vigilantes. Their viewer numbers would go through the roof.

The first video result I got from googling "Bully Hunters" is a pink haired girl repeatedly calling people "faggots". Does this prove that if you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you? Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Damn it op you stole my posting idea. I'll see you in court!!!

This thing was a marketing disaster. Was it mentioned that they seemed to be partners with steele series? Anyway mister metokour vid sums it up. Also fun fact the leader of this group has called people faggots on twitter......oops.
    Haha sorry dude I saw Jeremy talking about it on his Quartering youtube and I couldn't resist

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...cts?p=49215361

A previous thread about this whole thing. Talk about a dumpster fire, holy crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fight bullying with bullying!