Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Singapore looking to install facial recognition camera's in 110.000 street lights

Singapore to test facial recognition on street lights

The Singapore government is planning to pilot technology installed on streetlight posts to help authorities pick out and recognise faces in crowds across the island-state.

The plan to install the cameras, which will be linked to facial recognition software, is raising privacy fears among security experts and rights groups.

The government said the system would allow it to "perform crowd analytics" and support anti-terror operations.

More here:
    https://www.itnews.com.au/news/singa...-lights-489000

If it is only looking for wanted criminals, sure. If it scans and stores you in a database and tracks your behaviors then no. I think intent matters with something this large, and any system like this can be abused.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    If it is only looking for wanted criminals, sure. If it scans and stores you in a database and tracks your behaviors then no. I think intent matters with something this large, and any system like this can be abused.
    Many Asian countries love these kinda developments. They arent held back by privacy issues like Western countries.

It would also work well for China in addition to their new "social credit system".

The authorities have no interest in ordinary people just going about living their daily lives.

Good, now there is no way those gum chewers will escape justice ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Many Asian countries love these kinda developments. They arent held back by privacy issues like Western countries.

It would also work well for China in addition to their new "social credit system".
    Well I like my privacy even if it is mostly an illusion, population does come into play though and it makes sense to have something like that with a disgustingly large pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    The authorities have no interest in ordinary people just going about living their daily lives.
    How do you know?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Could BFA be WOD 2.0?

Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cradyz View Post
    Good, now there is no way those gum chewers will escape justice ever again.
    It's not criminal to chew gums so that makes no sense to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    lol, Singapore being authoritarian as usual.

The argument will be that behavior tracking is "how'" this will be used to get criminals. This will absolutely be abused.

I think they were being sarcastic

They did forget the /s though.

Could BFA be WOD 2.0?

Possibly.

Yes? That's importing, not chewing. Do you even read what you post?

The blue square is a woman most foul... she didn't make her rendang proper, the chicken wasn't crispy! (LINK)
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-04-16 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    See the part where you have to have a prescription? And I think they may have also been referring to someone spitting gum out. Which is also a crime. Like walking on grass(for whatever reason). Good luck with your goal to have no human rights!
    Chewing is not criminal, as the other poster was implying.

See the part where you have to have a prescription? And I think they may have also been referring to someone spitting gum out. Which is also a crime. Like walking on grass(for whatever reason). Good luck with your goal to have no human rights!
    I'm actually astounded over the fact you can't buy chewing gum, unless you have a prescription. What the fuck? And spitting gum out?! God forbid that ever happens.

Sorry, this is going off-topic.

OT: Is Singapore close to becoming a benevolent dictatorship? Actions like those make it seem so.
    Last edited by Shufflez; 2018-04-16 at 01:18 PM.

Could BFA be WOD 2.0?

Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shufflez View Post
    How do you know?
    Why do you think you as an ordinary person who is just living your life is of any interest to the authorities? You're not that important.

FINE buzzkill, imported, non doctor prescribed gum chewers...

Obviously it isn't illegal to chew gum in Singapore, you just need a doctor's permission. I mean, if the gum you are chewing isn't for medical/ therapeutic (dental/ nicotine) reasons you are chewing illegally imported gum and thus are a criminal after all.

If you are chewing gum but there is no police officer around to check if you have a doctor prescription, could it really be illegal? A question for the philosophers. /s

Point being, just Singapore being authoritarian. And OT probably will use this tech to do more authoritarian things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

It is if you don’t have a prescription or are chewing illegal gum.
    No, it isn't. Point me to the statute that makes it criminal to chew gums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Knows damn well that you're not allowed to chew gum, but argues about it anyway.

In China, it is used for "Did you visit your parents?", "How often do you go to public bath?",
    "Did you eat a dog?" "How many mistresses do you have? 5 is too much".

It is a lot like the karma points.