Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You can't just inject a bunch of species and expect things to be balanced instantly.
    Nobody is talking about introducing random species, but a ressurected extinct species that was a part of the current ecosystem of New Zealand.
    Why do you think invasive species are so bad? because it becomes an escalating situation. You need to keep bring in difference species to control the once before which then kills of current local species.
    This wouldn't just be reintroducing an animal for fun, but an effort to restore an incomplete ecosystem that was made incomplete by humans. Haast's eagle, the moa, the adzebill and the laughing owl were all made extinct by humans and if humans had never colonized New Zealand, they would still be around.

In regards to the local species, the eagles themselves are a local species.

Lucy, I don't know if she's our direct ancestor or off on her own branch of the Tree of Life.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Because it'd be funny to see Creationists deal with other species of humans.
    Just let them watch Jersey Shore.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Lucy, I don't know if she's our direct ancestor or off on her own branch of the Tree of Life.
    She was just another chimp species.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I say bring back the Dodo. I hear they tasted good
    Anything we bring back should serve multiple purposes including being a food source.

Oh? NZ has a deer population problem?

Sounds like they need to import some Americans to go huntin
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Nobody is talking about introducing random species, but a ressurected extinct species that was a part of the current ecosystem of New Zealand.

This wouldn't just be reintroducing an animal for fun, but an effort to restore an incomplete ecosystem that was made incomplete by humans. Haast's eagle, the moa, the adzebill and the laughing owl were all made extinct by humans and if humans had never colonized New Zealand, they would still be around.

In regards to the local species, the eagles themselves are a local species.

The current ecosystem has already replaced those species. Adding them back would be the same as adding an invasive species.

The current ecosystem has already replaced those species. Adding them back would be the same as adding an invasive species.
    And what species has taken the ecological role of the Haast's eagle?

10+ Year Old Account
    And what species has taken the ecological role of the Haast's eagle?

What would they prey on now?

What would they prey on now?
    Large terrestrial animals, which could and probably should include the moa, another candidate for deextinction. As New Zealand (and other geographically isolated regions that bore the brunt of human colonization) stands, it's ecosystems are fractions of what they once were and it's because of human overhunting. We think they're complete because we've grown up seeing nothing but those fragments. Like an unfinished puzzle where pieces have been thrown away.

If you ain't talking Dodos, I ain't gon' listen!!!!

WE.NEED.DODOS!!

I want sabertooth cats back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Large terrestrial animals, which could and probably should include the moa, another candidate for deextinction. As New Zealand (and other geographically isolated regions that bore the brunt of human colonization) stands, it's ecosystems are fractions of what they once were and it's because of human overhunting. We think they're complete because we've grown up seeing nothing but those fragments. Like an unfinished puzzle where pieces have been thrown away.

Which would then put competition on the current species that eat them. Any any you bring in create more competition for other animal.

They may be fractions of what they were but they are balanced around what they have now. Throwing in something that hasn't been there for hundreds of years is like throwing a wrench in the spokes of a bike.

Which would then put competition on the current species that eat them. Any any you bring in create more competition for other animal.
    That's the thing though, nothing eat thems, because they're mostly invasive. It would essentially be a positive form of rewilding where a native predatory species reduces the population of invasive species to a manageable level like with dingoes being reintroduced to parts of Australia strongly correlating with the decline of invasive cats and foxes.

Deleted
    bring back neanderthal man, just one bloke, we can call him christopher, put him in a zoo and kids can throw peanuts at him

Can we all agree that invasive species are bad and stick to what would be cool to see again?

I’ll go with those giant dragonflies. Sure, they’d get re-extincted pretty fast, but I’d make a killing with my new flamethrower business!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    10,000 is barely an evolutionary blink of an eye, much less a measly size centuries.
    We're not talking about evolutionary changes. This is about ecology; ecosystems can change greatly in mere decades. Sorry, your idea is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    How is the predator in question foreign again?
    It hasn't existed in the region for 600+ years. The local ecosystem has moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    We're not talking about evolutionary changes. This is about ecology; ecosystems can change greatly in mere decades. Sorry, your idea is horrible.

It hasn't existed in the region for 600+ years. The local ecosystem has moved on.
    Tell that to the wolves of Yellowstone, who were wiped out and brought back years later, causing profound ecological changes that benefited every member of the food chain, what is called a trophic cascade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell that to the wolves of Yellowstone, who were wiped out and brought back years later, causing profound ecological changes that benefited every member of the food chain, what is called a trophic cascade.

? Wolfs in Yellowstone was only about a 50 year gap from being hunted out to reintroduced. Your talking about animals that have been gone many hundreds of years.

? Wolfs in Yellowstone was only about a 50 year gap from being hunted out to reintroduced. Your talking about animals that have been gone many hundreds of years.
    Centuries is nothing in evolutionary time. 600 years or even a few thousand years ago we were still in the Holocene. Hell, muskox were extinct in Northern Eurasia for over a thousand years, only to be reintroduced to Scandinavia and Siberia, where they rebound and became reestablished in the ecosystem. Because muskox evolved alongside species like wolves, brown bears, reindeer and tundra foliage, just like how the Haast's eagle and moa evolved alongside kiwis, kakapos and every single endemic plant and animal species in New Zealand.