Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Khelek View Post
    This is another example of how standards of excellence are falling all over the western world. The Pulitzer Prizes, Hugo Awards, and even some Nobel Prizes (I'm looking at you Peace Prize) among others have gone to shit. They have become symbols used to promote an ideology rather than highlight and reward real achievement.
    That includes the nobel prize for literature that went to Bob Dylan?

- - - Updated - - -

Like with most prizes you've heard of, it's a popularity contest. Otherwise, you wouldn't have heard of it, because all the nominees would be people that are very specialized and outside public interest.
    Mother pus bucket!

the eminem show or marshal mathers should have won it
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Ahem, we have the 21st century version of the greatest rock band of all time on the rise. Greta Van Fleet has been dubbed by many, including Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant, as being the 21st century version of said band, that's some pretty.high praise. And those guys have oodlers more talent than any rapper. Music and art comes from more than just writing a song, and it doesn't take talent to speak words into a microphone and make rhymes on a drum beat. It takes talent to go out and play and be incredibly good as an instrumentalist, and it takes talent to not play the same song the same way at every gig. That's the problem with rap, pop and most modern music, there is no improvisation so everything is repetitive, most rappers can't freestyle.
    Wait so you're saying...

Writing doesn't take talent? Anybody can be a lyricist? That is no talent is placing vocals over a song/beat/melody? And then you're saying a rapper, particularly the most prolific ones, no knowing about instruments or performing?

Its one thing to say "meh, rap isn't for me", its another to claim be able to criticize entire genres without understanding the nuance of said genre.

Most people commenting have never read a pulitzer winning book or listening to a Kendrick album to say anything. I see one person posted the lyrics to a song as to criticize it albeit without understanding any of the allusions or how it fits into overall album, like saying The Godfather sucks because it features of bunch of murderous backstabbing criminals. This album didn't win because it sold a lot, it didn't even win album of the year. I personally think its in part a retroactive award for To Pimp A Butterfly, which is even more technical. Its funny that some people still view as shallow, idiotic, simplistic, etc without the acknowledging the various styles, subgenres. and tiers of the genre. Its like if I used Nickleback to judge rock...all of rock. Most people will say a record is good i you put on a slow piano, maybe some soft strings, and slow melodic voice regardless of lyrics/context/originality. Instead of seeing how this opens the door to for more musicians all ALL non-classical genres to be recognized for exceptional work people want to say, "omg I can't believe a rapper got an award, you can't spell rap without crap amirite."
    Last edited by PACOX; 2018-04-19 at 10:39 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I find it more bizarre that people think rap isn't the genre right now that is pushing the most boundaries. This is an award which has only ever been awarded to classical music, the Pulitzer committee decided to join the 21st century - to which artist/genre should they have given it?

Rock? Rock is pretty dead these days. Maybe they should have dug through all those Swedish screamo metal bands. Metal is about the only real rock left, and none of it really pushes boundaries for what it is. Maybe we can give it out for Brendan Urie's latest Panic! At the Disco emo piece of trash album. Rock has come a long way since even the 90s, and that journey has been a steady decline.

Pop? Should we give it to Katy Perry? Pop has been worthless for 20 years.

Country? Please. This is a genre where if you deviate too far from a norm you get lambasted. Kind of similar to the rigidness you see in metal, actually.

Maybe some EDM? I hear Marshmello gives good acceptance speeches.

Honestly, I want you to name a genre as good as rap right now. It's only gotten better in the 35+ years of its inception. Yeah, you get derivative work like you do in all genres. But rap consistently experiments, pushes boundaries, and is one of the only musical forms left that actually sometimes occasionally puts out music which says something. It isn't derided when it tries something new, it evolves and gets better for it. I like all music, I was a metalhead in the late 90s after loving grunge for the early 90s, and loved MJ and Prince in the 80s. But rap is what I've gravitated to over the past 15 years, and it's because it's put out the best music in that time period.
    The greatest amount of boundary pushing is happening in black metal, not rap or hip hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I agree with it. First, I hope some of you know there is a music category and its given every year. One genre shouldn't dominate, that is basically saying this, "we've decided classical is the best music and the only intelligent music" which to them may be true but is merely an opinion. Think there is a word for this, pretentious comes to mind. it is about time they recognized there has been many great non Classical albums over the years. They are default that, that type of music is the only way, which is nonsense.

DAMN. is really solid, well told, and all around great. I'll go as far to say that, to Pimp a Butterfly would be a good enough musical to win a Tony. If well preformed. The guy is supremely talented and deserves his recognition. Sadly, it has taken this long to get out of the classical music echo chamber for the pulitzer, because they've missed other fantastic albums from various genres over they past 20 years. I don't think its SJW crap, but if it is, fuck it I'll take it, if it means Classical doesn't always win. There isn't a single way Classical genre wins every time, that is merely preconceived Bias at some point. I love Rock music, but I don't think there is any way I can say that every year a Rock album is the best musical piece created. It would be bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Before sure, this year DAMN. was easily the best Rap product out there. It wasn't a stellar release year for a Pulitzer level rap album. The problem is it's taken this long for them to even elect any other genre.
    Best rap product so what? Thats like being the best pile of shit. Its not hard to be good in the current climate. Still dsnt deserve a Pulitzer.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Here are the Lyrics from this song "Humble":

[Music video version:] Wicked or weakness, you gotta see this, waaaaay (yeah, yeah!)
    [Regular version:] Nobody pray for me, it been that day for me, waaaaay (yeah, yeah!)

Aye, I remember syrup sandwiches and crime allowances
    Finesse a nigga with some counterfeits
    But now I'm counting this
    Parmesan where my accountant lives in fact I'm down at this
    D'usśe with my boo bae, tastes like kool aid for the analysts
    Girl, I can buy your ass the world with my paystub
    Ooh that pussy good, won't you sit it on my taste bloods
    I get way too petty once you let me do the extras
    Pull up on your block, then break it down we playing Tetris
    A.M. to the P.M., P.M. to the A.M. funk
    Piss out your per diem you just gotta hate em, funk
    If I quit your BM I still ride Mercedes, funk
    If I quit this season I still be the greatest, funk
    My left stroke just went viral
    Right stroke put lil baby in a spiral
    Soprano C, we like to keep it on a high note
    It's levels to it, you and I know, bitch be humble

(Hol' up bitch) sit down,
    (Hol' up lil bitch, hol' up, lil bitch) be humble
    (Hol' up bitch) sit down (sit down hol' up lil bitch)
    Be humble (bitch)
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up) bitch sit down
    Lil bitch (hol' up lil bitch) be humble
    (Hol' up bitch) sit down
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up) be humble
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up lil bitch) sit down
    (Hol' up lil bitch) be humble
    (Hol' up bitch) sit down (hol' up sit down lil bitch)
    (Sit down lil bitch) be humble
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up lil bitch) bitch, sit down
    (Hol' up bitch) sit down
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up)

Who dat nigga thinking that he fronting on man man (man man)
    Get the fuck off my stage, I'm the sandman (sandman)
    Get the fuck off my dick, that ain't right
    I make a play fucking up your whole life
    I'm so fucking sick and tired of the Photoshop
    Show me something natural like afro on Richard Pryor
    Show me something natural like ass with some stretch marks
    Still will take you down right on your mamma's couch in polo socks, aye
    This shit way too crazy, aye
    You do not amaze me, aye
    I blew cool from AC, aye
    Obama just paged me, aye
    I don't fabricate it, aye
    Most of ya'll be faking, aye
    I stay modest bout it, aye
    She elaborate it, aye
    This that Grey Poupon, that Evian, that Ted Talk, aye
    Watch my soul speak, you let the meds talk, aye
    If I kill a nigga it won't be the alcohol, aye
    I'm the realest nigga after all, bitch be humble

(Hol' up bitch) sit down,
    (Hol' up lil bitch, hol' up, lil bitch) be humble
    (Hol' up bitch) sit down (sit down hol' up lil bitch)
    Be humble (bitch)
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up) bitch sit down
    (Lil bitch) (hol' up lil bitch) be humble
    (Hol' up bitch) sit down
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up) be humble
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up lil bitch) sit down
    (Hol' up bitch) sit down (hol' up sit down lil bitch)
    (Sit down lil bitch) be humble
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up lil bitch) bitch, sit down
    (Hol' up bitch) sit down
    (Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up)
    Humble is probably the worst song since the masterpiece that was "Stupid Hoe" by Nicki Minaj.
    Owner & Operator of The Barrens Grind Support Group
    Survivor of Early TBC Ganklethorn Vale
    Horde Till I Die

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Castrum View Post
    Humble is probably the worst song since the masterpiece that was "Stupid Hoe" by Nicki Minaj.
    Pulitzer price level stupid.

5+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, we all know what the first Pulitzer rap song should have been: https://youtu.be/k3jlviX88iw

At least that one was funny.
    Owner & Operator of The Barrens Grind Support Group
    Survivor of Early TBC Ganklethorn Vale
    Horde Till I Die

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Ahem, we have the 21st century version of the greatest rock band of all time on the rise. Greta Van Fleet has been dubbed by many, including Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant, as being the 21st century version of said band, that's some pretty.high praise. And those guys have oodlers more talent than any rapper. Music and art comes from more than just writing a song, and it doesn't take talent to speak words into a microphone and make rhymes on a drum beat. It takes talent to go out and play and be incredibly good as an instrumentalist, and it takes talent to not play the same song the same way at every gig. That's the problem with rap, pop and most modern music, there is no improvisation so everything is repetitive, most rappers can't freestyle.
    Except Greta Van Fleet is derivative as fuck. The first time I heard them I thought they were a Led Zeppelin cover band, until I realized they were singing their own original songs. That isn't innovative or award-worthy. And here's a hint: Robert Plant likes them because they sound like him.

Saying GVF is more talented than Kendrick is pretty hilarious just because they can play instruments. They're totally aping some other sound from 50 years ago.

Reminds me of this;

lol

P.S. -- Rap sucks.

Deleted
    smh at all the Pullitzer posers in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    DAMN is not his best album but anyways a bunch of boring nerds who listen to shit like Lindsey Stirling unironically and are stuck in their dadrock phases are going to shit on a rap artist surprise surprise.

Oh and also pretend like they've given a shit about Pulitzers for years lol

Also, black metal is more innovative than rap? LoL. Black metal, as far as I can tell, is a reactionary style trying to go back to metal's "roots" as they judge them, because NuMetal deviates too far from some norm for them.

That being said, I haven't really listened to metal since the 90s. As someone who has appreciated almost every genre (including the classical music Pulitzers normally go to), rap is the only game in town, once you dig past all the jock jam radio hits.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    But rap consistently experiments, pushes boundaries
    That could be said about any genre depending who you ask. The notion is absurd. Meanwhile, I still struggle to understand why anybody would listen to HipHop. Well not really. People do all kinds of silly shit. I more struggle with the notion that HipHop is being perceived as music. Whatever. The point is that, as I said, these prizes are political bullshit and have little to do with music.

Why would hip-hop not be music outside of some weird bias on the part of the listener?

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda funny how his worst record wins it. Anyway if they're giving it to a rapper should have gone to MC Rockeye for me.

k dot is a real one. Nobody who isn't a basement dweller is surprised by this.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Here are the Lyrics from this song "Humble"
    This is the part where you post the lyrics for your favorite song at the moment and we all get to chuckle about how insipid and stupid they are when stripped of all context and performance, right?

DAMN is very good but To Pimp A Butterfly was monumental in it's musicality. This is a catch-up more than an honoring of the specific work on DAMN.

It's a shame serious musical consideration is consistently late as in Alice & John's atonal work or Rollins' abroad period of expressionistic melody.