Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lack of awareness in PvP

Generally speaking, when I do PvP, people are quite clueless and not very adaptive. Some don't even appear to read the chat.

Why is this? Why does it seem like some people just aren't thinking? I'm not talking about little mistakes that everyone makes. No, my issue is with players who will trickle into the enemy zerg(One case that really bugged me was players swimming across the river on Gilneas one by one and dying, leaving WW undefended), players who will not even acknowledge call outs, players who will just sit at one base in one big group and do nothing, players sitting in the middle of Temple and not going after orbs when 3/4 sit on pedestals.

This lack of awareness and ability to be decisive bugs me deeply as a healer. I'm not a PvP pro by any means, I don't even think I'd rank in at 1700. But so many losses in BGs are more often rooted in incompetence than lack of ability to play their class effectively.

On Illidan Horde, and Stormrage Alliance, my experiences as a healer have been largely the same. My guild rationalized it as being a result of the faction skew on these realms. The larger faction on the realm tends to get less experienced or committed players in their BGs.

Before you make too many assumptions of me: I am not trying to be some BG armchair commander micromanaging people like I'm playing Starcraft. I am not toxic to other players, this won't get me the results I want, it will just break the team. And I don't think of myself as the better PvPer than these people. I make fuck ups too, even using all my CDs. sometimes I can't keep some people alive when they are being bursted by just one person.

So what can I do to better my teams' odds of winning the BG? I know not all of them are from Nemesis and can read what myself and others type. I try to discuss a strategy and make call outs and hope other people do the same but it doesn't always work, some times it's like people didn't even read one thing that was being discussed by the group.

I believe random BGs are just random. Could be new players or inexperienced people. More than likely, people just looking to casually play bgs. I'm not sure if the server you're on has anything to do with it (they removed battle groups). I've had BGs where people are just lacking the situational awareness and getting stomped and others where my team is doing the stomping. I've found that if I wanted a better experience in BGs, hoping in a rated bg group usually has better team work type experience. Other wise it's just the nature of the beast.
    Always check links before clicking

Quote Originally Posted by DoomDeezy View Post
    I believe random BGs are just random. Could be new players or inexperienced people. More than likely, people just looking to casually play bgs. I'm not sure if the server you're on has anything to do with it (they removed battle groups). I've had BGs where people are just lacking the situational awareness and getting stomped and others where my team is doing the stomping. I've found that if I wanted a better experience in BGs, hoping in a rated bg group usually has better team work type experience. Other wise it's just the nature of the beast.
    I guess I will have to get into RBGs than, since BGs won't give me what I want. It's just frustrating, I give it my all and we get no where. But you are right, I have had some amazing BG experiences and others where it felt like our team was playing with their feet while watching Netflix.

On a side note, I never knew the Battlegroups were removed. That's actually pretty cool.

Random bgs are random, sometimes i just join a bg to kill people, i dont care about rewards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    People just aren't good in PVP, even myself, I've been a challenger every single freaken season that the challenger title has been a feat of strength.. I've also been top 10% rival, top 10% and top 35% in Rated BG's... but I feel that I'm barely in the top 50% sometimes when it comes to random BG's.. Team matters, communication matters, comp matters, and if your team ACTUALLY WANTS TO WIN.. it all matters

Various reasons: People's skill is much more varied than most belive, some just can't press buttons and read chat at the same time. Others are just grinding out prestige levels while watching Netflix and are just following the largest group of players to avoid getting afk flagged. Some are just out to kill other players and don't care about winning. And some just don't know the tactics and don't understand chat or avoid reading it since it's usually flaming. I also believe there are some trolls just out to sabotage for the rest...

What you can do is play your best, go for objectives. Not everyone understands the tactics of a bg, try explain to people what to do. Be constructive, don't say "Don't fight in the middle", instead say "Stand in the circle of the cart". Don't say "omg no one attacks the healers", instead say "attack the druid healer at LH". Sometimes (very rarely) people do listen and that can turn the tide. I keep yelling "Pick up the orb" in Temple as soon as there is one available. Most of the time no one cares, but sometimes you will see a player break off from fighting and go grab the orb.

I've almost stopped playing random bg at alliance, despite having toons on "very alliance" server - Ravencrest.
    On most occasions people come to random bg undergeared (me being 960ish and others ~900-930), don't know how to play or don't care. That's sad, cause i like playing bg's, and rated bg's are just not the same (you have to be much more focused).
    The best part is: when you tell people how to play or what errors to they make, you'll get ostracized / ridiculed / called names.
    So yeah, You either go with half premade, or just don't play on alliance.
    OR
    You can do what i did - roll a horde toon, cause statistics show, they tend to win most of the pvp oriented bgs: http://wow-stats.com/bgwr01.html

Alliance wins pve bg's (IOC and AV), but most of the people blacklist them.

Because theres a lot more going on than what you see - a lot of people are probably just tabbing out to change a song, shouting across the room, taking 2 min to finish cooking lunch, going for a snack, grabbing a drink, writing an email, its random BGs, people who take BGs seriously either run a premade or RBGs. Random BGs are just to kill time.

Do rbg's. It's easier for new players to jump right in to pvp, so random bg's are usually filled with new players, many of whom aren't even sure how to gear up decently, so you can't really have high expectations. Best you can do if you're going to do random bg's is keep trying to call stuff out and be helpful. Eventually some of those players are going to notice and get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazdum View Post
    Random bgs are random, sometimes i just join a bg to kill people, i dont care about rewards.
    When you are in that mood, you should queue for 2v2 skirmishes. BGs are objective based and the majority of players are there for some type of reward that is contingent on winning. Don't be an asshole, if all you want to do is kill then join a random queue designed for that purpose.

Deleted
    Players in a PvP instance seem to act like mobs in a dungeon: they all aim for the tank instead of the healer behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Why Am I Here View Post
    Generally speaking, when I do PvP, people are quite clueless and not very adaptive. Some don't even appear to read the chat.

Why is this? Why does it seem like some people just aren't thinking? I'm not talking about little mistakes that everyone makes. No, my issue is with players who will trickle into the enemy zerg(One case that really bugged me was players swimming across the river on Gilneas one by one and dying, leaving WW undefended), players who will not even acknowledge call outs, players who will just sit at one base in one big group and do nothing, players sitting in the middle of Temple and not going after orbs when 3/4 sit on pedestals.

This lack of awareness and ability to be decisive bugs me deeply as a healer. I'm not a PvP pro by any means, I don't even think I'd rank in at 1700. But so many losses in BGs are more often rooted in incompetence than lack of ability to play their class effectively.

On Illidan Horde, and Stormrage Alliance, my experiences as a healer have been largely the same. My guild rationalized it as being a result of the faction skew on these realms. The larger faction on the realm tends to get less experienced or committed players in their BGs.

Before you make too many assumptions of me: I am not trying to be some BG armchair commander micromanaging people like I'm playing Starcraft. I am not toxic to other players, this won't get me the results I want, it will just break the team. And I don't think of myself as the better PvPer than these people. I make fuck ups too, even using all my CDs. sometimes I can't keep some people alive when they are being bursted by just one person.

So what can I do to better my teams' odds of winning the BG? I know not all of them are from Nemesis and can read what myself and others type. I try to discuss a strategy and make call outs and hope other people do the same but it doesn't always work, some times it's like people didn't even read one thing that was being discussed by the group.
    There's not much you can do. People criple themselves by flooding their screen with addons they don't even setup correctly and shit. I mean, no one's game looks the same as the next guy and some people really don't know how to be efficient. Just that is enough to make a big difference in skills. I've heard of people not having a button to move forward, they force themselves to push both mouse buttons to move and they strafe with F1 and F3, that's right, you heard me, fucking strafe with Fkeys.

How can anyone help these people? They literally need a shrink at that point, the stupidity is out of control. And of course if someone gives them tip on how to play better they will say "don't tell me how to play my class" or "it's my game I play how I want" or even worse "you just get used to it".

Some people just don't strive to better themselves, they wrongly believe nothing they do is incorrect and never try to improve because they think they're already at the top and if they seem to suck in the scores or rating they just blame something else.

At this point the real problem is that we can't even get these shits out of the game, Blizzard will protect them because they would rather have that money instead of a better game, because yes these people make the game worse for the real players. If you tell them the truth (that they suck) they are allowed to report you for language, but there's no way to report them for being toxicly stupid.

I hate this world and society that protects and enable morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    When you are in that mood, you should queue for 2v2 skirmishes. BGs are objective based and the majority of players are there for some type of reward that is contingent on winning. Don't be an asshole, if all you want to do is kill then join a random queue designed for that purpose.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazdum View Post
    No.
    You are a special snowflake aren't you! I am sure you have gotten used to not having friends in life so not having friends in the game seems normal, but the world in general is much nicer when you consider how you affect other people and form relationships that are mutually beneficial.

Try it, you might have more fun.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I like to go for the objective. Usually this means I find myself paired up with one other person who is also doing the objective.

I AFK when I find myself with such a group as a healer (in b4 angry DPS players calling me out on this).

Quote Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
    I AFK when I find myself with such a group as a healer (in b4 angry DPS players calling me out on this).
    I think that is legitimate. There is enough to do that I will afk out of a silly game as well, sometimes I do it before the gates open if I don't feel like playing a 25 minute AB game. Do some WQ while debuff drops, a dungeon maybe or log an alt. No reason to punish yourself.

random bgs for me is always a warm-up to get my fingers going for rated rbgs or arena. skirmishes are over way to fast.

having said that, i use my DND chat tab(which displays absolutely nothing so i am oblivious to all (toxic) chat), and usually don't pay attention to objectives tbh. my goal is to find healers, completely lock them down and make them irrelevant, then see how many DPS i can kill in the shortest possible window after healers are M.I.A. call it neglect, call it being counteractive to the win, I am not in a random bg to get a lockbox or reward, but simply just to PvP

random bgs = casual, wgaf imho
    Last edited by Auberdeen; 2018-04-20 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    random bgs = casual, wgaf imho
    Just because you don't care does not mean other people do not care. You are essentially having fun at other people's expense. You are not a special snowflake, and the world does not exist to please you and only you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Often in a random battle ground I have my text box closed.